Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

Which appliances did YOU choose?

home4all6
13 years ago

As I plot and plan and walk and measure and compute and draw and divide and *conquer* I am constantly plagued by fear of not making the right choices.

Aren't we all???

So I wondered if you all could share your final choices in appliances for your kitchen...as little or as much detail as you'd like to share.

I'll start with my current kitchen, which we've slowly renovated but haven't redone. We are a family of 6, all kids under 6 years old. I am not a hardcore cook, but would love to cook more, and as the kids get older, I'm able to involve them more, which is GREAT!

Fridge: GE Profile FD--w/water in door/not ice (love it)

DW: Bosch integra 800 series--so quiet, no issues

range: Electrolux 30" gas icon--works great, but issues with burners lighting and staying lit

microwave: still the oldy-moldy OTR one--blech...

We bought all at different times, and at closeouts/floor model discounts, so the prices were right :)

Comments (60)

• adel97
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I went all over the map, researching and choosing each appliance for function rather than matching. All stainless though, which is matchy enough for me.

Wolf 30 inch rangetop,
    Bosch french door fridge,
    GE Monogram wall oven and 240v Advantium
    XO hood
    Miele DW

All but the DW will be new. I bought the DW in black last year when our old one broke and am now having the front panel replaced with stainless for the remodel to match the others (I guess I do care about matching after all, huh?)

• home4all6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses so far--I guess it's a little like in your kitchen windows :)
    And in response to beekeeperswife, I do look at he applicance forum--LOTS--and it's interesting to read even soem of the older threads there.
    And Rosie, I am in the Chicago area, so our CL is FULL of great deals on all sorts of high-end appliances, so I look on there all the time too--SZ fridges and Viking ranges that are a few years old and the Gold Coasters just NEED to replace--sure, I'll take that off your hands for you ;)
    I am planning my addition around my kitchen/family room living space, as my current kitchen is completely cut off from my entire house, and it doesn't work for us! And I'm starting EARLY, as it won't be happening for awhile still, but as I've learned from all of you--this is important stuff!!!
    (Please continue sharing...)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Rhine I'd probably kill an appliance dealer if I had to go back and swap ovens as many times as you did. What a nightmare!

In our townhouse I went with a mix of appliances because we chose function first but also wanted good form. Some contractor errors also changed a decision...may he rest in internal hell

Lacanche range (sully 2200. If I remember right) anyhoo two ovens and a warming cabinet below a large soup burner, four burners and a French top. We love the thing....but we love that French top the best.

Ge trash compactor, they are quiet and efficient and priced reasonably

Sub zero 36" french door fridge. They live up to their reputation. We are often gone for weeks and come home to still usable produce.

Miele dishwasher because it is half inch smaller than the kitchen aid we really wanted (love the top of the line kA's! Hate the miele). Stupid expensive and not as good as a ka at half the price. Hate the contractor who forced us into that damn thing.

I think a panasonic microwave....I don't care about mw so I just went with one that fit and didn't have bad reviews

Delonghi espresso/coffee maker. I would leave my spouse for this thing if it had other necessary working parts

Vent a hood hood insert which could suck the wind out of the neighbors sails if I was in the mood. Love it!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Miele Inspira DW w/panel
    Thermador Freedom 36" french door fridge w/panels
    Bosch 500 30" induction cooktop
    Best by Broan hood insert
    Bosch 500 double ovens (convection top oven only)
    KA fridge/freezer drawers w/panels
    Sharp MW (countertop)

The first 5 were purchased locally at a small brick and mortar; the KA was from Sears and the MW from Amazon, all this summer/fall. So far everything is working great!

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

Fridge is Frigidaire side by side chosen off the small town show room floor because my old fridge died in the first week of JULY. It would NOT have been my choice otherwise.

Samsung range. LOVE IT.

Kitchenaide dishwasher (wanted drawers but I'm just not that brave and I read a LOT about trouble with them so I waffled).

Faber Stilo hood.

Emerson (off the shelf at Wal Mart) microwave.

Avanti beverage cooler.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Rhine I'd probably kill an appliance dealer if I had to go back and swap ovens as many times as you did. What a nightmare!

I had no complaints with any of the dealers...Just the manufacturers and the quality of those ovens. The first F&P was from an Ebay seller who also has a brick and mortar store, and they were more than helpful a few times. The 2nd F&P came straight from F&P. The Wolf came from the same dealer as the Monogram after they helped me get satisfaction from GE and had the Wolf in their clearance room. :-)

I forgot to tell our microwave. We have Panasonic, too. We've had good luck with those.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

My cabinets are not quite finished yet, but the appliances are all in and I have been using them since Thanksgiving.

Samsung French Door refrigerator, full depth with the deli drawer

Electrolux Icon: 36" Induction cooktop, dishwasher, warming drawer, 36" vent fan, 30" wall oven and speed oven.

So far I love everything and have had no problems.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

My appliances are a step downward from many of those previously posted, but they fit my budget and needs and I'm happy with them.

Fridge: LG 20.7 CD French door. No water or ice in the door. I don't use much ice so I could have done without the icemaker also. Love the fridge, getting used to the bottom freezer.

Range: Kenmore gas convection. My only complaint is the black cooktop. Difficult to keep looking clean.

OTR Microwave: Kenmore Elite convection.

Dishwasher: Miele Diamante Plus G2143. Expensive, but worth every penny.

• stannley
    13 years ago

We are currently in the process of a kitchen remodel, but started with the following:

36" 6 burner Bertazzoni (love it!)
    Best Hood
    Electrolux ICON all-refrigerator (just got it this week)

We are keeping our functional Whirlpool dishwasher, and bought an inexpensive chest freezer for our butler's pantry.

On the list for the future is a microwave/convection oven and we're leaning toward the Advantium. We stuck with the 'best of' idea along with selecting stainless steel finishes. Good luck!

• dretutz
    13 years ago

I have the Gaggenaeu convection oven which is superb and opens horizontially which is great for lifting heavy things. The Bosch DW, Viking Cooktop, a sharp micro-convection oven and a KA refrigerator. I picked each one based on performance specs I prefer. Along with the deep Franke sink, I have nothing but praise. I choose function over all, but appliance needs to "fit" with the aesthetic.

