Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
98.627% Finished Kitchen - Transitional White Inset w/ glass tile

Posted by theanimala (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 15:00

After reading this site daily for 6 months now and getting tons of great advice it's time for us to post our finished kitchen. In keeping with the style of the house we needed to go more modern than traditional, but we didn't want something too contemporary. Also, we couldn't decide on painted or stained cabinets, so we decided to do both by painting the perimeter while having the island stained.

Although we moved no walls, it ended up being a bigger project then we expected as the old tile floor went through our foyer, powder room and laundry room. Also didn't have correct sub-flooring, and we wanted to move some of the appliances around, etc. The reason the it is only 98.627% completed, is we still have 1.373% left to do, such as glass shelves in glass front doors so in cabinet lighting can shine all the way through, etc.

Details:

Cabinets - Inset Shiloh Homestead painted MB Softwhite, Island Maple stained Espresso
Flooring - Tile Fashion Coffee 12 x 24
Countertops - Ceasarstone Raven, Ceasarstone Misty Carrera - Mitred Edge
Main Sink - Franke 33" SS Apron - FHX710-33S
Main Faucet - Generic Costco Brand
Prep Sink - Elkay - ELU1618
Prep Faucet - Danze Como Pulldown
Refrigerator - JennAir CD FD - JFC2089HES
Ovens - Electrolux - EW30EW65GS
Warming Drawer - Electrolux - EW30WD55GS
Microwave - Electrolux - EL27MO45GS
Cooktop - DCS 36" Drop-in - CTD-365
Hood - Bosch - DKE9365AUC
Beverage Center - GE Monogram - ZDBC240NBS
Dishwasher - Bosch
Backsplash - White Glass subway tile from theglassmosiacoutlet.com
Backsplash - Stainless Steel 1x2 tiles
Pulls - TopKnobs - Princetonian
Paint - BM 1542 Himalayan Trek

Before:

Photobucket

After:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sink Area:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Backsplash:

Photobucket

Island:

Photobucket

Island - Backside:

Photobucket
Pantry Area - Closed:

Photobucket

Pantry - Open:

Photobucket

Lazy Suzan - Corner Pullout:

Photobucket

A big thank you to everyone who gave such great advice over the past few months. If anyone has any questions on what we like /dislike please let us know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 98.627% Finished Kitchen - Transitional White Inset w/ glass

Animalia, I have always loved your kitchen and I am thrilled to view these beautiful photos. You made fantastic choices all around, and have completely transformed your kitchen-- it is truly magazine-worthy. Congratulations on a super-successful project!

o

WOW! What a fantastic transformation! There are so many great details here - I love your uber cool range backsplash, the red accent colour, the pull out pantries, stainless apron front sink, and how fuctional and beautiful the whole space is.

GREAT JOB. You must be thrilled to start the year off with such a spectacular kitchen.

Happy cooking...
Eliz

o

Love the splashes of red, well done.

o

1. Did Shiloh custom paint your cabs or did you paint on site?
2. Can I see a close up of the misty carrera?
3. Do you like the internal hinges? Do you lose a lot of internal space in the cabinets?

We're considering Shiloh because the price can't be beat.

I really like it!

o

Your kitchen is exquisite! Love all the details -- backsplash, cabinet hardware, beautiful cabinetry, glass, etc... Congrats on such a beautiful space and transformation!

o

I love, love, LOVE your kitchen - congratulations :)

Piaa

o

Truly beautiful!! Love, love, love it!!

It is magazine worthy for sure. Love the glass subway backsplash. WOW!

o

I really, really like the colors you chose and the various kinds of balance you achieved, especially the alternating colors between cabinets and surfaces. Very nice!

How are you managing without landing spaces next to your fridge? Do you automatically swivel and put things down on your island? Your kitchen is three times the size mine will be and I'm struggling with a design that will allow next-to-fridge landing spaces since I can't fit in an island into the footprint.

