Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamalynn_gw

Finished Soapstone Kitchen - Pic heavy

mamalynn
14 years ago

I have been reading the kitchen forum posts for months. I have no design skills and rarely had anything to offer. But I have learned a lot by reading the posts and looking at the pictures of all the wonderful kitchens! This is truly a great site because there are so many talented people who freely give of their time to offer advice, inspiration, and support. I thank all of you!

Not everything is put away yet, I still need those decorative touches, the banquette cushions are out being re-worked (they were too high), etc., but I love, love, love cooking in this kitchen! And I cook all the time - almost every lunch and supper and occasionally breakfast.

We bought our house new in 1981. In 1989 I closed in the deck to create a room for me. The kitchen window over the sink that looked out onto the deck became a leaded glass window looking into my room. At that time I had the upper cabinet doors removed and those cabinets painted and I changed the wallpaper and the vinyl floor as the old floor had not held up well. Nothing has been done to the kitchen since then except for the occasional new appliance as an old one died.

None of this was DIY - neither of us has any talent in that direction.

Since I built in the banquette, I was able to move the peninsula out by about a foot which allowed me to make the island a little longer. Originally the peninsula had what I assume was meant to be a breakfast bar, but it was much too narrow to be used. I had that cut down to make one large area and the overhang now extends out a bit more.

The only extra space I was able to add to the kitchen is at the coffee bar. The space for the frig already extended into the utility room and the space that had the oven and the pantry extended into the garage. I extended the rest of that wall into the garage by the same amount, roughly 6.5 ft x 2.5 ft. That gave me room for a slightly large pantry and for the coffee bar.

Here are the specifics -

Counters and sink - Iguazu soapstone from Dorado Soapstone of Austin, TX.

Cabinets - locally made, beaded inset doors

Floor and backsplash - Daltile Canaletto Rosso with Dakota Mahogany inserts.

Faucet and soap dispensers - Allora by Delta

Hardware - Atlas Homewares Scroll in black, some the right scroll, most are the left scroll

Dishwasher - Whirlpool that I got a year ago to replace my worn out one. Its quiet, works great, and I saw no need to change it.

Refrigerator - Samsung 26 Cu Ft.

Vent - ModernAire

Range - Electrolux 30 inch slide-in electric with two ovens (Getting gas to our house would have been prohibitively expensive.)

Lazy Susan - Hafele LeMans Champagne blind corner pullout

Mixer Stand - Rev-a-Shelf

Trash Pullout - Hafele

Lighting: Recessed - Cree LR6 LEDÂs. Over the sink - The Piedmont in antique black from Schoolhouse Electric. Over the table - Hinkley Juliette 3 Light Mini Chandelier in Olde Black. Undercounter lights - Xenon, I donÂt know what brand

Paint - All Behr colors. Some of them we did tweak a bit.

Green cabinets - We started with Mint Fizz, but there was not enough contrast, so we darkened it.

Cream cabinets, banquette, and all baseboards, trim, doors - China Cup.

Sink end of the room - Coronado Dunes

Banquette end of the room - Peach Bud

Ceiling - Muffin Mix.

The ceramic tile always looks a bit orange in the pictures when it is actually a terracotta color.

Below is a link to these and more pictures if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gutdoctor/sets/72157623107621940/

Before

After

Microwave, Pantry, Coffee Bar

Banquette

For any potential soapstoners - since the sink doesn't get any treatments and has water and soap in it frequently, it does "gray," which I don't mind at all for the sink.

And just in case someone wants to see this island again, although I do have other areas of counter that are just as beautiful, I couldn't resist showing it again -

Thanks for putting up with all these pictures!

Comments (35)

• bestyears
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a lovely job you did!!!! So many unique elements. I love the leaded glass over your sink. We have a window over our sink looking into our family room too, and I have pictured leaded glass over it, but could not completely visualize my idea. You just did -just beautiful! I also love your hardware, your window treatments, of course your soapstone and the very cool pot pullouts. I bet you are LOVING this kitchen! Beautiful cabinets too! Did the cabinet maker supply your leaded glass over the sink as well? Where is the "mint fizz" paint used?

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

Love it. The baskets are a really unique and charming touch!

