Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theanimala

98.627% Finished Kitchen - Transitional White Inset w/ glass tile

theanimala
14 years ago

After reading this site daily for 6 months now and getting tons of great advice it's time for us to post our finished kitchen. In keeping with the style of the house we needed to go more modern than traditional, but we didn't want something too contemporary. Also, we couldn't decide on painted or stained cabinets, so we decided to do both by painting the perimeter while having the island stained.

Although we moved no walls, it ended up being a bigger project then we expected as the old tile floor went through our foyer, powder room and laundry room. Also didn't have correct sub-flooring, and we wanted to move some of the appliances around, etc. The reason the it is only 98.627% completed, is we still have 1.373% left to do, such as glass shelves in glass front doors so in cabinet lighting can shine all the way through, etc.

Details:

Cabinets - Inset Shiloh Homestead painted MB Softwhite, Island Maple stained Espresso

Flooring - Tile Fashion Coffee 12 x 24

Countertops - Ceasarstone Raven, Ceasarstone Misty Carrera - Mitred Edge

Main Sink - Franke 33" SS Apron - FHX710-33S

Main Faucet - Generic Costco Brand

Prep Sink - Elkay - ELU1618

Prep Faucet - Danze Como Pulldown

Refrigerator - JennAir CD FD - JFC2089HES

Ovens - Electrolux - EW30EW65GS

Warming Drawer - Electrolux - EW30WD55GS

Microwave - Electrolux - EL27MO45GS

Cooktop - DCS 36" Drop-in - CTD-365

Hood - Bosch - DKE9365AUC

Beverage Center - GE Monogram - ZDBC240NBS

Dishwasher - Bosch

Backsplash - White Glass subway tile from theglassmosiacoutlet.com

Backsplash - Stainless Steel 1x2 tiles

Pulls - TopKnobs - Princetonian

Paint - BM 1542 Himalayan Trek

Before:

After:

Sink Area:

Backsplash:

Island:

Island - Backside:

Pantry Area - Closed:

Pantry - Open:

Lazy Suzan - Corner Pullout:

A big thank you to everyone who gave such great advice over the past few months. If anyone has any questions on what we like /dislike please let us know.

Comments (136)

• midwifekim
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

beautifully done. great mix of clean plus glamour. hope we can do so well on ours.

• catkin
    14 years ago

Have to say one more time--W_O_W!!!!!
    Your kitchen it truly gorgeous, thanks again for sharing!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

I'm speechless! Its amazing absolutely gorgeous! Could you tell me where you purchased the til? I love it! ... sorry if I missed it in one of your postings.

• overmyhead08
    14 years ago

Even though it's already been exclaimed many, many times over, I have to chime in with how beautiful I think your kitchen reno is. YOWZA, YOWZA, SEXY!!! is what popped into my head when I saw your first After photo. The red accents really make your kitchen pop. Congrats on a stupendous reno.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Great job!! What an incredible transformation! I really like the choices you made and how personal your kitchen looks!! Really great job!! Congratulations - you should feel so happy - it really is gorgeous!

• crazyone
    14 years ago

i am not a fan of white kitchens nor modern but your kitchen.. classic sexy... very nice job!! enjoy

• stiles
    14 years ago

Oh My GOODNESS!!! I can't believe the transformation-what a beautiful job- I really like the chunky countertop on the island. The clean, yet warm feel of the space. Especially like the red accents. Job well done!

• sofla
    14 years ago

Beautiful, I love all of your choices!

• wallycat
    14 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

Absolutely delicious!!!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

How did I miss your kitchen?? As everyone has already said - WOW! It's stunning! Congratulations on a job well done!

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

This is a beautiful kitchen! Very well done. I love the mixture of modern and traditional styling that resulted in a very clean and stunning overall aesthetic. I love the soft cool white and grays. I especially love the cabinetry and the fantastic floor tile. Congratulations!

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

• S C
    14 years ago

I'd love to know more about that beautiful tile and the thread you posted back in June is one of the missing threads. Can you give me any more information about it, the full name of it, where you bought it, etc.? Thanks!

• theanimala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

farmersdaughter, it's disappointing that the old thread is no longer available. It is fun to go back and see all of the original choices we had, and wonder what it would have come out like if we choose something different.

The tile is a 12 x 24 rectified tile from Cermiche Piemme which we purchased from a local tile store. They are out of Italy, and their website is http://www.ceramichepiemme.it. They also make a decorative border of the tile that we used as a surround in our bathroom. Here's a pic:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cermiche Piemme

• S C
    14 years ago

theanimala, thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart. I never cease to be amazed at the helpfulness of the contributors to this site, yourself included!

