Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyone_gw

best advice from this forum is...

crazyone
14 years ago

I am just reading thru an old thread from 2 years ago that lists the best advice learned on this forum.. I have found a few good points I may not have known

however in the last 2 years are there new and improved things?

I have read good and bad to the plug mold which is raved about on that thread .. is it still a have to have option?

the tapmaster sounds great for a quick rinse but do you hold it to fill the gi-normous over size single sink that they all loved?

Comments (23)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Tapmaster can be easily locked open and released for filling the gi-normousness.

Plugmold is depending on your purposes. People don't like the dangling cords for things that are always plugged in, like coffee makers. People who hate the look of an outlet in the backsplash love it. Must have? No. But if your building code demands an outlet every four feet, whether or not you think you need it (I mean, most of us try to keep down the electric clutter), it's a great way to keep the design of your kitchen something other than polka dots.

Best advice I got here? One general, one specific. General: Don't make isolated dark corners with no access. Specific: To redo my windows while construction was happening, rather than working within the existing space.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Buy a huge-biggest you can fit-single bowl sink which I did after 42 yrs. of having double bowl sinks. Best advice!! Thanks GW.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Timeless advice...

Plan where your stuff will go back. I hate reading finished kitchen pots..."now that we're done we just have to figure out where to put all the stuff away"...this is NOT part of good planning and without doing it upfront, your kitchen may not work the way you hope.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

This was never specific advice, but what I've concluded after a couple of years on this forum: it's worth your while to get TKO when you're planning, because it is almost impossible to OVERplan or OVERresearch.

You might drive your loved ones and contractors crazy, but if you take the time to plan every little thing before the dust starts to fly, you'll greatly increase your satisfaction at the end of the remodel.

(*this of course justifies my multiple file folders of inspiration ideas, my online files of photos and saved threads, the stacks of glossy appliance manuals I'm accumulating...*)

• andyman
    14 years ago

Totally agree with planning. Some advice I wish I took: replace rollout shelves behind cabinet doors with drawers. Wish I did this for my large pot drawers, it just seems inefficient to open the door, just to pull out the shelf.

I do think I have gotten inconsistent advice about soap dispensers -- I hate mine, and I do have the NeverMT. It just never worked well from day one, I tried everything including watering down the soap. Next time, I'd just pass on this.

-- Andy

• plllog
    14 years ago

Andy, according to Snyder Diamond everyone around here hates their soap dispensers. There's only one that they recommend that has a much bigger hole, so you don't have to water down the soap. I got one for my laundry room but it's put away during the construction. You could call them, and ask if you're interested in trying to save yours. The guys in the parts department, or even in kitchens, will probably all know the one.

• biochem101
    14 years ago

That IS a great list isn't it? I remember reading it myself and thinking DRAWERS, they ALL like DRAWERS. :)

New in the last 2 years? Hmmm....don't know.

As in new kitchen gadgets? Or new design options?

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

best advice I got?

plan everything. Think about what you use everyday and how you use them, and plan your space for that.

Best product info - Ticor sink, Kohler duostrainer and kohler Forte faucet. Love 'em!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Oh, where to start!! My whole kitchen was designed with the great advise and info I got here. All drawers, Ticor sinks, work zones instead of obsessing about a triangle, the great Feather River Pantry doors, REAL hoods as opposed to those pitiful little pretend hoods that sound like airplanes, and probably the most important.....exotic granite.

• amberley
    14 years ago

zeebee- I think that planning is the best general thing I have learned from the forum as well. I joined 2 1/2 years ago, thinking that our remodel was going to happen within 6 months. Although I wouldn't have said it at the time, I am actually glad that happened! Since then, I have gone through countless floorplans and design ideas, and have tweaked my vision into a much more budget friendly and efficient design. I also was able to eliminate some of the things that one tends to get "seduced" by on GW. I spent $$$ on several things where it counted to me (soapstone counters, Perrin and Rowe faucet, etc.) but saved BIG time thanks to alot of planning and time sourcing.

