Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

Backsplash questions - where to end and edging options.

Lisa
10 years ago

1) Where is the correct place to end the backsplash - where upper cabinets end or where counter ends?

2) Of course the tile I want to use does not have bull nose pieces and I have three places where I would need them. I'm looking into using schluter edging. What are my other options?

I apologize as I'm sure the first question has been asked many times. When I tried to search it, I could mostly find posts about choosing backsplashes instead.

Comments (20)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Can you post a pic of your backsplash? There are several end pieces out there that you could use. Usually you would stop the backsplash at the end of the upper cabinets.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Regarding Q1, the backsplash is a logical extension of the counter, so the horizontal extent of the backsplash should jive with the counter.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We did not end at the counter or the cabinet but took it to the end of the wall. Fortunate that our tile came in bull nose.

I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong. Need to see what is best in your situation. Can you post a photo?

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

The pic where the backsplash ends with the cabinet if preferred around here.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I prefer edge of the counter to end the tile. Unless its like the photo above with seating at the end then I suppose, ending at the cabinet is fine.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I have 4 spots in question:

On either side of the window (counter backsplash pieces in window will be removed, no tile will be in the actual window area):

Where wall ends to the right of the TV:

And this area:

Other areas being tiled are butting up against something so don't have this issue.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I prefer to the counter. It doesn't appear to be a big difference between the upper and the counter so I don't think it will look bad if you just tile to the end of the cabinet.

• berryjam
    10 years ago

I think I'm team cabinet. If you look at the pic with the tv, the shadow from the tv gives you an impression of what the backsplash would look like if it went all the way to the counter and then if you envision the sliver of wall colour there and widens at the cabinets looks weird to me, whereas if the sliver of wall colour started wider at the counter would look better.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why did I assume there would be one "right" answer?! Lol

What about going to the end of the wall?

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

We ended our subway tile where the cabinet ends. There wasn't a bullnose piece sold and I didn't really want that skinny piece of tile outlining it. So...we just ended it in a straight line with no bullnose. It's only on side of kitchen and it looks fine. My Dh didn't put the raw, cut edges facing the edge, and it looks great. Our window area didn't wrap around like yours, it just butted up to the window trim, so I don't know about that area.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I'd go right past the counter and down to the floor by the tv and the other area where the cabs end short of the wall corner like in Debrak's picture, but as she says fortunate theirs had bullnose available.

Also, might it not be neat to wrap your tile around the corner into the window area?

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

I prefer a clean line down from where the upper cabinet ends. I think it looks odd to have the backsplash protruding from the side of the upper. I never did get my finished kitchen pics posted so if I get my kitchen cleaned up today, I will at least try to post backsplash pics.

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

This is so easy with an IPad. I did post another pic under the post how I ended my backsplash

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input! I especially appreciate the photos, it is helpful to see examples.

I think I will have it end where the upper cabinet ends. But I'm still trying to figure out an edging solution. One end of the tile is glazed so I may consider using the glazed end on the edge as Lake Girl suggested. I did see a photo of someone on this forum that did that (could be Lake Girl but I can't remember). Otherwise I may use the Schluter edging if it blends w/my tile well enough. They are sending me samples of their three gray colors and their brushed nickel. (my tile is gray)

• jerzeegirl
    10 years ago

I went to the end of the counter (actually a hair past the counter) to where the door trim begins

• Muffett
    10 years ago

My tile doesn't have bullnose either. I have lots of white/ stainless so I decided to finish with a rounded Schluter. (Please excuse - grouting and painting still in progress!)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jerzee girl, I can definitely see why you tiled to the end of the counter in your situation. It looks great!

muffet, I don't think I've seen your kitchen before. It's really pretty. I love your tile and counters.

michelle marie, yours looks perfect ending at the upper cabinet. I guess every situation is different and there is more than one "right" answer!

• Muffett
    10 years ago

Thanks Icskaisgir... I'm approaching the finish line. I've been shy about posting and have just started to after lurking (and learning ) for months! Here's a photo of more of the kitchen where you can see the Schluter on either side of the hood and the window...can't wait to peel the protective film off the appliances! LOL

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omg, it's gorgeous! Are you not using it yet? I remember peeling that plastic off the appliances almost before they got them completely installed because I was so excited! It's got to be driving you nuts! I love how you integrated the mosaic tile into the rest of the backsplash. What kind of counter is that? And it looks like you have a little extra detail in your crown molding, is it more than one piece stacked? Really beautiful. I look forward to your full reveal.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012