Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

PoorOwner's kitchen remodel (PART 3) 2010

PoorOwner
14 years ago

Hopefully this is the last installment. I can see the finishing line from here.

I am currently working on the dining area of my kitchen extension. Finally, new year's resolution kicked in, me and my wife installed new light fixtures. I have never seen wall sconces above a window before, maybe because it is not too easy to do, as I found out there is solid wood header right above it, but we pulled it off with some very careful planning. The blinds will be replaced to match the kitchen one will tone down the light washing effect.

It is going to be a 33" high counter area for baking prep and serving food.

I added an eyeball recess because I had a cut-out for an old ceiling fan, but otherwise staying away from recessed lights. I know the ceiling texture is out of style, when we run out of things to spend money on then we will find a company to remove it. But for now.. lights and music!

Here is a link that might be useful:

link to my kitchen remodel, Part 2

Comments (15)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I'm enjoying reading about your progress. Thanks for posting the link to the other thread that showed how did things. Love that sink! One of the options we're considering is IKEA boxes and making our own drawer fronts.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Hooray, progress!!! How exciting for you. I pray it continues to go well for you. I've missed your other posts. Are you GC?

I love your sconces over the window. Great way to use them!

• lala girl
    14 years ago

Love the lights - great idea! Re: the ceiling - I removed a textured ceiling all throughout my upstairs - it was messy but very easy. It's a good idea to take a sample and have it tested to make sure there is no asbestos. Once you're in the clear, take spray bottle with warm water and large flat putty knife, spray a small area (soaking it) and then scrape with the putty knife. Comes off like butter - I had been dreading this project, and it took more time to clean up then to scrape it (makes me wish I didn't wait 4 years to do it!) - we did test a small area to make sure it would work first.. anyway, thought I would pass along a diy experience - good luck with reno, you're off to a terrific start!

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I love the result of installing lights because when you first flip that switch, it just makes a big difference in the area.

my "new" kitchen had been functional for quite a while. Here is what is left to do.

1a) build the cabinets for this area, it is going to be custom height and with a custom drawer bridged in the middle like a desk.
    1b) pick a counter top (one big expense!)

2) install toe kicks

3) install backsplash in the kitchen, and finishing touches like crown moulding.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

test (to avoid being purged)

waiting for some parts for the new "low rise" cabinets. new pictures coming this week.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

test bump

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thread is alive again.

I am waiting to choose a quartz countertop fabricator, it seems so difficult to find a good one.

Merging some recent photos from my other post

• willis13
    14 years ago

I just came across your series of posts, and wanted to say wow! Looks awesome.
    I noticed you got LED lights... can you tell me what kind? I'm struggling over lighting right now.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Willis, not in the lights pictured above, but inside the kitchen, I am using Cree LR6 on Halo remodel cans.
    Very happy with the color and all.

• Fori
    14 years ago

O yeah! I had to go back to remind myself...I missed part 2 completely, but I would have made some comment about the watermelon on the floor so maybe it's for the best.

This is looking very good!

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks fori, good to see you area still hanging out :)

I just got an estimate for counter for our baking area, it's about 16.5 sq ft.

caesarstone worked out to be $65 a sq ft
    zodiac and cambria got close to $95-$100 a sq ft :(

Not sure what the deal is, their store is on the same street as caesarstone so this brand is probably their biggest seller.
    So I think I want to move forward with the caesarstone. It is just a different look from the cambria which has finer specks.. But we have seen the same combo with my cabinets at Ikea for a while now and always loved it.

attached a link, comments are welcome, we took samples of the off white quartz home and have always found it too blue/grey so we need something more tan colored. Still looks kind of grey here in the first picture.

{{gwi:2105472}}

{{gwi:2105473}}

{{gwi:2105474}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Caesarstone oyster

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Caesarstone countertop was installed today. The fabrication quality was great. The only issue is that it looks a bit stark white in the room due to my wall color and my amber wood counters. This is one of the more off-white color already.

This is the same combination Ikea has on display, except they really threw me off with the pure white backsplashes.

Too late to second guess the colors I suppose. I seems like it would be do baking prep on. (finished height 33-3/8")

I asked for this corner detail. Because it sticks out a bit more than my other counters.

This is the most off white before going to tan color

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

It's looking really good. I've been following along with your progress. It looks like you're closing in on the finish line now. Congratulations.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!! I am actually feeling a bit delirious. It has entered the 17th month since it all started (I only work it on the weekends and I did have a usable kitchen for a year now), and I recently set myself a deadline to finish by 18 months. I am trying to put THE HOUSE back together.

Tomorrow I am going to install some backsplashes.

• km5tq
    14 years ago

Hey poorowner, looking goood! You've rounded the corner and headed for home! Love the lights over the window,counter top and also really like your hardware.

Hope my kitchen turns out as well.