Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Single Door Fridge - Need Recommendations

gilmoregal
15 years ago

After reading some of the posts about French Door vs SXS vs Single door refrigerators and considering the layout of my kitchen, I have decided that a single door will work best for our family. Now I would love to get input from those of you who have single door models.

--I want large capacity (at least 24 cu ft) with fridge capacity being more important to me than freezer capacity (we have an upright freezer in the utility room.)

--I am still on the fence between top and bottom freezer, so would look at either option.

--Do not want ice in the door; no strong preference between interior or in-door water dispenser.

--Current fridge is 33" wide, but we are planning a remodel, so I could go wider if necessary.

--Love the idea of counter depth, but don't want to sacrifice interior capacity, so I think I will probably have to go with full depth. If there are any CD models with interior capacity similar to FD, I'd love to know.

Have started to check the various mfr websites to see what is available, but I would really appreciate hearing some first hand experiences (good or bad) as I narrow down my choices. Thanks so much.

Comments (7)

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Should have said:
    At least 22 cu ft. capacity

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

the best place to go is ajmadison.com - they have a very nice sorting feature and they have all the manufacturers spec guides right there.

i have a 36" built in GE Monogram - it broke completely within 3 months of owning it so obviously I cannot recommend it. good luck

• davidro1
    15 years ago

you've a thousand options. Single-door, top-freezer is the lowest cost. Bottom-freezer price has come below $1000.

Any other requirements?

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mamadadapaige - Thanks for recommending ajmadison.com. I had not thought of that and will check it out.

davidro1 - You are right - there ARE many options. I am hoping to narrow down those options by getting recommendations (or warnings) from people on this forum who have single door models. I'm not sure that I have any other requirements than the ones I mentioned. My current fridge is an old 21.6 cu ft top-freezer (KA). I want the next one to have at least as much square footage - and a little more would be fine. For budget reasons, free-standing instead of built-in.
    Local appliance dealer recommended the Maytag MBR2556KES, but he did not have one in stock, and neither the Maytag website nor his manual showed a picture of the inside configuration. Would not want to order it without being able to see the inside. Sent an email to Maytag hoping that they could provide pic.
    Also noticed the GE Profile PDSS5NBXRSS on the GE webiste and thought it might work. However, I am concerned about repair history and the fact that GE is trying to sell off its appliance division.
    So I am open to any/all input to help me make my decision...

• caryscott
    15 years ago

My Mom has the 1956KES. So far so good, the compressor makes a soft pinging noise, it seems to be operating fine so it may be something characteristic of the compressor, it isn't a big deal (I keep meaning to check the ice machine which isn't connected as it may account for the noise). I'm not sure how the larger size will differ but I can get her to take some shots tomorrow of the inside if you would like. She really likes the bottom freezer with the pull out drawers. I like having the no tip feet at the front which keep the fridge in place and are easy to adjust if you ever needed to move it.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

No tip feet! How wonderful. My fridge (a Frigidaire top freezer) doesn't seem to have these, and the fridge rolls forward every time I open the door. My appliance dealer (PC Richard in NYC) is sending someone next Sunday to take a look at it...

Otherwise I love the fridge, and I'm glad I stuck with a top freezer model instead of the bottom freezer I was considering. Makes it easier to access the icemaker in the freezer. I *love* having an icemaker! Never had one before. Drinking lots of ice water now, even though it's the middle of January and freezing outside! ;-)

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

I have been waiting for the new single door, bottom freezer CD Kithenaid and have been told it can be ordered now (this is their V series replacing their T series). It is only 20 cu.ft. though. The number is klbs20ev. Not showing up on the internet much or even on their website but just went into an appliance dealer in Madison, Wi. on Fri. and he said he could get it in this week. I have had KA before and feel they are reliable. There are really only 2 if you want CD, KA or GE. Best price I've gotten so far is about $2140.00. I really don't want the French doors either, but they sure are hot now.