Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinag_gw

9' ceilings and cabinets

dinag
16 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has 9' ceilings in their kitchen and cabinets that go all the way up to the ceiling. Does anyone have pics? I have looked on the finished kitchens blog but am having a hard time finding 9' ceilings.

Please help!

Dina

Comments (13)

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Dina,

I know there are LOTS of GW's with 9 foot ceilings and cabinets to the top. Many add a short display cabinet with glass fronts and lighting.

My Mom (who is almost a fanatical neat freak) has 9 foot ceilings and left her cabinets open at the top to display the odd thing (it's NOT full of clutter). She had an outlet put up there (she's smarter than I thought :>), and at Christmas time puts up lights. (I guess really you could do it at any time, if clear, cuz crown molding would hide the actual apparatus).

Anyhow, she placed paper towels on top so she could just replace them if it got dusty/gunky, but really because they are so high, not much accumulates- different than for those of us with regular 8 footers I guess.

Aren't you lucky? If we ever BUILD a home from scratch again, I would definitely put in 9' ceilings- sure makes a difference!

• armomto3boys
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in this, too. We're also building 9' ceilings.

• athomedad
    16 years ago

The ceiling in our kitchen is 8 ft. 10 in., and I intended to run the cabinets right up to the ceiling with just a 2 or 3 inch molding at the top. As it turned out, we had to make room (6 inches)on the top of the cabinets to run the exhaust for the range hood to the outside. We ended up with three inches of "library" molding, and then four inches of crown molding to the ceiling. I really didn't want that much molding, but I'm very pleased with the way it looks. There are many different styles of molding you can use-combined in many different ways.

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pic's

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of my kitchen, with 9' celings and cabinets to the ceiling. I wanted a stack of two cabinets with a smaller cabinet on top of a larger one, but my custom cabinet maker said this look would be cleaner. I now believe him.

I also had a built-in hutch/pantry built. Because it is stained and not painted, the cabinet maker did not take it all the way to the ceiling (to avoid having stained and painted crown moldings meeting).

Here are pics of the cabinets to the ceiling and the lower hutch:

Sorry, not a good picture of the top of the hutch

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

I have 9 foot ceilings in my kitchen with cabinets going all the way up to the ceiling. I love them and they make my kitchen look spacious. I used to have shorter cabinets and a soffit and it made my kitchen squatty.

• dinag
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone....

This gives me a good idea of what it would look like.

However, my cabinets are a dark chocolate color...do you think that would make my kitchen look even smaller and close in?

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

Go with the cabinet color you will like living with. You might want to tailor your lighting choices to provide enough light. With today's lighting choices, there is no need to give up dark colors.

This is my opinion only but I would always chose darker colors over light. I have a "thing" about whites, pastels, etc. even in small rooms. Dark colors exude warmth, coziness, and mystery.

• dinag
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, green-zeus. That is what i wanted to hear.

Okay -- another question...the cabinets that go up to the ceiling, are they large or is the molding larger?

• dinag
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can you guys tell me what size your cabinets are? And what is the size of the molding?

• donnay
    16 years ago

I have 9' ceilings and encountering similar design questions.

My cabinet maker has proposed making a single 54" stack. This 54" will then be broken into 2 sections (2 sets of doors). The bottom set will be 39" and the top half will be 15". The top set of doors will have a glass panel in the door frame.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

We have 9' ceilings and I have no pictures to share because at present I have no kitchen. However, our cabinets will extend all the way to the ceiling, similar to soonermagic's (although not inset -- ours will be overlay). I wanted a single door (as opposed to it being broken in half with two smaller cabinets or glass doors up top) because for our space, I felt it would look less fussy / busy.

Our crown will meet the top of the cabinet.

• dinag
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rmkitchen,

Do you know the size of the cabinets?

• dinag
    Original Author
    16 years ago

topping -- please help.