Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaidan_gw

Counter-height Windows

kaidan
14 years ago

We have found out that our window over the sink needs replacing. Figures. We were down to studs and it would have been an easy fix then but now plaster, floors, etc. are done and we find out it leaks. Apparently this old window has been doing it for years but we never knew. I mentioned getting a new window when one of our workers was replacing the siding on our house and came along rot. He convinced us that was not needed. So that's aggravating!

Anyway, a friend of DH is going to install our cabinets. We asked him to replace the window above the sink. I said I would like a counter-height window in its place. Friend says then that he will do the window after the cabinets are in place. Is this common practice? I figure by this point, it's the only option bc cabinets are going in on Saturday. Any advice to how to go about the counter-height window? I would love a bump-out but I don't think DH is on the same boat. But either way, he does want the window down to the counter. The window going in has pushed off granite templating which stinks. I'm assuming the granite goes up to the window.

The window we are replacing will not be very wide but I'm excited.

Any advice or good pictures along the way that I can pass onto DH's friend?

Comments (6)

• rumble_s
    14 years ago

With the cabs I've done for customers the concern with counter height windows is the counter top itself, especially if you want a continuous surface. Even if they are not exactly the same there can be issues getting the counter top in underneath the window sill. What I would recommend is to make it 2" higher. That means no problems during cab installation, yet you still get the full view.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

We aren't doing a window sill. The whole point of the window to the countertop was to have the continuous granite back to the window without having to worry about trim getting in the way. The granite will basically go right into the area where a window sill would have been. There is not going to be any wood trim on the lower part of the window. I had my windows put in first. I don't have cabinets and countertops in yet so I can't tell you if it worked or not. I know there are several people who have windows to the countertop so hopefully they'll chime in with how it was done.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

We are doing this. We moved our window over 17" and then bumped it out 6" - we used a 2x12 for the framing, so my sill is about 10".

Our granite is going back to the window. I wouldn't want granite to butt up to the wood sill. I think it would look odd.

The big thing is to make sure it's not a shear wall. If it is, evidently making ANY changes to the window means additional measures need to be taken. Ours was a shear wall (meaning it was designed with stuff to counter earthquake and lateral wind forces). We did the work before the permit and THEN learned it was a shear wall. We had to do seismic retrofitting with foundation anchors. We had to buy very expensive drill bits that were over 2' long. We borrowed the equipment to run these bits. All in all, it was close to $700 of unanticipated expense and 3 good long days of work, and it would have been way easier to do in the process. If the cabinets were already installed, we would have had to taken them out and strip the wall to studs to drill and place the anchors into the foundation.

• kaidan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the cabinets will be in before the window gets fixed (95% positive).. the granite will be held off until the window is completed. Our walls are not shear walls so hpefully that's one thing going for us from the start!

I guess as long as the contractor puts the bottom of the window to the cabinet level then we should be all set for the granite lying flush into the sill? Fingers crossed.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

Our granite on our counters also continues onto the windowsills. Hopefully the attached photos will be helpful to you. Our house is stone so the windowsills are 18" deep.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite windowsills