Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaquilter

Need kitchen inspiration

vaquilter
9 years ago

We need to redo a small condo kitchen. I've uploaded photos, the existing layout and my three ideas for moving sink and DW without moving the plumbing. Since it's a condo, we are stuck with that where it is. We are pretty much also stuck with the stove and fridge locations (vent is above stove), even though there is not enough space in the aisle between them.

We hate the butterfly sink, neither side is big enough to do anything. We are perfectly happy to have an 18" DW; only 2 of us and we wash pots and pans by hand. Corner at the stove wall has a blind corner cabinet. I thought I wanted a lazy susan cabinet, but after reading the discussion about just closing off the corner, I will rethink that.

The cabinets above the stove will come out. We need to lighten up the living area with the light from the kitchen window. If not cost prohibitive we will lower the bar height half wall between kitchen and living area and extend the counter there to the end of the wall by the stove. And if there's money left, add cabinets under that to open from the dining side.

Thanks for any comments and advice

Here is a link that might be useful: Condo kitchen photos

Comments (11)

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I see your dishwasher in version 1, but where is it in version 2 and 3? Is it going into the spot indicated by the 18" base cabinet? Assuming it is, then I think you are best served by version 2. When someone is bringing cleared dishes in the kitchen, they will have a straight shot to the dishwasher and sink. In version 1, I think you might feel blocked in when the dishwasher drops open. Same in version 3, to a lesser extent.

Have you considered a single dish drawer? Or a counter depth fridge? The latter would really help. I like your little kitchen, honestly, and I think overall the space is used well. It looks like a fun project!

• llucy
    9 years ago

My own preference would probably be to put the sink and dw on the fridge wall. I like having an unbroken counter run when it's possible.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think I'm picking the same one as MizLizzie titled "sink on wall with shallow cabinet under window". I agree with her on where the DW should go in that plan to the right of the sink. Changing that one wall to shallow cabinets also gives you a bit more moving around space.

Yes to either a counter-depth fridge or insetting the fridge into the wall so you gain more clearance in front. If you do either, just be sure the door can still swing all the way open.

Cute space!

• vaquilter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MisLizzie: yes DW in the 18" cabinets. Haven't figured out how to make the program let me put a DW in one. It keeps insisting that it has to be 24. Should have gone back and put freestanding DW in the other 2 plans so placement would show.

I'll have to look at counter depth fridge options. I'd had given it up because of the width, but version 2 leaves enough space for that. Current fridge door does not open if pushed all the way to the wall. I was a little hesitant about shallow cabinets, but I'm always fighting to get things out of the back of my 24 inch bases anyway.

• sena01
    9 years ago

How about a galley kitchen? Maybe with a pull out cutting board or wall mounted work table?

• vaquilter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sena01: We had thought about that, and then gave it up because it seemed like that end wall was the only place left for wall cabinets and we couldn't picture it without base cabinets under them. But I'm thinking that might be a good place for shallow bases. I want a little bit of counter to the right of the the sink anyway, and I wouldn't lose that much base on the other side. I'll rework it that way and see what happens. I'm a messy cook though, and expand to fit the counter space available. Not sure how useful a 12 or 18 inch counter would be.

• vaquilter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sena01: We had thought about that, and then gave it up because it seemed like that end wall was the only place left for wall cabinets and we couldn't picture it without base cabinets under them. But I'm thinking that might be a good place for shallow bases. I want a little bit of counter to the right of the the sink anyway, and I wouldn't lose that much base on the other side. I'll rework it that way and see what happens. I'm a messy cook though, and expand to fit the counter space available. Not sure how useful a 12 or 18 inch counter would be except to hold the microwave, coffee pot, etc.

• vaquilter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry. previewed post, added some words and managed post both versions. Getting some things to think about.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

How about a shallow pantry between the studs in Sena's version? Lots of storage could be worked into that wall.

• sena01
    9 years ago

I'm a messy cook too, and prefer a continous counter b/w the sink and the range. But in your case, a galley may be preferred, because it would give you bigger cabs, which I believe can be less expensive than a number of smaller/irregular sized cabinets or even if not cheaper, give you cabs that can be used more easily. Maybe it's not possible to have all drawers due to budget constraints, but you can have rollouts(or add them when budget permits) and it would be much better than dealing with tiny cabs with shelves or susan(s) in a tight corner.

How are these? The coffee machine and toaster can be stored on a shelf when not in use and you'll have more counter when you're prepping a meal.

{{gwi:2136575}}

{{gwi:2136576}}

• vaquilter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sena01: Have been playing with versions of your bottom suggestion, and that looks good too. I'm a bit reluctant to have wall cabinets without something underneath them--afraid we'll bump into them while working at the ends of the counters, but shallow bases would work there. I'm going to have to decide whether cabinets or counter space is more important.