Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adel97

faucet info-wish I'd known sooner!

adel97
13 years ago

I just had a faucet learning experience I thought I would share, in case it helps someone currently researching or shopping for a faucet with a side handle.

I had my heart set on the Grohe Concetto but the side handle rotates a full 45 degrees BACK for hot water, and when fully "on" it will hit my backsplash. There is no way of moving the faucet forward without redoing the sink and countertops, which were just installed and I am happy with. Therefore, the Concetto is a no-go.

This has obviously been a problem with consumers because Grohe, and maybe other manufacturers, have now solved it by making newer faucets have a "forward rotation lever" which does not rotate all the way back for hot. Problem solved, EXCEPT Grohe did not fix the Concetto line (boo!). They did fix the Ladulux3, which is what I will change to.

So, moral of the story: if you are installing a side handle faucet with a backsplash in back, do check the full rotation of the handle before ordering, and look or ask for a model having a "forward rotation lever", and make sure you consider the depth of the tile or other backsplash when taking measurements, since faucets may be installed before tile. (Lessons learned the hard way!)

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: NOoooo!!!!

Comments (12)

• J M
    13 years ago

Could it be installed so that the lever is in the front rather than on the side? Then you'd be rotating it left/right rather than front/back.

• adel97
    Original Author
    13 years ago

demolitionlab-that was my first thought as well! We considered it but (1) it would be awkward and maybe get in the way of large pots in the sink, and (2) my GC tells me it's against code because then "hot" would be to the right (and by code, hot always goes "on or to the left").

I think the ladylux3 will be fine. Not as modern looking but close enough, and at this point, I just want my kitchen back!

• zelmar
    13 years ago

We had a similar problem with our Cucina Andrea pull down. Once I found out that the handle was a solid metal bar I decided to order them anyway (one each for our 2 sinks.) We had to nip about 1/2" off of one handle and about 1" off the other (dh had the equipment--I would imagine the plumber would also.)

{{!gwi}}

Since the overhead view is a bit odd, I thought I would show a more typical view (except the handle is hard to see.)

{{!gwi}}

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

I think you will like the Ladylux 3-I like the style of it
    actually more than the Concetto so hopefully once you get it in you will too.

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

We have a Price Pfister and we did just what has been suggested. We mounted it to the front. Hot is to the left and cold to the right and it's totally symmetrical, accessible with both hands and out of the way. Don't know if my hubby had to switch the lines or not. It's a pull out so there are little connectors in the neck of the faucet and if he switched, it's undetectable in the cabinet space. Worked out GREAT.

Rene

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Yes....that's a consideration many people don't think about...you have to have enough room behind your faucet to clean, have room behind the faucet for a backsplash or window sill, and room behind the faucet to be able to use the faucet's handle.

As to being against Code mounting the handle in front...it's a simple matter of switching the hot/cold lines. The installation directions of some of the faucets actually tell you to switch them. You'd also have to switch them if the handle were mounted on the left side.

Sorry, but this is a red flag to me...the fact that your GC told you it couldn't be done and appears to have no idea that you can switch the lines...

• zelmar
    13 years ago

Some faucets have the blue and red markings indicating cold and hot (these colors don't show on our laundry room Hansgrohe faucet until the lever is pulled out to start the water flow.) If the lines were switched for a front facing handle installation, the colors wouldn't match the temp. Something to be aware of since it could be frustrating or even dangerous if you have really hot water.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Consider Kalia faucets. The handle can be front facing or mounted to either side and the entire head swivels fully. Love the sleek design of my Neris Surfer with its push spray and quiet pullout, but they offer other styles which I think operate the same. Some vendors are much more reasonable so shop around and literally save hundreds.

• adel97
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One more thing: if buying a Grohe online from ebay or other resellers, it's worth asking if the faucet is the redesigned version that does not rotate back. I bet the old version is being sold at a mark-down.

macybaby and doggonegrdener, moving the handle to the front will work well for your faucets, since the handles are fairly small. It wouldn't work for the Concetto because the handle is pretty big and really gets in the way, and it has the red and blue markings that zelmar mentioned, which makes the swapping lines solution unworkable.

buehl, swapping the lines is simple, and of course my GC mentioned it, but the red/blue markings would be backwards and I wasn't willing to cover or blacken them out as would have been required. It's also too honkin' big a handle to be in the front unfortunately.

abundantblessing, the Kalia faucets are totally dreamy and I considered the Elito earlier, which does not have the blue/red markings but does rotate back a full 45 degrees. I've always had great luck with Grohe, so I decided to stick with that, and save a few bucks over Kalia.

sammieccanada, does your ladylux3 rotate back a full 45 degrees? iT looks beautiful in your kitchen and I'm sure I'll love it.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Anyone know if the Kohler Simplice has a tendency to hit the backsplash? My last Grohe did and it drove me nuts.

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

We had the same problem with the LadyLux in 2002. Turned it to the front and no problems when filling pots.

Here is a link that might be useful: LadyLux