Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

I've narrowed down my backsplash. Purdy please help. Lots o pics

megpie77
14 years ago

I know you have help out so much already with this, but after taking a break from it all and going back to what I really like, I think I've found my top three choice. I know the bottom line is it's all personal choice. But it helps to get confirmation of what will or won't work and why. Thanks in advance for helping me out with this again.

A little background-If I could do it over again I would have calacatta marble counters and white or marble backsplash (dotcomgone is my new inspiration). Hubby said no to marble years ago : ( My point is I like updated, a bit contemporary classic styles (not sure if I'm terming that correctly). That being said my new choice, pics below, are 4x12 calacatta, 3x6 white subway, 3x6 white glass subway (shown in 4 little squares). I like the Platinum Green random glass shown but am afraid in a couple of years I'll tire of it, though it goes great with the soapstone.

dilemma:

calacatta veining might be too taupe for my green hued soapstone. I'm afraid my kitchen will be very gray and white. I also wonder if the veining limits a damask or toile patterned window covering which I would like to use. But then again the samples I have are subtle in veining and are honed which also tones down the veining.

3x6 white subways might be busy on computer wall.

Also, I love the chandy but am wondering if I should do something in bronze(example shown below) to tie in with counters and hardware. And not to worry, as this chandy will look stunning in the bathroom when we tackle that project!

TIA!

left to right: 3x6 sub., glass tiles (would get 3x6), 4x12 marble

Just for visual at a distance

fabrics concidered

possible chandy if I should include ORB

Comments (39)

• sadie709
    14 years ago

Hi Megpie
    I'm not a designer and even to my untrained eye the veining in the marble looks like it might compete with the veining in the soapstone. The soapstone is sooo beautiful I wouldn't want anyone to look at anything else. It's a subtle backdrop for the counters. I vote for the white subway with the green glass accents. Your kitchen is lovely. Enjoy!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

hey Meg!

I vote for the 4x12 calacatta!!! I love it! (On my computer your counters don't look green at all--if they are green and the gray doesn't work with it--then go classic white)

You already know how I feel about the chandy ;) (Looks very happy there) Will look even better with something behind it.

Are you thinking about doing a roman shade with the fabric? I like the first choice you have there. I think you should get the back splash done first, and then you will find a material that works with it. There are so many choices out there. Considering all things, you could easily change the window treatment in a year or two, but the backsplash is here to stay.

FYI, I'm still waiting for my local dealer to get in some samples of tile. Still looking at the 2x8 subways with either harlequins or smaller glass rhomboids over the stove.

Nice to see the pictures.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

The calacatta looks AMAZING! I wouldn't change the chandelier until everything else is done. Right now it sort of disappears (not necessarily a bad thing...I actually like how subtle it is) but once you do the back splash, window treatments and paint, it may stand out more. Also, the ORB one pictured may look too small in that big window?

A very LOUD vote for the marble!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I vote for the marble also, but your counters are not reading green to me, and I don't see alot of veining. My second choice would be the glass tile if you want a modern edge.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Very beautiful choices to work with!

My initial thought was go with the white subway. Very classic look and won't conflict with the color or veining in your counters.

However, upon looking at your chandelier and fabrics, I think stylistically, the marble is the way to go! It is gorgeous and gives your kitchen the more elegant look you seem to be going for.

So, another vote for the marble. It seems to suit your style and will look gorgeous.

I like your existing chandelier and the one in the first photo. I do know what you mean about adding in some metal to tie in your hardware...not a bad idea. Both are pretty.

I also like your first damask fabric choice. Lovely.

Good luck with the finishing touches!

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

Hi there beekeeperswife! Yes I would do a roman shade on the window and the backdoor. Swatches are on the way. I do love the calacatta but the veins are gray and taupe/brown. However, things don't have to be matchy matchy. Perhaps the gray in the marble is just enough to make it work with my counters.
    BTW, did you figure how high to go with the tile? I've been so busy the past 6wks or so that I simply lurk until my kids come running in the room needing something-Not enouh time to think and type, only occasionlly. My hubby and I both had different opinions. I thought you should tile up to the cabinets (obviously) and then bring the tile over to the hood and then go up to the hood. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Someone doctored up a photo for you like this and I really liked it. My DH on the other hand thinks you should go all the way up to the bottom of the hood. I really like the harlequin. Are you set on a matte finish? I just found this a few weeks ago and really like it. It's probably more curvy than you like and it's not matte but I thought it would compliment the chandy. It's fun and I hope someone uses it so I can see it!