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The window over the sink was done in 1989 by a local artist whose name I don't remember. The glass in the cabinet doors, done this remodel (the doors by the range hood have some leaded work to tie in with the sink window), were done by a different local artist and my builder knew about her.

The Mint Fizz (green) is on the island, the range hood, and the upper cabinets in the coffee bar.

Thanks for your kind words!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Wow! Amazing transformation... well done! I hope you will enjoy it! I looked at pics first and almost thought my eyes were deceiving me with the two cabinet colors, but I looked back and saw the paint you used. Very bold and creative -- beautiful outcome.

Questions:
    - Is there a functional advantage to beaded inset, or is it aesthetic preference?
    - What are the dimensions of your MW?
    - What are the interior and exterior dimensions of your MW cabinet?
    - Is the hood 30" or 36"?
    - What is the width of the trash/recycle pullout?

Happy New Year!

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

Looks great!
    I like how the movement in the tile and soapstone is complimented by the movement/shape of the cabinet pulls.
    THe fabric on your windows does a beautiful job of pulling together all the colors you used in your kitchen.
    COngrats and enjoy your new kitchen!

• country_smile
    14 years ago

Well done! You must be overjoyed to have such a lovely kitchen. I particularly like the hood next to the glass cabinet doors, the undercabinet molding, and those pulls...good choice. I like how the new drywall ceiling helps to brighten up the space. Congrats and enjoy!

• marytwit
    14 years ago

Lust!

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everyone - thanks for the compliments!

jsweenc - The beaded inset cabinets are aesthetics only. You can have an inset door with an exterior hinge I think, but I don't think you can't have a beaded inset with exterior hinges. Here's a pic of my pantry doors open and you can see that's all they open. Plus the hinge inside takes up a lot of room. My builder had used these just once before and didn't think about the drawers inside doors being a problem and they had to be redone. 2x4's were put up on each side of the cabinet on the inside and the drawer glides were attached to these, causing me to lose 6 to 7 inches of drawer width. Someone on this site said she thought the European hinges for inset doors that would get rid of some of these problems were now available in the US.

The range hood is 36".

I'll have to get back to you in a few days on the other questions. We're at the ranch for the weekend. A Rev-a-shelf double can trash pullout had been ordered and with the inset door, it was about 1/4 inch too long. It was easy to find a single can pullout that would fit, but since I had devoted so much space to this, I hated to do that. We kept looking and finally found this Hafele. It was more expensive, but the builder said it seemed to be much better made, (it pulls itself closed very well after being given a push, and it seems to keep odors in - I cut up a lot of onions) even though Rev-a-shelf is usually very good.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Nice, nice, nice. Looks very functional and, of course, very beautiful besides. Love the fridge/coffee wall and the banquette. The room through the fancy window looks like it could be cool to have, too.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I have a couple more questions to add, whenever you have a chance:
    - How high above the counter is the MW cabinet?
    - How high up is the shelf above the stove? Does it get in the way when you are cooking (or anyone else who might be taller?)

Sorry to ask so many questions. Obviously, I'm considering some of the same design features that you have incorporated! : )

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

What a transformation! I love your soapstone and your leaded glass. You did a great job and it looks so much better.

• abananie
    14 years ago

I remember seeing pieces of your kitchen before. Can't forget those pulls!! Nice to see the whole kitchen in the photos. You must be so happy!! Love the look. The soapstone on your island is beautiful. The leaded glass is devine. You must love all that storage!!! Enjoy!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Very attractive kitchen!

• donka
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I can't believe how much my soapstone looks like yours. I swear they look like they came from the same quarry. Around here varieties are extremely limited (2) and they just call it 'soapstone' with no variety distinction. I think I just found mine :)

Anyhow, your kitchen is gorgeous! Enjoy!

• prill
    14 years ago

Love the soapstone - what a transformation! You must be thrilled. Congratulations.

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donka,

Did you post pictures of your kitchen? I'm bad about remembering names and could have seen them, but I can't find them today and would love to see your soapstone!

Lynn

• donka
    14 years ago

Nope, not yet. Still trying to figure out what to do for a backsplash, and my camera battery charger went missing. Got a charger on order which should show up in a few days so I'll probably post pics then looking for some backsplash help. Stay tuned! :)

• judydel
    14 years ago

Lynn beautiful transformation. Your floors and backsplash are gorgeous and the kitchen looks great with them matched up. I'll have to consider that for my kitchen. And I love the way you pulled together the black hardware, soapstone, tiles and appliances! Congratulations and ENJOY!

• cj47
    14 years ago

Whoo hoo, nice Hot Top coffee roaster on the counter next to the hood!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist) I bet it's really nice to be able to roast under the hood and have the smoke all vent out properly. I'm jealous!

Oh, and by the way, your kitchen is fabulous--love the soapstone and leaded glass! It's absolutely charming.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Beautiful!
    Great choices, the soapstone, the hardware,
    lighting, paint color, floors... all amazing.

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are answers to the questions you had
    Height from floor to bottom of range hood - 63"
    Height from floor to top of shelf on range hood - 77". We are 5'6" and 5'7", so this isn't a problem for us. My husband did hit his head on the corner of the range hood once right after it was installed. We had the corners sanded smooth to minimize injury. I have hit my head on it once or twice but when I was moving the coffee roaster to and from underneath the hood, not when cooking. The shelf is way too high to be a problem for us.

The microwave is a panasonic and is a large one - 23 1/2" wide by 13 7/8" tall.
    The opening to the cabinet is 27 1/4 X 14 1/2
    The interior dimensions of the cabinet are 30 1/2 x 16 1/4.
    The exterior cabinet is 32" wide.

I've linked to the trash pullout below. It's the second one down, Cargo 21. Click on it and you get all the measurements in a pdf file. It does have a "top" that you don't really see that "seals" the tops of the trashcans when closed. I think it is short enough that you could put a drawer above it if you want, but I wanted it high to make it easy to sweep peelings, etc., straight into the can.

I hope this helps and Good Luck with your decisions!

Lynn

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

lovely. I didn't think I'd like black appliances but I do looking at your kitchen. Gives me something to think about instead of SS with black.

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc

I just realized I didn't answer one of your questions about the microwave. My counters are 37 1/2" above the floor. The microwave shelf is 55 3/4 above the floor, which is 18 1/2" above the counter. I wouldn't have minded it being lower, but the lower it is, the less usable is the space underneath.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Lynn,

Thanks for answering my questions! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

Susan

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Beautiful - the soapstone is breathtaking! What I like about your kitchen is that you're taken the white cabinet-soapstone counter "formula" and really stamped it with your own personality. The leaded glass window is lovely.

Enjoy your new space!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Lynn, I love the soapstone counters and that black sink. I loved how you transformed your kitchen into a beautiful relaxing workable kitchen with those great kitchen cabinets (loved the inside areas) and those beautiful knobs. Thanks for sharing.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Mamalynn:

All I can say is "WOW!!!!" Way Cool kitchen - totally AWESOME!!!!!

Great Job!!

kevin

• Andrew
    14 years ago

How wide is your trash pullout? I am trying to find a 24" one to match my dishwasher size.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

You did a fantastic job!
    What fun hardware. I love the baskets in the kitchen.
    I especially love your leaded glass window and how you incorporated it into the cabinetry-very nice.
    Congradulations and enjoy!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Gorgeous soapstone! And love your banquette area. Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen.

• mamalynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everyone, thanks for your kind words! Knowing the wonderful kitchens many of you have and the kind of work some of you do, it really means a lot!

atct87 - the hardware is 16" wide, although the door is wider - 18". I'm thinking you aren't going to find one 24" wide unless it is a multi one for recycling. Not that you have to use it that way if your city doesn't recycle. The link below gives widths - just scroll down the page. They get wider and wider, but I don't see any Hafele systems on this page. Some sites make you really search to find the measurements you need.

• starpooh
    14 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Checklist to give your permission. Thank you!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Thanks Lynn!

• bireland
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS soapstone. And, well-put together kitchen. Our soapstone template will be made next week and this week we had to make a quick decision on paint color for the walls. We chose a peach/salmon color (with a bit of trepidation, as KD had steered us toward a red). So I am delighted to see your peach coupled with the soapstone...the gray/green and peach work well. Am breathing easier. Thanks for sharing.

• starpooh
    14 years ago

bump!

Don't want this thread to scroll off before your kitchen is archived in the FKB. :-)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio