Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

Do these pendants work with my kitchen? pics

positano
15 years ago

Well, we still have a lot to do. But I'm trying to figure out the pendants, so the electrician can finish up. My BIL is doing a lot of the finishing work, so we are at his mercy when he can get to it. Still need to put up the hood(stainless), pendants, light over table, backsplash, trimwork, crown molding to the ceiling and toe kicks.

I found these Kichler pendants in Old Bronze. They are similar to the Hudson Valley ones, just a much better price. They don't come in satin nickel, just polished and olde bronze. I kind of like the dark element to go with the stools and dark table, but not sure if it's too much in a small kitchen. And the ceilings are only a little over 8 foot. BIL thinks we should do recessed above the island, but I really like the ambience the pendants could give. And they would be on dimmers which I love. If you think I should forget the pendants let me know. I don't want it to be too busy.

Here are some of my choices:

Kichler olde bronze pendant

Crate and Barrel extension table

I like the idea of this striped pendant to bring in some color.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19724

Or maybe something like Mamadadapaige's in bronze

{{gwi:1603473}}

or just a drum shad over the table

Here is my kitchen with the darker stools

From January 2009
{{gwi:1603479}}From January 2009
{{gwi:1603481}}From January 2009

This is part of the living room that you see from the kitchen

From January 2009

When DH comes home I can have him hold up the pendants and take a picture. Sorry these don't look so clear. My camera is terrible.

This is a picture from cottage living that I loved the darker pendants in.

Thanks for the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: orange striped room and board pendant

Comments (15)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

positano - you *have* to get that striped shade for over the table. I like the pendants, too. You have so much light an dbright in your kitchen that you need some dark elements to anchor it. Definitely would not do recessed.

Side note: Where did you get that inspiration pic? The range looks an awful lot like mine (Kenmore Elite induction slide-in).

• wascolette
    15 years ago

I vote Yes to the Kichler olde bronze pendant. I love all of your chandlier options, but agree that the color the striped one would add would be nice.

Your kitchen is charming. I just love it!

• gglks
    15 years ago

i like the old bronze kichler.....it ties in with the brown stripe on the drum shade and your dark stools......it's looking great!!!!

• astridh
    15 years ago

Either pendant, but don't do just a recessed light. At least, choose a flushmount or semi-flushmount. If you just put in a can, to me it will look like you forgot something, and I think you would regret it.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I like it too, and it'll be easier to clean than the textile shades on the other choices.

FWIW, I much prefer yours to that kitchen from Cottage Living!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Positano (have you been there? It's in one of my favorite places in the world), the one I don't see working is the bronze chandelier with 4 lamps on it. Are you going to put the pendant over the round table, or the island? I think the striped shade lends a feeling of funky modernism. It would add contrast and color. I see the pendant with the drum shade adding a conservative, monochromatic color scheme feeling. I say monochromatic even tho you have more than one color going on, but the gray counter, stainless appliances and white cabinet could be either be a backdrop for accent colors, or a color statement of their own. So if you know which way you want to go with the room, you could base your decision on that.

If the colors of the striped shade go with the living room colors, I can see either lamp relating the two rooms to each other. (I like the glimpse of your LR, btw.) I'm visualizing these pendants going over the round table. Probably the only way to know for sure is to order the one(s) you like best and holding them up to see how they work.

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. The Kitchler pendants are being considered for over the island....if I didn't use them I would probably go towards a brushed nickel fixture.I was just worried about it being too dark in the middle of the room. The orange stripe drum shade, cream drum shade and mama's fixture are being considered for over the table.

I really am leaning toward the kichler pendants and the orange green stripe for the table. I just found the orange in a medium size that would work a little better. Just worried about it locking me into the orange thing. I like to change decor with the seasons....would it clash with my Christmas stuff? What about the blue and green one from Room and board? Not enough zip? The orange does bring the room to life.

Any other opinions?

Oh, pbrisjar the picture was from cottage living...maybe the Dec issue? Not sure. Urban grace blog had some info on it. Scroll down about half way down to see more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Grace Blog

• gglks
    15 years ago

i really like the orange one, but i know what you mean about "locking" you into color. i think the "rust" color stripe could work with christmas decor (if you steer away from the cherry reds and go with the more burgandy colors in your kitchen for chrismas). maybe someone can photoshop (HINT HINT HINT) the blue/green one in for you and see what it looks like with your bowl of oranges and orange flowers......maybe the accessories being orange will be enough. but i do think my favorite drum shade is the orange one.....

