Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

Please help me pick a vent hood color!

erikanh
15 years ago

I'm at decision-making overload. I'm ready to start flipping coins or throwing darts or something so that I won't have to make any more decisions.

Please help me choose a color for my vent hood ...

I'm getting a Modern Aire PS26 wall mount. Trying to decide between a black powder coat finish to match my cooktop or a stainless steel color. Both would have mirror finish stainless steel bands with rivets and pots rails on the sides:

{{!gwi}}

Here's the cooktop:

{{!gwi}}

Countertop around cooktop will be stainless steel, cabinet color is paper white and backsplash will be carrara marble slab like this, except I won't have any wall cabinets around the hood:

{{!gwi}}

Double wall ovens to the right of cooktop area will look similar to this (new F&P double ovens that aren't out till next month, so don't have a photo):

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for any help!

Erika

Comments (12)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Nice choices-- I would get the black hood.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

And I'd get the stainless.

This is why: while the black is lovely, it will be a strong element, and with so little other black (the cooktop is on a different plane, so it's not going to be a big visual element, and your ovens are clearly functional, not a decorative piece) in my mind's eye it feels out-of-place and too heavy for your light space. (esp. as it's a high element [meaning up on your wall / near your ceiling])

Your cabinets will be light (painted white).

Your countertops will be light (stainless and marble).

You'll have that wall of windows.

I know you're having some stained wood, but that's stained wood, not black.

I really think your inspiration photo says it all, m'dear.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

If you were having a black stove (you know, like an Aga or one of the French models) then the black hood might make sense, or at least more sense -- it would be part of a whole, ceiling-to-floor black / stainless.

But you're not ....

• lyno
    15 years ago

Will you have an island? If so, what color will it be? I've seen beautiful kitchens with the hood and the island the same color. If your island is light (white) I'd go with stainless, if dark...hmmm...maybe the black one. But, I really like the picture above of the stainless with the carrara marble.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I don't think you could go wrong with either--alot would depend on what look you are trying to achieve in your kitchen. I have the MA PS26 in white over a large Chambers stove--top is black, front of stove is white. I almost went with black but glad I went with the white. (If you search under my name, you will see a picture that I posted earlier). Marthavila has also posted a picture of her MA PS26 in red over her red AGA (beautiful!). Her AGA also has the black top, red front. With your white cabinet going under your cooktop, have you considered going with a white hood?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

erika... am I remembering an alder or medium stained wood island? What did you decide for the island (if there is one!) top? That would play into my vote. If you were using honed black or soapstone on the island; then I'd vote black. If not, I'd go with stainless. The black is beautiful, but like rm said, makes a very strong statement. Please keep in mind that I tend to prefer lighter colors so that might influence my choice of stainless if there is no other large black elements in the room.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I am thinking stainless for the same reasons rmkitchen stated, but think they are both gorgeous.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I would get the stainless (but I am biased because I probably *am* getting that exact hood...in stainless!) I agree that the black would make sense if you had an all black range such as an AGA or lacanche or even a black pro style. By the way, you mentioned the countertops will be stainless - is that in place of the calacatta marble countertops you wanted or is that a different section of the kitchen?

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brooke, I totally see what you mean about the black being on two different planes and that the black may seem out of place.

Elyse, great memory! The island is indeed stained a medium brown ("russet") and the top will be carrara.

farmhousebound, yep your kitchen is in my inspiration file ... I've admired your hood many times! I think I may need to break up all the white on that wall with something non-white.

victoriajane, neat! you're getting the same hood? Modern Aire is recommending a 1200 cfm internal blower to go over my 36" induction. What are you getting? I hope it's quiet.

Only the countertops on my cooktop will be SS, everywhere else will be carrara. The calacatta ended up being way too expensive.

It seems the majority are in favor of the stainless steel, which is how I was leaning too, based on my inspiration picture. Thanks everyone!

Will someone choose my prep sink and pendants for me now? ;)

Erika

• redroze
    15 years ago

Stainless...DEFINITELY. The shape and the lines of the vent hood speak for themselves. I love it.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Erica, I've spoken with salespeople here in NJ for both Modern Aire and Rangecraft. The Rangecraft Canterbury is almost identical to the wall hood you are looking at from Modern Aire. I *think* the Modern Aire came in at less but I have to go back and check my notes; there were so many variables for different options, so it's hard to keep it all straight. The black powder-coated Modern Aire is less than the stainless steel, incidentally. I still plan on going with the stainless, except if I go with the Heartland Legend range in black, which has very little silver on it. Then I would probably go with a black hood, and I might be able to get away with the black Aga canopy hood.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

victoriajane, I got quotes from both companies too, and the Rangecraft quote came in much higher than Modern-Aire. I forgot to ask about shipping cost from CA to NH, though. I hope it's not huge.