Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

How big is yours and is it big enough?

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

I know this should be in the bathroom forum, but it's so slow over there and I need some help.

We need to pull the trigger on buying a bathroom vanity urgently.
We cannot decide whether to go with a 60" or a 72".

We got feedback from Palimpsest to go with a 60" based on our layout, but we've just 'found' an extra 12" so we could probably do a 72".
I still think a 60" would make the bathroom feel more spacious, but is it enough space for a double sink? Would we be on top of each other using the sink?

We went to Fergusons last week and to Lowes this morning. Neither of them had a SINGLE double vanity on the floor. Absolutely nothing to stand in front of and compare size wise. I'd really like to know how they feel and look, but apparently there is nowhere to go and look at them.

So what do you have and is it big enough?

We have two other double vanities in the house but they are both gigantic and built in so no help in visualizing for a pre bought 'stand alone' type vanity.

Comments (56)

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Badgergal - thanks!! I love yours because it has the same drawer configuration I like.
    I prefer multiple smaller drawers and MUCH prefer having my drawers seperate from DH's drawers. At the minute we're sharing the middle drawers of the mammoth guest bath vanity and I hate it. I find the cabinet space almost useless - drawers all the way for me!
    I am very pleased to hear that you feel like you have enough room for both of you to brush teeth at the same time and your vanity certainly doesn't look small in the space to me!

Palimpsest - I think putting in a single sink vanity here would be a major resale mistake. We did it in our Hoboken master bedroom and it was fine, but I think it would be weird to have 2 guest baths with double sinks and the master with only 1.
    The master bath is already going to have the smallest of the 3 vanities (even if we go with a 72"). We could get away with it if we did a large trough sink, but then you lose the counter top anyway.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DH likes this one.

I like it too, but feel like the storage is less... but maybe not as the drawers are larger.

I am finding this such a tough decision!!

Any thoughts? Which do you like best?

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was the one we had in Hoboken and I LOVED it. Sadly when you go to the double sinks in this vanity you lose all the drawers which were the reason we loved it in the first place.
    I so wish I could find a double vanity which looked exactly like this only with 2 sinks.
    The top one is the closest I can find so far.

• cathy725
    11 years ago

badgergal--what size are your sinks. I love your vanity!

I will have a 60 inch vanity and want double sinks. We have 1 sink now, and I really want two!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Boy that's a tough one. I would definitely want the storage, but a double sink adds a TON of value and I couldn't ever go back to a single. I think a lot of resale buyers probably think the same way, if that matters to you.

We don't use the vanity at the same time so I'd have no problem with the spacing. And not having to look at his toothpaste spit first thing in the morning is PRICELESS (he never cleans the sink, geeez :))

So that's a long winded way of saying I would take the 60" double sink vanity over a single sink hands down. The one from Costco actually looks great to me ... seems to have close to the same amount of storage (4 drawers each side) as your hoboken vanity. Maybe slightly less since the drawers are narrower, but it seems to be plenty of storage for toothbrushes, shaving gear, and everyday makeup that you don't need to worry about counter space. And less counter space to clutter up might even be an advantage in some ways.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Badgergal, may I very rudely ask roughly how much your vanity cost?

The two I have pictured are pretty inexpensive which would be quite nice, but the ability to specify each detail would be really nice.

Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If it makes you feel any better hobokenkitchen, Lowes has several vanities configured like that and those little drawers are TINY. I was very disappointed because you'll never get a mirror or hair dryer into them, barely a hair brush. Now it's possible your example has better designed drawers where the drawer is more nearly the size of the face, but unless you've moved up to Ronbow or equivalent pricing, it's unlikely.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

We added a master bath during our reno, but the room still isn't finished. I have 66" of vanity space. I stood at 60" vanities at the big box stores and could not imagine using a vanity with that little counter space. Two sinks REALLY uses up real estate. When I dry my hair, i frequently set the dryer down while running to grab another section of hair. When I've used small vanities in the past like our old master vanity, it's so cramped to set the dryer down and have it vibrate itself around. I frequently had to fetch it out of the sink as it would slide in. Also, I like to set out my small makeup bin on the counter and pull things out to put on the counter. Those 60" vanities leave very little counterspace for that activity.

