Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Wear on white cabinets

Mom23Es
9 years ago

I am asking for advice with an ongoing issue. We moved into our newly built house in October of 2012, and not too long afterwards I started noticing lots of wear on our white kitchen cabinets. I contacted our builder, and he kept sending his guy out to touch up our cabinets using the cabinet paint marker. It looked better, but it definitely never looks quite the same. Today we finally got a representative out from the cabinet company, and his recommendation is to have someone come out with the manufacturer's paint and professionally refinish the cabinets in the places that are showing the most wear. I don't feel like this is really going to help us long term. It seems like this might cover our current issues but do nothing to help prevent further issues.

Are your white cabinets showing wear this badly? Is this just part of the problem with painted cabinets? I keep being told that it's an innate problem with painted cabinets.

If this isn't typical, what should I expect the builder or cabinet company to be doing? We mentioned having all the cabinet fronts replaced, and we were told that if there were a few really bad ones that those could be replaced but there was no guarantee that they would match our older cabinets. And notice, he never actually answered our question about replacing all the cabinet fronts. Apparently that wasn't an option. He said he wanted to start with the "professional refinishing" first.

Here's a link to my former post from October 2013.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg101501346123.html?12953&rnd=myEMC

Comments (15)

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another cabinet

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another. It's all over! ðÂÂÂ

• crl_
    9 years ago

That seems substandard to me. My diy home painted cabinets in our first house held up better than that. And our ikea cabinets in our second house still looked perfect after 18 months of use (we moved so I can't say past that.)

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I've been working with a local cabinet maker and he told me over and over again that wood is NOT meant to be painted. Wood expands and contracts so with paint there seems to be more issues. But I'm someone who loves painted cabinets, in fact, I painted mine a couple years ago and I would say they are holding up about 98% just fine. I had one chip and I touched it up. The worse part is I get a couple of small cracks in the paint when it's super cold out, but when warm weather rolls around, the cracks go away.

It's my opinion that if you're having that many issues then either you're too hard on the cabinets or the cabinet maker didn't do enough prep work to ensure the paint would stick properly. Or it could be a little bit of both. Going by your org post, it sounds like you went with a reputable cabinet maker so hopefully they will stand behind their work and make it right. I can't imagine touching up the bad areas will actually fix the problem. If the prep work wasn't done right, then it doesn't matter how many times you touch up, the problem will keep occurring.. I hope it all works out for you.

• tigger9759
    9 years ago

What brand are your cabinets and how were they painted? I'm wondering if it was a conversion varnish finish or something else.

• tigger9759
    9 years ago

Ok I just read your link to your older post and saw the cabinets are Medallion...now I'm scared of my painted cabinet order that's being submitted in a few weeks. That doesn't look normal or acceptable at all to me...

• romy718
    9 years ago

If you accept the repainting option, I'd insist they repaint all of them. The new paint may not be an exact match to the existing cabinet color.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'd expect a few chips in the most work spots where you had an impact, but there is something else going on here. Do you have pictures of the install as a whole? Can you take one from further back and then circle the problem spots in that picture? Describe your daily life with these cabinets and how you are cleaning them. Do you have a drip rail under your farm sink? Has the actual cabinet company rep been out to see them, or only the local designer and shop people?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I DIY repainted our old kitchen cabinets twice with no chips or rubs or peeling or anything such as you have shown. Our current cabinets are of a new kitchen, now almost 5 years old, factory painted, and absolutely no wear on them.

Before you do anything educate yourself on the steps of painting/repainting kitchen cabinets. They can't come in and just slap another coat of paint on those doors. Educate yourself on the prepping of cabinets to get them ready for painting. Then ask their process and see if it matches what you learn. The internet has all sorts of info as does your local paint store and probably Home Depot.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Repainting is not going to cure the adhesion problem.....new fronts are in order to make this right

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i am really hoping you get a resolution that satisfies you! i will say that i seriously doubt it is because you are hard on your cabinets as i have medallion silver in stained maple that has dings and chips in places like the inside edges of a cabinet, the bottom of the super susan (the chip is covered by the door when closed) i am shocked at how easily these cabinets ding and chip. they are maple but are wearing like pine.
    my guess is this is part of your issue and the paint is peeling/chipping off the wood divots/dents.
    i hope you will give us continued updates because i shudder to imagine my cabinets in a couple of years! i had one chip i showed my kd (2 days after install) and her response was that it wouldn't be replaced because it looked like it was caused by me. however i know it wasn't but can't prove a thing.
    i have used the stain pen myself and know that it isn't a great solutuion. good luck to you!

• CeltiaKris
    9 years ago

Wow, that definitely looks unreasonable. I painted the 25-year-old oak cabs in our "new" house in 2012. I used good paint and primer with all the proper prep and sanding in between. I have exactly one scratch on the edge of an upper cab where I dropped a very heavy vase one day.

Our cabs get moderate use, but being white, they also get reasonably frequent cleaning (scrubbing). Part of the painted area is a peninsula with seating. That area gets ABUSED by kids, but still looks perfect.

We don't have central air, and our single window unit on the 1st floor doesn't really reach the kitchen. We're in the northeast - hot, humid summers and dry dry dry winters. There is definitely wood expansion visible - just a hairline crack on cabinet and door panels. But nowhere in my house have I seen your level of peeling or chipping.

A factory finish should look MUCH better than that for at least 5 years. Definitely be a squeaky wheel.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm now living in my parent's former home. The laundry room has floor to ceiling pantry cabinets, cabinets above the washer/dryer, and the walls themselves are plywood, not sheetrock, plaster or hardi-board. All painted in the 1990's. I just went and looked closely and there are two very small chips on an outside corner where we probably bonked the fridge and/or range when we moved in and changed out those appliances. Nothing else. And there have been numerous grandkids with walkers and other toys banging into them over the years.

We also have a rental with painted cabinets. We last painted them around 2000, give or take a year or so. When our last renter moved out who had been there for about 10 years, we figured we'd have to repaint them. No, we didn't. Just a good scrub down and they looked great. No chips or scratches.

I think there was poor prep work, poor quality paint, or some other issue that whoever painted them needs to correct.

Good luck!

• Amy Leonardi
    2 years ago

I painted my dark wood kitchen cabinets with home depot Swiss Mocha paint (so nothing super high end or special) more than 15 years ago. They still look decent, although I will touch up with paint as needed and is super easy. It's time now for cabinet front replacements but the painting has held up fine.