Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Filler b/w pantry and fridge?

breezygirl
13 years ago

Here's my kitchen plan with a corner pantry. The entire house remodel is hung up at this point over figuring out how to place a door on the pantry and the possible interference with the fridge doors. The house is gutted and waiting for work to start. I need help to get this resolved and begin forward progress.

I'm planning (but haven't purchased) a Kitchenaid counter-depth french door fridge KFCS22EVMS. It's 27 5/8" deep without handles, and 30 1/8" deep with handles. I believe the door swings open 90 degrees.

The pantry will most likely have a traditional door on it swinging towards the ovens. I will install a hinge blocker-thingy gadget to stop the door from swinging all the way into ovens. (I was considering two pocket doors that pulled out and swiveled to meet in the middle, but I'm not sure that can be done with the framing necessary to hold up heavy pantry shelves.) I am planning on using 2'x3's for framing instead of 2'x4's to save some space.

**The aisle between fridge and island will NOT be 48". It will be 42". I don't have that drawing uploaded.

Scale is 1 square = 12".

Here's a close up with walls drawn in with the scale of 1 square = 3".

Will the fridge door bang into the pantry door when opened? Do I need a filler b/w fridge and pantry? How big a filler? Other suggestions? I'm getting desperate here.

Comments (90)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LL--thanks for the kind words. I've got an icky cold, and Dad's radiation is now being complicated by some other issues. It doesn't rain but what it pours, right? Well, I get enough rain from Mother Nature here in Washington. I don't need more!

And I still need to draw the wider ovens in just to make sure so I'm not exhaling on this one yet. AND I hope it doesn't make the pantry so narrow that IT becomes a problem. >>>My head hurts

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a nifty door Bob! I wish I could have something like that in my house somewhere--anywhere! But I think you are right about it hitting my ovens. Darn! Thanks for another..ah...off the wall suggestion. ;)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- This is probably not what you want...at all...but I thought I'd throw it out there :)

You've said you'd like a nice baking/buffet area. What if this area were bigger and you moved the ovens to the other side of the pantry? The pantry door could then open against the buffet...and not bump into any handles.

If you took out a foot or so on either side of your cooktop, moved it down a bit, then moved the fridge down, you'd have room for the double ovens...then the corner pantry. I also moved the prep sink down, just a bit, to keep it between the fridge and cooktop.

You could still use the island as your landing space, for things coming out of the oven, but the buffet area would be wonderful for baking prep and give you lots more room for your buffet area during parties.

What do you think? Any possibilities? (I got more white out! LOL)

Take care and best of luck with your dad...and I hope you're feeling better soon. Maybe the rain will stop for a while and you'll get some sunshine :)

{{gwi:1605274}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- I saw this cool site and thought of you :)

Here's a few of the pictures, with the link to the site below. I know it's not exactly like your plan, but close...and I think the banquette, as part of the island, looks amazing!

Have a great day! :)

{{gwi:1605275}}

{{gwi:1605276}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to banquette on island

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

How married are you to the thought of stacked wall ovens? I like lavendar's idea above, except that corner might start to feel cramped with all the tall items there.

If you aren't opposed to under the counter ovens, you could install them both under your buffet / baking counter (gives you a nice big buffet counter, landing space above for things coming out of the oven.) Or you could install one there and the other between the ref and the cook top, with room for a narrow broom closet between the ref and the pantry if still needed.

It's a trade off of course: more counter space, less under counter storage.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LL--more white out! ;). Thanks for your wishes. DD's dr had to pause his treatment so they could straighten some things out first.

Someone (I think it was you) suggested the ovens side by side with the fridge before. Unfortunately, this creates another door swing issue with fridge opening into ovens. I started a thread before on now much space I would need to have b/w the two appliances to avoid collision, but didn't get much help. I'm not sure they can work like that. I think the best way to make the arrangement work is to have the fridge open AWAY from the ovens, but that won't work in my kitchen.

That kitchen is STUNNING!!!! I love almost everything about it. That banquette against the island is almost like what I'm planning! I can't believe you came up with a photo. That will help me tremendously in planning and having the bench built.

