Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmgard_gw

Anyone have a copper sink from Mr. Direct?

kmgard
10 years ago

I think I might be interested in getting a copper sink if I can find an affordable option. Obviously, I love the look of the high-end brands like Rachiele, but that's just not in our budget. I was settled to go with an undermount stainless or a porcelain apron, but then I found this hammered copper apron sink from Mr. Direct, and the price almost seems too good to be true. The FAQ's tab indicates that there's no lacquer (I'm assuming inside or out), so I understand that it would patina all over. I've read through past posts here regarding copper sinks and Mr. Direct, but I haven't really seen answer to my specific questions:

1) Is it dumb to get a copper sink that doesn't have a factory-finished patina and lacquer on the exterior? Will the natural patina over time look weird/gross on the outside? I understand unfinished copper is desirable on the inside due to the antimicrobial properties, but I'm not sure it's worth "letting go" on the outside.

2) Past posts here have mixed reviews about Mr. Direct (most regarding stainless sinks). Does anyone have experience with their copper sinks? I don't see a source provided so I'm assuming they're imported. (Which is another thing that confuses me - wouldn't they be more expensive if heavy copper has to be transported overseas, or is labor and the metal itself just that much more expensive in the U.S.?)

Thanks!
Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Direct Single Bowl Copper Apron Sink

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Lacquer is never going to last on the exterior of a copper sink, at least one that sees even minimum use. You can spray lacquer on brass chandeliers, but that's about it.

Get used to "refinishing" a copper sink regularly. Enjoy the funk or pick something else.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I ordered a copper flange from them, confirming all details of the piece through email first. Yet, the item I received was not the finish pictured in the ad. I was also told it was solid copper no plating or lacquer. What I received was a plated item in a completely different finish than the ad (looked more like orb), apparently due to stock changes. So I would be wary ordering from them, as nothing added up. That being said, I eventually received a refund with prepaid shipping, so all ended well.

I had also ordered two others online with similar issues with the ads not being correct and/or the items received looking like cheap plated material or lacquered -- even though I contacted the stores before ordering.

It was much easier going through a showroom where samples were available, not glamourized photographs and wasted shipping.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 10:35

• kmgard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Sounds like it's not worth the risk of dealing with them.

• mrdirect
    10 years ago

As a spokesman for MR Direct, I'd like to address the two originally posted questions regarding lacquer coatings and the ability of MR Direct to sell at low prices.

MR Direct does not apply a lacquer coating onto its copper sinks. It's the nature of copper to constantly change its patina because it is a highly reactive metal. This transition of its appearance over time is typically a major attraction for purchasing any copper sink. We believe that the collection of copper sinks offered by MR Direct is a superior representation of the hand-hammered craftsmanship that can be achieved when using 99% pure-mined copper.

With complete authority to manage the operations of its overseas manufacturing facilities, MR Direct boasts unsurpassed quality control. Even though many other familiar names in the sink industry also manufacture overseas, the reason MR Direct is able to sell for less is that, as our name states, we ship direct. No middlemen means no additional markup. It's really that simple.

We encourage you to shop around and compare specs and prices. We are confident that you will find us to be offering an outstanding product at an affordable price.