• sjmitch
    13 years ago

Fridge - Electolux Wave 36" CD French Door bottom freezer
    Oven - Electolux Wave 30" single oven built in
    Cooktop - AEG stainless 5 burner gas - love the gas, but
    cleaning my old glass cooktop was so much easier
    Dishwasher - Miele (even though my last one only lasted 7 years)
    Microwave - Panasonic
    Hood - Kitchen/Aid

Have had these since August 2009 and am really happy with all of them.

• thynes1501
    13 years ago

Ovens - Miele MasterChef double ovens (beautiful ovens, they perform as well as they look)
    Cooktop - Thermador 36" Induction with mirror finish (very pleased)
    Hood - 36" Ancona chimney hood (900 cfm, stainless baffles, quiet operation, for thousands less at Costco)
    Warming Drawer - Jenn-Air paneled
    Dishwasher - Miele Optima with concealed controls (performs extremely well, however we are disappointed in its smaller capacity than competing KA models)
    Fridge - KitchenAid 72" French Door Counter Depth (very pleased)
    MW - 27" KitchenAid 240v built-in undercounter drop door convection (for a few hundred more we could have had a non-MasterChef Miele speed oven, for a few hundred less we could have had a Sharp MW drawer)
    Beverage Fridge - 24" KitchenAid undercounter

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

We're using our 3-year-old Sears 30 inch freezer-on-top refrigerator without any icemaker or water dispenser, our 20 year old Whirlpool dishwasher, a new Broan range vent 30 inch, and a new GE Profile 30 inch Dual Oven electric range (scratch'n'dent from Craig's List) with smaller oven on top. A portable induction plate augments the range.

2 cooks.

Range and refrigerator are freestanding units.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

For the most part, our appliances are mid-range. I would have loved the Miele MasterChef ovens, but that dratted budget got in the way!

Here are ours: Refrigerator...36" GE Profile CD FD bottom freezer. It has an internal icemaker and water in the door but not ice in the door...we like the setup. If we need ice, we just open the freezer and get it out of the bin. If ice were in the door, the icemaker would have taken up too much valuable refrigerated space. It's pretty good but I have noticed recently that some things freeze in the very lower back. Of course, it could be b/c I set the temperature at 34 degrees...but still, they shouldn't freeze.
    Cooktop...36" GE Profile electric cooktop...mainly b/c it was the only moderately price cooktop out there that came w/a warming element and a bridge element so I can use my griddle (the bridge was the more important of the two). [I couldn't talk my DH into induction which is what I really wanted! Now, I'm waiting until after college and insisting on a Miele or whatever is best at the time...but that's 8 to 10 years in the future, *sigh*]
    Dishwasher...KitchenAid Architect Series II. I wouldn't get it again. We have to wash everything on "Heavy Duty" to have any hope of our dishes all coming out clean.
    Microwave...30" Sharp MW drawer. So far, we love it and would definitely get it again!
    Wall Ovens...30" GE Profile Trivection Double Ovens. The top oven is a speed cook oven that uses MW energy along with convection technology when in speed cook, speed roast, or speed broil mode. It also can be used as a convection oven or "regular" oven. The bottom oven is a convection oven that can also be used as a "regular" oven. We do love them, but I think the Mieles would have been better!
    Rangehood...42" x 24" Vent-A-Hood. Much quieter and much more effective than our old "Nautilus" hood!
    Warming Drawer...30" GE Profile warming drawer. It's just a basic WD without any bells & whistles. Our KD tried to talk us out of it saying no one ever uses them...but we use it all the time...probably 6 out of 7 days a week.
    Garbage Disposal...InSinkErator Septic Assist GD. Our County requires a GD designed specifically for septic systems if you have septic (which we do). It's been great! I'm so glad we have it. The only thing I wish is that I also had one on the prep sink!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

We have a hodge-podge of appliances.

We have a Kenmore "Trio" french door fridge with ice and water on the door because I LOVE CRUSHED ICE! It was actually DH's idea, but I was secretly pleased because I LOVE CRUSHED ICE! Just in case you didn't "hear" me the first time. *wink* So far, we are lovin' the fridge. It is white with the smooth finish and metal handles, so it looks all grown-up in my new soon-to-be-finished-Lord-I-pray kitchen.

We originally planned for a standard smoothtop range with an OTR microwave, but I veered off path one day on ebay when I fell in love with this beautiful stainless steel convection wall oven by Amana. I couldn't stop myself, and after telling Hubs that I am just going to tweak the plan a "teensy bit", I went waaay off course. And there was no stopping me. Muahahahahahaha. The bone-head freight company scratched my new Amana, and it was a discontinued model, so I was reimbursed for it. We touched up the scratches with automotive compound and paint. I love my new oven--especially the convection part. I also have a Maytag range in the basement I use as a second oven.

At "Friends and Family" one night at Sears, I picked up a 36" Kenmore gas cooktop, as I decided I liked the look of this larger cooktop and after shoving a burnt and crusty drip pan under the Hubster's nose one night and barking "THIS is why we can't have a smoothtop!", I had decided we were getting a gas range. This Kenmore jobby had the nice recessed top in case I--or any other clodhopper (names withheld *coughHubbycough*) were to let pots boil over. I am very pleased with my cooktop.

Remember how I said we originally were going with a microhood? Well, I decided I really didn't care for that idea and convinced DH that we neeeeeeded a vent hood instead, and he folded, but only if we went with one of those stainless chimney hoods and not some frou-frou wood hood, which is of course what I wanted. I folded. The hood is something Japanese sounding I picked up on ebay. How is THAT for specific? LOL. It works just fine, and if we put that badboy on 3, it might just suck the toupee off the head of our neighbor. So I only did it once. It did take a while to find the kitties, however. Heh heh.

