Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dr_girlfriend

dr.girlfriend's mega before-and-after kitchen thread

dr.girlfriend
9 years ago

You guys were so helpful when I was planning my kitchen reno...now that it's all done I wanted to share as much info as I could. I am 100% happy with how it came out, and wouldn't change a thing, and that's largely because of all the great planning advice I got here.

Here was the floor plan before:

{{gwi:2136770}}

And after:

{{gwi:2136771}}

We knocked down the right side of the wall between the kitchen and dining room, and put in a peninsula with kitchen sink/dishwasher/trash pullout on one side and higher shallow cabinets on the dining room side.

Sorry the "before" pics aren't that good, the kitchen was too small to stand back far enough to take a good picture.

Back wall before:

{{gwi:2136772}}

Back wall after:

{{gwi:2136116}}

Left side before:

{{gwi:2136773}}

Left side after:
{{gwi:2136774}}

Wall between rooms before:

{{gwi:2136775}}

Open space between rooms now:
{{gwi:1467847}}

{{gwi:2136776}}

View from dining room before:
{{gwi:2136777}}

View from dining room after:

{{gwi:2136778}}

I realized I don't have a good pic of the sink side after...this is it before the backsplash went up (the same grey tile as on the other wall):
{{gwi:2136779}}

All cabinets are IKEA Lidingo, standard sizes except for one we cut down to about a 6" depth to set to the right of the fridge -- this was the best idea, it stores so much in such a small sliver of space:

{{gwi:2136780}}

One more overview pic:

{{gwi:2136781}}

The sink is a Blanco Silgranit in the metallic grey -- it's beautiful:

{{gwi:2136782}}

Granite is Blanco Antico, but the lot was much lighter than this stone often is. Flooring is from Lumber Liquidators, an engineered hardwood we have throughout the adjoining room as well.

Fridge: LFX25991ST
Stove: LDE3037ST
Dishwasher:
Sink: Blanco Precis Super Single in Metallic Grey
Faucet: Delta Cassidy One Touch '
Instant hot water: Quick Hot system from Costco
Tile: Mission Stone and Tile, H-Line Glossy 3x6 subway tile in the color Pumice
Lighting: Pendants from LampsPlus Open Box, Moroccan cylinder light from Shades of Light

The whole reno came in around $22k, not counting the floor which we had already purchased. The contractor costs were about $9300, plus the cost of materials (but that included some extra work in the dining room, like installing crown molding there as well).

The paint color is prettier than it photographs...it's a beautiful warm griege (Benjamin Moore Cotswold), with a cream color below the chair rail (Benjamin Moore Etiquette).

Any other questions, feel free to ask. :-)

This post was edited by dr.girlfriend on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 21:28

Comments (33)

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a beautiful transformation!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Great job! I love how the open wall makes the kitchen seem so much bigger. It seemed a difficult space but you really nailed it. Love your color scheme too.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Looks nice, but the stove right up against the wall to the right is a code violation. There should be at least 4" of space between them. The floorplan seems to show that but not the actual picture. At least the surface to the right looks non-combustible.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Wonderful planning. You must be over the moon - I know I would be.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

The 6" deep pantry next to the fridge is awesome! Also love the curved glass cabinet in the dining room. It compliments your kitchen cabinets and just creates such a nice visual. Almost like it's saying "Welcome to my kitchen!"

Like lee676, I'm a bit concerned about the stove by the wall and am glad to see you at least have a fire-retardant side wall. As a rightie, I would have a hard time cooking on that. I do understand that most of us, especially those of us with small spaces, have to do some compromising.

I'm not usually one for grey in kitchens but I really like it in yours. I think it's because of all your choices complementing each other so well.

Enjoy!

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen, but as others have noted, stove should not be against the wall. I do love the stove hood!

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Beautiful colors! And I love the pantry wall...very clever!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Very elegant :)

With the tile and electric range, why is that a code violation?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

You've squeezed every bit of possible function out of such a small space! It's very nice.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Excellent use of a small space! And beautiful too!

• dr.girlfriend
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. The stove was actually the only appliance that didn't get moved. It was against that little bumped-out wall in the original plan, and it remained there -- there was really no other solution. Personally, I spend more time microwaving and washing dishes than standing at the stove, and it actually doesn't bother me at all. At least we have a full stretch of counterspace next to it, whereas before we only had a little 9" strip of counter between stove and sink. I don't know if it gets around the code violation by the wall being bumped out or what, but it passed inspection without a word.