I especially like the way you took the SS tiles all the way up! Even with my tiny kitchen I think I will be able to steal that design element from you. (big smile)

Beautiful space. Just my taste. Mmmmmmm.

rc

o

WOW that is a beautiful transition! I too love the pops of red. The Kitchen is modern yet classical. Definitely magazine worthy! That is in fact what I just said to my husband as I showed him your kitchen - this IS a kitchen you see in magazines.

o

wow, wow, WOW! One of the nicest kitchens I've ever seen!

o

WOW - what an amazing transformation! I love the backsplash behind the range, and the cabinets, and punches of color... Your kitchen table is the same in both photos but I had to check closely because they look totally different in the 2 rooms. You should be so proud of the dramatic change - congrats!

o

What a beautiful job! You must be so pleased. It's always fun to see the whole kitchen when we've seen little bits here and there. What a great start to 2010!! Enjoy.

o

I've commented on earlier postings of your kitchen, but am so happy to see the complete package. What a beautiful, modern kitchen you have created. You have mixed quite a few elements in your kitchen, but they all work together beautifully. You definitely achieved your goal of a modern, transitional kitchen.

BTW....Thanks to you, I did wind up doing all my door pulls horizontally and am very happy that I did. Contractor thought I was nuts, but it has worked out well!

Congratulations on a job well done. Enjoy!!!

o

Your kitchen just makes my heart beat a little bit faster. :- )
Each element is gorgeous unto it's own, but blended they're absolutely perfect.

Love the warmth of the floor and the cool of the backsplash glass and stainless tile.

o

Wow! Love all your choices and that it bridges both modern and traditional taste! Great job!

May I ask about your sink? What is that type of reveal called and why did you select this type over an actual undermount of either a neg or pos reveal? I love the flushness w/ the counter and am curious how you are finding having seams? Please share your thought process!

o

Great kitchen, I really like your backsplash and how you used the two different backsplash tiles together (glass & stainless).

Nice job!

o

Wowza ... hard to believe it's the same place. Beautiful.

o

I love it!

Could you share how having the fridge next to the double wall ovens are going? Does the fridge door hit the oven or cabinet handles?
I'm planning to put my DO next to my fridge and am concerned about door opening (can I open pas 90degrees) and dinging the doors w/ the handles.

thank you,
Amanda

o

Stunning transformation! Love those red accents, too.

What are the dimensions of your island? It looks like it's as deep as mine and that you replaced the bar overhang with cabinets, which is what we're planning to do.

We're also planning to move the cooktop off the island to the perimeter as well, in a configuration similar to what you've done. Is your apron sink in a 36" base? How much counter frontage do you have between sink and cooktop? How much counter is on the other side of the cooktop? TIA!

Is that a hide 'n' seeker in purple pjs at the corner of your pantry wall? Funny!

o

It is PERFECTION! Every bit of it and I hope you don't mind if a few of us end up copying some your good taste....I bought the same sink off eBay and was going to undermount it, but after seeing your sink, am going with the flushmount!

I am also glad to see someone who ended up using the Caesarstone in Misty Carrera. I saw Christopher Peacock use it in his San Francisco showroom for one of the kitchens and was shocked at how good it looked! Yours is proof again how great that material can be.

I really like how the glass tile backsplash turned out, especially with the stainless behind the stove. Just gorgeous!

Is the corner-lazysusan from Rev-a-Shelf? I have been contemplating putting that in and am torn between the one you have and the one my cabinetmaker carries which is just a 3/4 pie round.

You did a fab job!!!

o

Well, you've gotten so many well deserved compliments there's hardly anything left to say. Just repeats - FABULOUS! definitely magazine worthy. Excellent job.
Lisa

o

Gorgeous! The whole running-bond rectangular theme is very well done. The gray floor tiles, the white glass backsplash and the stainless mini tiles behind the range. What a cool look!

o

WOW! I know you've heard that already but your kitchen is amazing. I LOVE the Franke sink... I may have to rethink my thought of getting the silgranit. I think the curve like that would work so well in my proposed kitchen. LOVE the glass subways with the mix of SS mini bricks.

Please tell me more about your floor. Who makes it? Is it a rectified porcelain tile? I absolutely LOVE it!