Chicagoans--I hadn't thought of UC ovens in this design. I had resigned myself to having to use them in my other layout before we decided to expand/move the kitchen to this space. I'd like to try to avoid them for ergonomic reasons if possible. I tried some out at HD and couldn't believe how low they are to the floor. I really appreciate the suggestion! Very thoughtful.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

This is probably a dumb question...

Can you switch the fridge and the ovens and then have the fridge door installed so it opens toward the baking center instead of toward the pantry?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- LOL! I couldn't remember if the ovens and fridge had been next to each other or not. I've probably asked you this before, too, but have you thought of putting any windows on that wall? Maybe one on each side of the stove? It would let in so much light and view of the garden...and you'd have plenty of storage with the pantry.

I'm glad you like the pictures! I couldn't believe how much they look like your island/banquette. It's a beautiful kitchen and it reminded me of your style...or at least, what I guess is your style.

Did you notice the other change made in that kitchen/family room remodel? She changed the family room from having the TV on the wall, to having the seating area facing the kitchen. I thought that was interesting and would look great in your space, if we could figure out where to put the TV :)

Family room before:

{{gwi:1605277}}

Family room after (with table replaced by banquette):

{{gwi:1605278}}

• maks_2000
    13 years ago

My solution is not very elegant, but I have incorporated in a place or 2 in my remodel: I have 3 places when doors bump -- stacked washer & dryer doors & [cabinet] pantry door with door to garage -- I think it is the hardware that hits. I used the clear half sphere cushions (1/2 inch?) & put one on each of the W/D doors & one on the garage door where the handle would hit. Works like a charm! Every once in a while someone looks at it & says what is that, but otherwise it isn't noticeable.

I'm envious of your walk-in pantry. Its the one thing I didn't get with my remodel!

Good luck!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beagles--I actually hadn't thought of that configuration with that kind of fridge. At someone's suggestion, I did think about switching the fridge and the ovens, but not with a regular swing door, only with a french door which would still hit the pantry. Your suggestion is a good one to consider. The big door would be a little less convenient for someone else coming into the kitchen as they'd have to step around to the right of the fridge before opening, but it's not a biggie. Thanks for that!

LL--I am actually planning a window about 36" wide to the left of the rangetop. I just forgot to draw it in. The wall to the right will have uppers. I'll also have as big a window as I can get over the sink looking out to the deck and backyard. During the winter I can get a small glimpse of the lake if it's not raining!

Those pics are really close to my (or at least one of mine!) style, except for the arched cabs, slab drawers, and the glazing. I didn't notice the TV. That seating arrangement is inviting. But you're right--I need a place to put DH's TV!! They must have moved theirs to another room.

Maks--bumpers are a good idea. Yours are a mini version of what Chicagoans posted! I'll have to Google those. My pantry isn't exactly a walk-in--more like a step-in, but I'm glad somebody else besides me likes it! Thanks.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I'll be eager to see what you decide breezygirl.

We have the opposite configuration of you- ovens and fridge flipped but there's really no way for me to avoid having my fridge open in the direction of the pantry b/c it has to be symmetrical w/ it's sister end cabinet on the other wall. I'm hoping the fridge is set back enough that it won't hit the glass pantry door when it opens. We shall see in time :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- Maybe they have it on the wall, opposite the windows...where the desk is on the other pictures? You know, that gives me an idea...what about something like this?

What if you put a comfy sectional with an ottoman or table, facing the kitchen and the fireplace? Under the big window, facing the back yard, you could have low storage for games, TV equipment, kids' toys, books, etc.

Over the fireplace, you could have a big flat screen TV, which everyone could see, from the kitchen, banquette and sectional.

The shelves would make a great place for the kids to have a few throw pillows in the corner and maybe drag out some Fisher Price, (my nieces' and nephews' favorites) or other toys and not be in the middle of the walkway :)

What do you think? Any possibilities?