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning kitchen. Love all your choices and how they work together. I went to the site you gave and saw the tile. Could the kitchen tile in Fashion possibly be the Colonial color though? The Coffee color looks more like the color in your bath. If not the Coffee, was your bath floor tile the Fashion in Black? Would love to see the bath photos too. Did you post them on the bathrooms site? You have such a flair for design and I love that small photo you posted of your bathroom floor with the insets.

• jane87
    14 years ago

WOW and I LOVE your new kitchen!! It is the inspiration for my future remodel. The red accents and lights really pop with the white cabinets and tile flooring. Would you share where you purchased and the name of your red lights over the island? Thank you and again WOW!

• kayj_2010
    14 years ago

Hi - Your kitchen looks great. I was just wondering if you are still happy with your Shiloh cabinets. I am planning a kitchen remodel soon and Shiloh is my current choice. Would love your feedback now that you have lived with them for 6+ months. I am also planning to do another white inset kitchen and am a little worried about how the paint will hold up. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• theanimala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again, and sorry for the late replies. Janetribefan, the red lights over the island were purchased from archadianlighting.com. Their customer service was great, and when we had to change our order they promptly did it with no problems. In fact, they caught an error we made on our order and called us so it could be corrected. The link to our lights are here:

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/besa-tutu-pendant-1.html

Kayj_2010, regarding the Shiloh cabinets, I will PM you. We have a minor issue that we are working with Shiloh on correcting. Besides that ssue the quality of the cabinets are great.

Thanks again all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant lights

• gneebee
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and I'm so impressed you designed it yourself. With 4 kids now grown and gone, we've been remodeling the upstairs of our house (bedrooms, baths, former play area) and are now moving to the major areas downstairs: our bedroom/bath and the kitchen. I have a traditional kitchen with white cabinets and the one KD who has been here uses Shiloh cabinets, so I was eager to hear how well you like them. The other option we have is to retrofit our present cabinets to fit the new appliances, etc. I'd love new cabinets, but need to figure costs.

QUESTION: I love the look of inset doors, but everyone is talking frameless these days, it seems. I was also warned about kitchen heat & moisture possibly causing expansion/contraction of doors that would be more unforgiveable with insets. How did you make your decision?

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Love everything you did.

Question-I have been everywhere locally trying to find a black wall phone. Where on earth did you find your red one-it' so cool!!

• mariofo
    14 years ago

Fantastic!!!! What a change!!! All of the hard work & millions of decisions finally pays off. Congrats to you. I bet you cook more than ever now, I know I do.

• weiss528i
    14 years ago

Wonderful job! I'm so jealous!

• theanimala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gneebee, thank you. We considered just replacing our cabinets but we hated our old tile floor which went under the old cabinets (as well as much of the first floor). We decided to rip it all out vs living with old, cracked tile.

Regarding inset vs framless, we didn't look into frameless. We were originally going to go full overlay, until we found our just before placing our order that Shiloh was offering inset free of charge. We always loved the look of inset so we just jumped at that offer. Since then, I have read several threads at GW, but the consensus seems to be that unless you live in a swamp it shouldn't make any difference. Almost all furniture in your house is inset (check out your dressers), and how often do you run into an issue closing them? We have a whole house humidifier system, and run air conditioning during the summer, so it wasn't a concern.

christ45ny, we bought the red phone from Amazon.com. It's the red Crosley phone, and they make it in black and chrome as well. FYI, here is a picture of the black one, as well as the link to purchase (again, no affiliation to Amazon, although I do wish I was a share owner after how much we have purchased from them).

Here is a link that might be useful: Black phone at Amazon

• grandaddyshouse
    14 years ago

I was so thankful that I found this site and your posting prior to making the final decision on our kitchen remodel. We also chose Shiloh Homestead inset, but in polar white. The cabinets just went in on Friday. They are so beautiful. Didn't realize that I could fall in love with white, wooden boxes... but I did. I have a logistical question for you regarding your counterops! Can you recall if your countertops have a 1 inch overhang or a 1 1/2 inch overhang. The granite guy try to tell me that the 1 1/2 was standard, but it seemed like too much. Any opinion? We're doing Absolute Black Granite on the perimeter and Cararra Marble on the island.
    Thank you! And thank you for confirming that we made the right decision!

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

I am so glad to see your kitchen pop back up to the first page. I was just looking for it the other day. Gorgeous.

• techmom1
    14 years ago

What an amazing transformation - it's gorgeous! The time, effort and love you put into the renovation is so evident - thank you for sharing. Wishing you years of enjoyment in your new kitchen!

• dollfanz
    14 years ago

Wow! Just Fabulous! And love the red touches.

