Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics: Silestone LAGOON-alt. to torquay or misty cararra

Posted by kompy (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 15:25

I recently remodeled my bathroom and chose Silestone Lagoon. Even from the small sample chip, I could tell that this quartz top was the prettiest marble look-a-like I've ever seen. We have a Caesarstone Misty Cararra display in our showroom and while it's really nice and I've loved it for years....it doesn't hold a candle to LAGOON in looking more realistic.

My kitchen cabinets are on order and scheduled to go in March 2013 and I LOVE this countertop so much, I plan to us LAGOON for my kitchen tops as well.

It's softer....not as gray. Has more depth to it and looks more natural. If you're contemplating over real marble, Torquay, Misty Carrara, lighter natural stones....make sure you look at Lagoon before you decide.

I'm not done with the bathroom yet and Photobucket revamped it's site, so not sure how to post multiple photos.

But here is one close up.....Kompy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics: Silestone LAGOON-alt. to torquay or misty cararra

oooooh! pretty pretty!

o
lagoon

Not sure anymore how to post multiple pics. Here's another one.

o

Thank you Kompy! Thanks to you and a few others, I settled on Lagoon for our kitchen as well. Ordered yesterday-it looked the best to me out of all the other marble look-a-likes too. It is definitely more subdued, so not for those that like the look of heavy veining. I scoured the internet to find good pics of the Lagoon (hard to find), so really appreciate your pics! Thanks again for your help!

o

That's beautiful. : ) You must be so excited to put some in your kitchen. Wow.

If you opt to go back to the old photobucket, you can post multiple photos again. (I've been switching between both the old and the new, b/c each has its good and bad features.)

o

Beautiful!

o

I'm currently looking at various quartz options that look like marble. I've received so much help/advice on GW that I wanted to share a picture of my samples. Hope this helps someone!

o

Do you have a sample of Caesarstone's London Grey? It has no "speckling" like the Torquay and Lagoon. It's new on the market and is really nice.

o

Yes, Caesarstone London Gray is the second one on the bottom row. It is very pretty but almost "too gray." Another thing to consider is that Silestone makes a jumbo slab (!23''x63'') while Caesarstone and Cambria do not. My island is big and if I went with Silestone I would not have any seams.

o

kompy, I don't know if you are still following this or not - but I have a question about the Lagoon. Does it have the little dots/speckles in it that lots of the marble-look-alikes do? Like Caesarstone's Misty Cararra?

o

bray, Yeah...kinda but different. Lagoon has such a softer more marbley look to it than Caesarstone. I don't understand why some people have issue with these tiny speckles....they're so small on Lagoon, you almost can't see them. I don't like the harshness of the quartz marbles that are solid white with just swirls of gray (ie Zodiaq Coarse Carrara). They look boring and somewhat dirty, like someone spilled an ash tray.

I'm posting another closeup of Lagoon that I have.
What you CAN'T see in the photos is the DEPTH of Lagoon. It has a lot more depth to it than Misty Carrera or Torquay.

Torquay, to me, is a lot like Zodiaq (white background w/ grey swirls) but it has speckles...larger speckles and a LOT more noticable than Lagoon. Lagoon seems so cohesive to me. It has a lot LESS of the grey swirls. BTW, Torquay would have been my 2nd choice. I like it, just like like Lagoon better for the reasons stated.

I guess it'll come down to what you like.

Kompy

Ps. Do you live near Dayton OH? Come over and see it!

o

Kompy , I live in Montana - that would be a long trip :). Your close-up looks beautiful! I guess I just need to order an actual sample.

o

I love Montana.....been there twice to attend family reunions in Saskatechewan. Beautiful!!!!

And....My new neighbors are from Montana....just educated me about Griz/Cat parties!

o

Anyone have thoughts on compac cararra quartz? Lahoon is interesting how grey does it look? I have travertine beigey floors and white high gloss ikea kitchen cabinets. Im looking for a marble look a like quartz just not sure which is the best

o

Still lovin' my Lagoon!!! I have it in my new bathroom and new kitchen BOTH.
KOMPY

Bath link is below, here is kitchen URL for HOUZZ:
http://www.houzz.com/projects/289534/1930-s-Formal-Vintage-English-Kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: my bath on Houzz

o

Very pretty and I really like the edge detail!

o

Kompy,
The Lagoon looks GREAT! Do you mind telling me about your backsplash?

o

Kompy, I really like your backsplash. I am redoing kitchen with caesarstone Piatra Grey which is kind of opposite your choice; with a darker gray background and thin white marbling through it. Putting up white cabinets and curious what your backsplash is.

o

My backsplash is from The Tile Shop and is called "Meram Blanc". They offer several sizes (ie. a teeny subway) but I got the standard 3x6 subway. It was around $15SF. I went with a grout from another company. My tile installer doesn't care for THS's grout brand.

So much of the marble I looked at had lots of pink or yellow undertones....when I saw this, I knew it would go perfect with my Silestone Lagoon! It is white and grey with cool undertones. Beware though, there are some pieces that come with a muddy brown spotch. I got lucky and got almost none of that. My tile installer happened to put up 3 tiles with this in it and I didn't like it. He'll replace the tiles if I want him to, but honestly after 5 months now, I don't really notice it anymore.

KOMPY

o

Thanks Kompy. I am familiar with The Tile Store with mixed satisfaction but have my Cesarstone sample and will take a look. Similarly, I have a green marble tile on my bathroom floor and the variation in the box was very hard to match. But honestly, once installed it really looked good. Looking at tile can definitely make you crazy after awhile, especially backsplash. But anxious to look at the Meram Blanc in person.

o

Thanks Kompy. I am familiar with The Tile Store with mixed satisfaction but have my Cesarstone sample and will take a look. Similarly, I have a green marble tile on my bathroom floor and the variation in the box was very hard to match. But honestly, once installed it really looked good. Looking at tile can definitely make you crazy after awhile, especially backsplash. But anxious to look at the Meram Blanc in person.

o

Sorry for the double post. Inadvertently sent twice.

o

I really appreciated the pictures on GW when I was choosing my countertops so I thought I'd share my island with Silestone Lagoon. So far we love it. I will post more once backsplash and appliances are in.

o

Marissa, I know what you mean about having mixed satisfaction with the Tile Shop. Trust me, I would have much rather got my tile from Florida Tile or another local distributor, but I fell in love with Meram Blanc and could not find anything like it....anywhere. 18 months later, I am still thrilled with it!

Lacasa, thanks for the pic! Don't you LOVE IT??? Your island top looks awesome! It's so easy to keep clean....and is so pretty! People that see my kitchen for the first time.....it's the first thing they notice. They say, "I love your marble tops!!!"

KOMPY

Ps. re: The Tile Shop mixed satisfaction. While my tile went in fantastic....I've had other jobs (I'm a KD) where the tile came in broken and looked USED.....had mastic on the back of it. Keep in mind TTS tile is usually overstocks and clearance tile from other places (this is what I've heard)....and when the tile is gone, you can't get it anymore. When it's gone, it's gone. so make sure to get plenty.

o

This was my finished bathroom BTW. The aqua paint in reality is much more subdued than the photo I previously posted (above). LOVE aqua!

o

Kompy: I adore it! I am really thankful to you for posting pictures of your gorgeous kitchen as I relied on them a lot when making my decision. The backsplash should be done tomorrow (white glass tiles), and I can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here