I went into the whole house reno with double sinks high on my list for the new bathroom. I hate finding DH's whiskers all over the sink and surround. Given the little space we had to bump out, I had to choose between a separate large tub and separate shower enclosure or a vanity large enough for two sinks. Being able to have a long, deep soak in my own tub was a luxury I couldn't give up for two sinks.

I'd much rather have some breathing space or elbow room around one sink than to cram two sinks in just for the purpose of having two sinks. I've never had two sinks in a master though so take that FWIW. And DH and I rarely get ready in the morning at the same time since I'm a SAHM and he goes to work early.

I considered re-sale also knowing that double sinks are what buyers are supposed to want. In my neighborhood, just having an updated, private MB is an advantage. Double sinks aren't required. But your situation is different than mine. You seem to reno and flip houses; this is my forever house.

For me, one sink in a 60" is the better choice.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I meant to mention the actual vanity itself. Didn't you have a custom cab maker for your kitchen? Did you have him/her/shop quote the vanity for you? My custom cab maker will make our vanity also. I can have the drawers sized any way I please and the quality will be so much higher than any pre-fab, off the shelf vanity I have ever seen IRL. Just a thought.

• sas95
    11 years ago

Here's our 60" with double sinks. I was worried that it would be too small for double sinks, but it really isn't. We had room for a 72" one, but I wanted something that looked more like furniture and less cramped in the space. The trick, as others have said, is using smaller sinks.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

What price range are you looking in? Pottery Barn does have a "build your own vanity" option (linked below). If you have a Restoration Hardware near you they usually have a fair amount of vanities on display. Not recommending for the purchase, but more for the testing of sizes in real life.
    You could also contact a cabinet maker or even go to a big box store and have a vanity made from one of their cabinet lines like Kraftmaid, Thomasville, etc. Might be worth it if you know exactly what you want.
    Hope that helps!
    Christine

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Build Your Own Vanity

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We cannot put in a single sink in this neighborhood. It would be a HUGE resale mistake. Huge.

These are all big homes on large lots. Our house is huge (too big really). Bizarrely the master bathroom is not huge and there's really no way to reconfigure that would make it huge so we have to go with what we have. We have 'found' about a foot at a cost of $500 which means that we could fit a 72" double vanity relatively easily (I think), but a 60" sink would leave plenty of room on either side which I thought might make the room feel more spacious, and I like the Costco vanity I found.

However, while I am not a daily hair dryer user (thanks to curly hair), I do like to spread out makeup and I have more than my fair share of hair products. I don't like a cluttered countertop so maybe not having room to clutter would be a good thing. But I also don't want to be pushed for space.

I can't believe none of the showrooms seem to have a 60" and 72" floor model - those are standard sizes and surely we can't be the only people who would like to see them in person before deciding.

Breezygirl - I did ask him for a quote and it was $2500 just for the cabinet which is really more than we want to spend.
    I found a nice 68" option on eBay, but it comes with the top attached and I don't like the top. Arghhhhhh!!!

Sas95 - yours looks very spacious too! Not cramped at all. I HAVE to find a store which has them and try and get a feel for the size in person.

Chris - we don't have a Restoration Hardware anywhere close unfortunately. That's where our Hoboken vanity I posted above came from and we loved it.

Going custom would really solve all the issues as I would probably do a 66 - 68" vanity with tons of drawers and be done with it, but $2500 plus sinks/ counter and faucets is starting to get tight budget wise.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We cannot put in a single sink in this neighborhood. It would be a HUGE resale mistake. Huge.

These are all big homes on large lots. Our house is huge (too big really). Bizarrely the master bathroom is not huge and there's really no way to reconfigure that would make it huge so we have to go with what we have. We have 'found' about a foot at a cost of $500 which means that we could fit a 72" double vanity relatively easily (I think), but a 60" sink would leave plenty of room on either side which I thought might make the room feel more spacious, and I like the Costco vanity I found.

However, while I am not a daily hair dryer user (thanks to curly hair), I do like to spread out makeup and I have more than my fair share of hair products. I don't like a cluttered countertop so maybe not having room to clutter would be a good thing. But I also don't want to be pushed for space.

I can't believe none of the showrooms seem to have a 60" and 72" floor model - those are standard sizes and surely we can't be the only people who would like to see them in person before deciding.