I think that the other great benefit of GW that is invaluable, is product reviews. Being able to actually talk to real people who actually have an item you are looking for is priceless! GW is great as well for finding great prices on things. We are all really good bargain hunters (we should start a service for all the non-GWers out there!).

And lastly, my other favorite thing about you guys is that we are all TKO, so we understand what it is like to sweat the details. And when alot of folks are done (smiles and hugs to you guys) SO many people hang around and give help to those just starting out. I am happy I will be on the other side in a month or two!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Such great advice from everyone!

General: Don't make isolated dark corners with no access. Specific: To redo my windows while construction was happening, rather than working within the existing space.

You know when you get a fortune cookie saying and think, "Wow. This is me! Freaky." That's how I felt reading this. I've been working for months trying to squeeze a great kitchen into an existing space with weird window constraints. Today, I found an amazing deal on a dream range which doesn't fit the existing space. This led to thinking about moving a window (which opens up a dark corner) and a steam radiator. I need to talk to contractors to get estimates about cost, but if it's not crazy, we may do it. Even if I don't get that dream range, (I think) it would end up being a more functional space.

Love the kitchen forum!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Isn't this the greatest group? I was already planning-obsessed, so I can't say I got the idea here. But that two years (Yes!) spent planning my kitchen was NOT wasted.

The best tip I learned here? BIG SINGLE sink. And Silgranit. I love my kitchen sink much more than a normal person should love a sink! ;-)

The best tip I'd like to pass on? INVENTORY your existing kitchen first. Well, organize and toss the unnecessary stuff first. Inventory second. KNOW (don't guess!) how much storage space you NEED (not would love to have) and where that space should be located (by DW, by range, pantry, OK in the attic?) so you don't sacrifice something you'd love to have for something you think you need but really don't.

• crazyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok sweeby why the BIG single sink? inventory is a good idea too

work zones seem like a good idea too, will have to look over plan yet again

• socalusa
    14 years ago

Drawers instead of shelves and a single Silgranite sink.

Best tips - hands down, for me.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

The big single sink makes washing or otherwise working with large pots, pans, baking sheets so much easier, and it lets you stash more dirty dishes without littering your counters. DH wasn't sure about getting a single bowl, but after a lot of planning and discussing he finally told me to get the biggest one I could -- that was the one he wanted. I did, and we love it.

I remember reading a magazine article and how a person had planned exactly where each and every item would go in the new kitchen. I couldn't imagine, and I never went that far, nor would I want to feel stuck with exactly the space for what I have and no room for a new cake pan or to stock up on canned goods, etc. But I did plan my spaces for the most part -- more than I thought I would, and it is time well spent. Otherwise, you're just building and moving into another stock kitchen and hoping you like it.

One thing I haven't seen (probably because people are being nice) is to plan before you start ripping htings out or building. I cannot believe the number of posts I;ve read from people who are half way through the process and trying to decide where things should go. Cabinet installation is not the time to decide your layout. Scratch your head before you pick up the hammers -- it's safer and more effective.

• lynn_r_ct
    14 years ago

Re: the NeverMT - I read someone's suggestion as to how her husband made their own home version, so I took my "plunger thingy" to HD and bought plastic hose to fit (for about $2.00). I then found the biggest plastic bottle I had at home, which happened to be the refill bottle I get for my hand soap. Then I put one end of the hose to the plunger and the other to the bottle - didn't bother with a top since it was way in a back corner of the sink where it wouldn't spill - plunged about 5 times and don't ya' know - magic - soap!!! That was about 5 months ago, haven't had to add any more soap and I have 3 grown kids so we go through a lot of dishes.

• beth4
    14 years ago

Re negative soap dispenser reports: I installed the Moen soap dispenser that matches the Moen Aberdeen faucet almost 5 years ago. I've never had a problem with it, in any way shape or form. There is no way I'd give up that wonderful convenience! Using it is a breeze, and the re-fill is a piece of cake. It is not Never M-T; it's the Moen, so that may be why.

