Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

White Kitchens = Boring = Old people...

jeri
14 years ago

or so says my husband. :-(

I sigh when I see the beautiful white kitchens with white marble, but my husband says marble is boring and for 90 year old people.

We are planning on medium dark wood floors  Brazilian Cherry, Santos Mahogany and Brazilian Teak are current contenders. And, I donÂt mind mixing it up a bit  such as marble for the counters and butcher block for the island (or vice versa). Or perhaps soapstone for the perimeter counters and Marble for the island?

Please post (pictures or links) to kitchens that you think might just change his mind.

Any other ideas to help are also appreciated!

Fortunately, I have time to work on this - the kitchen remodel is several months away.

Thanks!

Jeri

Comments (58)

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Jeri,
    I agree with Weissman many prefer wood.
    I love white my DH loves wood. In our previous home we
    had contemporary cherry cabs and a very different look
    and now we have traditional white.
    Our next place who knows???

What does your husband like? You could combine your desire
    for marble with chocolate cabinets or dark ebony stained
    cabinets. Does he prefer Cherry, Oak, Walnut???
    Some could say those = Boring = Old.

What does he love? What is his favorite color? What
    does he vision for you?
    Together you will both come up with a dream kitchen as
    sweet as your marriage.
    ~boxerpups

• kittenkat_2002
    14 years ago

Jeri, I'm having a similar problem with DH. I love white cabinets and he prefers cherry. So we are likely going with natural cherry shaker cabinets with soapstone on the perimeter, carrara marble on the island and white subway tile for the backsplash. The floors are oak.

It didn't matter how many lovely white kitchens I showed him but I'm getting the other components I wanted.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

chinchette, I hope I am not being too assumptive, but we do have a contemporary-ish white kitchen with glass backsplash. I personally do not believe a white kitchen with marble is boring and for old people. Some recent posts here have showed quite the opposite. The pictures do not show it well but our island is Caesarstone Misty Carrera and it has a marble look (granted not nearly as beautiful as the real thing.) If we weren't too chicken for the care of it we would have had marble on our island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nearly finished pics of kitchen

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Truth be told, there are some really boring white kitchens and some really boring old people -- and some sensational white kitchens and some fascinating old people. I've also seen some really boring kitchens in every color and the opposite, too.

When someone says boring, I think they mean they have seen it a lot and don't relate to it.

Here's a white kitchen in the definitely not-boring column. Worth a shot to see what he thinks of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not-boring white kitchen

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lukkiirish - *Love* the Brazilian Walnut! Does yours look like the picture? Where did you buy yours?

Thanks to everyone  IÂll go look up all those kitchens you gave me the names for. I am *very* bad about saving the links that I should!

Our last kitchen, DH had his way. I didnÂt really have strong opinions back then as I had only just found this forum. We went with medium brown cabinets and granite tile counters. DH likes granite. I donÂt think he would do the tile again, but he likes granite.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Look at Robinst, Bosche, and ndweb kitchens of Finished Kitchens Blog. My husband and I had the same disagreement. I went with the white and because of my small-sized kitchen, it does look a little old people looking right now. I am hoping that by the time I am done that won't be the case. You really have to think about countertops and backsplashes, and that will determine the look.

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Hey!!!!!!Don't knock old people. My husband and I are old, not tasteless. Old people often have great kitchens because they have $$$$$$, experience, and developed taste. Ah, you babies.

Oh, so explain this. My husband and I went to Ikea yesterday morning. Had a fun date. And the kitchen he fell in love with was the red, high gloss with black granite one. Bright RED. Anything but boring.

And none of my age-wise peers have white kitchens.

White is not boring. Old people are not boring. Old people have kitchens of many colors, white included. People who think in stereotypes, are, well, uhhhh, limiting themselves.

Gloves off!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

LOVE your post, Westsider!!! I've got my gloves off too and I'm swinging along with your thoughts! My only cause for partial disclaimer might be in my reluctance to adopt that "old" person label. :-) I like to think that I'm only "older" or "more mature" than maybe the majority of the posters here. But old? Hell no! LOL!

