Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabytx12_gw

granite install...is this normal?

gabytx12
9 years ago

Ok, so we are getting our granite installed...I walked in to find them mopping up water from all over the floor and my cabinets? Ok water might ne to clean but to have it all over and need several rags???!! Is it normal.
also have Whitehaven sink. They put the granite down and then proceded push the the sink into place!! I thought the granite was placed on top of the sink. Turns out they cut the hole opening wrong, the sides of granite lay over the sides of the sink. I told them it was wrong. When they taking out sink again they scratched the sides all up!! :( omg! I really want yhis to be done.
Ian the granite supposed to lay on top of the sink so this does not happen..so stressful!!

Comments (8)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

It would help if you posted a picture.

If the hole opening is cut wrong, that needs to be corrected. If they scratched up your sink installing it, they need to replace/repair that as well. Don't just sit back and watch them destroy your property. Ask them to stop and explain to you what it is they are doing. If you are still in doubt, call their supervisor before allowing them to proceed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It is not normal to have lots of rags to wipe up water, but things do happen.

How can the sides of the granite lay over the sides of the sink, yet they are able to push the sink into place? I'm not understanding something.

• User
    9 years ago

For a farm sink, the cabinet maker/installer is the one who installs it level with the top of the cabinets. Before the template occurs. Not sure what else is going on with the unclear description, but if it involves water in your kitchen, it's not good.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Sounds like they were trying to cut something on site with a wet saw. Maybe they were pouring water on a blade.

• szruns
    9 years ago

When my granite was installed, I sat and watched the whole thing (wasn't going to let anyone near my cabinets with heavy slabs of rock without me watching!) . . . and there was not any water anywhere. A few small rags with acetone to clean off excess caulk.

My cabinet installers were responsible for installing the whitehaven sink flush before templating.

I agree that they were likely using a wetsaw to cut something on site. I'd definitely plan to be in the room from now on whenever this crew is there. And, have plenty of drop cloths and plastic available. . .

Hang in there!

• gabytx12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so here is the sink, sorry I did not explain to well, What they had done is cut the granite so that it was over the edges of the sink...with the Whitehaven I really wanted some of the edge of the sink to be exposed. They fixed it, see photo.
    I was really concerned that they had no idea what they were doing...and I still am not quite sure.
    They said because we had no seam they had to install sink/granite the way they did it. ...who knows?? I don't!!
    I'm happy it over! Granite is in and I just want to move beyond the kitchen!! I love this site! I can at least vent.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! I'm glad it all worked out. It looks lovely :)

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

sounds like they made the sink cutout wrong and fixed on site which is possible if an installer is also a skilled fabricator.
    If you were home when they were cutting you would know it because sawing the stone is VERY noisy and also creates a big mess. check the sink cabinet; if they were sawing there it's very likely there is still some small residue of granite dust. Normally on a repair like this installers would take the part outside where the dust and water can be much less of an issue.