Since we didn't need the microhood anymore, I was wondering what I should do with the brand new Dacor microwave I bought on (you guessed it) ebay for $150, and we decided we would build it into our coffee station and make it more a coffee/microwave station. I loved it and the little chef guy that plays a nifty little tune when the food is ready, BUT recently, we had THREE lengthy power outages in less than one month, and the last one did it in, and the little chef guy "gave up the ghost", which is King James for "he's dead, Jim." So now I am researching--ad nauseum--OTR microwaves to replace this one. Thankfully, I had a warranty and got all my money back! Psst--if anyone has suggestions for a new OTR or over-the-counter microwave, I'm all ears--er--eyes!

Warming drawer is a KitchenAid, and I LOVE this thing! We use it all the time! Yes, I got that on ebay, too! :^)

And my el-cheapo dishwasher is a panel-ready Ariston. I got it on ebay for $300, and this puppy ROCKS! It gets my dishes and pots and pans SPANKIN'! I only had a dishrinser before, so I love my dishwasher. And besides getting my stuff super clean, it is super quiet. Oh, and my plastics come out DRY! Woo Hoo!

*Sheeesh* I didn't mean to be so "chatty" here. I blame it on the caffeine. Pepsi with CRUSHED ICE! Mmmmmm.

• doonie
    13 years ago

I hate rinky dink appliances.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Sorry about that last post. My 13 y/o DS absconded my computer when I left to get coffee! (So don't start War of the Roses here;)

Anywho...

I did lots of research, like we all did, on my appliances. In a perfect world, I would like to have been able to use several different brands to come up with my ideal selections. Unfortunately I had to only pick one of each. Before this I had all Kenmore appliances. I knew there were better appliances out there. Since this is probably my one and only remodel, I tried to choose appliances that would complement how I cook, that would be durable, and with price points I felt comfortable with.

Dishwasher...Asko fully integrated (D5233XXLFI) I think this is the DW with the least amount of washing options. I just wanted something quiet that was paneled for cabinet symmetry on our clean up wall. I only put scraped dishes in the dw. Old habits are hard to break! We hand wash everything else. It has been a fine DW, but I am not excited about it.

Microwave...under cabinet Drawer�Sharp 24" This is a pleasurable appliance. I love how the drawer automatically opens and shuts. Plus it is such an improvement for a 5'4" person to be able to reach down to take out reheated items rather than reach for the OTR microwave we used to have. It works like a charm. Love it!

Rangetop...Wolf gas six sealed burners I do love this. Most of my cooking is done here. Basically I end up using the front three burners for most things. I do use the back burners for simmering or water boiling. It's great to cook on. I always have some anxiety though because my cookware, which I got 3 years ago, is the Cuisinart that has the aluminum cores, so I keep worrying that I am melting the disk off of the bottom. It hasn't happened yet, but it makes me nervous to use the high on the range top because the instructions with the pans said not to use high. I haven't yet resolved this issue. Also, I still wonder if I would rather be cooking on unsealed burners. Of course then I would still need different cookware to appreciate the full force of the heat. Under the grates, the top is shiny black around the burners. I wish it were easier to keep clean.

Refrigerator...Monogram 48" side by side ss built in (fresh food 17.56 cu ft & freezer 12.3 cu ft) This took a loong time to figure out. I knew I did not want a through the door ice/water device. It takes up too much freezer space and is something else to break, plus the small people spill water and ice on the floor. No panels here. I see the finger marks of the folks all along the handle and edge of the refrigerator. Since I see it, I clean it. Lots of nasties can collect there. That is my main reason for no panels. I don't care if my fridge looks like a fridge, although I have seen some gorgeous kitchens with paneled fridges, it's just not worth the expense for me. If the SZ had door storage for gallon milks, I would have gotten it. However, only the GE Monogram had that and we go through a ton of milk. The door storage was the deciding factor, along with the over all size. The shallower depth is great for me. I no longer have fuzzy unknowns in the back of my fridge. Other than that, it's just a refrigerator.

Stoves....GE Monogram 30" Professional Electric Convection Double Wall Ovens These have functioned well for me. I went from a single to double ovens and I love having 2 ovens. They each have a warming setting, which is why I didn't feel the need to have a separate warming drawer. I love love love having 2 ovens now! They seem to work fine for me. I am glad that my GC convinced me that wall ovens were ergonomically easier to use rather than having it all in a stove. He was correct. I do like the way the racks slide out, makes it that much easier to get food in and out. I don't know why they come with 3 racks each though. I am storing the extra rack. Who cooks with 3 racks unless you are drying something. Rhome's saga has me a little leery of my new ovens, but I don't bake nearly as frequently as she does, so I think I'll be happy. But part of me wonders....

• User
    13 years ago

haha doonie...you are a treat!

I have enjoyed reading the descriptions/justificatoins for the purchases or re-using of appliances. This post should be required reading for all folks that are thinking about/doing a remodel.

I forgot to mention my fantastic Tradewind 1400 cfm hood liner with the remote roof mounted blower. Shelayne's post made me laugh , our GC said I should get lead shoes...I am 5'2" and he was afraid I would get sucked up. It gets everything else all the HOGS and does it quietly.

I also have my Mom's original Sharp microwave/convection oven from 1979. It works just fine, the convec has never been used. It sits under the counter on its own shelf. I too love reaching down to get things out.

I guess that is all. No disposal as we have the antique soapstone sink and it wouldn't have worked to put one in and I don't miss it anyway. c

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

I was a SZ fan for 28 years and still like the brand very much. Unfortunately, we only have space for a 36" and have a pup that likes ice so I wanted a dispenser. Went with KA built-in this time because of of the metered water. LOVE the convenience. Are you listening SubZero? Get precise measurement without a measuring cup for everything from coffee to rice. Did I mention how much I love the convenience? All things being equal, had SZ provided a 36" SxS dispenser model, I would have gotten it but still think the metered dispenser is awesome.

Second time with Miele MasterChef. Love the rotisserie. Trailrunner is right, although I don't know how to replace the themostat. Six ovens and 20 years ago I stopped using the self-cleaning feature once I learned it tends to shorten the life expectancy of ovens and is an energy hog. It's never been too difficult to keep an oven clean enough with a quick wipe down after use. I only really use a cleaning product once a year or so, so a pristine oven is not that high a priority I guess.

