Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Creative upper corner cupboard storage ideas

raehelen
11 years ago

Did a search, and nothing relevant came up, though did get distracted by many interesting posts...

We have a large upper 24" X 24" corner cupboard. I feel I could utilize the space more efficiently that I am. Hubby built a Super Susan for the 36" base corner, and says he can build some for the uppers...(but we have many many projects on the go)...so in the meantime...

I store my spices, teas, and spare vases in there. Presently, I am using small plastic turntables on the lower shelf, but am wondering what creative people use for the upper shelves? I have two more shelves, with the top one needing a stool to access...

Here's an old photo showing the shape, 24" X 24"

Thanks for any help and pics would be great if possible...

Comments (7)

• Linda
    11 years ago

My daughter took the door off of hers, and put a large decorative container or basket on each shelf. Then she could just lift the container off the higher shelves and bring it down to get out the items. Wouldn't work for vases, but I believe she stored smaller snack items in there. Sorry I don't have a picture, but it looked very nice and worked well.

• deardre
    11 years ago

I just recently read a post on here about retrofitting corner cabinets with lazy susans.
    I've just ordered some d shaped trays for mine and will be using the post as a tutorial.
    We briefly thought about making them ourselves, but after factoring time and all the labor to make them look professional, we chose to purchase them for about $40 a tray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retrofit Susan

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Deardre,
    I am SO pleased that my post was useful to you. I have wondered if posting it was just an ego-trip, or might be useful to others. I hope you will let us know how your project turns out.

Raehelen,
    The link deardre posted is to my retrofit. FYI: my upper cabs are 15'' deep, and the door angles so that 24'' D-shaped shelves worked for me.

You will need to measure carefully to decide what is your best fit. Also, I urge you to consider the vertical space between shelves. So often a LOT of space is wasted when an additional shelf would be much more efficient. And with the susans, you don't need to be able to reach INTO the space--you just pluck items from the front!!

You might have to store seldom used stuff on the top two shelves and use a stool to access them, but that is found space, and I can reach every inch of the bottom two shelves from the floor. I sure could not do that pre-susans.

If I can be of any use to you, let me know.

Sandra

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 22:17

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I love that retrofit - I hope to do that someday - but for now, I used Copco turntables in the top. I agree on the shelves - GC wanted to use only 3 shelves and I used all 4.
    I also hid some extra thermos mugs in the corners...
    Photobucket made some changes - hope this works!

Darn - I keep meaning to take a new picture without the little plastic item sticking up!

• raehelen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ladies,

I agree a proper-sized lazy susan is the best way to go, but am looking for temporary solutions in the meantime.

Am thinking I will try clear shoeboxes for now to try and avoid the endless searching in far corners for bags of spices...

Part of the solution may be to de-junk/ I mean de-clutter those shelves first! (a2gemini you have extremely neat cupboards!)

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    11 years ago

If you have access to an Ikea near you, they offer clear plastic bins, about the same size as shoeboxes. I use these to store stuff in both my corner cabinet, and on the highest shelves of other wall cabinets. Makes it much easier to keep track of things when you can see them, yet easy to pull the container down when needed.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Just use those Glad containers in the meanwhile. Why pay a fortune for temporary?

I am going to have a closet with corner shelves. Remind me never, ever to make a square room again. Anyway, I think it's Bee who has the fabulous Susans in the corner of her corner shelves. I want to do that and was thinking of D Susans.

I'm going to check out the links. Thanks for great ideas!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH