Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lumber liquidator butcher block counter top fiasco

Posted by cschultz1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 14:01

Just went to pick up my lumber liquidator 12 foot maple butcher block countertops (bbc) ($360) plus tax, and every joint had a 1/16th to 1/8th gap that was filled with wood filler. Ugliest countertops I have ever seen. When I got my refund they charged me a $72 "restocking fee". I have seen numerouse bbc and these were by far the worst. Even the super cheap Ikea bbc are much nicer than this. There was also a lot of very dark grey and red strips in the bbc that was probably oak. I realize they will not be perfect at this price, but they should at least be nicer than ikea's bbc. Has anyone else had this experience?

Key words:

Ikea vs lumber liquidator, birch, beech, walnut, dark, stain, problems, disappointed, sink, cabinet, farm, kitchen

This post was edited by cschultz1 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 15:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lumber liquidator butcher block counter top fiasco

I'm just curious why they should be "nicer than ikea's". I don't think of Lumber Liquidators as being higher end than IKEA, plus IKEA probably has better quality control in place.

o

Sorry to hear that....you would be much better off with Ikea then Lumber Liquidators

o

LL's quality is the pits on everything they sell.

o

My Ikea oak BB is beautiful! Did you know about the restocking fee? That really stinks.

o

You shouldn't have to pay restocking on a defective piece. That's not how bb should be constructed. Maybe try going to corporate. Hope you have a photo.

LL has a terrible reputation (but great sales people). There are separate forums created to handle all the LL problems. Sorry you got mixed up with them.

Agree Ikea does a good job.

o

Oh no. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I'm planning on using LL butcher block as well so very interested in how this turns out. Can I ask what city?

o

Newnan, GA

They were more expensive than ikea, so I thought they would be a little better. Also, i had read that maple was better for butcher block due to the tight grain. If you give me your email, I will send you a pic and then you can post it, my computer is not allowing to attach the file, but I can send pic from my phone.

o

I remember a post from a few years ago about LL butcherblock being full of internal voids when it was cut. Their flooring is so questionable that I wouldn't expect much better from their BB.

If you have an industrial supply anywhere near, they often have shop worktops that are inexpensive and rustic looking, but still good quality. I've used McMaster Carr before. You can even get stainless or oak tops too as well as the maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster Carr

o

>I remember a post from a few years ago about LL butcherblock being full of internal voids when it was cut.

Yes, that was Poor Owner's kitchen, IIRC.

However, in fairness should be said there have been complaints about Ikea bb recently, too, and it appears they are moving mostly to a horrid particle-board-wrapped-in-wood product (Akerby). Numerar (the solid BB) is getting pretty hard to find, alas. Grab it while you can.

o

Send their corporate office (attn.: CEO) a friendly letter asking for a reimbursement of the stocking fee, and include the picture. Tell them you hope this can be resolved; otherwise you'll report them to BBB, your county's consumer affairs, and if all fails, take them to small claims court (depending on how much the filing fee is).

Here is a link that might be useful: small print at LL

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 18:11

o

Great advise so far. If you paid with a credit card, I would also start a complaint process through them. Most cards have consumer friendly policies.

o

The saddest thing about the fill in the picture is that it is completely avoidable. They didn't use the proper saw blade for crosscutting or didn't support the piece as it was cut or both. Tear-out is something you learn about in 8th grade shop class.

o

"Tear-out is something you learn about in 8th grade shop class."

Yeah, but I don't think they have 8th grade shop class in China.

o

What a joke. Consumer Affairs?

o

I would wonder if that counter in that condition would even be food-safe?

Go to the John Boos website to read about NSF rated hard rock maple butcher block (it's awesome) to get some background info to base your complaints to LL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here