Can recommend Asko DWs which we've had for years, but this time went with Bosch integrated because of the undermount pan which supposedly only Bosch and Miele provide. I tend not to use DWs a lot, but when I do my requirements are energy efficiency and virtual silence.

Although I have a gas stub, I really prefer smooth surface and don't find that much difference when I've had a gas cooktop vs when I've had quality electric. I don't grill indoors or use a wok burner, so YMMV. I've been very satisfied with Wolf cooktops for wonderful precision and ability to truly simmer, cleanability and beauty. First time with their induction and it's not yet connected, but based upon previous Wolf electrics, I have high hopes once I get the past the learning curve.

I've had Sharp convection MWs, Samsung MW and now a Panasonic. Not much of a micro user so considered foregoing totally but in the end added one. Also added a KA wine fridge.

Best advice, once you've thoroughly researched and determined what quality and features are important to you, shop, shop, shop. I've had great luck this time around with Ebay. New items but last year's models. Better pricing than local discontinued floor models and still mfg's warranty. Had we felt more flush, I'd much prefer to have supported local businesses, but by buying through reputable Ebay vendors we saved $10k so I only got the wine cooler and DW locally. I still find it amazing to have saved $10k which allowed me to get the types of appliances we had before retiring and downsizing.

I have to check out Igloo's DeLonghi as that is some recommendation!

• sayde
    13 years ago

We are keeping our 48" KA built in refrigerator --it's still fine -- will get new door panels. Also keeping our much used Rancilio Sylvia and Rocky and the Breville counter top toaster/oven.

Arriving this week are:
    Blue Star 30 RNB gas range -- very nervous about this one but love the burners. It will be dark brown.
    Miele Diamante DW -- we wanted a fully integrated panel and we needed this to fit flush with our inset cabs.
    Miele Chef Speed Oven -- bye bye separate MW, I hope, and this will be a second oven. With this and the Breville I don't really think we'll use the oven on the Blue Star very much. Most of our cooking is done on the burners. I considered getting a rangetop and not having a large oven at all -- but was quickly persuaded that this would be folly, like having a house without a bathtub.
    ISE Excel Disposal.
    Copper Hood - custom with a liner to fit a 1200 CFM Prestige.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I've done 2 renos in 5 years (don't ask -- we didn't move to "retirement" house yet). Also became int designer as a result so twice as smart second time around -- or at least not as many choice errors).

K1

Heaven help me I have Viking 36" fridge, 36" smoothie electric (no gas) and 36" chimney hood. All have been repaired/replaced at least twice expect for fridge which had mother board switch out within first month (waranty). Had Viking oven bought back.

Oven replaced with 30" Miele Perfect Clean (love, love).
    Viking (Panasonic badge) built in microwave + second older GE small micro (very handy) "left" with us by DD2 when she married.

Miele Incognito DW (love, love).
    Asko f/l pair washer/dryer (love, love though smallish capacity which is not an issue for us)
    GE Monogram wine fridge (love, love).

K2

Replaced 80s appliances and kitchen (have posted saga many times) including GE white top-freezer fridge, Modern Maid black stove, GE Potscrubber dw and Frigidaire washer/dryer (neither properly vented).

Choices -- love, love and not one single repair/call -- nada so...

30" Liebherr fridge
    30" Bertazzoni ss range
    Miele Optima dw
    Bosch Axxis stacked w/dryer (life changing) front loaders.
    Panasonic microwave

In my next/fantasy life (I have done my last kitchen) I would love to have a Lacanche or La Cornue range, induction cooktop, built in Miele espresso machine, Kohler stages sink, and a house that's so modern, low maintenance and built in I won't ever again say to myself "what were you thinking?" Because there won't be much around.

I am also resolved in the new year to open an etsy shop because I have way more vintage than anyone deserves in this life and it is nice but must go.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Doonie...Full speed ahead. :-) Enjoy your oven and I hope you it always works great for you. I sure agree about the 3rd rack, though. If it's any consolation, Lascatx has me worried about my Wolf, as she's questioning her 2nd Wolf oven. No brand has 100% perfect records and 100% happy customers...It's sad that we have to feel like every choice is some kind of major gamble.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Rococogurl, good luck w/ your etsy venture. Why is the Bosch WD lifechanging?

Eight year ago, I had Akso FLs but understand the quality has declined under new ownership. What I liked about the Asko was minimal dryer lint which I equated with less fabric wear on tear. In Germany I've used and been amazed by how whites look after a Miele wash. I won't be able to replace the set which came with the house immediately, but I'm on the hunt sometime this year. I check the Laundry forum but have not really gotten an answer. What say you or anyone else with comparative advice?

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

DW: KA KUDE60, very happy with it.
    Range: E'lux induction slide-in. Big mistake, nothing but problems with it.
    Hood: Broan Elite E661, works fine for my use.
    Fridge: Amana French door w/ bottom drawer freezer. Like it, but ice in the door would be far more convenient.
    Freezer: Frigidaire upright FFU14F5HW, works fine but noisy.
    Countertop convection microwave: Cuisinart CMW-200, convenient size and works OK, but noisy and gets VERY hot.

• Jon T
    13 years ago

I've had my new kitchen up and running for about three weeks now. Still learning, some stuff be here is what I choses and what I think so far.

Refer: Liebherr free standing 36'' french door, two-drawer bottom freezer. So far, I really like this refer. Holds a lot more than you'd think in the refer. Temp is great, appears to keep meat and veggies fresher longer than my old KA. Freezer space is a little less than I'd like, but easy to access. Does not make copious ice, but that's OK with me. Refer doors do not completely self close.

Range: 30'' self-cleaning Capital Culinarian. This is a great range. I have used the wok grate several times and love the high BTU capability. I had a few adjustments that were necessary, easy enough to fix. I've only used the oven a few times, works well (can't wait to give the rotisserie a whirl). Roll out oven racks not the best. I'm going to love this range. (Sayde - if you're reading this, don't be nervous - I'm sure you will love your BS! Don't expect perfection, no appliance delivers that.)

