Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perplexedinny

Show me your mini-brick backsplash...

perplexedinny
16 years ago

I'm about to pull the trigger on a polished marble minibrick in Calacatta Gold. We have come to call it the million-dollar backsplash. I'm afraid of making an expensive mistake. Do you like yours? Do you find it to be too busy?? DH says I second guess everything and I suppose this is my time to second guess this!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (39)

• alku05
    16 years ago

Ours is a honed white venatino 1" x 2":

The only thing I might worry about in your situation is behind the range. The polished tile may show etch marks if acidic splatters get on it, and my tomato sauces aways sputter. Perhaps a feature behind the range in a different or honed tile might be a good decision.

• ging9
    16 years ago

I don't have the mini brick backsplash you are looking for, but I have a helpful hint regarding alku05's comment about the backsplash. My tile guy once told me that one of his customers had a beautiful stone backsplash and he said it looked so clean after all the years she had it. She loved to cook being italian, and especially tomato sauces. her trick was to use painters blue tape to put up a sheet of foil behind her cooking surface so it protected her backsplash and was a cinch to clean up. Just thought it was a great idea for all these stone backsplashes that are so popular.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

We don't have ours in yet but this is a 2" x various lengths Quartzite Brick called Fire and Ice. It also have scattered glass pieces in gray and rust. Can't wait to see it installed!

{{gwi:1565829}}

Jodi-

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Here's ours -- Travertine mini-bricks with inlaid leaves:

• perplexedinny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Your backsplashes are beautiful. Alku05...yours look quite similar to what we're considering, albeit in the honed finish. How has the honed stone behind your range weathered your splatters??

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

Ours are really small (1/2 x 3/4"). Tumbled laguna verde marble. The ones we wanted (1x3") were out of stock at the time and time was a factor.

{{gwi:1598160}}

{{gwi:1598161}}

• alku05
    16 years ago

Our backsplash has performed perfectly behind the range, spaghetti sauce splatters and all. We sealed it with a good stone sealer (miracle 511) and everything just wipes right off. I haven't noticed any etching, but our marble is white and the surface is honed, which is good at hiding etch spots if they do occur.

• ovenbird
    16 years ago

We have honed crema marfil 2x4's. Lots of spaghetti sauce, oil, and other splashes with no problems...wipes off whether same day or weeks later. Our kitchen has been finished for a while, but the only picture I have is an in-progress one.

• ccat
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are some beautiful blacksplashes!!

Jodi, I am especially interested in yours! ;)
    Where are you getting that Quartzite Brick called Fire and Ice? The extra grey/rust pieces; are those your design or did you find it that way in your choosing?

Thanks so much!! Gorgeous pics, everyone!!

ccat

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I responded to CCAT via email but I might as well post the answer here as well in case someone else wants more info on the Fire and Ice.

We are getting it through our kitchen designer. If you want her name and number let me know. The name of the tile designer is Jeffrey Court and he is here in California. On his web site you can find the brick under Products: Chapter 9: Pietra Opus: Quartz Brick Fire and Ice. It's about $14-16 a sq. ft.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court Chapter 9 Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire & Ice

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Jodi - thanks for that link. i really like that for a backsplash

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Jodi,

Thanks a LOT! And that was meant in a Oh GREAT, now something else to drool over! WOW!

We are planning, (have the ledgestone sample on my granite counter as we speak) to do a very similar stone around our fireplace- and I was thinking of perhaps doing the backsplash on the beverage centre which is closest to the Living Room and FP with the same stone. DH is worried about wiping up spills (like he has ever wiped up something off a BS!), but whatever, how are you anticipating wiping that up? Will a sealer do the trick?

• linda-z
    16 years ago

Here's mine. It's honey onyx. Haven't grouted it yet. I will. Just can't figure out what color grout to use to keep it looking bright and rich!

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

Mine isn't a mini-brick, technically, but it's similar to Jodi's so I thought I'd post it. It's called Fallingwater slate in Moss Green by Stone and Pewter Accents.

(Linda, I love your honey onyx...I almost changed my mind about the slate after I saw your backsplash on previous thread!)

• divamum
    16 years ago

Here's mine. Came pre-set on sheets from Lowes - I believe it's called Cicero:

• perplexedinny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow. I'm almost sorry I asked. One after the next has me drooling. And, of course, second guessing myself. ksfaustin....have you had any maintenance issues with that beautiful slate???

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

linda-z,... your honey onyx is beyond beautiful? Do you know who manufactures the onyx mini brick and does it come in other colors? What type/color countertop did you pair it with ? It's hard to make out on my monitor.

• sojay
    16 years ago

Ahhh! I love the look of a uniform texture like all the ones above. There's something very timeless and elegant about it. Compliments to all of you!

• gthigpen
    16 years ago

Ovenbird - where did you find your Crema Marfil 2x4's? I've only been able to find 1 x 2's. It think I like the bigger tile a tad better. Thanks!

Beautiful backsplashes everyone! This was exactly the thread I was looking for to nudge me over the edge to do a mini-brick backsplash.

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

Perplexedinny, I've sealed it twice with Aquamix Sealer's Choice Gold, and I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't splattered it with spaghetti sauce though (yet)...I'm not sure if it would stand up to that or not.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Ksfaustin - Extremely nice !!!

I am curious what color your other walls and floor are. I really would like to go with that type of small slate tile you posted - but wondering how it mixes in your overall color scheme

thanks

• alku05
    16 years ago

Kfaustin, beautiful! I wanted to do slate tile but my DH really wanted white. Well, he wanted white ceramic so I did get him to bugde a little bit.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Ksfaustin, is your slate enhanced or just sealed?