At any rate, you're so right in noting how having more money, experience and developed tastes can impact the kitchen you create when you are older. In my case, the color scheme of my very first kitchen (at the age of 21) was white, black and red. And guess what? Some 40 years later, the color scheme of my newly remodeled kitchen is white, black and red! But no way is it boring. Not at all. It's just way more costly and more tasteful than my first stab at kitchen design, for sure.

BTW, Theanimala -- every time I see your kitchen I want to jump up and shout! I adore your kitchen! Talk about white, black and red! If I were to start my kitchen reno all over again, there's no doubt yours would be in my inspiration folder. Far from boring, it's a striking beauty. You go!

• megpie77
    14 years ago

White cabinets with marble? You've got to show him dotcomgone's kitchen (link below). I've always wanted marble but hubby said no. I showed my DH this kitchen and he looked at the kitchen longer than I thought he would.

Here is a link that might be useful: dotcomgone kitchen

• ajard
    14 years ago

I dont know if you even need more words .. but my husband is a 41 year old "manhattanite"... we do live in the suburbs with our young kids of NYC... and he very in tune to keeping things hip and youthful in style.. and in no way was white not cool to him. See natashkan's post today of her new beautiful dark wood kitchen that she remodeled to white even thought it was an amazing wood cabinet kitchen just to update it and make it more amazing..we are doing a white kitchen with marble and wood and could not in any way see how it would resemble a kitchen that is of a past generation that is outdated or boring and not hip.

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK  For an experiment, I just showed DH dotcomgone's kitchen  since it seemed to have an effect on Megpie77Âs husband. My husband thinks the stone is boring. I donÂt think it matters about modern  we are not modern people. He just thinks marble is boring.

As for old  he was talking 90. :-)

• ajard
    14 years ago

Another thought.. the Hamptons in NY is known as the east coast home of the rich and famous/celebs. Hampton and Coastal Style kitchens are almost ALWAYS white. Take a look at the sites of 2 Hampton kitchen locations www.smithriverkitchens.com
    www.hamptondesign.com

People who live in these areas spend 5-10 mil per home, they certainly dont select old boring style kitchens...

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

My mom's name is Jeri (!), and though she she will be 70 this year (a very YOUNG 70 I might add!) she and my dad have a white (with black) kitchen. They also had a white (with black) kitchen in their house before moving out-of-state. Their style is contemporary, and no way is their recently "refreshed" kitchen (new cab doors--slab style, and granite counters added) boring or "old" people looking.

I had a white kitchen in my condo (with red, black and grey accents--hi marthavilla!!!), and it was clean-lined and sleek. In no way did that kitchen look boring or scream "old people" either.

While my own personal preference when we reno'd our kitchen ~3 years ago did not include a white kitchen, I've seen and admired, many gorgeous white kitchens right here on our own forum, (and I'd have taken many of them in a heartbeat if they'd been offered!

• sugar_maple_30
    14 years ago

Uh oh!

I was thinking I might get up the
    nerve to post pics of my finished white
    kitchen, but now I'm not so sure!

Oh, what the heck, on second thought I think
    I will post it. I've loved white kitchens for
    over 30 years, and if people pass it by because
    it's "another white kitchen", who cares?

It might be white, I might be old(ish), and
    sometimes I'm very boring (sometimes not!), but
    my mind is wide open and I really love seeing what's
    out there and what everyone else is doing with
    their space.

I'm squarely with you Westsider and Marthavila.
    I think we've got a team!!!

• trish21
    14 years ago

Wow, this post has me laughing with tears from my eyes. Ok, that really strong cosmo my dh gave me isn't helping matters. So i'm feelin' a tad old now. 44, married, 2 kids. But I redid my first home's kitchen in '95 when I was married, childless and a young thing of 30 and guess what...I had white cabinets and super dark green/blackish marble. I think the issue is more taste and certainly age of home. (1921, and 1906 respectively). I look at some black kitchens and think they are just fantastic. And, my kitchen might not look right in a house built in 2000. It's just a matter of personal opinion and jeri I feel for you because you and your dh just have different taste. Making all these decisions is hard enough! (Friends of mine in this situation stained their cabinets green as a compromise.) Here's my two cents- kitchens cost a lot of money. A LOT. Do whatever you think you can do to make that kitchen something YOU love and something that won't feel dated in 10 years.