It's dangerous that my remodel is taking forever. I keep changing my mind on things when I see a spectacular space.

o

That is one drop dead gorgeous kitchen! Love, love, love it.

o

Wow, right up my alley, love it. Truly inspirational kitchen. So many great ideas. We're ordering an SS counter with an integrated apron sink tomorrow - I think I'll get mine curved too, love it.

o

What a fabulous kitchen. Those are the whitest glass tiles I've ever seen, and they look fantastic with the Caesarstone countertops (like seriously fantastic).

o

Looks amazing!!! I love all the details. I can't wait to get my Shiloh cabinets!!!

o

Absolutely beautiful!! My husband was insisting on colored pendants and I was fighting it, until I saw yours...I love the pops of red, and I LOVE your floors. You did an amazing job... ENJOY!

o

One of the nicest kitchens I have ever seen. You did a lovely job. What are the long pulls on the back of the island ? I note that there are no stools >...also the red points of color are simply stunning and eyecatching.c

o

Did you design this yourself? If so, you have quite an eye and feel for a great, cohesive vision! I'm not even sure what to say...Or at least where to start. I'm in love. What a wonderful combination of traditional and contemporary elements, as well as colors and materials. I-LOVE-YOUR-ISLAND...with it's thick white top. Cool, cool, cool. I really like both of your countertop choices. So much more I like here, but can only say it's just beautiful. What a wonderful and amazing change from the 'before!'

o

Oh, wow, this is spectacular! It looks like it belongs in a photo shoot for a magazine.

o

Wow! It came out so well, and you had such a great vision!

Enjoy!

o

YOWZA. You got the pop. Everything I was thinking (magazine cover! red accents! backsplash! same table? no -- yes! corner cabinet! sink!) everyone else commented on. Fabulous!

o

Lovely! I especially like the way the minibricks break up the backsplash behind the range/hood, easing the transition from the white. Very cool.

And I have to say that I'm not a big fan of crown in kitchens, but I love yours. The curves give it an almost coved look, even though most of it is straight, and it makes interesting shapes with the in betweens. Very cool.

o

WOW, wow, WOW! You have one incredibly beautiful kitchen there! The individual elements are each one perfect, and the sum of those parts is simply breath-taking! What a magnificent transformation from your old kitchen, to a room that is so perfect you just want to look at it over and over. I LOVE all of it, the fab floor, perfect hardware, stainless done in perfect balance, ooooh countertops, elegant cabs, and then the perfect RED eye candy. Oh my, be still my heart. Thank you for sharing these pics. I'll watch the kitchen mags for your masterpiece. Congratulations on your extraordinary design and execution success. Hope you have many happy years enjoying it.

o

WOW!!!!! Your kitchen looks amazing. I love your lighting choices, the long horizontal handles, your floor tile, the bookshelf on your island. It all looks great and is a fantastic transformation!

o

Beautiful job!! I love everything about it, but I'm especially curious to learn more about your floor tiles.

o

Wow.
Can you share any info on your chandelier?

o

I just LOVE your unique stainless steel backsplash over the gas range, love your tiles on your floor, love the red coffee maker, love the range hood, and many other details about your beautiful kitchen worthy of a decorating high end magazine. Thanks for sharing.

o

Wow! (yes, another wow!) This is a kitchen that makes me smile, smile, smile! Just amazing! Congrats!

o

HOT!!! love it!

o

Stunning transformatin.
Great talent in your design choices.

o

Everyone, wow, thank you very much for the replies. I wasn't sure what to expect as some of the choices we made aren't the most popular (ie. tile instead of hardwood, etc.)

To answer some questions, the decisions were pretty much my husband's and my own. What's crazy is we spent so much time picking our cabinets that we ordered them without knowing much of anything else we wanted. We pretty much scrambled over the next two months picking out everything else so it would be here in time for construction. I remember when the electrician asked us for our pendants to install and we hadn't even picked them out yet.

grlwprls, the cabinets came prefinished / painted from Shiloh (and they are great cabinets for the price). The internal hinges do take some room, but where they really hurt is on pullouts shelves as the shelves are much smaller than the interior space of the cabinet. The full pullout racks are a bit better in that regard.

rcvt, it has not been a problem not having a landing space right next to the fridge. We just end up using the island which is right behind us.

syllabus, I believe the sink mount is called a flush mount. Our GC thought we were crazy, but we saw a picture on Franke's website showing the sink that way and we really liked it. I don't really see any negatives to it besides it needs an exact fit for install so that is a potential place to mess up. But once it's in it is very easy to clean as it's the exact same level as the rest of the countertop. Running a cloth across it I don't even feel the seems. We did the flush mount because we just loved the look of the sink and thought this way we get to see more of it.

