Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulpo_gw

Help with galley kitchen layout

pulpo
11 years ago

I am in the process of building a 1,200 square-foot loft space that already been framed. The original plan was for a wetbar with a microwave but that has been abandoned in order to make the space a fully-functioning dwelling -- as it has been permitted for -- with a legitimate kitchen. This space can be rented where the original space was more of a game-room and huge office.

The space has a sloping ceiling from about 7-feet high at the low end to 12-feet tall on the other. There are exposed beams running that span that are spaced approximately every 5.5 feet that come down another foot from those aforementioned heights.

The living space that includes the kitchen needs to also contain a TV/sofa location and a dining area. The architect likes the TV centered on the west/right wall, between the 2nd & 3rd beam. All of the windows are about 21-inches off the floor, making putting any furniture against the wall difficult.

The current design shows a galley-type kitchen and a small restaurant corner-booth. Please let me know if you see a better layout that does not involve moving walls.

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• pulpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should add that upper cabinets will likely not be necessary in this design. The unit will be rented furnished on a short-term basis and all of the cooking utensils will be stored under the counters or in the pantry. Furthermore, there is only one bedroom and the number of people occupying the space will usually be two or one.

• pulpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone? I'm sure it is far from perfect... ;)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

can't you cut through the wall on the right side passage to bedroom and make a half bath where pantry is? You could still have a small pantry from kitchen side with left over space. I'd nix the "booth" and do an L shape kitchen over in that corner. Install a long table for seating where the island is. Get the sink/fridge and range on the L wall. People bring their friends/associates and entertain in lofts-thus the half bath in that hallway area would be wise. The longer freestanding table out in the foreground seems better than the "cozy" nature of a corner diner banquette for a loft. Compacting the kitchen appliances and counter runs over in an L and less emphasis on huge "pantry" storage seems better. If you can't /don't want the half bath then divide the pantry up into a closet for coat/hooks and smaller pantry then. In big square rooms,furniture is nice when arranged on the diagonal,but is furniture placement happening by you for renters? wouldn't they have their own pieces of furniture anyway?

• pulpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply!

The space will be rented furnished, either to tourists by the weekend or month-to-month as corporate lodging. When not being rented, the space will function as a guest-suite for friends and family.

I have included the entire plan to give you a better look at the entire space. Everything is framed and there is substantial plumbing and electrical run as well.

The area I think you are asking about is the utility closet that houses the washer/dryer, HVAC system, and the tankless water-heater.

The old kitchenette was to go in the central space that now looks like an open bracket. I'm not sure if I should keep it a large wetbar or possibly make it a shallow computer work-station with a monitor mounted on the wall. If it is possible to do a small version of both, that would be great as well, especially considering that there is existing rough plumbing for a sink in the corner near the bedroom. Any suggestions you have for that area are greatly appreciated.

Does the L still make the most sense to you when accounting for the fact that the ceiling is only 7-foot along that low (west/top) wall?

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

the computer workstation/old kitchenette spot is where I envisioned a half bath-it would be something like a hallway entrance from the side...maybe stick a coat or storage closet there also...use a bit of that side of pantry and the fridge location to create something along there. I don't think you need a computer workstation...I don't think you need a wet bar...I don't really think you need an island/ the L kitchen I'm still favoring and use the forward space where you have the sink in island for a table-long or round. the pantry is way too big. People come up-ready to sit and relax,maybe have carry out food or doggie bag-get wine from fridge,or use microwave...want to sit centrally at a table put their computer down/grab the phone/turn on TV-they aren't particularly interested in standing at sink doing dishes or prep and "facepeople" They want to sit withfriends/spouse/colleague...TV/general conversataion/laptop in front/phone handy/play cards/etc.That's why I don't like the banquette off to the side...

• pulpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again for your thoughts on my design.

Is this L-kitchen example close to what you are envisioning? I have moved the TV to the opposite wall, freeing up space for the dining table. The only concern I have is the 7' ceiling above the range and microwave vent. Does that bother you?

At this time, I am looking for solutions that keep the existing framing, thus the conversion of the old kitchenette area into a reading nook.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

reading nook in the passage? well,whatever-you could convert it to storage later if you want. We have a rental and there is one closet that is locked for owner access only-critical.supplies and extras are kept there/etc. If you have family using this space in between corporate rental,or situations in the future that you are just not sure how they will evolve,think about secure storage. Do you really need a 36 in fridge for a rental? I'd get the standard 18 cfoot at most. You could reverse the couch so the walk in the door and to the left to bedroom suite is thru a zone with back of couch along there and people seated face the better placed table and sufficient kitchen. Don't think you need the full 2 c ft microwave over the range. A decent countertop unit will work also in a rental....let an electrician provide you with any problems about venting a hood. I can't imagine- a good hood will be a good investment[doesn't have to be the top o the line] and they have lites for the evening to help out illumination. don't get too large of a sink...is there nothing else to use the pantry space for...[it's so excessively large]...maybe a locked section in there/or partition a closet somehow for broom/mop/vacuum cleaner/etc-or are you using help?

• Artichokey
    11 years ago

Could the new reading nook be partly a coat/linen closet, and also have a cabinet with a prep-type sink? When hosting people, either they all have to traipse through the bedroom to wash their hands before eating or they have to intrude into the workspace just as the meal is being finished.

I think an OTR microwave would be fine. In my current city, even upscale rental properties have OTR microwaves. Especially if you're looking at corporate housing, I suspect the microwave would see a lot of use and the vent hood not very much.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

We have a loft for a similar purpose.

I do like the L-shaped plan. Squeezing a half bath by the reading nook/pantry would be a big plus and would help on resale later (unless later is going back to commercial space). I second the motion on lockable storage for personal items.

The L provides storage next to the dishwasher for cutlery. I assume you'll go for open shelving. If not, the next most used items will be the coffee maker, the toaster, a set of dishes, coffee mugs, and wine glasses. The downside to open shelving is that the contents tend to collect dust easier than an enclosed cabinet. The sames goes for an open pantry shelf.

It's not clear from the description if you have vent access through the roof or must go through an exterior wall. The ventilation can be problematic, even in a short term use property. That take-out Thai can stink up the whole loft.

Our property has only 7 foot ceilings in certain areas, and is not a problem due to sufficient light and 15 foot ceilings in the remaining area.