• User
    14 years ago

Regarding age and marble countertops....I couldn't help but wonder if her DH's feelings about marble were based on the care it requires, as well as the look.

From all I've read and seen, marble is a counter/island surface that requires more TLC than many others. I hear about pitting from lemon juice and vinegar and stains from red wine, grape juice, etc.

I absolutely love it, but question if it's the best choice for a young couple who may have small children or who might feel using coasters or being right on top of spills is for old people.

• User
    14 years ago

Jeri, We got the Bellawood from Lumber Liquidators and it does look EXACTLY like that. We love it and get compliments on it all the time. It's one of the more dense & hard woods, and the planks are that dark color all the way through so scratches don't show the way they do on stained wood. Plus it will always look like that, we'll never need to stain to refinish, just sand and poly.

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

I've got a white kitchen right now and love it - if it wasn't so small. As we are about to renovate, I am looking at cabinets and had assumed I would go with what I love - white. Like your DH, mine said he didn't want white also.

So I've been going nuts for weeks trying to decide what wood stain I could embrace as much as white and have narrowed it down. Meanwhile, he has been looking at pictures of white kitchens and has slowly changed his mind. Now after all this wasted time, I'm not sure about white and he's not sure about stained.

If you are sure you want white - stay the course and wait for him to catch up (you'll at least avoid confusing one of you)!

• sue36
    14 years ago

Jeri,
    Do a little searching online and I am sure you can find articles saying that granite is "out". In fact, you can probably find articles to support any opinion you want!

Maybe a compromise is in order? Cherry cabinets with calacatta oro marble? Or white cabinets with granite?

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Marble is BORING????

let's approach this from the other side - what does he consider exciting and un-boring?

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I love a white kitchen...you can incorporate any "old" or "new" by the style of the cabinets and appliances. There is no need to worry about wood grain competing with an active counter top material. Glass front cabinets can add another dimension for color and decor. Partner up and if you really want white cabinets, stick to your guns and let him choose the flooring & counter tops. Don't make the big leap until you are both in agreement and happy. Lots of good links so he can see pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Kitchens

• annes_arbor
    14 years ago

What about showing DH the modern pearl white kitchen in (I believe) NYC? There is nothing old or boring about that one!

Here is a link that might be useful: modern pearl white kitchen

• chinchette
    14 years ago

Oh! I love that kitchen- modern pearl. The barstools are fantastic. Theanimala, yes, it was your kitchen I was thinking of. Another great one.

Well, I guess boring and exciting is in the eye of the beholder. I love hydrangeas and DH thinks they are grandma plants. Face it. We've got DH's with strong opinions. That can be bad, but that can be good.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Westsider & Marthavila, I'm with you as one of 'mature' bunch on this forum & my newish kitchen is primarily black. My kitchens were mainly white when I was young but I can assure you that none - then or now - were boring!

• stiles
    14 years ago

I always enjoy "dragging" out this pic of our remodel-have fun choosing!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Let me see which kitchen lifestyle would I prefer???

To be a vibrant, invigorating 80 year old using my
    beautiful elegant white cabinets, enjoy my gorgoeus
    thick marble counters with their flashy prestine marble
    backsplash, gazing out my gorgeous windows into the
    green life about, while sipping my cafe latte standing on
    my deep rich ebony floors.....

This is a hard choice. To be Boring, White kitchen
    dweller and Old.

Let me think about this...

Maybe Marble is

too old

looking,

Boring maybe,

Gosh, I don't want to be old fashioned.

I don't want the kitchen to look old, 80 year old
    style of living...We all age but my house should be
    young, carefree, youthful, innovative,

Maybe I would prefer

bright flashy counters,

Contemporary cabinets, modern appliances, NO Marble.
    No white, Something in a muted green taupe.

Fresh,

Up to

date,

modern but
    not modern

in the sense of art.

Modern meaning new, exotic, different, youthful,

Present,

Progressive,

All those things not BORING.

exhilarating awe-inspiring revitalizing energizing

Something non grandma ish.