Regarding the tiles, they are a recertified porcelain. Not sure too much about them, I have an extra box in the garage but most of the info is in Italian. We actually posted back in June at this thread for help picking out of several different options: http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg062216151672.html?15

huango, no issues with the ovens next to the fridge. If the oven is open, then the right door of the fridge can only open 90 degrees, which hasn't been a problem for us so far.

I need to look up a few things to answer a few more questions, but thank you very much again for all of the kind words!

o

I LOVE your kitchen. I'm hoping mine will look similar but I have 1 very important question for you:

I see you have the wall ovens and the fridge that I want. Does the fridge door hit the oven handles when the door is open all the way?

o

If you and/or your DH are designers or artists, you've outdone yourselves. If not, you have GREAT potential for a second career, your kitchen looks like it was done by a TKO high-end designer, using high-end material throughout! I love everything about this room.

o

Gorgeous, gorgeous!! Definitely magazine worthy. Congratulations!

o

Love the clean lines...the clean lines in your kichen impart elegance. In my opinion those backsplash tiles, particularly the glass tiles, are quietly gorgeous. What a nice feeling you must have. Congratulations.

o

Lisa_a, double checked, and the apron sink is in a 36" base. We have about 37" from the front of the sink to where the cooktop starts. There is only 21" of CT to the left of the cooktop, but so fat that hasn't been a problem. Also, great eye, I didn't notice one of the little ones had made it into one of the pictures. :)

firsthouse_mp, the corner-lazysusan is not from Rev-a-shelf. That was ordered at first but it was about 1/2" high. We had to order a Knape & Vogt one which ended up fitting perfectly.

trailrunner, the pulls on the back of the island are for very small cabinets. Each double door has a 33" cabinet that is a bit more then 5" deep. We keep all of our plastic wraps, foils, etc in one and all of the kids cups in the other. Great as it's easy for them to reach. The space was just not big enough to have a sit down island. We did with the last island and it just wasn't used so we decided to get some extra storage.

genie73, love both the fridge and the ovens. The doors only hit if we open both the right fridge door and the oven at the same time (fridge is limited to 90 degree's then). Otherwise the fridge can open fully without getting close to the oven handle.

Lastly, catkin, the chandelier was ordered from CB2. Couldn't believe it, only $50, and we really like it. It comes with a plug on the end but we ended up hardwiring it. We need to add a few more links to the chain, part of the remaining 1.373% left to do...

Thanks again...

o

Fantastic! I'd have to say that the stainless steel tiles behind the stove are WOW, and so are your red lights! I'm in love with your choice of tile floor, and I am one who generally doesn't like tile floors. There are so many wonderful things in your kitchen. It comes together beautifully.

o

Quick question: What made you choose soft white over polar white? Our trim will be something like BM simply white. What color is your trim? I can't decide, I want white white but not stark white. Especially since we will have dark brown stained wood floors.

o

Amazing! When I saw your before picture, I thought how are they going to transform this room and not clash with the feel of the original house. This truly brought the style up todate and out of the park!!! Great job.

o

Holy cow, your kitchen is absolutely stunning! It is a real masterpiece! And I love all the pops of red!

*drool*

o

WOW...I agree, a stunning make-over. Looks so well organized and the accent in red is a nice touch. Certainly an inspiration.

o

That is one sexy, sexy kitchen you have there! I love all of your choices...everything just goes so well together. Definitely magazine worthy! I think I felt little palpitations when I scrolled from the before to the after pic!

Enjoy!

o

WOW. You deserve a standing O for this kitchen reno! Congrats on your knockout kitchen!

o

LOVE your kitchen and the red is perfect!!! You really should submit this to a magazine! Beautiful!!!

Kat :)

o

Stunning!!! Amazing! That is one beautiful kitchen. You have an artist's eye!

o

Simply marvelous! Enjoy!

o

Thanks, theanimala! Very helpful.

Those darn sneaky kids! LOL

o

::sigh:: spectacular. simply spectacular.

o

Wow. That is one amazing transformation. Everyone else has said it all, and I absolutely agree w/ them, you and your dh have done an outstanding job. I'm sure you will enjoy many more compliments both here and IRL before this is over--and you truly deserve them!

o

Congratulations on beign 98.627% done! I have been tracking your project and appreciate the insights and feedback! I will look into Cesarstone now I think! (Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge and insights.)

o

I can't believe the transformation!
You've done an amazing job. It turned out beautifully.
Is your backsplash technically called "blanco" or "ice". I'm assuming blanco since you mentioned it is white. I just love it!
Congradulations.

o

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the perfectly judged pops of red. Really, really stunning.

o

One more question. What are the dimensions of your island? Is the footprint the same as when you had island seating? TIA!

btw, every time I read your thread title, I get a giggle. Just how do you know when you hit the 98.672% finished mark?

o

pps7,we chose soft white as we wanted something a bit warm, and just thought that pure white would be too white. Shiloh has Polar white (pure white), then soft white, then it goes to Eggshell. If there was an option in between we probably would have considered it. Regarding our trim, the baseboard and doors and door/window casings are painted BM White Dove. Since you have dark stain floors that might change things.

megpie77, yes the glass tile is "blanco", we didn't even order a sample of ice as it seemed to have some gray in it.

lisa_a, the island dimensions are 31.5" x 85.5". It is slightly longer than our old island, and wide on one end but narrower on the other (old island was shaped like a trapezoid).

Regarding 98.627% complete, I once heard that 78.64% of all statistics are made up, so I figured I might as well do the same ;)

o

Your kitchen is just beautiful, but then you know that already. ;o)

I love the touches of red, and the SS tiles behind your cooktop. The cabinets and pulls are just perfection! I think my favorite part is the bank of cabinets on your fridge/oven wall; I just love all the variation in cabinet types and jogs in depths. It's just so interesting and keeps your eye bouncing around the room to take it all in. VERY nice job!

o

Thanks again, theanimala! We're planning an island a little wider but not as long. How deep are the cabinets on the backside (where the bar overhang was)?

o

Thank you! I love it!

o

Oh beautiful! There must've been something in the air that white kitchens are finishing right in the midst of the holidays!

Everything is stunning. Your cabinets are lovely, as is the floor (what is it? limestone? or porcelain?). I love your drum pendants. And, while I like the stainless steel tiles behind your range, I really really love the white glass tiles. Really lovely.

Plus, I do so like that you've used all pulls and attached 'em all horizontally: on drawers and doors alike. I've done the same thing in my kitchen - similar pulls, too, I think - and really like the look.

Lovely kitchen. Congratulations.

o

Most excellent in all respects of design and execution. Really well balanced and functional. Beautiful to look at--a remarkable improvement over the "before" version.

Strong work!! Enjoy your lovely space. We'll be watching for the magazine spread.

o

Holy cow! I just got back from vacation and thank God it was in time to witness this slam dunk of a kitchen reno! Sincere congratulations on job so very well done.

o

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Your kitchen is in a league of its own.

o

WOW! Stunning transformation! Was immediately struck by the heft of the island counter, the horizontal pulls, the stainless backsplash, and the pops of red.....then I began to look more closely and found so many more details that were absolutely spot on! A+++ on this one.....thanks for sharing it!!

o

Dear theanimala, I've been meaning to write to say: your kitchen is stunning! Based on your renovation I'm thinking of using misty carerra. Give us an update on how much you are loving your beautiful new kitchen. It is an inspiration to us all.

o

Cool, cool cool! I love the backsplsh!

o

WOW!! Absolutely my dream kitchen. I love every detail! Want to plan my mini-remodel? ;)

o

It's Razzle Dazzling !! Everything is RIGHT ! Well done!

o

Wow, absolutely gorgeous!

Do you like your pantry pull outs?

My pantry looks like it will be about the same size as yours and I was going to have pullouts that go the entire length of the 2 doors (so something like 31" rollouts) - 5 of them, one of which would be customized to hold exclusively canned foods.

But you have me wondering if pullouts like yours are better? Are they ridiculously expensive?

o

Wow! Absolutely stunning!

Can we see some close-ups of the Misty Carrera?

o

francoise47, thank you, no lie but we are cooking more than ever in the new kitchen. For some reason I am trying all new recipes that I just never wanted to try before. I know that my old kitchen would have cooked them just fine, but for some reason it is just that more fun then before. DH was against the warming drawer, but we have already used it several times in the past few months. More entertaining then we've done in a long, long time.

needsometips08, we do love our panty pull outs. I saw your post and tried to put some thought into it. A disadvantage to our door pullout setup is there is wasted space, probably around 3 inches, in the space between the two pullouts. One wider pullout would save that space. But I am not sure how you will like grabbing an item from a wide 31" drawer. Maybe it's just because we are used to our smaller pullouts, but we like reaching in from both sides of each pullout to grab what we need. Not sure I would like to grab something in the middle if it was one large pullout. Best thing to do would be see if you can find what you are looking at in a local showroom to see what you think. Regarding price, ours was bundled in with the cabinet pricing so we don't know what it cost, which I'm sure DH glad he doesn't know.

