Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetoo

Granite to complement flooring...would like suggestions

sweetoo
9 years ago

Hi! So we're planning to install Tigerwood flooring in our new kitchen. The photo is not my kitchen, just a google image, but our cabinets will be the same color.

What granite do you think would look nice?? I'll post some pics below of a few granites I like. I especially like the ones with grey/black in them. I'm not too crazy about the brown persa, but if the grays don't go I'd consider it.

Eagerly awaiting your expert advice:D

Comments (12)

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is delicatus...I love it

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's Alaskan white...I also think this is super nice.

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's brown persa. It's pretty but a bit too dark and brown for my liking

• ardcp
    9 years ago

delicatus and alaska white were my faves too! bianco antico is another name for a similar stone.
    they were too pricey so i found an alternative that i love called either blue ice or antartica

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks pretty close to the delicatus, ardcp! It's very pretty, and I think it's my favorite, but I'm afraid it will clash with the tigerwood flooring :S What color flooring do you have?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

the flooring was there already and i have decided i like it enough not to bother changing it. it is a wilsonart laminate that mimics red oak

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't think many of us are familiar with tigerwood so you may get answers that focus on your cabinets more than your floor. In online photos, it's pretty dramatic. It also has warm tones, even orange. I read that it darkens over time.

I saw your post on Home Decor where you planned on using a different counter on your island. I thought at the time that it broke one of the design rules of keeping countertops the same when the kitchen is small. But now that I see how striped the floor is, I would highly advise you use the same counter. I know your floorplan well, and your kitchen can only handle so much drama. It's possible that the creamy granites will conflict with the movement of the floor. Yet I wouldn't go with a dark counter or one with too much gold. If you absolutely love dramatic granites, I'd use a different floor.

Is this a good representation of your floor? Imo, the cool gray tone of the counter looks off here. Houzz has many photos of tigerwood with quiet quartz counters and granites with some movement.

{{gwi:2136583}}

[Modern Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by Minneapolis Carpet & Flooring Unique Wood Floors

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Quartz countertop in a neutral solid or very quiet pattern. Otherwise, you will have too many clowns in the kitchen. Which is a euphemism for too much going on. The only clown in your kitchen should be the floor.

The tiger wood is beautiful.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I agree with May flowers and homechef. The floor is going to steal the show. Let it shine and let the other items take take the background roles. : )

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Be very careful with that floor, especially if you are wanting the more subdued version of your opening post and some of the others online. Also be careful who you hire to install it. You want a good craftsman with a sense of artistry in his work, not the guy slapping boards down as fast as he can.

While I like the more mellow versions, that kitchen shot of Minneapolis Flooring is way too much, especially in a kitchen where there are not rugs or furnishings to break it up. A beautiful but busy stone would be lost in the cacaphony of heavily patterned materials. It would look chaotic. Too much visual stimulation, overload.

Personally, the beauty of an exotic wood like that is its grain, which is lost when it's chopped up into little pieces. Applications preserving its face grain are more suitable, imo, and highlight the natural beauty of the wood.

Notice how beautifully this top is pieced together.

{{gwi:2136584}}

Here is a link that might be useful: DeVos Tigerwood

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The colors are not as important as the pattern. That last one is the best, but whether it works well depends on how much variation and how much of the black streaking there is in the slabs you find.

You need something pretty calm, and the busier the grain and coloring in your particular flooring, the calmer the counter needs to be so they don't fight. That's hard to accomplish in lighter granite. You are going to look by slab rather than name -- and maybe consider some solid surface or other options. You might even want to wait until the flooring is in before you make a final selection. You particular flooring and the installation can result in a busier tigerwood floor or a calmer one.

• sweetoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree there is too much pattern....glad I asked before buying the floors. We decided against using 2 countertop colors though. The Minneapolis kitchen is a good representation of the flooring when it's new. After being exposed to light for several months it will darken and the variation in color will be less pronounced...similar to the first photo.
    So my choices are:

1. Tigerwood floor + subdued counter
    2. A more evenly toned floor (maybe brazilian cherry) with a patterned granite.

Thanks for the photo, ardcp!