Cheri127-I agree that the chandy is subtle and yes perhaps better this way. Thank you.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I love the marble and I don't think the veining competes with your soapstone. I think the white subway is too bland and the marble is a bit more elegant. Your kitchen it gorgeous, by the way!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I do like that...ok, what is it? Give me the link. Why not just add more confusion to my life?

I still don't know what to do with the tile, I liked the drawing of it the way you describe, in fact the backsplash made out of paper that I have there now with the 2x8s drawn on it, is like that. Except for the fire hazard the paper one is working out just fine!

I bet I will have enough of the field tile to do it either way and it will come down to a last minute decision between, me, my dh, and the duct tape that holds them up on the wall while I decide.

But go ahead and throw another wrench into the mix--what exactly is that tile?

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again everyone. Every little bit of advise helps as this is a "stuck with forever" project.Here are pics of the veining in the soapstone. I was hoping I could capture the green hue but it seems to be more obvious at night and in person. It is a very subtle green hue.
    unoiled

oiled

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Meg, having seen the pics you posted of your lovely home in previous threads, I would suggest you go with one of the glass tiles. I think it would fit better with your decor than the marble. I think the platinum green random glass would look awesome and I don't think you would tire of it. It would give you that bit of color you seem to be seeking. I know everyone says marble and for certain kitchens I think it is amazing, but you have been hesitant of marble from the beginning with your soapstone. Your fabrics are gorgeous and you have great taste, so go with your gut on this one.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

beekeeperswife-I love to add confusion! Just kidding. I find a style I love and then find something "bigger and better" every so often. I should stop looking, but the styles find me!
    Anyhow the arabesque tile is from missionstonetile.com in Nashville, TN. The link is just below and another fun link is highlighted
    http://www.missionstonetile.com/products/new-products

Here is a link that might be useful: arabesque decor

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pluckymama-Thank you for the compliment! And thank you for your suggestion. I was very hesitant of marble until I saw the ones I have. They are more subtle than other samples I have from different companies. But you are right in that marble has always been questionable for me. I was thinking glass would give a fun edge on a classic style (subway). Indeed, I do like the platinum green random but it is a bit busy for my taste, yet still a consideration. But could I still do a traditional fabric roman shade with the random glass tile? Thanks again! BTW are your counters still holding up since you had them refinished? Also, did you get your walker zanger tile installed? I remember prill asking about it a bit ago. I would love to see pics, unless you posted pics and I missed it.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I was going to say glass too! But rather than the random netted tile, I'd do a more traditional shape, like the marble ones you show. And a single color, larger glass would look great with your fabrics.

If you really like marble, and don't like the veins, you could try thassos, which is very white.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Megpie77, I have often commented on your backsplash post, even though I feel inexperienced and am not sure of what I am going to do for mine either. This time I am thrilled to say that I LOVE ALL of your choices. They are simply beautiful and really seem to fit with the look of your kitchen.... I too love Calacutta in general and just kept being drawn to it in your sample picture, but didn't really study them to give an opinion of any one over another. The subway tile and glass tile work too! You can't go wrong. I think the fabrics and the chandy are great too!

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

I myself would go with a glass tile after seeing all of your pictures, I do like white subway tile, but just don't think it works best with what you have going so far-

I would also leave the chandy as is for now- I think orb would stand out too much. Can I ask where you got it? I want a girly light fixture for my daughter's room, and I think this is so beautiful! What size is it?

• prill
    14 years ago

My vote is for the green glass. I think it would look great with your soapstone and those awesome fabrics. Everything would tie together beautifully.

You seem hesitant about the marble because of the taupe - and the green would add that pop of color.

I like the light fixture you have.

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

I would do the glass if it is matte. A little bit of color would be nice. I was at the tile and stone place today and the guy told me that my designer's choice of red glass was fun, but it was glossy and if I had window light opposite it, I would see myself in the red tile. Lots of mirroring. I have huge picture windows, so that would be not so good.

Green was the one color my husband nixed, so it wouldn't be in my kitchen. But lots of people like green. Although I am not a designer, I was a costume designer for awhile and won an award as a grad student for "Best Costume Design for a Budget of $300 or Less". (The Seventies). Green was the color we put the villainess in. But green means something else in Feng shui.

I liked the idea of the red tile for my backsplash on white Ceasarstone that looks like you Calcutta. At first. It's good Feng shui i.e. red is good for conversation. But it is not calming. Green is more calming. I'm now leaning towards an interesting metal looking gray with black.

I feel your anxiety. But your whole kitchen is beautiful and classic and I would still opt for a bit of color to make you smile.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I was going to say marble till I kept looking back at your pics (beautiful style you have) and I think I'm changing my mind to the glass; especially since your going toward the 3x6 or even larger. I think it'll add a contemporary twist to a classic look. I do so love the marble though and either would look beautiful in your kitchen.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

My vote is for the glass, in subway tile format. It's a beautiful space, I love your style!

• biochem101
    14 years ago

Tile:
    1 - the random green glass set
    2 - other green glass (maybe 3 x 6 size)
    3 - the 12" marble ones

Fabrics: either the top or the bottom one would look great. Don't care for the one in the middle.

Good luck! Your kitchen looks great and I'm sure whatever you choose will be nice.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I like all of them, but my choice would be the glass subway.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Just had another thought... what if you were to do the glass but run the marble on the small space behind the sink and run it straight up onto the overhand/ledge changing out the black marble there.

• ajard
    14 years ago

I love the marble or white subway tiles with your style kitchen

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I agree that the calacatta veining might conflict with the soapstone veining. Too many colors and patterns going on. You will have dark green with light green veining and then white with gray and taupey veining. I would go with a white subway but maybe one with some interest such as a crackle, handmade look, or even a beveled edge. If you want the green I wouldn't go with those mosaics as they will become dated. I would use a very soft celadon green crackle tile, or if you must have glass a 3 x 6 subway. The others are too modern for a more classic kitchen and for the look you want.

• trish21
    14 years ago

Hi Megpie, First thank you so much for the compliment! I love your kitchen and adore soapstone. I considered it but the look was a bit too similar to a kitchen I had (and adored!)in an old house (dark green almost blk marble with white cabinets. That kitchen had such a great french bistro look and I think yours does too! So i'm sorry if I add to your confusion, but I like the idea of a more bistro-y subway tile. I think you already have the green tones in the soapstone and stay with a white subway. I would fear that the calacatta subway would compete with your fabulous soapstone. So I vote for either of the white subway tiles- glass or porcelain.

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate everyones feedback-I know it takes time to sit down, look, think, look again,type, etc. so I thank you.

remodelfla-thank you, that is a great idea but I think I want to keep it all the same.

fleur222-thank you, I think these backsplash choices are a much better fit for my kitchen than the others I have posted. And so I see I am not alone in my quest-have you narrowed down your choices?

dotcomgone-thank you for giving my kitchen a name. I wasn't really sure what style it was heading. And thank you for the suggestions.

I think from everyone's feedback many of you have confirmed some gut feelings I have. As much as I love marble my gut is telling me a white glass or ceramic would look best for a classic kitchen. I will save the calacatta for the bathroom in the future. I love the color of the platinum green but can't find it in a subway.
    My kids are running and screaming so it's time to go and take care of business.
    thanks again!

• catkin
    14 years ago

12" marble. Classic, timeless!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I love the 4x12 marble...clean, simple, modern with the 12" length. I think it compliments, not competes!

Second choice: white subway! You almost never go wrong with that.

Good Luck Meg!

• cal_sunshine
    14 years ago

Hi,

I just went throught the same dilemma. I have white cabinets and soapstone with some viening sinilar to yours except mine is more grey not green when unoiled. I really wanted marble and brought home many samples. I too didn't want the viening to conflict with that of the soapstone. I finally ended up getting 3x6 statuary marble which was creamier than carrara (my cabinets are more creamy) but without the brown/beige viening of calacutta. The marble is supposed to come tomorrow but it's a bit nerve wracking as I've been told countless times how much marble can vary.

I keep going back to one of your earlier posts about backsplashes (soapstone counters marble backsplash anyone have it?) with all the pictures of kitchens with soapstone and marble backsplash and think how classic that combination is.

• prill
    14 years ago

Did you look at Akdo glass subways? They have some beautiful greens in subway. Someone here (annanna I think) had it in her kitchen. I bookmarked her blog, but I don't seem to have it anymore. And when I search for her, nothing comes up, but I guess we're missing some posts again.

Here's the link to Akdo -

Here is a link that might be useful: Akdo glass tile

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Meg-You could look at glass or ceramic in a different size, to give a traditional look a "twist"...I like the 4x12 marble's size.