Breezygirl - I did ask him for a quote and it was $2500 just for the cabinet which is really more than we want to spend.
    I found a nice 68" option on eBay, but it comes with the top attached and I don't like the top. Arghhhhhh!!!

Sas95 - yours looks very spacious too! Not cramped at all. I HAVE to find a store which has them and try and get a feel for the size in person.

Chris - we don't have a Restoration Hardware anywhere close unfortunately. That's where our Hoboken vanity I posted above came from and we loved it.

Going custom would really solve all the issues as I would probably do a 66 - 68" vanity with tons of drawers and be done with it, but $2500 plus sinks/ counter and faucets is starting to get tight budget wise.

• adel97
    11 years ago

hk: I like the Costco one, it's a bit more contemporary.
    I have a 72 inch vanity from Omega in my guest bath and a 72 inch vanity from Bertch (sp?) in my master. For me, I think 2 people using a 60 inch at the same time would be a bit cramped.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

What about doing two separate 30-something inch vanities? Might give you more options and then you each have your own? We have the one below in a bathroom in our current house and it's worked out well, especially for the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Seal Harbor

• chris11895
    11 years ago

What about doing two separate 30-something inch vanities? Might give you more options and then you each have your own? We have the one below in a bathroom in our current house and it's worked out well, especially for the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Seal Harbor

• sas95
    11 years ago

One of the other tricks to maximizing the counter space is to do doors on the sides and drawers in the middle. That way you can spread the sinks further apart. I know that in general drawers are more useful, but it the sacrifice was worth it to us for more counter space. And we have a decent sized closet in the room where we can store things we don't use every day.

There are tradeoffs to everything, but I'm so glad we went with 2 sinks. It's not cramped at all when we're both at the vanity at the same time. Which is pretty much every morning.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Hoboken, the 60 inch vanity with extra height of 34-1/2 inches and upgrade to premium construction was almost $1,000. Just a thought as you look at vanities- Some of the sink bases with all drawers might have either fake drawers or partial drawers to allow for the sink and plumbing. We do like having the vanity the taller height. I don't like any products left out on my vanity so it's pretty much only the towel holder and electric toothbrush on it at any given time. Maybe that's why I think the size is just fine with 2 sinks.

Cathy725, the sinks in my new vanity are 15x12. I wouldn't want them any bigger. The sinks that were in the previous vanity were these lovely 22x18 raspberry colored beauties:

• cathy725
    11 years ago

Thanks for the sink sizes-it will help visualizing them in a 60" or 72" vanity. My those were raspberry, weren't they! (I just realized you gave sink size--guess I was busy oogling the shot with the beautiful granite tops and forgot what I had just read in your previous post!)

This post was edited by cathy725 on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 11:55

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So having driven around 4 more stores this afternoon I FINALLY found a 60" double vanity in person and I think it's just fine.

They also stocked Bertch, but the quote was almost $1700 for a model which is slightly less upgraded than yours. So frustrating! Are you sure yours was under $1000? Who did you buy it through?

The good news is they have just launched a 66" version which would be ideal.

In other news, the walls are now down and studs up in their new position. Looking at it I definitely think we can go larger on the vanity than 60". I think 66" to 70" would be the perfect size fo the space and would leave a good 12 - 18" between the end of the vanity and the tub.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Hoboken, when I responded with the price, I failed recall and to mention that our bathroom was done 3 years ago. Prices have most likely gone up. We did get the vanity on sale at a local, small, independent remodeling company. I had checked with several other places that carried the Bertch line and that store had the best pricing. There was a lot of variance in the pricing. The place we bought from did not do any of the actual work on our bathroom. We did have to wait quite a few weeks to get vanity. The store didn't tell us at the time of purchase that they wouldn't get it until they had enough orders make up a truck load.
    It sounds like the 66 inch might be perfect for your situation. Never hurts to try and bargain with the supplier for a better price. Good luck.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update - that makes sense. I'm going to try and call around and get some more pricing. I do think the 66" might be a great compromise although with the extra foot we just gained I don't know if it's strictly necessary.

I actually found the EXACT vanity we were looking for - it's a larger knock off of the Restoration Hardware vanity we had before. Only problem is it comes with a Carrara marble top which won't work with our floors and walls.
    Has anyone ever tried to get a vanity top off a vanity? Is it possible or would it ruin it?

Thanks!!