A kitchen that would represent Excitement, Youth and color!!!!

Maybe this kitchen ....

Wow it is a tough choice? Orange Formica with Alice to
    cook for me. OR.... The Marble, White, OLD kitchen.

Jeri,

Sorry I had to post again this is such a fun topic.
    And sometimes I just act so silly. Forgive me.
    ~boxerpups

Ps. That kitchen above is not mine it is from
    Pompeii Design Group in Boston

And for those to young to know who Alice is, That is NOT
    me. I might be old but my hair is updated.

• seliles
    14 years ago

Stiles,

I love how you did your backsplash. Could you tell me the names of the Pratt and Larsen tiles you used? I can't tell if the bottom one is grey or smokey blue. It all combines beautifully to add some pop and warmth to the white field tiles.

Thanks!

• tanders
    14 years ago

Stiles, really, your kitchen is drop-dead gorgeous. Boring white kitchen? HA! Do you have more pics of your kitchen posted somewhere that we could all drool over?

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Boxerpups--I had a feeling where you were going with that post, but still had to LOL when I scrolled down! Loved it!

• kompy
    14 years ago

Your husband might be more perceptive than you think! I have found that when speaking to women older than 70 about their cabinet selection (I am a KD), so far, just about every one of them wrinkled their noses at the mention of doing white cabinets. I remember one lady said, "Oh, never! That's what my grandmother had. I think white is SO old fashioned...I want a nice wood kitchen!"

And yet, people 40-50 WANT that nostalgia....which is why I think the white kitchens with marble and subway tile has taken off in the last 8 years or so. With lives so hectic nowadays, we want a piece of the past....when times were simpler!

KOMPY

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I just spent an hour looking at the hampton's web site that ajard posted the link to above. (www.hamptondesign.com) and I ooohed and aaahed my way through all of their beautiful kitchens...white and more white. To me they read elegant, serene, spacious, clean, and more. And calacutta marble, sometimes I see a picture of it (not even in person) and I can hardly find the words for the beauty. Imagine if I was touching it! I can only hope to have a kitchen with it one day.

As for your DH jeri, keep looking around with him. It seems with more time and searching, what one likes can change some, become more clear, and finally compromises can be reached. Try to find something you LOVE and something he LOVES.

I love white, marble, and if it is mixed with a beautiful wood, crystal lighting, and something blue.... it is a dream...

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, what a hoot! Touchdown! Game! You made the point. Thanks.

Kompy, I think the white kitchen and subways are a successful attempt to resurrect a kitchen which can be described as classic, elegant, traditional and up-to-date(where are the butlers?).

Even still, my tastes are modern, slab door, Gizmonike, cat mom, evergreen dan, bauhaus-which I think of as elegant too.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Westsider....agreed! My dream kitchen is white inset! Maybe the next house!

• clg7067
    14 years ago

I'll read this later, but I've noticed that men want natural wood. For them, it seems that painting over wood is some kind of a sin.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Ok, so after asking if it was "alright" to post a link to your blog "if" it was relevant to a discussion I've decided to post a link to my blog.

The link features a fellow GW'er's kitchen, you may remember Traci29 and her fabulous new kitchen!!!Anyway, I think it's beautiful, and anything but boring!

I also have my "own" white kitchen on my blog, but my guess is that even though I think I'm young at age 46, your husband would think it was both old and boring. I'm ok with that, I still love it and that's really all that matters.

Maybe your husband is doing what my parents did when I wanted a horse at the age of 11. They pretended to be all excited and drove me around to look at LOTS of horses, only to find something "wrong" with each and every one of them. They were too tall, too fat, sway back, whatever...until I outgrew my "horsey" phase. ;-)

Kat :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog featuring Traci29's fab kitchen!

• jeri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marble is BORING????

I know  right? He sees boring; I sigh. I really do! I donÂt do that with any of the other beautiful kitchens that any woman would be lucky to have.

Lukkiirish  Did you go with Engineered or solid? Did you float or glue or staple?

