Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerlorisc_ia

undermount sink in laminate

I am in the middle of a remodel and doing a lot of the work myself to save $$$ for the more expensive details.

I may put off the granite for the counters until the money is saved up and I have no problem using the chopped up ones that were removed. Duct tape does wonders holding pieces of counter together. It is only me and the dogs so it doesn't matter how it looks for a while.

My question is if I would decide to go with a high definition laminate that looks like granite; how does the undermount sink mount in the laminate and not have the raw particle board edges show? ( Presuming they still use particle board; it has been a while since I have bought any).

I am 99% sure I am going with granite but I am sure I'm not the only one to wonder about this.

Comments (9)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

They just the laminate sheet to glue to thw sink (which one sink company that works with Formica is linked below. I dont like yhe look because it.lo it accentuates the fakeness if that makes sense

Here is a link that might be useful: Karran and laminate

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

gardenerlorisc_ia,

I am in the middle of a kitchen 'face lift', just having my cabinets painted, a new wooden top for my island, and new counter tops. I went to Lowes as I had laminate for 24 years, that looked like new, and wanted to price the Formica fx180 high def laminate for the counters. What a surprise when the KD added up the laminate costs and told me I could afford some granites for that price. I DO very much like the Calacatta marble laminate, but ended up getting Fantasy Brown Quartzite for a little bit more.

I think the sinks in the laminate in the attachment above look great! They are level with the counter top, rather than being below, like the solid surface ones.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

• lee676
    9 years ago

So are Karran sinks really the only ones suitable for use with laminate countertops? The link below from Formica's site mentions the wider mounting edges, but does nobody else have any like that?

There are new laminate bonding techniques that don't leave any black lines at the folds too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica undermount sink recommendation

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

If you know the counter is only temporary, I would either do grab and go laminate from your local big box store (much less $$$ than formica or wilsonart) with an overmount sink or butcher block, which would let you undermount the sink.

As my3dogs said, these days good name brand laminate is as much as some granites. It's a permanent choice kind of thing now, not a temporary one. The in-stock cut to fit laminates are very cheap, but you can't undermount with them.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Have you seen these stuff in real life? It looks just like the pic. The sink looks built in. It's flush with the countertop. I've seen this at lowes or HD and it looked pretty good. I never liked Formica/Wilsonart because of the over mount sink but when I found out they offer this kind of sink option, I was impressed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The Karran sinks can be undermounted in any plastic laminate top no matter the cost, but you'll need a decent router to remove the existing substrate.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the responses. I have already purchased the sink; it is not a Karran, and the faucet, Delta Satori, for the future granite.

I still have the old cast iron sink and faucet in the old counter top that will go back in temporarily.

The pic that MrsShane posted must be the way they do it for laminate but without a reveal, whether positive or negative if I understand it correctly. That has to be really tricky to get right.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If you choose an upgraded laminate, like the Formica 180 Fx and the undermount sink, you could have bought a Group A granite. You have to be choosing the laminate for a positive reason, not as a placeholder for something else later.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To live_wire_oak,

I am not going to purchase any laminate for a temporary use; I am using the old stuff since it is still serviceable even though ugly.

I didn't even know there were different groups of granite. Please expand on that and is Juparana Columbo in Group A? That is the one I have picked. I guess I have more research to do!

Thanks!