Jodi-

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

Berryberry, my walls are SW "Believable Buff", a nice warm neutral. My floors are a slate-look porcelain with shades of green, gray, and brown. My granite is honed Typhoon green. Sometimes I'm afraid I went overboard on the green, but it's my favorite color - and Mother Nature's neutral - and somehow it works for me.

Alku, I've admired your kitchen for ages, so your compliment means a lot to me. And I LOVE your marble backsplash. It's perfect for your kitchen.

Jodi, my slate is not enhanced. I tested an enhancing sealer on some of my samples, but ultimately decided that I prefered the lighter, silvery-gray-green of the unenhanced slate.

I haven't posted any finished kitchen pics yet, because I don't feel finished and also because none of the photos I've taken do things justice, but here are a couple more to help Berryberry see the overall color scheme.

• ovenbird
    16 years ago

greta17: We couldn't find honed crema marfil 2x4's either, so we had the stone guys cut them from the 12x12's we used in the masterbath. They did a great job and we have skinny grout lines. We did find polished 2x4's but really wanted honed. Good luck!

• berryberry
    16 years ago

ksfaustin - thanks for the info on other colors and pics. You have a very nice kitchen

• slc2053
    16 years ago

jodi in so cal...I can't wait to see your backsplash..do post as soon as it's in...I love that look...I love ksfaustin as well and we came soooooo close to putting in the falling water slate...but stuck with our original plan of installing WZ stacked slate...It's been in for a few months and NO SEALER YET! I know, we're crazy but I just couldn't decide what I wanted...70/30 we want it natural (as opposed to enhanced) as we too like the natural look of it..plus the enhanced darkens it so much ..our counters are uba tuba and our cabs are med-dark maple stained and our floors are a dark slate look-a-like..that I don't want another dark element in the room..I have the sealer ready to go...just wanted to live with it awhile...BTW..the backsplash isn't meant to be grouted either! We grouted a few of the larger gaps...but left the rest as is...

Here is our sample....

Here it is going in....

Here it is now....

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

SLC, looks like we have similar tastes! Here is a mock-up I did (using PowerPoint) last week of the Fire & Ice backsplash installed. I too love that ragged look on the end.

Not exactly sure what we're going to do behind the cooktop so I just put a placeholder image there for now.

I won't decide until the tile arrives whether or not we're going to seal or enhance but I do know it requires grout.

{{gwi:1598176}}
    Jodi-

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Jodi,
    Do you know if samples of the Fire and Ice can be ordered? I live in Florida and wonder if anyone local has it.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

RemodelFla, I'm checking with my kitchen designer, will let you know when she calls me back.

Jodi-

• slc2053
    16 years ago

perplexedinny...you sound so much like us. We tire of things so quickly..that is what made this remodel so difficult..spending so much $ on things we know we'll tire of...but you've got to decide. Heck, we rearrange bedrooms and living rooms yearly...just for a change of pace!

Can you do a mock-up like Jodi showed us earlier on this thread? We did a mock-up of several backsplashes and it helped us to pick ours. It's never exact, but can sure give you an idea on what to do..can you post any pics???

Jodi...it's going to be beautiful...

• linda-z
    16 years ago

Wow, such beautiful backsplashes. Remodelfla, sorry about the late response to your question. The tile is golden honey onyx brick and comes from onyx france-- www.onyxfrance.com. My granite is Candeias Green or Verde de Candeias.

And Kfaustin, yours is gorgeous.
    Hope this helps!

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Fire and Ice... Golden Onyx... CHA-CHING!!! I need a second job and maybe a second home so a can do a little of everything I seem to love. Everytime I think I find something I will love forever I find something else to tempt me. Dead set on Engineered Quartz now I want soapstone with wild white veining. I flip flop like one of those jumping beans (aging myself) that were popular when I was a kid. HOw many times am I going to change my mind before April-summer when I actual begin this project?

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

RemodelFla, my kitchen designer suggests first checking with your contractor or designer if you're using one and see if they can get a sample for you to have or borrow.

If that doesn't work, go to the Jeffrey Court web site and locate the nearest Jeffrey Court dealer to you. I don't know where in FL you are but I plugged in an Orlando zip code and got two hits:

TRINITY DESIGN CTR-WINTER PK
    976 N. ORANGE AVE
    WINTER PARK, FL 32789
    Montage Dealer
    phone: (407) 6297447

TRINITY TILE GRP - ORLANDO
    4337 DARDANELLE DRIV
    ORLANDO, FL 32808
    Montage Dealer
    phone: (407) 5216655

If you're still having trouble getting a sample, let me know, my designer can get one for you but would charge the per sq. ft. cost of the tile plus shipping.

Jodi-

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Jodi,
    I live just west of Ft. Lauderdale and found a dealer about 35 minutes from here in Palm Beach County. When I get samples of some soapstone (what I THINK I'm going to get) I will go up there and take a look. I"m really drawn toward the mini brick in the slate with glass and also the onyx. The mini brick is a little bit of a differnt look from the square tile and I love glass so it may blend the best of both for me. Thank you SO much for taking the time and going to the trouble of checking this out for me. You are so kind and thoughtful. I'm telling you... this forum is absolutely THE BEST!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

No problem at all RemodelFla, that's what these forums are all about.

Jodi-

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bumping .... to keep from faling off

• christen7
    15 years ago

Love all the pic's! New to the website-it's wonderful!! Planning on using 1/2"x1" Jerusalem gold mini bricks for backsplash but still REALLY want to do 'frame' above range. What would you put inside the frame? I really love rhomboids (not sure if I can track any down or if they would like alright w/mini bricks...). Need your help-DH is sick of all my obsessing!!!!