To everyone who asked for more pics of the Misty Carrera, I tried to take a few pics tonight but the low light was not helping. I will try again tomorrow, but honestly Caesarstone probably shows it best at http://www.caesarstoneus.com/gallery/index.cfm?id=1. Regardless I will try again tomorrow with some natural light.

Thanks again everyone...

o

Yes, a great kitchen! Your old kitchen was a great kitchen too. Dated for sure, but in it's day, it was also a stunner.

o

I love your kitchen! Great work. All the touches like the red phone and your light over the table...pendent lights. It's fantastic. Really all tied together and the backspash behind the oven. WOW!

Do your friends just stare? Jaw dropping stare?
Enjoy,
Janice

o

Beautiful kitchen!!
I was wondering what are the measurements of those pull out pantry cabinets. Are they difficult to pull out -do they require much strength or coordination? I'm asking because my DH is handicapped and we're creating a special pantry for him and I'm wondering if this type will work.
thanks for sharing photos of your beautiful kitchen.

o

plumberry, thank you. The pull outs are 15" wide by 18" deep, and they do take a bit of effort to pull out. My 3 year old can pull out the pantries but she has to throw most of her strength into it. They have a soft close feature so I believe that may make it more difficult to open as well.

o

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? Please submit the FKB Checklist to give your permission.
Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

beautifully done. great mix of clean plus glamour. hope we can do so well on ours.

o

Have to say one more time--W_O_W!!!!!
Your kitchen it truly gorgeous, thanks again for sharing!

o

I'm speechless! Its amazing absolutely gorgeous! Could you tell me where you purchased the til? I love it! ... sorry if I missed it in one of your postings.

o

Even though it's already been exclaimed many, many times over, I have to chime in with how beautiful I think your kitchen reno is. YOWZA, YOWZA, SEXY!!! is what popped into my head when I saw your first After photo. The red accents really make your kitchen pop. Congrats on a stupendous reno.

o

Great job!! What an incredible transformation! I really like the choices you made and how personal your kitchen looks!! Really great job!! Congratulations - you should feel so happy - it really is gorgeous!

o

i am not a fan of white kitchens nor modern but your kitchen.. classic sexy... very nice job!! enjoy

o

Oh My GOODNESS!!! I can't believe the transformation-what a beautiful job- I really like the chunky countertop on the island. The clean, yet warm feel of the space. Especially like the red accents. Job well done!

o

Beautiful, I love all of your choices!

o

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Absolutely delicious!!!

o

How did I miss your kitchen?? As everyone has already said - WOW! It's stunning! Congratulations on a job well done!

o

This is a beautiful kitchen! Very well done. I love the mixture of modern and traditional styling that resulted in a very clean and stunning overall aesthetic. I love the soft cool white and grays. I especially love the cabinetry and the fantastic floor tile. Congratulations!

o

Beautiful!

o

I'd love to know more about that beautiful tile and the thread you posted back in June is one of the missing threads. Can you give me any more information about it, the full name of it, where you bought it, etc.? Thanks!

o

farmersdaughter, it's disappointing that the old thread is no longer available. It is fun to go back and see all of the original choices we had, and wonder what it would have come out like if we choose something different.

The tile is a 12 x 24 rectified tile from Cermiche Piemme which we purchased from a local tile store. They are out of Italy, and their website is http://www.ceramichepiemme.it. They also make a decorative border of the tile that we used as a surround in our bathroom. Here's a pic:

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Cermiche Piemme

o

theanimala, thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart. I never cease to be amazed at the helpfulness of the contributors to this site, yourself included!

o

Absolutely stunning kitchen. Love all your choices and how they work together. I went to the site you gave and saw the tile. Could the kitchen tile in Fashion possibly be the Colonial color though? The Coffee color looks more like the color in your bath. If not the Coffee, was your bath floor tile the Fashion in Black? Would love to see the bath photos too. Did you post them on the bathrooms site? You have such a flair for design and I love that small photo you posted of your bathroom floor with the insets.