{{gwi:1605280}}

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- I like your idea about switching the fridge and the ovens. The buffet can still be used for baking/buffet, but it also is now an excellent snack area. The fridge and pantry are easy for the kids to access (as they get older) without being in the main prep area. Great idea :)

• ca_mom
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy,

I've been following your threads as my layout is quite similar to yours. I'm at a complete standstill with what to do with my pantry. Currently I have planned a pocket door pantry 5 feet wide but stuck in the corner and only 24" deep (too narrow and cramped and hard to step into?), cabinet style pantry (too deep at 24"), or no pantry at all and back to regular cupboards. Driving me bonkers...and I need to finalize soon!

How are you coming along?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LL--I had the same idea of the TV over the fireplace and posted it back in December in a separate thread along with another possible furniture layout to get feedback on which seating area people liked best. One of the things I didn't like about how I drew the TV over the fireplace was that I placed the sofa back near the window wall and couldn't find space for built-in cabs/shelves storage. Another problem is the high TV placement (fire box will not be at ground level) and the bad ergonomics associated with that. I also don't know how you wire for a TV in one spot and the cable box/DVD player/etc across the room. Your idea is better, but I'm not sure that a play area 3' deep is wide enough, or that 12" is deep enough shelving. And there is still the problem with the height of the TV. Way to think outside the box though! I would never have come up with your idea. I'll post the link to my previous thread.

ca_mom--hi there. Have you posted your possible layouts to get feedback? The pantry I drew above is only 24" deep with 12" shelving. I think that works. Did you mean that your corner pantry with pocket door option is 5' wide across the diagonal? Without seeing your plan, I might go for that. A cab pantry 24" deep is not too deep depending on the type of cabs you use. You'd definetly need pull-outs of some sort, whether they are individual shelves that pulled out after opening a traditional door or a "pantry pull-out" where the door pulls out with the shelves attached. My old kitchen had a 24" deep x 24" wide pantry cab WITHOUT pullouts of any kind. Just a cab with 3 shelves. I would never recommend that. And I wouldn't recommend going without a pantry either!! I strongly suggest you post your options and see what the layout experts can do for you.

As far as how I'm coming along, the answer is I'm really not. After the baby acted clingy all week, she got sick Friday night--threw up all over herself in the middle of the night in the crib. I won't describe the mess; you can imagine. Then she was up for hours. She also has a fever, is fussy, will barely eat or drink and only wants me to hold her. DH got home from his business trip this morning so now I've got help. I'm exhausted.

Here's what I'm currently thinking for options:

1. Larger ovens. Tomorrow I will draw my idea of 30" ovens instead of the 27" in this current layout and add those 3" extra into the pantry. I think the doorway angle will turn a slight bit more away from the fridge and correct the potential door swing issue. I would still use some type of non-traditional door knob (leather handle or recessed pull) and a ball catch latch for the pantry door. I'm worried about shrunken pantry being too small.

2. Swap ovens and fridge. I'll draw Beagle's suggestion of swaping oven and fridge, and using left-swinging fridge. (Research left-swinging, counter-depth fridges.) I can definetly see the merits of this switch.

3. ahhhhhhhh...hhhmmmmmmmm...I got nothin'.

I need to finalize this soon too and get going. I've been saying it for months. This HAS to start going. We'll wear out our welcome in this temporary house if we don't start making progress. I'll let you know what I can come up with tomorrow if the baby cooperates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture placement thread

• ca_mom
    13 years ago

Thanks Breezy,

Hope your baby's better. Little ones sure can create a tremendous amount of laundry!

I did post a couple of month ago and came up with what I thought would be great, but taped it out this weekend and don't love it in real life. It's 6 or 7 steps from the cooktop to the cleanup sink and this seems far with a heavy dirty pan. I also was obsessed with symmetry on the main wall; now I think function trumps that.

THE PLAN I DON'T LIKE ANYMORE:

The corner end of the pocket door pantry was hard to reach once I mocked it up with chairs and boards so I'm off this plan. I like your corner one with a diagonal door...or maybe I'll go back to the cabinet one the arch did in the beginning. I'll draw my new up today and post.

You'll be surprised at how similar our plans are! In this plan my door outside is next to the dishwasher like yours. But your cooktop is MUCH closer. And I'm planning the family room like yours, and the dining is just beyond the counter. Mine's all new construction so I can "window" at will.

