Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a cracked marble vanity top be repaired? cross/post

Posted by jterrilynn (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 14:32

Sorry, I posted this first in decorating but I think this is a better spot.

Hi all, on January 3rd I had cappuccino marble vanity tops installed. I did not notice a crack on the day I paid. However, we have not used that area or the bathroom yet as husband had to finish grouting the shower and I had to do some paint touch-ups. Two days ago after cleaning the tops I noticed a crack that covers the six inches from the small side end toward the sink. It is not real noticeable unless the light hits it just right. I am worried though about the few tiny ragged bits in the mid section of the crack. I have a call into the installer but would like a bit of education. I would like to just have it repaired. Would they use epoxy? If so, would the top then be good to go with no worries down the road?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a cracked marble vanity top be repaired? cross/post

Well this is odd. two days ago the crack stopped short of the under mount sink and today the crack has spread down to the lip of the under mount marble rim area. We have not even used the bathroom. I didn't know a crack could travel like this.

This is the best close-up I can get. It starts at this end and did stop short of the sink. However, today (still have not used bathroom) the crack had spread to marble lip on under-mount area.

show close-up

I can not get a good picture due to the glare. First picture shows the crack and in 2nd picture the crack is in between the pencil line for more clarification.

shows line

Photobucket

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:43

o

If you can't snag a fingernail on it I wouldn't worry about it. If it is irregular in a few areas a good fabricator can patch it so you'll never notice it. what you are seeing isn't common but it does happen with natural stone on occasion. if the crack was proximate to the sink cutout I'd be a little suspicious of the install but given the location it looks like the stone is just being stone. a very thin viscosity adhesive (think crazy glue)can be applied to the crack. It will wick into the stone and prevent the crack from separating. (It shouldn't separate anyway if its properly installed because with proper install there is no mechanical stress on the stone to pull it apart.)

o

I agree with oldryder looks like a weakness in the stone.
Should be sanded to smooth out the rough spots possibly.The using a cyanoacrylate(ca or crazy glue)it can be repaired and repolished. The fabricator should be able to handle that repair.If he cant for whatever reason find a bone fide stone refinisher to handle it.
Use clear glue so the repair looks like a natural vein or fissure.
Dont let them open it up and fill it with colored polyester(like epoxy but easier to work with)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here