I'll attach a link to the daltile modern dimensions. If you scroll down, you can see the different sizes--there is a 4x12 available. Hey, it's just an idea.. And you remember my board that I had posted before, look at the sizes there:
    {{!gwi}}

btw, I did send a request for information about that tile. My dh reminded me about the difficulty in cleaning splattered sauce from it behind the range. oh yeah. good point. Only true Italians would be thinking ahead to a specific type of splatter....

Here is a link that might be useful: daltile modern dimension

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cal sunshine-I will be eagerly waiting to see your backpslash. You'll post pics I'm sure, right? I did bring home a sample of the statuary marble and it actually looked kind of stark in my kitchen. Perhaps it was the brand or mabey because I get so much light in this room. I'm really impressed with the samples I have as they are so subtle. But like you said, there can be quite some variation when you order in bulk. Thanks again

Prill-I completely forgot about that site. Long ago I ordered some marble from them. Thank you for reminding me. I will see if I can order samples later today. Thank you.

Beekeeperswife-I meant to ask you about those long tiles I saw on your board. I asked the gal yesterday if she had tiles in the 4x12 size and she didn't. Funny because they carry Daltile products. That just means I'll be taking a little trip today to another tile store (much farther away ). Oh, and I just saw a pic of your backsplash in which you drew it the way I liked it best-man, you are patient! I think it's time I go to the craft store and start drawing. Also, the arabesque tile shouldn't be too difficult to wipe clean...well not as difficult as a basketweave backsplash I would think. That reminds me, I need to make some sauce! Thank you for the link.

• doingygirl
    14 years ago

I would choose carrera marble subway tiles. I have soapstone counters and wanted to use a carrera subway backsplash but it clashed with our exposed brick wall and cream colored cabinets. There are some pics of kitchens that used this combo in the FKB (charlie 123's kitchen is similar but with honed AB granite counters).

• poppy09
    14 years ago

Hi Megpie, I love the marble tiles and the first fabric swatch! :)

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just in case anyone checks back I think I found what I love the most. A really nice girl at United Tile helped me out so much. I almost gave up going there because I never got much help. Anyhow, she let me take home sample boards that have been grouted. I can't believe how much this has helped my decision. My mom and dad came over, bless them as they came over ASAP, and right when they walked in they said "that's the one" pointing to the Walker Zanger polished calacatta. They said it just does so much for the kitchen and I totally agree. The 4x12 samples I have are honed which I thought I liked but much prefer the polished as it adds some warmth. I almost threw out the idea of marble. Thank goodness I had a free day to drive to this store! And the girl said if I know a contractor I'll get contractor's price-my brother is a contractor! Yeh!
    In these picks you will see beveled subway (my 2nd choice), thassos marble (a little too plain), glass subway (way to contemporary now that I see it grouted and too much shine), and the calacatta is the one with the most veining. I sure hope this helps anyone else out there with soapstone unsure of what to do.
    beveled subway (left) calacatta (next to beveled)

glass far right (too glossy and more blue in person-very cold)

thassos to the left

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Yay!!! It's gorgeous!!!

What size are you going to do?

Order it!

• theresse
    14 years ago

I would do 4x6 or else minibrick subway style calcutta marble tiles. The extra long marble ones look a bit odd to me (not terrible, just not classic) and the carerra marble is too busy and grey. I like that there's a hint of beige in the calcutta. It's a light, simple marble that's not overwhelming and it doesn't clash at all with the soapstone. There's probably lots of "beige" (neutral) in your kitchen, too. :)

• megpie77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beekeeperswife-woudn't you know I called the gall telling her I wanted the calacatta and she has to get back to me because the company, GBI tile (not WZ as I thought, though the 4x12's are WZ) is changing where they get their marble. She will have to order samples of the marble they currently have. That's the bad news. The good news is that they always get grade A or B marble (that means better looking marble). I actually thought of you while I was there and wanted to take pics of some pretty and unique tiles. However, I don't have a USB for my phone to connect to my computer. Though I do think the halequins are a great design and very fitting for your kitchen. I was just having fun at the tile store-wish I had a focal point wall behind a cooktop. It's fun to look and get ideas for other's kitchens.

Theresse-thank you. The only reason I wanted the 4x12 marble was so it wouldn't look so busy. I agree about the carerra; it would be too harsh in my kitchne. The calacatta marble looks so much better with my counters in person than in the photos.

Thanks again!

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Just wondering.....were you able to go in the same direction or did you change your course?