Thanks!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ca_mom. Glad to see you were able to post your plans. You're getting some great help. I think you're really close.

I was able to draw up two more plans.

Here's how the pantry area looks with the 30" ovens instead of 27".

And a closeup:

This does change the pantry configuration slightly. Does the pantry look too small now?

At Beagles's suggestion, here is what the plan looks like with the ovens and fridges switched.

I can see the pros and cons of each. Which layout does everyone prefer?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like the fridge next to the buffet. It's a little further to the prep sink, but I like the way the fridge is now on the end (not in your prep area). As the little ones get older, they will be able to grab snacks/drinks, without getting in your way. Another nice feature, you can have the oven open, when you're baking, and the kids aren't trying to get past you to get to the fridge.

Maybe one of the drawers in the buffet can be for plastic cups, bowls, etc. Someday, the kids can get cereal out of the pantry, milk and juice out of the fridge, and make their own breakfast...and let mom sleep in a little bit! It's a nice dream :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I may be partial, given that I suggested it, but I'd definitely go w/ the second option. I would not shrink the pantry. I also like the fact that you can take something out of the fridge, and turn around, put it in the microwave I also like that you have space next to your ovens to set down cookie sheets that come out so if you are in the process of baking cookies and have your baking area all covered w/ bowls and dough, you can still easily take the cookie sheet out of the oven and plop it right down next to it. You can also now get to the fridge from the bench/table w/o having to go into the main kitchen aisle area.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys hit the nail on the head with the "pros" of the fridge switch. However, there are some significant cons also. The largest one being that affordable cabinet-depth, single door fridges with internal ice and water are few and far between. Actually there is only ONE (a KA) that fits the bill, and it's fridge capacity is even smaller than the french door fridge I was planning. That's a big problem for me. My fridge is always packed and I have to use one in the garage for overflow. (I cook a lot.) Going smaller is a problem. Plus, what if the KA isn't a good product, etc???

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Why does the fridge have to be cabinet depth? Couldn't the buffet be a little deeper, since it's open to the dining room? That's what I would do :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Oops, pushed the wrong button! :)

Meant to add that (if it were me) I'd get the bigger fridge on top/freezer on the bottom and bring the buffet out a few inches, to be even with the fridge. You have plenty of space, even if you have to trim a couple of inches off the end of the island, and readjust your island set up, for the aisle space.

What do you think? Have you seen those fridges with the narrow drawer for beverages, etc. above the freezer drawer? Those are nice!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, get this. I was following your idea LL so I checked AJMadison to see what other non-cab-depth friges were out there. My search returned only FIVE--5. Only one more than the cab-depth ones. AND it's black. That's not happening!

Why is this so hard!? I'm ready to crawl into a ball and disappear. I just want this all to be over and done with.

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy - I'm with the others on the second plan (fridge next to buffet). And IF you can go with Lavender's idea about making the buffet counter/section any deeper, you wouldn't need the counter-depth fridge (giving you more room INSIDE, and more options for the one you want). I don't have a strong opinion on going with the larger ovens, but seems like if you have two you'd be in fine shape with the 27", and you could keep more room for your pantry.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

We got an amazing deal on a 36 inch single, fully integrated, single door bosch integra from a local appliance store b/c bosch discontinued it and went to the french door instead. I would call your local appliance store and see what they've got- you might find more options than online.

The Bosch we got, incidentally, is for sale right now on ebay w/ full warranty for $3,995.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170552420401#ht_1061wt_1130 (not by me, not vouching for the seller or anything, just sharing info)

Do any of the 5 you found work for you or no? I wouldn't give up on the switch to the fridge on the other side, w/ all the benefits..

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Isle2isle--Increasing the fridge to full-depth doesn't help me. There are 4 counter-depth fridges with single door swing and only one of them would I ever consider. One is KA. One is Viking (NOT) and out of my price range. The other two are Aga and Heartland, both out of my price range. There are only FIVE fridges TOTAL that are of any depth. Besides those 4 I just mentioned, there is a full-depth KA in BLACK. I am not doing black. It is baffling to me that there are only 5 total fridges with one door that have water inside the door.

Five fridges?????

