Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcvoigt

Silgranit sink older than 5 years?

dcvoigt
15 years ago

I know everyone raves about the silgranit blanco sinks, but before I commit to having our quartz countertops cut for an undermount silgranit or granit swanstone, I am wondering if there are any of you who have had these sinks longer than about 5 years. I am considering the biscuit color (whaterver they call that) and wonder about the staining after this long. Most sinks should be great in their first few years but it is after use that they start to loose thier finish and start to have staining issues. How long have they been out there?

I am also considering the Kohler cast iron, but people say cast iron shows every time it is in contact with pans. I don't have cast iron pans but just the normal ones that I prefer to hand wash.

I really don't want stainless steel--been there, done that.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (9)

• buildinginva
    15 years ago

My mom has had her biscuit Silgranit sink for about 4 years and it looks great. She cleans it with whatever cleaner she has handy (Ajax, Lysol with bleach, etc.) and all the signs of coffee, wine etc. disappear.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Ours is metallic grey Silgranit. We've had it for 3.5 years. It gets used 3 times a day and perhaps once a month or so I scrub the bottom with Barkeepers Friend to take away any hint of discoloration.

-Babka

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else, Has anyone had the swanstone granite for years? Maybe there are even other brands of this granite composite.

• steve_o
    15 years ago

I have had a white Moenstone granite-composite sink for 5-6 years now. It does stain, but never permanently. I'm sure it would be easier to clean if I were willing to use bleach or other powerhouse chemicals. But Bon Ami works on most stains right away, and oxygen bleach or denture cleaner sitting overnight pretty much takes care of anything else.

• mondragon
    15 years ago

I have a blanco silgranit in white. I wouldn't get white again. I love the size (I have the 1 3/4) and maybe other materials would be the same, but while it cleans up easily with barkeeper's friend, there is discoloration (it's general so I won't call it staining) that has slightly darkened the bottom area around the drain. When I've got company coming, I scrub it well then use bleach and hot water and let that sit. It doesn't look dirty or gross, it's just not evenly white and nothing seems to change it. It's also roughed up around the drain and I think that will have to be sanded off.

I might buy a silgranit again, but not white.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just ordered the Silgranit double diamond in biscuit. I hope it is going to be easier to keep clean than my old white Swanstone compsite. I did order a sink grid for the side I use so I think that will help.

Thank you to all that replied.
    Cindy

• pew1
    15 years ago

We have two in biscuit, going on 4 years. They look as good as when they were new.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I have a black Moen granite composite sink. Installed in Nov 04 so it's just over 4 years old. Nary a problem with it yet. I love it.

• startbright
    15 years ago

Not to steal this thread, but I'm considering silgranit too. So, is silgranit much better in terms of stains (same color) than an iron cast sink?