• socalss
    11 years ago

hobokenkitchen, if you don't mind sharing, how much were you quoted for that carrera marble vanity? Does that include the undermount sinks?

We bought our stock 66" vanity for about 800. The carrera top was another $700 (including installation of undermount sinks), plus about 120 for sinks and we probably spent another 250 for faucets/valves. So our total cost was about $1870. We would rather not pay that much for our other bathroom which needs a new vanity!

Oh and to answer your question, the 66" vanity is perfect for us. I definitely think picking the smaller sinks help with the counter space and it doesn't feel cramped at all.

• hags00
    11 years ago

I've ordered a lot of vanity sets and I have never received one with the top installed. They are generally packaged separate. My experience is you can just use a different top if you want it.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm looking it up online now and including the top (which we don't really want) prices seem to vary between $1400 - $2000.

Where did you get your stock 66" vanity? Do you have a pic?

• sas95
    11 years ago

Hoboken, did your Bertch quote include the top? We have a 72" Bertch in our hall bath, and it was only $800 without the top. $1700 seems high.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hagss - this would be nice. I keep asking about it but getting the response back that they come together. Maybe they mean as a package rather than actually attached.

The Restoration Hardware vanity we bought came with the top attached... of course the holes for the faucet were too small and had to be redrilled, but it was attached!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sas95 - nope the top was not included. I think it was really high too. I need to shop it but I'm running out of time and need to order soon!

• sas95
    11 years ago

We bought ours at a local lumber store. Significantly cheaper than the quote we got at a kitchen and bath place.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Hobokitchen -- thanks for this thread! I always wish I could bring my bathroom questions over here...

Would you mind divulging the source of the vanity you've found online? I really like the looks of it so i'm wondering about the seller and price. Thanks!!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course! There are a lot of different sellers - of course all the less expensive ones are out of stock.

If you google Pegasus Bimini vanity it will come up. They have all sizes from single 36" and 48" to double 60" and 72".

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Hobokenkitchen, Kevin, who has been posting a lot lately (the canopy bed and Dump rugs) ordered a nice vanity from Overstock and removed the top and replaced with a different top You might give a shout out to him about the removal process. I think I asked about the manufacturer because I am in the planning stages of a remodel but I don't remember what it was....will have to do a search.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

No input other than all your vanity choices are beautiful! And my inlaws had those same sinks as badger only in peach. :)

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

We have 60" with two small sinks set within a few inches of the edge with most of the counter space between the two sinks. The sinks we used were 18" wide undermount oval.b

This is for the kids' bath. It needs to be kept neat. There is enough room for each kid to keep their toothbrushes, cup, soap dispensers (we have two types, two picky kids), and they can theoretically work together. A picture would not likely help, it is a small bath and tough to photo.

For our bath we have larger sinks and 96" which is really nice and generous, but less would have been enough.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Can I ask if anyone has made the countertop larger than the vanity? Kind of like an overhang like how we see in the kitchen? We are stuck with a 60in vanity as well as we thought we did not have the space but we ended up having to a claw foot tub anyways and now have more room.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I have 79" and could have gone 92. Yup. Huge.

I gave up on a vanity and the millions of $$ it would cost. I bought, built and scavenged base cabinets and constructed mine. The marble top across it brings it all together. I wanted usable space between the sinks because 3" didn't cut it.

I have an 18" drawer stack (with kitchen sink tilt outs for tooth brushes & paste), attached to a full height 21" cabinet.
    Then I stuck in a 9" kitchen spice pull-out thing in the middle because I don't have medicine cabinets.
    Then, I repeat the 21" full height cabinet attached to an 18" drawer stack with another tip-out.
    My left sink is a Kohler round sink.
    My right sink is a square, 'Kathryn' Kohler sink that also accommodates my motion sensor faucet for my cats.

My counter top goes all the way to the wall, with a stupid 13" of open space there. I'm going to retrofit it and put in either a pull-out towel rack or a trash pull-out. I really should have gone with bigger drawers or something to absorb that space. But my plans were different when I ordered and cobbled together these cabinets.

I also put an outlet under the sink. I have a power strip that lets me put my blow dryer and curling iron in a drawer and not have cords all over the place.