• nm73
    13 years ago

I apologize if I overlooked the specifications, but I am looking for red pendants just like the ones in your kitchen. Would you share details?

• theanimala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nm73, the pendants are made by Besa Lighting, and the model is TuTu. It is 3.5" deep and 11.25" high. We ordered it from Arcadian Lighting, and the direct link to ours is below. We did the flat canopy and upgrade wattage. Customer service was great and we have no complaints with them at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Besa TuTu at Arcadian

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Still love this kitchen. You did such a great job...because of you we too have a gorgeous flushmount sink. Thank you so much for posting, sharing and providing inspiration!

From Menlo Farmhouse

• sundownr
    13 years ago

I love the amount of space you had in your original kitchen and was certainly surprised when I saw the "afters". Amazing! Your new kitchen is so beautiful! Love the sink, the island, the pantries and on and on.

• twgg
    12 years ago

sorry for bumping an old thread, but are all the countertops 3cm thick ? but you had the island edges doubled to 6cm ?

• theanimala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

twgg, yes all of the countertops are 3cm thick, even the island. We had a mitred edge put on the island so it is actually 6.5cm thick, but you can see at the sink opening it countertop is really 3cm. We really like it, and considered doing it to the perimeter countertop if we had the money at the time.

• tea4all
    12 years ago

That is a marvelous transformation!! Love it and love the pops of red. Nice taste !

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I had to take another look as I still love the Shiloh Inset Cabinets but I am still not sure due to the frame in the middle of my door for three of my cabinets due to the sizes as I am not changing the layout of my kitchen. I love any picture I see that is Shiloh Cabinet and I love the Homestead Inset Shiloh Cabinets in the showroom near me that is in Polar White. But the Soft White looks so nice also. Are you still happy with your cabinets?

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

WOW theanimala!! What a beautiful transformation. It is stunning. I have to keep scrolling back up to look at it over and over, drooling !! I love the pops of red, and your espresso machine is awesome. What I really love is that it is so neutral that you can so many colors to it with your accessories.

I love your gray floors too!! What material is that??? they look so glossy. too die for!!

I am soo thrilled for you. ENJOY.

I

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

I forgot to ask, can you pls include your kitchen dimensions?
    how long is your range wall, fridge & oven wall, etc, and the size of your island.

TYIA.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I love that older threads can now be bumped up, this kitchen is Gorgeous! Definitely in my top 5 favorite kitchens ever.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Really love the splashes of red. I wish I was more of a risk taker when it comes to bright colors like that but I usually take the "well I will never tire of the white or stainless" route. I really love the butter yellow toaster that 2littlfFishes is getting for her kitchen but of course I went ahead and got the stainless version. Good for you for going for it. It really makes the kitchen go from a "nice job" to WOW a real stunner!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Fabulous!!! Love everything about it. My favorite detail though has to be that stainless backsplash tile. Stunning. Enjoy :-)

• gidgetgirly
    11 years ago

I absolutely love your remodel! Can I ask approximately how much something like this would cost? If you're not comfortable saying, I totally understand. I'm at the start of remodeling our kitchen and have a very tight budget. I've never remodeled anything so am so surprised at the cost of a lot of the things I'd love to have. Thanks so much, and thank you for posting the photos :)

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

Hey look what I came across.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kitchen-tune-up-santa-barbara?select=yyq8KrbKPW03qSbyQKk2rg#IchsivJv0R7WqtaRWw7tFA

I assume you didn't get your kitchen from Kitchen Tune-Up. Your kitchen is beautiful and people are eager to claim credit for it.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Still one of my favorite kitchens too! My inspiration for a modern white shaker kitchen. It's so cool!

May I ask, how is the finish holding up on your white cabs? What size are the glass subway tiles and are they easy care?
    Thanks.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

hi animala, TY so much for replying! I am glad to know you are still on GW !! Your kitchen is absolutely amazing!

I am sorry to hear about your classy red espresso machine going south! Glad you are enjoying your new one.

Best to you.

• Connie Wiener
    9 years ago

What a lovely transition in your kitchen. I am curious about your tall pantry cabinets. Do you prefer the 'PULL-OUT's or the DOOR' when loading or unloading?

• Melissa Gandhi
    8 years ago

lovely kitchen! Always admired your pictures! What size are the pulls on cabinets under range top, and the ones under sink? I also have the same Krauss Sink flush mount. How did you seal the space between countertop and sink? Enjoy your beautiful space!

• HU-336400245
    4 years ago

theanimala I love your amazing kitchen. We are trying to decide how long our draw pulls should e and yours look great. Can you tell us the length of the pulls you used and the lengths of the draws/cupboards they open.

many thanks,

katie