Hood: 36'' Modern Aire PS10 with 1200 CFM capacity. This hood rocks. A bit pricey, but it proved its worth when I wok'd a chicken, beef and shrimp dish back to back ot back to feed a family gathering Sat night. Baffle filters are super easy to remove and go straight to the DW.

Dishwasher: Miele Diamante. This DW holds a lot and cleans very well. It is also very quiet. I'm impressed so far.

MW: Miele 4080 BM Speed Oven. I bought a slightly older floor model to save a bit. I love this oven. It is not difficult to use as a straight microwave. I broiled asparagus on a sheet of aluminum foil with olive oil, salt and pepper - super easy, super good. I also programmed it to pop on at a prescribed time for a defined duration and temperature to warm up a large casserole dish for Christmas dinner. That was very helpful. I have not yet used it in combo mode, but the ability to use it as an oven, or a broiler or a microwave has been great.

Warming drawer: Miele. I've not had a WD before. This one works pretty good. I like the ability of programming for 1, 2, 3 or 4 hrs. I plan to always use the timer, just in case I forget to turn it off. Easy to use and it sure is handy.

Good luck.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

doonie, Thanks for the good laugh!

Most of mine have been mentioned several times, but here goes:

Bosch oven and built in microwave, but not the combo because you can't replace just one unit. Love it, my first really good oven and it makes a big difference.

Kitchenaid sealed burner gas cooktop, can't recommend and now use it only to display new cookware. It will be replaced with induction soon. Most of my cooking is on the portable induction unit. Love it.

Kenmore dishwasher, nice looking with controls on top of door, but I still have to wash the dishes first.

Kenmore side by side fridge with water and ice.

Kenmore hood, with four lights, love that.

We have a second small microwave in the pantry because it suits the way we live. Friends find it funny though.

Tried to start out with matching appliances, but seemed best to pick what works. They're all stainless but otherwise don't match.

All were purchased on sale, at outlets, or Craigslist.

• shadco1
    13 years ago

Hodge Podge

Bosch DW
    Wolf 30" gas cooktop
    Wolf 30" Hood remote blower
    Monogram Wall oven
    Monogram Advantium
    Electrolux Icon 42" side by side built in fridge.
    Kenmore trash compactor.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

abundantblessings -- Bosch Axxis stackables in a closet (condenser dryer) allow us to do all laundry in apartment -- no up/down 12 floors to basement; no commercial dryer heat, no oxygen bleach, no softeners. My towels were in shreds and scratchy from building machines -- couldn't get mildew out of washcloths -- ugh. New towels (using Persil) come out wonderfully soft as do clothes, king sheet sets and whites sparkle. I wash all lingerie, silk and techno fabrics in Bosch. Axxis pair are made in Germany.

My Askos are 6 y.o. and also very good. Bosch is larger capacity with less precise temp controls vs Asko with smaller tub and more precise temp controls. Both have the 1200 rpm spin.

My Asko washer had to be replaced as 3 cycles didn't work after controller boards switched out multiple times. They say it's electric in the house but same 3 cycles don't work on new machine either and even after electrical line was replaced. Fortunately, those are delicate and wool cycles and one other but still.

So would buy Bosch again and/or a Miele pair if replacement was ever needed and we stopped commuting.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

FRIDGE - Subzero all fridge. plus freezer drawers
    D/W - Fisher Paykel drawers
    RANGE- LaCanche CIteaux in matt black; two ovens, warming drawers, four burners, hob, and stainless counter
    M/W - any old thing, hidden

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

We have a fifteen year-old 4-oven Aga range, which we moved with us to this 100-year-old house from our 160-year-old house. For nine years we managed well enough with the Aga in an otherwise pretty terrible kitchen (1970s or 80s vintage we think), while plotting what we hope is our last kitchen renovation.

When the nasty old refrigerator died, we replaced it with a SZ Pro 48 fridge/freezer combination, and ditched the old freezer and extra fridge that were in the basement. Still a nasty kitchen, but with much-loved range and awesome fridge/freezer. Five years passed....

Now the kitchen renovation is nearly done: of course the Aga stays, and we are appending a Module to it so we can use just that in summer. In the winter, the big gas-fired Aga is a welcome source of radiant heat in the kitchen, functioning as a fourth zone, which means we can shut the doors in there and turn down the oil-burning furnace to the rest of the house. Since we sort of live in the kitchen, anyway. The Module is really just a small conventional dual-fuel range, but the Aga people in England were able to use the paint code to match the cream enamel to our old range.

Rangecraft made a beautiful stainless steel wall-mounted hood to extend the length of the Aga-plus-Module combination, and it is a delight. Great light, quiet, pretty as a range hood can be. We've never had a hood before and can see that we'll be much more intrepid about searing and blackening now! Won't miss the grease settling on the cookbooks, or the lingering cooking smells.

We don't have a microwave, or a crockpot, or any of those peripherals. We do have an ice cream maker and a panini press: fun but not essential. I don't suppose any of this is essential, if you think about it.

The SZ Pro 48 stays, and looks about the same as it did the day it was delivered. The cabinets were designed around it. My husband says we can be buried in it.

The much-despised Maytag dishwasher landed on the curb and has been replaced by a stainless steel Miele La Perla. We had a Miele DW before and have missed it for the last nine years. We're using the "free gift" Miele detergent tablets, no salt because we live in a soft-water zone, and the results are excellent. Cumulatively we have had Miele appliances for twenty-three appliance-years, ranging in age from thirteen years to three weeks, without a service call yet.

the Insinkerator ProExcel Compact disposal seems to be just fine. We needed the Compact version because the custom 2'x2' Julien utility sink in the island has a right rear corner drain and is hard up against the side of the island (so that it is accessible from both sides).

So: We did the reverse of what usually happens, I know, by gradually acquiring appliances long in advance of the actual renovation, but I am glad not to be paying for the range and the fridge/freezer all at once and at today's prices! Seems to me that they have gotten pricier since I last looked. I thought there was a recession on? Someone tell Subzero.

