Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696687

Desperately Seeking Comments on My Layout!!!

16 years ago

I�m redoing my kitchen and want to maximize its functionality but also have a nice looking kitchen. I finally have a layout that I think could work. See attached drawing.(1/4"=1')

The grey hatched rectangle in the center is a structural column, which is a big impediment. The only other thing that absolutely cannot be changed is the door next to the refrigerator. The room on the left is the dining room; the room at the bottom is the foyer. In this drawing, the doors to the kitchen from the DR and the foyer were changed to open the kitchen up to the DR and to improve the flow.

Currently there is a peninsula from the structural column to the east wall, which is perpendicular to the one drawn, and a bar on the opposite side of the column. The current configuration (not the drawing) is not very functional

Also note that there is both a range and a 2nd oven to its right.

The cabinets at the foot of the peninsula would only be above the counter; the others would be tall. I haven't decided whether to have cabinets on the walls above the oven, sink, dishwasher, etc.

I am so excited that I have something workable that I think I must be missing something. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

I don't find anything right away. But, what is the area off to the right? It seems to be open to the laundry area, has a wine fridge and maybe a bench seat with table with additional chairs, but is closed off from the kitchen, and any other room...? It's got me curious. I keep wondering why someone wants to break open a bottle of wine, and sit closed off from the world, sipping away as the laundry spins. ;-) --Hope you don't mind me teasing.

• 16 years ago

...That I love all the storage. It's a unique layout, but it seems to work for that space. The only downside I see now is traffic past the stove. The only other way I see to take care of that, though, is to do away with the peninsula, make the current stove wall into a baking area or storage and have the range on the wall where you have tall storage next to the peninsula. Hope that makes sense.

• 16 years ago

I think the overall shape works very well with the constraint of the pillar. I'd make a feature of that, btw, and paint it an outrageous accent color.

Also, is there any way to open up the breakfast room/wine bar area? It seems that there's a lot of wasted space in the area where the entry door and breakfast room door are, but maybe you just don't need that space and want to keep the separations.

The repetition of the shape of the tall cupboards across the peninsula and around the corner is very pleasing. It should look great, besides providing all that storage.

What's at the top of the drawing? There's good access from the foyer to what I'm guessing is the LR, and through the breakfast room and laundry to the bathroom, but will people be walking through the kitchen to get to that door by the fridge? If it's the garage it's right handy to the fridge :) If it's a family room, will people be pouring through past the cooking areas to get to the front door? Can they be trained to go around through the DR?

Is your second oven below counter? That's what it looks like. If so, I'd want to raise it if I could because it's so nice not having to bend, but the importance of that is very personal.

I know work triangles aren't the latest idea, but I find in use they're still important, and it looks like you've made a good one.

• 16 years ago

I don't mind the teasing at all. The room to the right is a maid's room which I decided to preserve as a breakfast nook and laundry.

The banquette is a daybed and because it has pocket doors between it and the kitchen and has a bathroom, it can serve as an extra bedroom in addition to my den/2nd BR. I considered opening it up but didn't really feel as though the kitchen was so much better to make it worth the expense (dollars and loss of extra room).

The kitchen itself has no window and that was part of the reason to open it to the DR. The maid's room has 2 windows (and another in the little bathroom) and is quite cozy.

The wine refrigerator is in there less because I planned to drink wine there but because it seemed like a good place to put it. It could also go just to the right of the door to the kitchen but I think it might throw off the balance of the room.

I like the idea of putting the range on the south wall but I am concerned that I wouldn't have enough counter and storage space if I eliminated the peninsula.

I would much prefer having the 2nd oven be higher but I couldn't think of how to do it in the space and thus made it under the counter.

Outside of the door next to the refrigerator is a service stairwell. This is an apartment, not a house, which perhaps I should have indicated. So there will not be any traffic other than to take out trash or to access the service elevator.