Oh - BTW.
    Open storage, being it baskets or whatever can be a nightmare. Babies love to get into things and when you start talking dust, hair and cat fur? Disgusting.
    Just something to keep in mind.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was about to post that it's between the Restoration Hardware knock off with the cane and this one which my DH prefers, but your point about open storage is well taken. No cats, but very soon to be crawling child. Hmmm.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhh - FINALLY decided to go with the RH knock off (the Pegasus Bimini) and EVERYONE is out of stock.

Estimates vary from 4-5 weeks to March.

Buggeration!

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Christine - that sounds great. I was thinking of doing this, finding matching nightstands and spanning them with a marble top. I want just one sink -- you've got to *clean* two?! And dh is such a slob, leaving it just makes the misery all the more harder. If I'm forced to interact with the mess daily clean-up will be more continuous and less of a chore. :)

I love the motion-sensor sink for your cats.

And I agree about open storage. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to have it is to see a pretty floor -- say, pretty slate (which I have!), and also of course if you don't mind seeing clutter. I don't; I just never see it at all in fact. But baskets ... they crack and break and are expensive, actually, and need replacing and don't slide well and snag fabrics. They look cool in magazines of setups constructed expressly and specifically for one photo shoot. Not something you'd like in. Though also they could be useful if you have, say, pretty bowls that want storing much of the time. Else - pia. IMHO.

Anyway Christine -- would you please post a picture of that magnificence? Sounds terrific! TIA.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

There are benefits to living alone.
    If you only have 1 sink, you're always facing a mess. Get two and put his on the side that he'd normally gravitate towards, which would be the first he'd come to. Then, yours is at least clean in the morning. Cleaning can come later, but you're not greeted with it. That's what I did when I had STBX around. He was (kindly put) a pig.

OTOH, if I were complaining (hopefully to myself) about my STBX' incredible slob-ness, at least now I'm embarrassed -- to myself -- about my unfinished projects slob-ness. Living alone is turning out to be ok! :)

I'll post a pic when I get the last door attached. I just got the 9" pull-out door. Since they're cobbled together from different sources, that was my concession to uniformity and rejection of visual clutter: to have matching doors.

I'm also retrofitting an 18" full-height into 2 drawers for my window cabinets. (Did I mention a few years ago I ordered 9 cabinets from Norcorft and got 27 because of all their mistakes? YEAH, me!)

Yes, I'll post when I'm closer to being done!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

My vanity is 102" end to end, including the towers and 68" between the towers. I love it. Just wish I'd gotten bigger sinks or smaller faucets (an issue I posted about previously).

• aliris19
    11 years ago

no no no no no no no, Christine. We want the *ugly* pictures! How else will be inspired to achieve what you achieve if we don't see the process. Pretty please? I love the in-progress snaps.

Phyhl - matching sinks and faucets is a mega-pain. Ask me how I know. ;) I sympathize...

Hobo -- Everyone's out because, basically, everyone's the same vendor. OK, they're a different website but all the product comes off the same boat out of the same container. You could get lucky finding a floor model I suppose, but the rest is just various and sundry operators slapping the same picture up -- so frustrating! It's why I was planning on going back to my cabinet makers, only that's fraught too. I wish we were all just Christine. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

In our last house, we remodelled our MBA for staging. We put in a Restoration Hardware double vanity because it was much less then the custom ones, and we thought it would have broadest appeal (certainly RH is better at knowing what people will like then we are).

Anyway, we ended up using it for a few months before we moved, but I have to say I thought the look was great but the quality was poor. I can't imagine the drawers holding up more than a few years, tops. They felt so flimsy to use, too. In our new home we have his and her BA, and mine is a custom built in while DH's is an antique pedestal, so we didn't go through the hunt for ourselves.

But I would really think twice about quality. Like kitchen cabinets, MBA vanities are something you use a lot and they should really be good quality. In particular I think there is no such thing as a good , cheap drawer.

Since you have to wait anyway, I'd look around and see what you can get custom. Or maybe even repurpose something. Good luck!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

What's an MBA and a BA?
    Sorry. Can't figure those acronyms out.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

Bingo, mtnredux. I keep thinking "why can't I just grab some of that cheap stuff" ... and then I look at it and am reminded: because it's cheap, that's why. Cheap as in really lousy quality. Looks OK-ish, lasts not at all.