Lynn

• gryane
    13 years ago

Here's what we did:

48" Capital Precision range with 8 burners (got a great deal at the local scratch and dent place but there's not a scratch on it)
    Electrolux all fridge and all freezer (bought new)
    Vent-A-Hood Range Hood (bought new)
    Bosch dishwasher (moved over from our temporary housing)
    Insinkerator Garbage disposal
    We don't use a microwave so didn't need to get that

• boschboy
    13 years ago

I decided to do the appliances first and the kitchen reno second so most of my appliances are new.

Double Wall Oven - Kitchen Aid (I like mine but would probably not buy again based on all the issues found here on GW.)

OTR Micro - Kitchen Aid (Can't wait until reno and I can get a real hood.)

Induction Cooktop - Bosch (Love my induction. It is amazing.)

DW - Bosch (So quiet and cleans amazingly.)

French Door Fridge - Bosch (I took a chance on a new product and have not been disappointed.)

• motleydog
    13 years ago

Waiting in the warehouse for delivery are:

Bertazzoni all-gas professional series range;
    Best by Broan chimney hood;
    Miele Chef series speed oven;
    Miele Diamante D/W;
    Bosch frig;
    Julien SS sink;
    KWC Ono faucet.
    ISE Evolution disposal

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

We had our stove and dishwasher for almost 28 years if you can believe it, so it was a challenge for me to decide what new to buy...but this is what we have now our renovation is complete:

Maytag fridge with bottom freezer and ice maker (which I love, what a treat to me that is!)

Miele Optima dishwasher

Electrolux wave touch all gas oven with matching over the range microwave

I find the dishwasher smaller than what I am used to but perhaps I just haven't gotten used to it yet-only been 2 months?

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, rococogurl!

Back on topic: OP didn't ask about faucets, but I really like the Kalia brand. Call around for the best savings.

• Shira S
    13 years ago

We are in the process of choosing.

Right now we've settled on a 36" side by side KA (with Sabbath mode).

DH really wants a rangetop so we are probably going with the Wolf 6 burner.

After all my oven research (especially rhome), we are probably going with the Wolf. I want an oven to function and not break. Its almost a waste because I'm not a huge cook/baker, but I'll have to start making challah more often!

Lower end KA dishwashers.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I suppose you could say that I went with function (and bargains) over form in most cases.

Capital Precision 36" range, bought at a liquidator's auction. Would have chosen a Wolf, if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on this. But I'm happy with it.

Imperial Twin Blower 1200 cfm range hood insert. So far, so good, but it hasn't been in and operating long. I chose it for the low noise/high cfm factor and generally good reviews. The price from Universal Kitchen appliance and design (including shipping to East Coast) was great.

Kitchenaid FD refrigerator with in the door ice and water, counter depth. Decent reviews and the price was right...bought at liquidator's auction. Roomier than I feared it would be, and for the first 5 months all was fine. Now that it's hooked up to water and making ice, I can't seem to get the temperature right in the food compartment...it keeps freezing vegetables in the crisper drawer on that side.

8 year-old GE microwave installed under counter. When it dies, I plan to replace it with a convection/micro combination.

Bosch 500 series Integra DW. Loved my old one in my previous house. Love this one. Quiet and good cleaning.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

fun thread ...i love appliance discussion!

capital precision 48" range w/grill
    i bought this series before the new culinarian came out.
    turbo chef speed cook oven
    thermador 30" columns fridge/freezer
    miele optima
    miele excella
    miele 48xx washer/dryer
    bosch vision 500 washer/dryer
    miele's for the main upstairs laundry, bosch's for the mudroom.

we're not in yet so i haven't worked with any of these yet. ;*(

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Range: Fratelli Onofri Royal Chiantishire double oven in burgundy with brass accents (dual fuel). Love it!

DW: Asko 5233, stainless with towel bar handle. Quiet, pretty, cleans well, has bells and whistles (time delay...). Great so far.

MW: Panasonic Prestige NN-SD797S. This microwave rules! And is cool looking (see link)! And inexpensive! Yay!

We haven't chosen the fridge yet. It'll probably be either the Electrolux or the 72" KitchenAid counter depth bottom-freezer French door in stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic microwave

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Our appliance choices (and by "our" I mean all of us, not just mine) are so personal -- it's fascinating!

Like trailrunner we spent over a year just doing research on appliances. For my husband, who does the vast majority of the cooking plus we're vegan, having a separate all-fridge and all-freezer was a must. Based on our research, talking with owners / repair centers, we easily chose the Thermador 30" freedom all-fridge and all-freezer columns. It's been 2.5 years and we're still really happy with them. There was a problem with the freezer's CPU (?) but it was taken care of quickly and fairly by Thermador. We were pleased with how they handled it.

My husband also insisted on a continuous grate gas cooktop. Because I have a problem with things boiling over I needed sealed burners and separated wells (so the boiled over fluid wouldn't go everywhere). We live at high altitude (5400 ft), so we needed high BTUs, plus my husband is Japanese and does a lot of high-heat Asian-inspired cooking. For us, the Thermador 36" six-burner cooktop was the right choice. It is super easy to clean (we're messy) and we're happy with its performance.

I love to bake and I'm only 5'4" -- I desperately wanted a french door or side-opening oven. This was the thorn in my side as when I started my search Gaggenau only came in either 24" (am I remembering that correctly?) wide double ovens or a single 36" oven, and holy cow is Gaggenau expensive! Jeez. But then I became obsessed and Gaggenau was going to release a 30" double oven ... so I did it: Gaggenau 30" double wall-oven, side-opening. So expensive but I'm still so so so happy with my side-opening ovens! Use them every day, every single day. Truthfully, the baking is fine. I know there are many Gagg lovers who rave about the superior baking from their Gaggs -- I think it's fine. But I will tell you this: it heats up quickly, the fan is quiet, and the controls are easy to use although not intuitive. Everyone who comes over needs serious instruction in how to turn it on.

Our microwave is a Sharp R-1214 over-the-counter which is, you know, a microwave. It gets the job done. We didn't want a countertop microwave nor a built-in where we'd have to have the fancy grills, so this was it which wasn't an over-the-range (didn't want or need the vent).