o

WOW and I LOVE your new kitchen!! It is the inspiration for my future remodel. The red accents and lights really pop with the white cabinets and tile flooring. Would you share where you purchased and the name of your red lights over the island? Thank you and again WOW!

o

Hi - Your kitchen looks great. I was just wondering if you are still happy with your Shiloh cabinets. I am planning a kitchen remodel soon and Shiloh is my current choice. Would love your feedback now that you have lived with them for 6+ months. I am also planning to do another white inset kitchen and am a little worried about how the paint will hold up. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

o

Thank you again, and sorry for the late replies. Janetribefan, the red lights over the island were purchased from archadianlighting.com. Their customer service was great, and when we had to change our order they promptly did it with no problems. In fact, they caught an error we made on our order and called us so it could be corrected. The link to our lights are here:

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/besa-tutu-pendant-1.html

Kayj_2010, regarding the Shiloh cabinets, I will PM you. We have a minor issue that we are working with Shiloh on correcting. Besides that ssue the quality of the cabinets are great.

Thanks again all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant lights

o

Your kitchen is gorgeous and I'm so impressed you designed it yourself. With 4 kids now grown and gone, we've been remodeling the upstairs of our house (bedrooms, baths, former play area) and are now moving to the major areas downstairs: our bedroom/bath and the kitchen. I have a traditional kitchen with white cabinets and the one KD who has been here uses Shiloh cabinets, so I was eager to hear how well you like them. The other option we have is to retrofit our present cabinets to fit the new appliances, etc. I'd love new cabinets, but need to figure costs.

QUESTION: I love the look of inset doors, but everyone is talking frameless these days, it seems. I was also warned about kitchen heat & moisture possibly causing expansion/contraction of doors that would be more unforgiveable with insets. How did you make your decision?

o

Love everything you did.

Question-I have been everywhere locally trying to find a black wall phone. Where on earth did you find your red one-it' so cool!!

o

Fantastic!!!! What a change!!! All of the hard work & millions of decisions finally pays off. Congrats to you. I bet you cook more than ever now, I know I do.

o

Wonderful job! I'm so jealous!

o

gneebee, thank you. We considered just replacing our cabinets but we hated our old tile floor which went under the old cabinets (as well as much of the first floor). We decided to rip it all out vs living with old, cracked tile.

Regarding inset vs framless, we didn't look into frameless. We were originally going to go full overlay, until we found our just before placing our order that Shiloh was offering inset free of charge. We always loved the look of inset so we just jumped at that offer. Since then, I have read several threads at GW, but the consensus seems to be that unless you live in a swamp it shouldn't make any difference. Almost all furniture in your house is inset (check out your dressers), and how often do you run into an issue closing them? We have a whole house humidifier system, and run air conditioning during the summer, so it wasn't a concern.

christ45ny, we bought the red phone from Amazon.com. It's the red Crosley phone, and they make it in black and chrome as well. FYI, here is a picture of the black one, as well as the link to purchase (again, no affiliation to Amazon, although I do wish I was a share owner after how much we have purchased from them).

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Black phone at Amazon

o

I was so thankful that I found this site and your posting prior to making the final decision on our kitchen remodel. We also chose Shiloh Homestead inset, but in polar white. The cabinets just went in on Friday. They are so beautiful. Didn't realize that I could fall in love with white, wooden boxes... but I did. I have a logistical question for you regarding your counterops! Can you recall if your countertops have a 1 inch overhang or a 1 1/2 inch overhang. The granite guy try to tell me that the 1 1/2 was standard, but it seemed like too much. Any opinion? We're doing Absolute Black Granite on the perimeter and Cararra Marble on the island.
Thank you! And thank you for confirming that we made the right decision!

o

I am so glad to see your kitchen pop back up to the first page. I was just looking for it the other day. Gorgeous.

o

What an amazing transformation - it's gorgeous! The time, effort and love you put into the renovation is so evident - thank you for sharing. Wishing you years of enjoyment in your new kitchen!

o

Wow! Just Fabulous! And love the red touches.

o

I apologize if I overlooked the specifications, but I am looking for red pendants just like the ones in your kitchen. Would you share details?