I think MBA is Master Bath? And BA is Bath? :) Sorry mtn ;)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

aliris - ok how do you know?

MBA = master bath.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

phyl - about the quality? about the acronym? Sorry -- how do I know what? :)

About the quality -- well, I know it the same way everyone else knows it -- you see it in someone's house and you think "hey, that looks pretty fine" and then you look closer. You see it in a store and you think - hey, that looks great, only ... then you look closer. You see what these things look like in houses with time. I see them online and living in a massive urban importing-area (LA), I even at one point noticed an online place that had a "warehouse/showroom" close-ish to me (40 min drive) so I went to look at the stuff. And it looks neat there in person, too. But the quality isn't great. There's massive amounts of wasted space between drawers, and pressboard, and staples -- all the stuff we all know about regarding kitchen cabinets. It's all the same-old. And sometimes we're OK with lesser quality; heck we most of us will die before even these lower-quality cabinets deteriorate anyway. But truthfully, my maquilladora-hand/custom-made kitchen cabinets make me smile every day .....

oh wait, I'm suddenly remembering what you meant in the "how do you know" department!! Didn't I say ask me about the faucet-sink mismatch!? lol. Well --- OK, so you're not wanting diatribe #47 about why I'm completely non-plussed about bathroom cabinetry and am still living with a non-functional bathroom after 2 years .... it's the faucet story you want! :)

OK - I bought a really nice sideboard used to make into a vanity for my kids' bathroom and wanted, per their instructions, for the sink to be "pretty" -- so I got a really pretty sink bowl and then went to look for faucets to match its 'prettiness' with the help of I thought a really good small-time favorite-of-the-trades plumbing shop locally, run by a real live person-who-knows-everything. She steered me to these "perfect" faucets that were really pretty and matched the sink perfectly only ... somehow she managed to forget to think about the throw, or whatever the correct word is, of that faucet. It's way too close to the back edge of the sink. It's been a constant headache ever since. Constant. I'm so annoyed! This is supposed to have been her specialty and honestly, it's not rocket science. What else is there to think about if you're selling faucets to go with a sink? *I* didn't know about it because I'd never done this before! But I won't make that same mistake again and you shouldn't either. Make sure the faucet's spout comes out far enough to be close-ish to the sink's drain hole. :)

OK, so that's what you wanted to know, right? sigh.... There is not one single solitary day for two years now I have not rued the choice of those faucets! Beware!!!!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

correct - the faucet/sink combo. I too was sold a faucet (ok 2) where the spout extends way over 1/2 the depth of the sink - clear past the drain. of course the holes can't be redrilled but i did have granite guy come back to enlarge the hole 1/2 " which pushed the spout back a bit. Still i have about 4" between the front edge of the sink and the spout! sales rep said if I had a decent GC he would have caught it before the holes were drilled. I am the GC so it was a direct slam. so i bought 2 more spouts for over $500 total. that hurt, in more ways than one. waiting for the spouts to be installed, for which the plumber will charge me i'm sure. i think someone is at fault here and i honestly don't think it's me.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Hobokenkitchen, you seem to have solved your issue regarding your vanity size and two sinks, you just need to locate your cabinetry. Thanks for returning us to the old Kitchens and Baths format, it has been a while since the Bath part broke away to become its own forum. Your dillema made me think, however. As I sit in my bathroom, I look at the broken grout and loose floor tile and often contemplate an eventual remodel. Since I may someday be confined to a wheelchair, I think about widening the door, which will mean making our vanity shorter than its current 60-ish inches. It has two sinks now, and DH loves this. It is our only full bath.

My solution to not having two sinks anymore would be to have one of the very long rectangular sinks, but have two separate faucets, one on each end. This allows us each our own space next to the sink, our own control of needed water independent of the other, and (as Aliris19 points out, if you have two sinks you have to clean two sinks), with my idea you only clean one! If this is a non-wheelchair use bathroom for adults, a vessel sink is an option too. That gives more space for precious drawers, as well. I am interested in what others think of this solution. Would it look too funny?

Here is a link that might be useful: Toobi single-hole bathroom faucet

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DH has decided that he prefers the open cabinet look. Maybe he can be in charge of dusting it! ; )

Quality is definitely an issue, but at $2500 going custom is out. We'll see how this works out. Hopefully the one we end up with will be ok. Fingers crossed!!