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beagles--$4K is twice my budget. I'm already waaaaay overspending on cabinetry and the rangetop. I'm not sure I can come up that an extra $2K. (BTW, this kitchen is part of a larger, whole-house remodel.)

I will check around for a deal though. Maybe something will turn up. Thanks for the suggestion.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I would ask your appliance store if they have this model too: Amana B136CAR1. I gather it was discontinued as well, but it is another 36 inch counter depth and it is like 1/2 the price of the bosch. Unfortunately, they only have one on ebay right now and it is refurbished w/ no warranty.

The LG model # LBC22520ST is a single door open as well that actually has a larger capacity than the KA you were originally looking at (22.4 cu feet), and it is only $1079 list price on Home Depot. It has an ice maker.

Is it the in fridge-water supply that is creating the issue and making it impossible for you to find a fridge? In other words, would you have more options if you didn't have that requirement?

If that is the only hang-up, my suggestion to fix the problem would be to install an instant hot w/ a chilled water feature at the sink. Then you don't need that in the fridge, you have way more fridge choices and you can flop the fridge.
    http://www.insinkerator.com/canada/household/dispenser/product.php?id=CWT00

Plus, then you get the instant hot feature and you also remove the water issue from the fridge so if a problem develops w/ your water filter, it isn't a problem w/ the whole fridge appliance.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This AJ Madison? Here's an Amana 25 cubic foot fridge...and I'm sure there's lots of others, available. For a little more money, there should be some with stainless steel sides, too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: AJ Madison

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ll--we are trying to get rid of our giant Britta dispenser in the fridge so we wanted chilled water inside the new fridge. If we don't have water in the fridge, we have to find cold filtered water someplace else in the house. There are only five fridges with internal water and ice with a single-door bottom freezer on AJMadison

Despite the fact that we live in a city known for its artisan well, our tap water tastes horrible. Go figure.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Did you see my instant hot/filtered water suggestion breezy :) You could put at prep sink or main sink.
    http://www.insinkerator.com/canada/household/dispenser/product.php?id=CWT00

Since this will allow you so much more flex. in getting a (less expensive and larger fridge) the cost of installing the instant hot would still be less than buying a super $$ fridge. Plus, then you'd get the instant hot feature too which, in my opinion, is one of the single best inventions in the history of the world :)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Beagles. I did a two minute Google search on those. It looks like I would need the hot/cold dispenser faucet, a heater, and a water tank for the cold. Am I right? Oh, and maybe a filter too? I'll have to add up the $ when the fussy kids go to bed. It seems like it might be $700-800, but might be worth it to get a cheaper fridge.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Technically, you do not need both hot and cold if you do not want it.
    This product:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Waste-King-with-Faucet-and-Filter-Water-Chiller-Combo/5191910/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=16B59FA6-7DC4-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Is $339.00 (w/ 5 percent cash back from overstock plus varying other sites offer even larger cash back on overstock) and includes a faucet and filter. Waste King is an excellent brand too IMHO (our instant hot is from them).

However, if you ever drink tea, make instant oatmeal or other instant foods that require hot water, or like to use hot water to wash your dishes, I would spend the extra $$ to get the instant hot & cold from either waste king or insinkerator. It is WELL worth it to have that instant hot water available and I'd never again live in a house w/o an instant hot after having had one. If you go that route, I believe you can get "combos" from waste king and insinkerator so you don't need two separate tanks and a filter.

The other big benefit, like I said above, is then you separate the filter from the fridge. I hate the fridge water filter at my dad's house- it is impossible to fill a dog dish or large pot w/ filtered water b/c you have to hold it under the little opening. Water also runs down the fridge (instead of in the sink where water belongs!) Plus, if something goes wrong w/ your filter, the entire fridge has to be serviced.

And you can get a bigger fridge for less money and you have more choices :)

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

I'm not trying to sell GE products here, but we have the GE Cafe FD CD and it has an internal water dispenser. I like Beagles idea of the separate water dispenser, but if you want to go the frig route, we are enjoying ours. I do wish we had an overflow at times!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Not trying to stir the pot here, but are you open to other kinds of pantries? My mother built a chef's pantry 20 years ago that holds an unbelievable amount. It could be 30 inches deep allowing you to go with a deep refrigerator if that's what you want, and could be backed in the DR with shelving, shallow drawers for nice cutlery... I included a link to a beautiful kitchen with a great chef's pantry. Anyway, sorry to put this out there if you only want a walk in.

