Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliethomas

Flour/Sugar drawers

EllieThomas
12 years ago

Has anyone seen drawers like this? I really like them and as some know, I am doing a summer kitchen for canning and harvesting. These would be awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (23)

• gardenpea_gw
    12 years ago

Not exactly like those, but my mom had three deep regular plain drawers in the house they built in 1954, and she used them for sugar, flour, and cornmeal loose in the drawer. We lived in the Deep South, and she never had problems with bugs. Real convenient to just dip out what was needed. She had a pullout just above the drawers for rolling out dough.

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm thinking that sugar and salt would be awesome in bulk like that for my canning kitchen.

I've searched but simply cannot find them. Also wrote to her but she does not accept emails. :(

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

There was someone on this forum... probably a few years ago now; that had those drawers as a decorative end on their island. They put colored pasta/beans in them. It looked really nice but I'd worry about the little bugs. There's no way I can remember who it was... anyone else whose an old timer like me remember?

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

This is from a thread from over a year back. It's sally123's kitchen bins. She ordered the inserts from Custom Inserts. They fabricate custom and I linked them below:

I'm still bound and determine to find the pics I'm thinking about...

Here is a link that might be useful: custom inserts

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

I know Medallion has those types of drawers. Attached is a link -- they are showing pasta in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medallion dry goods drawers

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are great! I like the inserts but would really like seeing what is in the drawer from the outside. Seems to be old fashioned.

You guys are great with coming up with stuff saving me hours of frustration(though I am still looking, lol)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I could not find the kitchen I was thinking of but here's a link with google images of pasta drawers. When you enlarge an individual picture they usually have the source of where it comes from. Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: pasta drawers

• misntroya
    12 years ago

The original ones were made by a company called Sherer and are known as seed cabinets. The are quite highly sought after, very well made and are wonderful for an unfitted or vintage kitchen as an island, because you'd want to see them from both ends. One side shows the seeds, the other side has the drawers. Westiegirl has one in her delicious kitchen.

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm trying to find Westiegirl's kitchen...no luck so far.

Thanks for the idea of looking at pasta drawers and I am on the Sherer seed cabinets.

Ellie

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i was thinking of having inserts fabricated for flour/sugar storage in drawers but then i remembered finding some yummy worms in the flour the last time i went to use it. i figure it's probably best to store it in the freezer.

just thinking of those worms makes me cringe. how do they get in there anyway??

• kfhl
    12 years ago

I saw the pasta drawers in a Schuler/Medallion brochure in an island. They look pretty, but I'm not sure how much they hold. They may be mostly decorative.

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those drawers do look small and I am thinking functional for sure.

Kate, I have found a sure thing in keeping the bugs at bay and I live out in the country. I put all dry goods in the freezer for two to three weeks, killing all the creepy crawly eggs that are in stuff. I keep a shelf empty in the freezer for that purpose.

It actually works. For the most part, the bugs are eggs in the goods before we bring them home. Anyway, that isn't for ants or anything but those pesky flour pests.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I've only seen drawers like that, made from metal, with a sliding cover that keeps the bugs out. The glass is pretty, but I don't think it would keep the bugs out. If there are worms coming in with your flour...talk to the store. I had that problem with cornmeal and had to start buying a different brand. Then, no more problem :)

• westiegirl
    12 years ago

My seed counter that misntroya kindly mentioned is pictured below. It is an antique that I don't use for it's original purpose. The front glass portions are only about 3/4 inch deep and purely decorative. Any items that I have put in so far have been selected for being "bug free or resistant". The peppermint candies are actually Styrofoam wrapped in red and clear paper that I found at the craft store in the wreath making section.

The back of the piece has the drawers that are almost as deep as the entire cabinet. The sides and bottom are made of galvanized metal. I store extra paper products, towels and whatnot in the drawers. No flour or sugar! I also freeze my flour when it arrives from the store. It then goes in a tightly sealing, pretty glass jar from Walmart that cost $4! I also remember seeing the inserts that remodelfla shows above, but decided that trying to keep them clean and the flour fresh would be more trouble than they were worth. They do look very cool however!

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for showing off your beautiful kitchen. What a cool antique that is, the drawers. I too keep my flour in the glass jar from WM after I've frozen it for some time.

I just loved the look and for salt and sugar that is used so much in a canning kitchen, thought it would be neat to look into the drawers.

ellie

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

For the most part, the bugs are eggs in the goods before we bring them home.

I could have gone the rest of my life without reading that sentence. GAAAAAAH.

• catherinenow
    12 years ago

I have a pair of flour sugar drawers put into my new kitchen and I love them. They are two simple side by side drawers lined with laminate, and with a sliding plexiglass top that closes when the drawer closes. My cabinet maker made them. I go through a lot of flour with baking and don't have bug problems. But I live in BC. Pre-reno I used those plastic drawers that you find at walmart etc for my flour and sugar.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

I'm getting those exact drawers! My cabinets are Pioneer, made in Michigan. Don't have them yet to show pix. I plan on storing potatoes and onions, and haven't decided for the other 2 drawers yet.

• EllieThomas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll look up those cabinets online to see if I can find them. Thank you.

• doc8404
    12 years ago

On the little buggies: I bake every other day and therefore, buy my flour in 50# bags so obviously, the freezer method doesn't work for me.

Instead, I do like my gramma taught me and throw one or two bay leaves into the bag.

Never had a problem with bugs.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I posted 3 years ago, so an update - here are my glass drawers. The bottom two, I store potatoes and onions. The top 2 I have blocked off to make the fronts decorative. I have multi-colored pasta in one and I change out seasonal candies in the other.

• tempe110
    9 years ago

beautiful Debbi, thanks for the update!!!