Just another data point.

Best idea from this form 5+ years ago when I was planning for the kitchen remodel: Use only drawers below the counter tops. Absolutely LOVE the convenience of storing and accessing skillets, pots and pans, as well as everything else that goes in so wonderfully. Plus, I really like the look of drawers below the counter top and doors above the counter top. Second best tip: Super Susan in the corner. Absolutely FABULOUS. It holds my 2 large crockpots, the toaster, the coffee maker (I can't stand appliances on the counter top), 2 mixers, mandolin, waffle iron, etc., etc.

Here's a link to my kitchen on Starpoo's famous Kitchen Blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen in the Kitchen Blog

• sweeby
    14 years ago

What Lasca said about the huge single sink -- Stuff can hide out in there until I'm good and ready to deal with it! And the kitchen still looks decent.

And my INVENTORY suggestion was very much what Lasca said about planning. My inventory wasn't a detailed list of items (yuck!), but rather a summary-level list of 'spaces full of stuff'. It only took about an hour to pull together and looked like this:

- 1 30" shelf for dishes used every day (Hutch?)
    - 2 24" shelves for casual dishes used weekly-monthly
    - 1 36" shelf for dishes used 2-6x/year
    - 18" every day glass ware (hutch?)
    - 18" ugly plastic glasses & cups (Hide!)
    - 18 coffee mugs (TOO MANY - cut to 9!)
    - 2 36" pots & pans drawers for frequent-use (by range)
    - 2 24" utensil drawers (by range)
    - 2 30" shelves/drawers - bakeware (infrequent use)
    - 2 24" shelves measuring cups, prep bowls (keep handy)
    - 1 24" shelf cookbooks
    - Knife block - move to drawer?

• annes_arbor
    14 years ago

One big sink (too bad mine couldn't be bigger)
    Drawers for everything
    Super Susan
    Blum drawer guides
    Plugmold
    Peel and Stick Zipper plastic to block off construction dust--saved my sanity during the remodel (see link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: peel and stick zipper

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I learned so much here! Probably the best piece of "advice" that had the greatest impact on the functionality of and happiness with my new kitchen was "your kitchen is too narrow for an island"! CelticMoon said it best back then:
    "What a tough space. What a thread, LOL.

I'm more and more thinking 11' kitchens are the worst."

And based on the many 11' kitchens posted here recently, I have to wholeheartedly agree (even if I hadn't had such a time of it w/my kitchen!)

Other things I learned that had a significant impact: Zones...what they were and how they relate to each other
    Plan your storage! Even b/f you order cabinets! (So you can do some tailoring, if needed)
    Drawers, drawers, and more drawers!
    Window at counter-height instead of raised or not used for counters at all (Fothia's sink/window...she's not in the FKB though)
    Corner pantries & SharB's pantry!
    Filler pullouts to eliminate many wasted filler spaces
    Large double bowl sink with large bowl on one side & small bowl on the other (LOVE my sink!)

And of course...
    Never MT
    Trash foot pedals
    Sink grids
    Ticor sinks
    My beloved Kohler Vinnata faucet
    MW drawer
    Plugmold (I don't keep things plugged in, so it was perfect for the cooktop side of the kitchen)
    Mocketts - saved us from having some ridiculous permanently raised outlets in the middle of our bay window well (that's all our Contractor could think of to do...so I took the electrician aside and he fell right in with me on them!)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest a drinking game based on how often you were dissatisfied with the subs or a contractor. Then, I considered the hangover penalties involved.

So - never lose track of where the wine is and always keep a couple of wine glasses in your temporary kitchen.

:)

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

*Super Susan: holds a lot of my small, everyday appliances close at hand . . . . and it's tough.
    * Blanco Silgranit sink
    * Move the appliances, regardless of the extra cost, to make the (new) Old World hood, not the fridge, the focal point of our newly renovated kitchen
    * plan out my work centers and add cabinetry that would house what I needed in each area.