• dr.girlfriend
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, looks like I don't know how to reply to individual posts. I should mention that the corner cabinet is the one thing that isn't from IKEA -- that's from Ballard Designs, the Chilton Corner Cabinet. It was a splurge, but I love it, and despite technically having a "rubbed white" finish it goes great with the bright white Lidingo cabinets. Here's a better pic of it:

{{gwi:2136783}}

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

That is just fantastic! Amazing transformation. It's great to see such a lovely small kitchen.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Your space is so bright and open now! I love your choice of pendants, very beautiful. Congrats on your new kitchen and thanks for sharing it with us all!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

My kitchen is just a tad bigger at 14x10. We will have roughly similar layouts. I'm struggling with my lighting plan and really like how yours looks. Could you tell me what kind of can lights you have? Size? Lumens? Do they give you adequate light coverage for task lighting without any blind spots or shadows? Thanks in advance.

• fldirt
    9 years ago

Very nice & I think you did a wonderful job with the space that you have. So bright & airy…..

• dr.girlfriend
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funkycamper -- there are four dimmable recessed lights in the main part of the kitchen. I think they are the standard smaller size -- 5"? They have 60 watt bulbs in, as do the two pendants and the cylinder light. It's plenty of light. Does that help?

• mgmum
    9 years ago

What a change! It looks fantastic.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

You did a wonderful job! It looks so much bigger and much more functional. I think you made great design choices.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear the stove next to the wall doesn't bother you. As a rightie it would me - I seldom use burners on the left of my stove! While it was a concern, I also knew it'd be very strange to have the stove more to the left with only part of it under the hood...

Love the kitchen and really like your granite as is with grey sink and walls.

The shallow storage to the R of the fridge was great use of that space. The same with the cabinets on the DR side of the sink run - love how you did that!

You did an awesome job - it doesn't look like a tiny crowded kitchen anymore.

Your new cabinet in DR is beautiful. You must feel like you have such an abundance of storage space now. So many drawers and so usable!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Looks so wonderful and especially love the pantry around the fridge. Enjoy!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

It looks so much bigger! Nice job with a small space. I'm sure you are loving the openness and all the awesome storage. Love that sink, and the cut-down cabinet by the fridge-- what an awesome idea.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Yes, it does help. Even though I'm planning on LEDs, I can convert the wattage. Thanks for the lighting information.

Your plan gives good lighting without the ceiling looking like swiss cheese. :) It's quite lovely.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Great job! It's a beautiful space now, and I think the two rooms look great together.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The drywall (or plaster?) person did exemplary work on the ceiling, because you were able to do a high gloss paint without showing up any defects in the surface. IMO the glossy ceiling takes it way beyond what it would have been otherwise.

Casey

• szruns
    9 years ago

Your kitchen came out beautifully! I love it.

Your backsplash tile looks so similar to the one I put in mine. Is it, by any chance, Home Depot's Dove Gray crackle tile? That's what I put in mine. I love it!

• steph2000
    9 years ago

The glossy ceiling really does add something, doesn't it?

This is the kind of remodel I really enjoy - small budget, big bang for the result! I also like how you managed to make white and gray not look so cold as so many - I think that greige color you chose is really working for the space.

And, of course, I am an utter sucker for the tall thin cabinet squeezing out storage in a small kitchen. How is that working out for you?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's a lovely kitchen! I'd have preferred to have the range in the peninsula and the sink under the window, but completely understand working with limited options.

Oh, and I love your corner cabinet splurge! Going to have to go look that up right now. I think I have the perfect spot for one :)

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Wow, no kidding, sombreuil_mongrel, that ceiling is amazing in appearance and in finish detail!

It's amazing how much kitchen you were able to fit into a small space on a small budget, dr.girlfriend. Removing the wall made a huge difference to how large the space feels. I love that corner cab, too. Enjoy!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Love it!!

Granite, sink and backsplash colors are so classy!

Congratulations on a beautiful project!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

Wow! It looks fabulous! Enjoy!

• ghatta
    8 years ago

Do you love your stove? I'm looking at the same one in the new black stainless. I love to bake and do a lot of cooking also. Would like to know if it bakes evenly. Are there any hot spots? Thanks! ;-)

• User
    8 years ago

how come I cannot see any pictures?