Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjmi

Kitchen space plans Feedback (new to forum)

SJMI
10 years ago

Been reading and learning so much from this forum, thanks!

We have our initial plans for our new kitchen. We have recently moved into an old (1927) Tudor/French mix home. The house has many original details, including woodwork (lots), wide plank wood flooring, plaster moldings, original tile floors in bathrooms, original windows. And the old style kitchen (although renovated in early 80s) removed from the main flow of the house, and rather small. We have decided to make the formal dining room into the new kitchen and the 4 season sun room into the new dining room (large doorways into new dining room from new kitchen and living room) The old kitchen will become a mud room/family room. We will be keeping the current Butler's Pantry which is in between what will be the new kitchen and new family room/mud room.

Maybe more details than needed there, if so I apologize.

Some of our goals of the big move:
1. Gain eat in kitchen space (none now)
2. incorporate the kitchen into the main flow of the house
3. Gain some mud room/family room space
4. Have a kitchen with view of backyard, patio
5. Modern convenience/layout with traditional look (as to not clash with house)

Here is the birds eye of plan:

Main work wall

Island work side

Corner sink one side/desk other side (doorway here leads to new dining room)

3rd wall (large entrance to main hall, small door into Butler's Pantry)

Any thoughts on lay out would be great. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• sena01
    10 years ago

Can you move the DR door towards the desk area? I think you'll have quite a small cleanup sink in the corner (36x36 cab?). So, if you can move the door you can have other alternatives there.

I have a desk in the kitchen that I use all the time, but if you think you can live w/o one, I'd consider moving the oven there. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to have it on the island when you're prepping.

I guess you prefer the fridge/MW near the FR side for snacks. But if you'll use the DR frequently you may consider an uct beverage fridge near the DR (though I'm not sure where).

I assume there'd a lot of traffic to the kitchen from the FR side so maybe you should remove the 15" deep cabs. Even with no cabs there, you'd still lack the recommended 65", but would be much better than having 37" imo. (Recomended aisles, walkways). I think the desk area can be used for some tall, shallow cabinets along with the oven (assuming that you'd remove the desk and move the oven there).

• SJMI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not convinced we absolutely must have a desk as we do have office space not in the kitchen. Really only NEED mail sorting/calendar organization spot. We have 3 kids, so I was also thinking the desk could be a separate corner to do school work at. I do wonder if it would seem like a long separation between zones if we make the desk area into the wall oven and baking storage zone?

Had not thought about the shift in traffic patterns. Now, kids often hang out and do homework in living room which is off the main hallway (through the larger entrance). But yes when the homework,hang out, TV spot moves to the new family room that will mean traffic will come that way, through the small door. Had envisioned the 15 deep counter on that entrance way wall to have our bowls of fruit, which we typically have several of, and potatoes, onions etc. Easy for kids to grab snack without coming through "work" zone, not too far from island for prep purposes, and yet bowls not taking up prep/dining space on island.

Problem is I hesitate to shrink the island, as we really want to be able to seat the whole family (5) in the kitchen, it's the major reason for the renovation. And I like the idea of having stools on at least 2 sides so we can see each other, not be sitting ducks in a row style. We could theoretically ditch the island and have a big table but then we would be lacking prep counter space and I think it would be seen as less attractive to future buyers (10 years down the road, I know kitchen will be "dated" by then but at least would like the bones to be solid/attractive)

We will be using the dining room, and likely will still eat dinner there often. We frequently have extras for meals and snacks so 5 easily turns to 8-12. Beverage fridge is interesting idea, especially for entertaining.

Thanks again!

• SJMI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another question:

We are planning on living here 10 years or so, not forever. I know the kitchen will be somewhat outdated in 10 years, but would like to consider general resale when renovating.

The current plan has a large island (seating ideally 6)but has no table. The new kitchen opens directly to the new dining room which will have potential to seat 10 (maybe 12 if stretching it). For potential future buyers is it better to try and have a smaller island and a table in the kitchen itself or figure the island is ok as the only eating space in kitchen?

Thanks again!

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

I adapted your plan based on sena's suggestion to move the DR doorway. You hadn't answered if that was possible but I went ahead anyway to give you an idea what you'd gain if that opening was shifted towards the windows.

You'll notice the clean-up sink and DW are now on the top wall, next to the DR, convenient for table-setting and clean-up duties. This set-up also allows you to have a larger sink than you could have in a 36" corner cabinet unit. I have a 33" sink in a 42" corner cab but I only have 22" counter frontage, can't imagine how much narrower that would be with a 36" corner cab.

I eliminated the desk since you were on the fence about it and replaced it with a 15" deep Command Center, something along the lines of this:

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Lawrenceville Kitchen & Bath Designers Designs by BSB

Oops, I goofed at the clearance calculation between island and CC. It's 51-3/4", not 52-1/2". The aisle clearance between window wall and island is 56", not 55".

I adjusted the shape of the island. It will still seat 5 but the curved seating makes it easier to visit. I didn't see until just now that you were hoping to get 6 at the island. Depending on how you support the seating overhang, you may be able to add a 6th seat. I can't remember how to calculate the length of a curve anymore. Have you considered using wood for just the seating overhang area? That wouldn't require nearly the beefy support as a quartz or granite counter overhang would. I saw a kitchen on houzz that used wood for the seating area and stone for the work area and it looked good.

• SJMI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lisa_A! I very much appreciate your advice and time.

We are trying to avoid and structural changes (which may be unwise) because it's an old house and I am afraid of finding/causing problems. The new dining room wall on the other side of the desk/sink kitchen wall is brick, and there is a large radiator against that wall (love how radiators heat the house, hate how they take up space). The opening is all centered to the new dining room, so I wonder if it causes problems if we shift it down as you see into that dining room from kitchen and from living room. I do think we need to get an idea of what is entailed in moving radiators!

I do love the command center unit! That is perfect for what we need.

We love the idea of wood on the island. That said, we have 3 kids and a very busy kitchen and I do not know if we are up to the task of caring for wood appropriately. Sometimes (like today) I come home to find crumbs scattered and jam spilled on our current island and its been sitting there a while. Of course ideally everyone would always clean up right away, but it unfortunately does not happen that way all the time here. Design wise and as far as weight/over hang issues wood is our clear choice. Like the idea of a mix with quartz on the work area.

The curved island is very interesting, as I can see how that would make it more "social" friendly space. Really like that, not sure I have seen a lot of pics like that so Houzz here I come.

I would like a big clean up sink, and see how bringing it out of the corner helps with space. If we can't move the doorway, do you think we could use a 36 cabinet with a 33 sink along the top wall and make that line of cabinets 90 degree turn (lazy susan type) instead of corner unit? The dishwasher would still be on the main range wall, but maybe we could move it closer to the end of the run? Or is it a really bad idea to have sink on one wall and dishwasher on the other even if they are very close?

Thanks again so very much!