Stiles! That kitchen is fantastic! I canÂt wait to show my husband. Actually, yours looks a lot like our layout and I *love* all your trim work too. Yep! If he doesnÂt like this one, then I donÂt have a prayer. I think this one will be my inspiration photo! Thanks!

LOL Boxerpups! :-D And Thanks for the pic of the white kitchen. Another I will be showing DH! How could anyone call this boring??? IÂll let you all know what he says.

Fleur222 Â Are you a writer? You expressed my feelings better than I ever could.

Thanks everyone! I have my work cut out for me following up on all of these links and keeping good notes so that I can show my DH. He doesnÂt seem to mind white cabs, just the marble  and to him, white on white is just too much. WeÂll see what happens as I show him all of these gorgeous kitchens.

Thanks!

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Ouch. I forgot to mention I'm no spring chicken. Up there too. I love white kitchens.

• dcfixerupper
    14 years ago

This is the thread I use often for inspiration - should help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Post: Please, please post your kitchen pics of white cabinets!

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Perhaps its time for a new HUSBAND, as well as a new kitchen!

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Christopher Peacock has one of the most copied kitchens in America. They are usually white with marble or white with soapstone. Have a look below at these kitchens - All are white, none are boring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Peacock Kitchens

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Check this out!!! Definitely not boring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgeous White Kitchen

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I think it's nice when a dh shows some interest, and I think there are often ways to meet both needs. Bmorepanic's Rustic-Whimsy kitchen comes to mind, in which she is trying to incorporate her favorite style in combination with her dh's 'Ralph Lauren Rustic.' What fun to create a space in which both people see exactly what they wanted!

My dh is one of the ones who loves wood and prefers not to paint it, but he didn't mind that I incorporated painted cabinets in the kitchen along with our natural fir ones. I found myself drawn to the feel of white kitchens, but knew white wasn't right for me, so looked for other elements that made those kitchens feel like what I was wanting...The use of butcherblock, some unfitted things, some stainless, etc.

You said that he likes granite...How about one of the light granites that might resemble marble enough for you but still be granite to him? How about a combination of white and some of whatever he likes, whether it be painted color or wood cabinets? Could you compromise and have the white-kitchen look, but in a color, so it's the style you like, but so he won't see 'boring, old-people white?' Will light gray, butterscotch, or even a good cream color be enough different to make him feel better?

All that said, will he really care after its in, or never really think twice about it, while you'll notice and appreciate or hate it every day? Or is he someone who will really take ownership of the kitchen with you, and really will care after it's all said and done? I think that should be taken into consideration when deciding whose preference carries the most weight.

Anyway, I wanted to give some other suggestions to consider, in case the photos of white kitchens don't lead where you hope.

Best wishes!

• stiles
    14 years ago

Glad to inspire you Jeri! It has been two years since our remodel and I still get happy when I walk into my kitchen. =)

Boxerpups-LOL!-we love the Brady Bunch-we are bringing up our own kids on it through tivo! I would like to transplant Alice into my own space.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I just wanted to share this kitchen that was sent to me by a Willow Decor reader. Her husband previously worked for Christopher Peacock. When the relocated he became a builder and built a home in Utah. The kitchen has a Peacock feel but has a bit more zip. I love the center island front facing detail -something I have never seen before.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Kitchen like C.Peacock

• stiles
    14 years ago

Very pretty detailing in the island front-thanks for sharing willowdecor.

• kompy
    9 years ago

LOL, I ran across this thread today.....It's been 5 years since it was posted...I don't think white kitchens are going away anytime soon. It's 2015...I'm a kitchen designer and I would guess that 75% of the kitchens I am doing right now are WHITE or Off White!

I made a comment on this post back on 1/25/10....and here it is 5 years later. I did buy a new house later than year and I re-did my kitchen in white. I have no regrets....it fits my 1925 home and I love it every time I walk in to it.

Jeri, if you're still out there....did you get your white kitchen?

• practigal
    9 years ago

How very young and the OP must have been. Getting older is a privilege. It sure beats the alternative.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I can totally commiserate with you! DH not having a white kitchen...DH not having butcher block counters either ...said like his grandmother's house!!
    ..even though the butcher block of today is not the butcher block of years ago!!