Here is a link that might be useful: chef's pantry

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Clueless. I would need to do a single door fridge if I move the fridge to the island like in my last drawing. If I move the fridge there, a French door would swing into the pantry door. I'm trying to avoid a door swing issue, hence this post.

When I drew this general layout, I couldn't see what else to do with that corner except put in a pantry. I don't think a cab pantry would work in a corner so I came up with the step-in. I'm open to other types of pantries as long as I can fit in a ton of food, my lesser used small appliances and the oversized pots. I've seen that kind of cool pantry you linked to before. They look great for food storage. I think it might behoove me to re-look at that corner with a different kind of pantry solution to see.

Thanks for a great rendering and for taking the time to respond to a fellow member in need!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Keep us updated breezy on what you decide!

Whatever you decide to do regarding layout, I'd definitely look at that water filter I linked to above (or some other version thereof- but that overstock one is a good deal!). That way, you can make a decision on the fridge based solely on fridge features and price instead of based on a constraint for a water filter :) Of course, that's just my opinion and I'm no expert :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Here's a hot/cold water dispenser in a pantry. I just saw it on another post...scroll down and it's in the pictures, towards the bottom.

It might be a great idea...not only to save money and open up your options now....but in the future, when the fridge might have to be repaired/replaced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to butler's pantry with hot/cold water

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender--that is definelty a cool system. And what a fabulous place to put it! I have pantry envy. Again. ;)

So after giving all of this much thought yesterday afternoon and overnight, I think the filtered water needs to be separated from the fridge in whatever form that may take. Maybe it's as simple as a filter system on the pipes under the sink, or maybe it's a separate faucet. Beagles makes good points about the difficulty of getting a lot of water out of the little spout in the fridge. And you all are right about that opening up many more fridge choices and making for easier/less repair. That's settled.

I'm leaning towards a full-depth, single door fridge on the peninsula. I think the pros outweigh the cons for the swap. I have a concern that a full-depth fridge will narrow the already problematic pantry door opening too much. I'll have to draw it out to see.

Darn this blasted corner pantry!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Breezy,
    I have been watching and wish I had a great idea like LL.
    I was thinking what about a sliding door into the pantry.
    Or two folding doors. French doors of sorts.
    ~boxer

• tinycastles
    13 years ago

I was also going to suggest a French door with two 16" doors that swing in, not out. Do glass and put a couple lovely full length valances-The kind that attach at the top and bottom- Hobby Lobby has great fabrics. Or solid wood. Just make sure you choose a ball and catch so both doors can be opened simultaneously, otherwise you deal with one door being considered inactive.

I had the door swing issue. I needed a single door, bottom freezer, counter depth. I also wanted internal water. We ended up going with the Viking 36". Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews but supposedly they've improved a lot of things. Plus I got a $250 rebate which put the price below $3,000. I ordered the grille kit to give it a "built-in" look.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- Not to be negative, but are your wall ovens, only 24" deep? Some are deeper, compounding the pantry problem :(

I love Boxerpup's pantry pictures! That first one makes me wish I had room for a corner pantry :)

Crazy idea! What if you slid the fireplace over, about six inches, towards the entry...leaving about four and a half feet access on each side. Would that give you the extra room you need for the pantry?

• laughablemoments
    13 years ago

Hi Breezy, boy I hope you and your Dad and kiddos are feeling better.