o

nm73, the pendants are made by Besa Lighting, and the model is TuTu. It is 3.5" deep and 11.25" high. We ordered it from Arcadian Lighting, and the direct link to ours is below. We did the flat canopy and upgrade wattage. Customer service was great and we have no complaints with them at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Besa TuTu at Arcadian

o

Still love this kitchen. You did such a great job...because of you we too have a gorgeous flushmount sink. Thank you so much for posting, sharing and providing inspiration!
From Menlo Farmhouse

o

I love the amount of space you had in your original kitchen and was certainly surprised when I saw the "afters". Amazing! Your new kitchen is so beautiful! Love the sink, the island, the pantries and on and on.

o

sorry for bumping an old thread, but are all the countertops 3cm thick ? but you had the island edges doubled to 6cm ?

o

twgg, yes all of the countertops are 3cm thick, even the island. We had a mitred edge put on the island so it is actually 6.5cm thick, but you can see at the sink opening it countertop is really 3cm. We really like it, and considered doing it to the perimeter countertop if we had the money at the time.

o

That is a marvelous transformation!! Love it and love the pops of red. Nice taste !

o

I had to take another look as I still love the Shiloh Inset Cabinets but I am still not sure due to the frame in the middle of my door for three of my cabinets due to the sizes as I am not changing the layout of my kitchen. I love any picture I see that is Shiloh Cabinet and I love the Homestead Inset Shiloh Cabinets in the showroom near me that is in Polar White. But the Soft White looks so nice also. Are you still happy with your cabinets?

o

WOW theanimala!! What a beautiful transformation. It is stunning. I have to keep scrolling back up to look at it over and over, drooling !! I love the pops of red, and your espresso machine is awesome. What I really love is that it is so neutral that you can so many colors to it with your accessories.

I love your gray floors too!! What material is that??? they look so glossy. too die for!!

I am soo thrilled for you. ENJOY.

I

o

I forgot to ask, can you pls include your kitchen dimensions?
how long is your range wall, fridge & oven wall, etc, and the size of your island.

TYIA.

o

I love that older threads can now be bumped up, this kitchen is Gorgeous! Definitely in my top 5 favorite kitchens ever.

o

Really love the splashes of red. I wish I was more of a risk taker when it comes to bright colors like that but I usually take the "well I will never tire of the white or stainless" route. I really love the butter yellow toaster that 2littlfFishes is getting for her kitchen but of course I went ahead and got the stainless version. Good for you for going for it. It really makes the kitchen go from a "nice job" to WOW a real stunner!

o

Fabulous!!! Love everything about it. My favorite detail though has to be that stainless backsplash tile. Stunning. Enjoy :-)

o

Thank you all again for the compliments, it's been a long time and I wanted to reply to a couple of questions. go_figure, the dimensions of the oven/pantry cabinetry is 16 feet. The range cabinetry is 10 feet. The island is slightly over 7' long by 3' wide.

Regarding the red espresso machine, we LOVED that machine and tried to make sure we matched some red items with it. Sadly it died about 18 months ago. We replaced it with a bland silver espresso machine which actually produces much better coffee. We still can't get ourselves to throw away the broken red machine so it sits in our basement knowing it will never get fixed...

Thanks again all, and best wishes on all of your remodels!

o

I absolutely love your remodel! Can I ask approximately how much something like this would cost? If you're not comfortable saying, I totally understand. I'm at the start of remodeling our kitchen and have a very tight budget. I've never remodeled anything so am so surprised at the cost of a lot of the things I'd love to have. Thanks so much, and thank you for posting the photos :)

o

Hey look what I came across.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kitchen-tune-up-santa-barbara?select=yyq8KrbKPW03qSbyQKk2rg#IchsivJv0R7WqtaRWw7tFA

I assume you didn't get your kitchen from Kitchen Tune-Up. Your kitchen is beautiful and people are eager to claim credit for it.

o

Still one of my favorite kitchens too! My inspiration for a modern white shaker kitchen. It's so cool!

May I ask, how is the finish holding up on your white cabs? What size are the glass subway tiles and are they easy care?
Thanks.

o

hi animala, TY so much for replying! I am glad to know you are still on GW !! Your kitchen is absolutely amazing!

I am sorry to hear about your classy red espresso machine going south! Glad you are enjoying your new one.

Best to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here