Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oasisowner

What do these kitchens have in common?

oasisowner
9 years ago

So many beautiful kitchen on this site! We are finally planning our remodel, so I looked at the kitchens I have saved as favorites and I cannot pick out what they have in common, other than certain colors I like - yellow and green - but some are not yellow or green, and I must admit, I also LOVE the OTK.

Yellow kitchens:

2LittleFishies http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222274329904.html

Thynes' http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg102211559851.html

Green kitchens:

Brooklyngalley http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0516324013092.html

Sixtyohno http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1210270527481.html

Other:

Mamagoose http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1120091114522.html

Deedles http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0101360412529.html%3F76

Julia Child http://americanhistory.si.edu/food/julia-childs-kitchen . We saw this at the Smithsonian. I just noticed - green cabinets!

Comments (18)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Fishies

Thynes'

Brooklyn

Sixtyohno

mama_goose

deedles

Julia Childs

Thank you for including my kitchen--I'm honored to be in such creative company.The links might make it easier for everyone else to compare.

• annac54
    9 years ago

Take a look at each one and write down specifically what you like about each one. You may find out what they have in common that way.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I went back and looked at the other kitchen threads again. (Of course, the drool is barely dry on my computer, since deedles just posted hers.)

Most of them, including mine, have a vintage 20s-30s feel, and/or collected style. And they have something green. ;)

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 18:09

• crl_
    9 years ago

All lovely!

I find that if I pull two dozen kitchen pictures I like, there are a few outliers, but the majority have white painted cabinets. You may find that if you grab another ten or twenty pictures a trend emerges even though not every picture fits the pattern.

I noticed most of your pictures have wood floors. Most have a solid color (not white) backsplash. And many have a peninsula or island and nice windows.

You may also be able to find a direction by looking at the pictures you like and seeing which fit your house, either in architecture or in overall decorating style, the best.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

2LittleFishies
    {{gwi:2136451}}
    {{gwi:2136452}}

Thynes
    {{gwi:2136453}}

{{gwi:2136454}}

Brooklyn

Sixtyohno

Mamagoose

Deedles

{{gwi:2135125}}

{{gwi:2135128}}

Julia Childs

{{gwi:2136457}}

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Well, you like warm colors. None of these are grey or blue or stark white. Clearly you like both yellow and green especially. So either one would work for you.

Though you like color, you clearly like just one per kitchen. Each of these has only one non-neutral color, and it's deployed on just one thing. The stove or the backsplash or the cabinets, but only one thing has color. Everything else in the kitchen is a neutral.

You like simple, clean lines. Nothing ornate or staggered height cabinets or anything like that. Lots of straight lines and simple cabinet faces.

You like solid blocks of color. Nothing patterned.

You like more informal kitchens. You aren't going for drama or chandeliers or shiny polished sparkle stuff. Matte, homey, etc. is more your style.

You like natural wood mixed with painted cabinets.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Jillius - you're good. I like these things, too. Interesting.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I see light and airy, uncluttered, (with the exception of Julia's) natural light from windows, with a vintage feel of homes we (boomers) grew up in.
    These are not over the top "notice me" kitchens, I see personalities in all of them that tell me the cook/owner had more to do with the ultimate design than a KD.
    I could be right at home cooking in any of them...Chris

• magsnj
    9 years ago

I know exactly what I think of all these kitchens.... it's exactly what I tried to capture in my blue kitchen, and once I identified what it was it made my choices so much easier. For me (and maybe what you see is something different), I would be happy in any of these kitchens..... and when I say happy I'm talking about the mood, not a feeling of satisfaction, but a real, genuine lifting of my spirits. Once I realized that every time I went in my kitchen I wanted it to be a happy place that made me whistle while I worked, it made all of my decisions come into place. Each and every kitchen that you posted would elicit that feeling from me.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

First, I think this is a great exercise. It's a great way to identify things that you like.

My take on it:

You like charming, cottage, nostalgic, with a vintage feel. You like white . . . but not stark unadultrated white; these kitchens are somewhat warmer than today's trends. You like kitchens that show a bit of personality -- none of these are copycat trendy kitchens. Most of them include a place to sit down IN the kitchen. I see pendent light fixtures in about half the rooms, but not the same trendy light fixtures that we see everywhere. I see plenty of drawers and storage, but not fancy pull-outs. What I don't see in these cabinets is a mis-matched look and open shelves. I see moderation in the use of glass-front cabinets.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 20:39

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, keep the analysis coming. I've been in a bit of the same quandary as oasisowner. My dozens of inspiration kitchens seem so different without a unifying thread. But all your explanations have made me understand that I'm not assessing them accurately. This is quite helpful.

• deedles
    9 years ago

This is a great thread. How interesting. I agree with all the takes on why these kitchens appeal and I esp. agree with mags that whatever the physical elements in said kitchens, the end result is the feeling you get from the combination of elements.

And I'm also honored to have mine included in such wonderful company.

• Liz
    9 years ago

I'm seeing quiet spaces - not a lot of movement in the materials, and no glitzy accents. The colors are organic- remind me of nature. Not very stark bright white or very dark. All the spaces feel homey rather than showy. Comfortable.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

WELCOME, and COMFORT

• oasisowner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you all - mamagoose and Jillius for fixing links and pics and all of you for your observations & suggestions. It is amazing what you all saw that I did not! I never noticed the lack of pattern, the solid color backsplashes, and a lot of other things you mentioned.

I do like uncluttered ctycdm, but seldom achieve it. I do want kitchen seating Mrs. Pete - we live in our kitchen. Organic, natural, light, airy, informal, wood, and solid colors are all good descriptors I will keep in mind. Thank you again!

• oasisowner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deedles, a question - do you have the solid surface backsplash behind your range?

• deedles
    9 years ago

No, getting the material in 1/4" thickness (so the tile wouldn't look like it was in a hole) cost a bunch more so we just put up wallboard, plastered and then painted with a super-durable washable paint.

{{gwi:2136458}}
    {{gwi:2136459}}

IMO the tile looks better on the plaster wall then it would have in a shiny, solid surface wall so it was a serendipitous occurrence after all.

• oasisowner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks great and love those tiles!