Here is an unconventional, but simple idea for your pantry door dilemma. Is your heart set on a solid door with glass? Because if it's not, could you find fabric that you really love, and have it made into a curtain to hang on the pantry door? That would let your fridge door swing into it- no dents! If you don't like the idea of it hanging long and loose, then maybe the fabric could be attached to a lower and upper rod in a framed door.
    I'm picturing something like a picture frame (or a full glass door, but with the glass removed). The curtain rods could be attached to the upper and lower frame on the pantry side, with the fabric shirred or hung smoothly, (depending on your style) between the two rods. Man, this is harder to explain than to picture in my mind. LOL.
    I just tried to hunt down pics and came across one of your earlier threads on this. Ahhh, cats. So long and loose is not good, no. How about the door frame idea and attach the fabric on all 4 edges? No cats' paws to push through and wreak havoc with the dry goods that way. Still make it so that it can be detached for washing somehow, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtains in lieu of doors

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Boxer! Those pantries are simply stunning, especially the first with the french doors. I wish I could do that. >>sighTinycastles--I had thought about the in-swing double pantry doors, but I don't have enough depth for them to fit inside the pantry. It's only 24" deep and the shelves are 12" deep. That leaves only 12" of wall space on the sides for a door to rest when pushed in. It's a great idea though! I'm not sure I can go there with the Viking for cost and their issues. Please report back on your satisfaction with it. I'm curious to see. Thanks.

LL--I'm considering two brands of wall ovens. One is about 23.75" deep and the other is 24.25" deep. Whew! Glad I checked on that. I'll have to go to the house and see how the fireplace feels moved over towards the door. We've got it mocked up with ladders and old interior doors now and there's definetly not too much there now, but maybe somewhere in that area something can be fudged. Thank you.

Laughable--what a great idea! If I was going with a single-door, I probably would have done solid wood. If french doors, definetly glass. The fabric attached to the back of the door idea is genius! (I don't think an actual fabric panel itself swinging loosely is a good idea in my kitchen.) My wheels are turning! Thanks!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I drafted some plans last night with a standard depth fridge. It makes the peninsula wider, which seems fine since it had to be shorter for the fridge to even be on the peninsula.

It affected the pantry in two ways:

1. It makes the back wall of the pantry too deep. I thought that extra depth could be used on the back side in the dining room to increase the storage and tiny counterspace.

Did I mention that I'm planning to extend or wrap the buffet counter around the dining room cabinetry? It'll look like a regular counter area, but shallower, i.e. base cabs, counter and then uppers. I'll probably mount the uppers a bit higher since they will be as deep as the base. I'm planning on storing my china, buffet plates, real silver, wine and bar glasses, and the booze in the cabs. We will place the wine and other beverages in this area during parties for self-serve.

2. The pantry door area narrowed too much so I slid the ovens and window "up" on the wall to create enough space for the pantry doorway. The island becomes 3" narrower, and I narrowed the cleanup aisle about 4" to make up for the extra fridge depth.

What do you think of this?

Here's visual of about how it will look courtesy of rhome. Thanks rhome! (This isn't exact, but close enough to get a sense of it.)

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Looks very nice! (hooray for rhome!)

I'm glad to see you're going with 30" ovens. I have a 27" oven now and one reason behind my wish to remodel is to replace it with a 30" oven. Granted, the new 27" ovens are roomier than what I currently have (depending on brand, 1.5" to almost 3" wider) and you're going with double ovens, not a single like I have but I've cussed my 27" oven almost from day one. I have baking pans I haven't used since we moved in because they won't fit. You have a large space so I don't think you'll regret going from 27" to 30" ovens.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Lisa. I'm absolutely sure I won't regret 30" ovens. I'm only worried about 2,000 other details! Like are my aisles too narrow?

And yes....hooray for rhome! What a gift she is.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Breezy- It looks great! Nice visual by Rhome, too :)

I like your idea for the bar storage...sounds like you've got a lot of the details figured out. It's going to be a functional and beautiful kitchen!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Brrezy- I was just thinking about my sectional...which for some reason made me think about yours! LOL

Anyway, what if you had the fireplace face the living room...but the back to the family room? It could be sheetrock, brick (visual interest) or whatever you choose...but the TV could go in front of this wall, on a cabinet.

This would give you a place to put the TV, without having to look up at it...and some storage for media equipment. What do you think? Are you set on the see through fireplace?

• aberryo
    5 years ago

Breezy girl,

I hope all is well. Did you get to complete the kitchen, with all that was going on? Do you have any after pics to share? I am trying to fit a corner pantry in my kitchen remodel. Take care