Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katienic_gw

Poll - Dark Cabs w black appliances - island color?

katienic
15 years ago

Please chime in with suggestions. :)

What I do with the island will influence my granite choice.

Kitchen: 20 x 14

Galley layout with island in the middle (about 32 inches wide)

Cabinets are to be maple stained dark walnut/fir tone (not expresso or black, but definitely dark)

Appliances chosen are Jenn-Air floating glass in Black - wanted them to blend not pop.

Island - toss up between

1. Same as cabinets

2. Same as cabinets, but with a black glaze to mix it up a little

3. Paint it out an accent color

Granite - flip flopping between something on the Giallo Ornamental side or more of the Persian White - Romano Blanco.

I like movement, but not too much. I like light, but not with a yellow tone. I like dark, but afraid of overdoing 'dark'.

Good window light during the day. A good mix of lighting being planned.

Whew, hope this wasn't too much crammed in to one post!

Comments (14)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

At first, I put the glaze option in last place, but after some thought, I think I'm favoring it most. It will have a little extra drama and some difference without being a big contrast or trying to steal the show.

I like the idea of the light granite. Isn't Giallo Ornamental goldish? I'm not too familiar with the other choices. (I'm not up on all the names) How about something like Bianco Romano...a little bit of movement, but with some dark or black to connect with the glaze and dark wood? And no yellow. But maybe that and Romano Blanco are the same?

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL rhome. Boy did I goof up that one...yes indeed I did mean Bianco Romano. I don't have a sample home of the BR, but do have a sample of the Giallo Ornamental and it is warm with a bit of yellow to it but not as gold looking as the Venetian Gold type. I loved the look of Stormy Night, but fear it would be too 'big' in movement and would likely make my relatively narrow kitchen too busy looking.

Thanks for replying. I've been leaning toward the glazed so I can't help being a tad bit pleased that the first message came in on that side. :)

Truly though I don't want to stack the deck and am appreciative of all suggestions and viewpoints.

kn

• rhome410
    15 years ago

And, for what it's worth, I am usually an anti-glaze person!

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

Hi Katienic,

We just finished having our walls painted in the kitchen this week and I happen to have a few photos that might help. We definitely have dark cherry cabinets and black appliances. My kitchen island is the same dark cherry as the cabinets. I was concerned about the room looking too dark when we started the remodel but I think it turned out fairly well with the amount of window light we have plus the white door and window trim.

Our granite is from Brazil and called El Dorado. It matches the tones of the cabinets well but I don't feel it darkens the room too much.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

lmalm53, that looks like a kitchen out of a book or magazine! VERY elegant. Love the table and chairs and the fireplace.

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lmalm53, thank you so much for posting your photos. Your kitchen is beautiful. Your granite is absolutely gorgeous! I think your cabinets are similar in depth of color as to what I will have so it is really nice to be able to see them with the black. I like too how you have that punch of paint color around the windows; oh how I wish I could replace my windows (just not in the budget right now).
    I notice you have a telescoping vent for your cook top. How do you like it?

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

I love my Thermador Induction Cooktop and the popup vent! My space in the island was a very tight fit to get both the cooktop and the vent in a 30" cabinet but we did it and it works great! Thermador has two different popup vent models and I chose the 14 inch high model versus the 10 inch model for better coverage of the steam when cooking. I did not go with the remote blower so mine is installed in the island under the cooktop which makes it a little noisy on the highest speed, but I don't mind it. I know a ceiling vent hood would be more powerful and efficient but I did not want to clutter up my view from the island. This setup works just fine for me.

• boystown
    15 years ago

Very nice kitchen. Love all of your choices. Would you mind sharing with me the color and brand of your walls. They look stunning with your cherry cabinets

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

Thanks gagesgranny. The primary kitchen wall color was using the formula for Restoration Hardware's Saffron color but we used Behr paint from Home Depot. They mixed Behr's Pastel Base Interior Flat Enamel with the Saffron color formula. The Burgundy accent color around the windows was Behr's Currant Jam mixed with Behrs Deep Base Interior Flat Enamel. We used that same burgundy color for our kitchen powder room and it really looks elegant. The wood door and window trim was Behr's Calla Lily color mixed with their Ultra Pure White Semi Gloss Enamel Base.

Sorry Katienic, I didn't mean to hijack your thread here :)

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not hijacked at all lmalm53. I was going to ask the same question about your paint. Currant Jam sounds yummy! LOL.

Pop-up Vent: I was looking at one that was only 7" high and figured the value of it was definitely reduced to frying pan level. That's good to know there are 14" ones out there. :)

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

Ok bumping this up because Katienic needs more votes on her original post question. What should she do with her island finish and what granite suggestions for her dark cabs and black appliances?

• tsherman
    15 years ago

I also lean towards the all the same color camp. I love some of the kitchens with the accent island, but I do worry it will be a trend, and I know some people don't like it so for resale it may not be a great solution. (I know it's a balance between what you love and what will work long term, but since you're asking for other's opinions...) Glaze can look nice, but I only like it if it's really subtle, and if it's really subtle, you may not even notice the difference between the island and the cabinets. I think with dark cabs and light/white granite there will be enough contrast I wouldn't worry about making the island stand out too.
    Just my $.02! Good luck!

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Same. I have some fears that a glaze would make the other cabinets or the island just look off - like the factory was having a bad day.

I would only go to the expense of paint if there was a "view" of the island - meaning the long direction faced an open space. If it's mostly seen as a single 30" wide end, I don't think I'd spend the money on it.

If I did have a view, natural or honey maple would be my choice - but I love that combination of colors.

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input
    tsherman: Yes I would want it to be very subtle so you're right it would likely not be noticed.
    bmorepanic: It really won't be seen from any distance and certainly not from an open space, so really there is no view of the island.

I love this forum. You are all helping to take away that awful affliction called the 'second guessing syndrome'! SGS can stop you in your tracks & freeze you in indecision!