Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

Lighting questions

ranger481vs
12 years ago

I am planning to change to 6" can lighting in our kitchen (8ft ceiling) with 2-3 pendant lights that will hang above our island. If you look at my enclosed drawing, I have a proposed placement for 7 cans that are about 4ft apart around the kitchen perimeter. Here a a few questions I'm hoping I could get advice on here.

1. Relative to my cabinetry and appliances, does this look like a good layout & quantity for the can lights?

2. How far away from the cabinets/counters should the lights be placed to minimize shadows?

3. I'm not really sure what my best options are for the type of can light. I'd like a warm, pleasing light, rather than the more harsh, cool color lights. Does the baffle color affect the light performance? These light will be IC rated since will be in contact with insulation.

Thanks for any help.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• janealexa
    12 years ago

We have a similar layout so I think the layout looks good. I'm sorry I don't know enough to answer your questions in detail. But just wanted to say a can above the sink is always good if you can do it.

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Are you going to have undercabinet lighting? My first thought with these can placements is that you're going to cast shadows on all your work surfaces. Undercab lighting will help with that.

My other thought is that the lights look like they are spaced to match the graph paper, not the kitchen. Even though they are centered and evenly spaced relative to the ceiling, they probably won't look centered or evenly spaced when you're actually in the room, because they're off center to all the focal points (range, sink, fridge).

So why not light your activity areas? That is, put a light right above the sink close to the wall, make sure you have good lighting from your range hood (and get rid of that light that's off-center in front of the range because you will never use it, it'll make you cast shadows on the range). And plan the lighting in front of the pantries in such a way that a person standing in front of the pantry looking for stuff will not be casting a shadow where he or she is looking.

• sosouper
    12 years ago

I thought this was a great article about lighting. The main point I will make is similar to what ideagirl2 said, put the lights where you need them, not where they are neatly lined up on a ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great lighting tips

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Great article!
    I agree - the cans look like they match the grid vs function.
    I would put the cans over the countertop, under cabinet LED, and then will be watching for suggestions for the middle area!
    Good luck!

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Definitely gives me some good things to think about. To answer a couple questions, I already have a can light directly above the sink, and I do eventually plan to have undercab lighting.

I updated my drawing with revised positions, but I have a couple of concerns still.

1. Still confused on how close the lights should be to the upper cabinetry. I've read they should be place above the edge of the counter, but also have read that may cast too much light on the cabinet doors. What to do??
    2. Cans 4&5 and 6&7 are only 3ft apart. Is that too close for 6" cans?

{{!gwi}}

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My thread got buried down to page 4, so I just wanted to bump this to the top to see if anyone could give thoughts on my last post above this one. Thanks much!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I've wondered that too ranger481vs. Currently my lighting is in the center of the room and I block the light when I am working at the stove or counter. I was thinking of having dh stand over me with a flashlight or trouble light as I stand in my usual places, and have him move the light until it is in the right spot. There's got to be an easier way though.

The article was good and I learned some things. I don't know why a light over the fridge would be so important though. With a light in the fridge, I've never had any problem, and like I said, I block most light wherever I am facing anything on the perimeter.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Much improved! Just be sure they are far enough over the counters.
    I will be posting lighting soon!

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. If I put the lights right above the edge of the counter, they will be 12" away from the upper cabinets.

I wonder if this layout is enough to light the whole kitchen decently even when I have the pendants off. I was planning on using 6" floods around the perimeter.

• sosouper
    12 years ago

The other thing I will mention is my GC drew the outline of my upper cabinets on the ceiling and then we decided on the light placement. I think it really helped me get a feel for where the everything would be.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I struggled with my can and fixture placement also. Eventually, after reading a lot and consulting with two different lighting consultants twice, I'm pretty happy with my placement.

Thoughts:

--cans should be centered on the edge of the counter.
    --set number 5 and 6 equidistant from the center of the sink. Ditto with 3 and 4 and the range.
    --I have a couple of spots where the cans ended up fairly close, but it works in the room and provides plenty of light. No worries.

Completely off-topic...if you don't have your cabs in yet, I would strongly consider rethinking your fridge placement. As is, you've got the dreaded barrier island between the only sink and the fridge. Just a thought. :)

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

They should be approximately 12" from the upper wall cabinets and be on a dimmer. You need undercabinet lighting (on a dimmer) as well or else your work surface will be in the shadows. Recessed lighting can work as general lighting in a room, or as accent lighting, such as washing down a cabinet front to highlight it. It's NOT task lighting. Under cabinet lighting is task lighting. Your island pendants are task lighting, shining directly onto your work surface. They should be on dimmers as well.

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for the replies again. These answers have been so helpful, especially yours breezygirl, since they are really specific to my situation.

Greendesigns, I see you added a can light in front of the fridge, and I've seen this elsewhere too, but I don't fully understand the need since the fridge is lit from within. I have have two lights on either side of the fridge, would they provide enough light for that area? Just curious.

The last thing I'm trying to decide is whether this general lighting will feel "visually" okay when the island pendants are not on. I worry that the center of the kitchen might feel too dark in this situation. However, I expect the pendant lights to be on anytime we are spending a decent amount of time in the space prepping food and such, so maybe this is not an issue.

Undercab lights will be next on the list for sure.