Our dishwasher is a Kitchen-Aid, one highly recommended by Consumer Reports. We knew we wanted hidden controls (little "helpful" hands), super-duper quiet and it had to have a grinder. Our previous dishwasher was a mid-range Bosch and it did not have a grinder. My husband refuses to wipe off anything before it goes in the dishwasher (I wipe into the garbage -- I refuse to rinse), including popcorn kernels. I think it's a dumb move on his part but by getting a dishwasher with a grinder I can at least not have to deal with a flooded dishwasher. I was furious when that happened. Anyway, so far so good!

We also have GE Monogram 24" refrigerator drawers. Perfecto! For our needs (and I'm including budget here) they perfectly meet the bill. They are easy to open / close, easy to clean (all things considered), hold everything we need them to ....

Our vent is a remote blower Broan. I can't remember anything else about it, but it's powerful and has the remote blower -- the remote was the issue for my husband.

• kitchen1921
    13 years ago

We needed a really narrow counter-depth stainless steel fridge, and we bought our appliances before Liebherr came out with their 24" model. So it was down to Summit Professional or GE, and the Summit Professional got better reviews. It's a gorgeous little fridge. No fancy features, but it's served us well since the day we plugged it in.

For cooking, we wanted induction (30"), and at the time, you could only get a range top. (Well, that's not true. Diva de Provence had just come out with a range, but it was $10K. We weren't willing to pay that.) So we waffled back and forth between Electrolux and Bosch for a while, before settling on the Bosch because I liked the burner configuration better. We opted to get the "matching" convection oven to go underneath it because Bosch promised us they could be installed together. They work beautifully together, and we got great deals on both appliances on E-Bay. (Also, I have to give a shout out to Bosch customer service here ... when the oven was delivered with an improperly connected control panel, they stood behind their product despite its "discount" origins and sent a tech out to our house in the middle of nowhere to fix it free of charge.)

Our dishwasher is also Bosch. We wanted an 18" wide stainless steel DW, so our options were Bosch and Miele. We went for the Bosch because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper and looked nice with our other Bosch appliances. We got it on E-Bay, too.

Our range hood is a GE Profile 650 CFM canopy style. I had originally purchased an IKEA range hood, but returned it when I found the GE Profile on deep clearance at the Sears Outlet. It had one small (and I mean TINY) mark on the finish, so the price had been reduced from $1150 to $400. I figured in my kitchen, it would eventually get a mark on it anyway, so why not take advantage of the depreciation BEFORE the fact? ;-) It looks great but actually hasn't been hooked up yet. Frankly, it is overkill for my tiny kitchen, but I wanted the canopy hood look.

Our microwave is a Sharp stainless steel compact countertop model that we got because it's the only one we could find that would fit in the IKEA upper cabinet microwave shelf without adding the hideous bumpout thing. It's small but mighty -- the best-performing MW I've ever owned, honestly.

Coffee maker is a Keurig B70. LOVE THIS MACHINE. It was a Christmas gift from my husband and I think the thing I love most about it is how clean it keeps the coffee area. Husband used to spill and slosh and drop coffee grounds everywhere when making a regular pot, and never wiped it up, so there was always crusty coffee all over the countertops. With the Keurig, everything is self contained, so there's no mess. It makes a pretty darn decent cuppa, too.

• User
    13 years ago

Appliance choices are agonizing, aren't they? I'm so glad to be done with this part. Nothing is installed yet, but soon, very soon... Then I'll get to see whether our choices are good ones.

The range was the hardest pick. I began thinking I'd get a fairly standard brand, probably with a small oven on top and larger on the bottom. But the more I looked the more convinced I became that I wanted something without a lot of electronic programming that I'd never use. I knew I didn't need the high Btu's on every burner of a pro-style range, nor did I have the budget to vent one adequately (make-up air is required here for anything over 300 cfm.)

Trying to find something in between basic ranges and pro ranges was harder than I would have guessed. I finally chose a Bertazzoni, all gas. It fits all my criteria and as a bonus, um, well, it's pretty. The oven of the 30" would hold a roaster but nothing else at the same time, so I got the 36." I also purchased a Breville convection toaster oven for all the times when the large oven isn't needed. The Breville is fantastic!

The hood is a chimney-style Vent-A-Hood, with less capture area/volume than a non-chimney style, but it has to stand alone between two windows so form was important. We'll see how cleaning the squirrel cage goes.

Dishwasher: We were happy with the Bosch we had at the old house, but Asko won out this time because of fan-assisted drying and a five-year warranty.

Refrigerator: LG four-door French door, full depth, no water/ice in the door. I know that they're reputed to have repair problems, but we liked the style and interior configuration, and this one was a close-out at half the price of our second choice. We bought it at a local/family-run/customer-service-oriented store and got the extended warranty.

Microwave: a four-year-old Kenmore, mid-sized. It's going in an appliance garage, gets infrequent use, and will be replaced by something similar after it's time is up.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Blue Star 48" range - love it. We had a huge issue at the beginning - they delivered a propane unit instead of a gas and the repair company were idiots. Got a new repair company and much better. Love the double ovens. The grill takes a little to get use to it - not up to my expectation but I hear all stove top grills are like that. The Capital Culinarian was not available when I ordered my appliances in 11/09 but may have gotten it if it was available.

Prestige 1600cfm blower and fan -love it too. Sooo quiet that I wonder if it's really sucking that much exhaust. I had my hood made 54" by 27" for a large capture area.

Two KA panel ready DW - KUDS50FVPA: great quiet units. Pulled the cabinet run out a few inches "just in case" the DWs did not sit flush. We can fit so much more dishes in it than our 10 year old Maytag unit (yet the external size is the same).

Samsung FD frig - RFG297AAWP - with water and ice on the door. Love this too. I prefer single door frig but the space warranted a FD.

Microwave - under counter (on shelf) 15 year old Amana microwave that won't die. A real workhorse. Also got a small cheap 2nd microwave for kids - warming bagels, popcorn, etc. that is countertop.

KA undercounter panel ready frig - Architect Series II KURO24: Fair - sometimes when you think the door is close it's not. Very expensive for what it is but this was the best price for a mid range panel ready uncercounter frig ($1000). Had a hard time convincing myself it was worth the money but needed that 2nd frig.

Tapmaster: Love it!

Insinkerator Evol garbage disposal - fine and does it job.

• fromthesouth
    13 years ago

Well today's appliance package contains a built-in 42" FD fridge, 36" dual fuel range and DW from KitchenAid. We're keeping our old GE MW and putting it in the pantry and who knows which second oven we'll end up with. We're likely going to get a Dandy wine fridge and keep our old DW in the butler's pantry.

I say "today" because it was very different "yesterday" and who knows that it will be tomorrow. LoL! I know this is a bit OT, but maybe someone will learn from our mistake. We committed to our appliances too soon. We really thought our layout was locked and loaded so went ahead and committed to a rangetop and DO. I posted the layout on here secretly hoping to get the "looks great, well-thought out" and, well, that didn't happen. It was rightly pointed out by almost everyone that we really had no countertop space and the layout was very inefficient. Based on the feedback, we closed off a food pantry and luckily the appliance store has been AWESOME about allowing us to switch out the rangetop and DO for a range and separate oven. With the changes we reclaimed 62" of countertop space, and while not the most efficient layout, is a vast improvement of what we have today and will hopefully work well for us.

So my two cents to anyone in the planning phase is don't rush to buy appliances, I don't care how good the bargain. Wait until you are 100% sure your layout is done (post it here if you want a gut check) and then sit on it for a week to make sure! Also, I'm glad we're dealing with a small, local appliance store. They have been great to work with and I'm certain a big box store would not have been so accommodating to our changing situation, which I'm fully aware was of our own doing.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

we haven't started our project yet but I have pretty much picked out the appliances.
    KA CD Side x side fridge
    Wolf Oven E series
    KA DW
    Thermador 36" gas OR Miele 36" induction (leaning toward induction but in order to decide will go to test drive at a Miele showroom - in the process of making an appt).

• nini804
    13 years ago

We are building a custom home...so I am in the midst of all kinds of decisions! I have done lots of homework, trying to get the best appliances I can while not going over our allowance budget. (They're never high enough, are they? :) ) I also needed to get a new washer/dryer with the $, so here's what I picked!

Pretty much all KitchenAid (that is what was in our house growing up, and I don't remember anything EVER breaking!!) I adore the look of a Viking range...but who am I kidding? I am a lackluster, uninspired cook, plus...the commercial style 36" KA gas range gave me more room for my beloved countertops AND I like the look of it very much. It looks like I am a real cook! I am excited about my griddle!

I think the vent is KA also, but it is just the internal motor, etc...the vent is being covered in some lovely cabinetry/moldings.

We did get a Sharp m/w drawer to put in our island...everyone says they are quite awesome! My husband is concerned about the button open/close, though. He thinks it is one more thing our children can break.

The KA dishwasher is really beautiful inside and out and quiet and really awesome. I am looking forward to using it.

The one appliance that I am concerned about is the fridge. It is a 36" KA counterdepth french door with internal ice and water (for aesthetic reasons...I wanted an unobstructed front of SS.) I went with the 36" instead of the 42" (or maybe it was 48") built-in for two reasons 1. to save $$ 2. to get more beloved counterspace. I am afraid the fridge will be too small. My cabinet maker is designing the cabinets around it to make it "look" built-in, so I guess I am mostly worried about it's function! We are putting an old fridge in the garage for parties...so hopefully it will be ok!

I hope I will be as happy with the KA as my mom has been through the years!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I guess I can chime in here because I finally bought a range. I bought a floor model Dacor Epicure 30'' AG at half off the list price. It is not my dream red CC or Bluestar but I think it is good choice for me and DH. We like the looks of the Epicure hood but I haven't really decided on it yet.

Oh, I almost forgot my fridge. I bought a Liebherr CS 2062 last year. I love this fridge so much. We haven't even hooked up the water line for the ice maker and no one has complained.

The cabinet order should go in next month.

• sandn
    13 years ago

We're expecting our cabinets mid February, so not everything is in place yet, except the range and hood, both of which we love.
    Range--36" Wolf all gas, unsealed burners, grill in the middle (adore this! N loves cooking on the grill). We're cooks, not bakers, and so far the range is excellent.
    Hood--42" Thermador (preferred it to the Wolf--fantastic warming lights)
    Refrigerator--30" Sub-Zero glass door, bottom freezer drawer
    Microwave--still searching for a 12" deep microwave (we hardly use ours)
    Dishwasher--Bosch to replace our existing Bosch (not sure of the model)
    It all seems so easy to list everything here, but every choice was researched and agonizingly debated in some cases, for years, literally years, before purchase.

• quiltgal
    13 years ago

nini804 - we're in the same boat as you are. Framing will start next week & we're driving ourselves crazy trying to decide which appliances to get. Our kitchen isn't all that big with just 10' of outside wall counter space with a 60/40 SS undermount sink plus 2.5' next to our LG French door w/ 2 bottom freezers refrigerator and a 4x8 island.

Because of limited space, we opted to forego the wall oven and install a dual fuel built-in (slide-in) range in the island. So far, and by no means the final decision, we've selected:

Electrolux 30" dual fuel EW30GS65GS range which has a 2nd oven where a storage or warming drawer would normally be.
    Sharp 24" drawer microwave
    Electrolux EIDW6305GS Dishwasher

The only reason we selected the Electrolux dishwasher because it will be directly across from the range and thought they should match.

We could be talked out of any of this if we find others have had problems with them.

The microwave will be to the left of our fridge so no matching problem there.

Our next hurdle is the ventilation system. We had originally wanted a downdraft system but have been convinced that combining that with a slide-in range is a bad idea so we're looking at two 36" glass canopy style hoods:

Frigidaire RHPC60GS (which is made by Electrolux)
    Broan Elite Series EI5936SS

We want something that won't block our gorgeous view and doesn't cost a fortune. These are both around 500 cfm which is probably fine since we hardly ever use our current vent.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with either of these hoods?

Also, nini804, what model #s are the K-A appliances you're considering?