• busybme
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm going to be a bit of a downer here, but I don't think the striped drum chandy works with the Kichler pendants. Very different styles and your space will have them positioned close to each other.

The drum chandy is great, but very mid-century modern. The bronze pendants have a much more 'antique industrial' feel to them.

The drum chandy that has the cream shade shows a little bit of bronze, which could be just enough to tie it in with the pendants (if you are really sold on the pendants).

After looking at the pictures of your lovely home again, I think I would recommend that you go for the striped drum chandy and keep searching for pendants that work with it.

Good luck! It will be great, no matter what you decide.

Sandy

• redroze
    15 years ago

YOU MUST get those Kichler Old Bronze pendants for above your island. That's not even a question. They are fabulous.

The striped drum shade is not my cup of tea. I think the orange pop works, but would you want that much of a pop or orange? The flowers and orange accessories would do. I like the white drum shade for over the table.

Great choice on the dark stools. I like how you tied in the green cushions with the green granite, but if you want to change up the cushions (and they're inexpensive) I would do a dark brown cushion to have a dramatic contrast between the stools and your creamy island.

• crashboombang
    15 years ago

I have the Kichler ones over my bar, and I really like them so far. I'm not sure how large your island is, or if your aware that this line also has 2 larger sizes of the pendants, which look a lot like the one in your picture from cottage living. I have 2 of the larger ones over my island, and they are great there, because it's a 'work area' and they put out lots of light. The largest size pendant can take up to a 150w bulb, if you need lots of light. Here is a link to the medium size:

http://www.kichler.com/consumer/products/detail/2665OZ

and below I'll put a link to the largest size. Like I said, not sure if you already knew about these, or have the need or space for them, but thought I'd mention it in case it would be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler Large pendant

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great comments, they really made me think. Dh loved the Kitchler pendants for the island and so did our electrician( a long time friend). He's coming tomorrow to install them. I do like the orange of the striped shade, but think I'll tire of it. And I'm not sure what kind of light the orange would cast. I'm leaning toward the single cream drum shade with the bronze on the bottom for over the table. IF anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to them. Like I said before I like to bring in color with flowers, fruit and accessories. This way I can change it out when I want.

Redroze, you had a great point about the green cushions. I took them off today and like the constrast much better. I just needed something for the kids to sit on and they only had green. Our house has very uneven floors,so they had to raise up the island a bit. It's about 37 inches, so a regular 24 inch stool is a tad short. The cushion helps to raise you up a bit! I'll look for a brown one that might work.

crashboombang- I would love to see a picture of your pendants installed. Do you have the small 8 inch over your bar and the bigger ones on an island? please post a pic....I would appreciate it. I did see the larger ones and love them, but they are too big for my space.

And remember if you have any better ideas for dining table light let me know. Still thinking of backsplash ideas and paint color. DH wants to paint soon....leaning toward Sag Harbor Grey( may be a little too brown) or Moselle from Pratt and Lambert. I do like BM Camouflage too, not sure if its too much green though.

Hood and lights in tomorrow so I'll post an update.

THANK YOU!

• crashboombang
    15 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get these pictures posted. Here are some shots of my pendants. The kitchen isn't finished yet, so excuse any "undones" you see. Also, still not sure if the pot rack is too cramped in & if I'll leave it the way it is. The pictures didn't turn out great, they're kind of dark and blurry and weird, but here they are:

From Pot Rack
    From Pot Rack
    From Pot Rack
    From Pot Rack

Here is an older picture of closer up on the larger pendants before the pot rack was full.

From Pot Rack

Hope that's helpful, and looking forward to seeing your pictures with your lights up!

• positano
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crashboombang, thanks so much for takiing the time to post your pictures. They look great!! I love the larger ones. We did install the smaller pendants on Saturday, and I'm very happy with them. Although they are a little uneven because my ceilings are uneven. We took down a wall between the kitchen and DR, and the two rooms were different heights!! And all my floors are uneven too.

thanks again for helping.....kitchen looks wonderful.

• gglks
    15 years ago

positano....what did you decide for over your table? any updated pics?