Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

cream cabinets and black hardware - is this a look?

cateyanne
15 years ago

I am thinking of a kitchen refresh, I won't call it a remodel because budget is too tight for that. I want to match my cabinetry to the woodwork in the house. All woodwork is now a rich cream. The previous cabinet color was white. There are also black accents throughout the house exterior in the form of wrought iron, kind of a Tuscan look. I thought black hardware would look nice, husband thinks I can just paint the old black to save money. I don't know about the counter material or color, it is now 1940's tiny hexagon tile in white. Walls are about 1/3 from ceiling painted and 2/3 from floor white square tiles, which I want to remove. Everyone I have told my cabinet and hardware color to think it is a weird choice. I cannot find pictures to support the picture in my head. Anyone know of any or have seen this? Is it a good look? What would you do for counter top? And flooring? This is all DIY.

Comments (16)

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Have you seen ndvweb's kitchen? She has cream cabs with what I think is ORB hardware. I don't think it's black, but it might help you get a visual. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0111551226467.html?29

I would LOVE to see a pic of your existing kitchen before you redo it. Does it have the original cabinets? It sounds quite charming. :o)

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I think many people choose dark hardware to match dark countertops. I've ordered chosen cream cabinets with soapstone counters for the renovated kitchen in my old house. I am looking at dark hardware, not black, but a pretty dark old-rubbed bronze.

I'd love to see pictures of your kitchen, too. Maybe you don't want to rip out too much (even though I'm ripping out my old cabs, I feel bad about it). Maybe you have a wood floor under the tiles? I have pine floors that match the rest of my house under at least 4 sheets of vinyl.

Have you perused the Finished Kitchens Blog? Search under soapstone and absolute black granite kitchens.

Good Luck!

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I think you really need to know counter choice before deciding on hardware. If you had a black and white kitchen with cream cabinets and black counter, the black hardware would fit in better than than if you went with another color counter. Esp. for example, soapstone counter and wrought iron look hardware. Black also fits in an anitque or period kitchen where wrought iron would have been used originally, but probably not so much in a 1970s - present traditional kitchen. I can see it being very sleek in a modern or contemporary kitchen with a black and white theme. But going with black hardware in a house with a Tuscan exterior might only work if the kitchen has been done in a Tuscan theme as well. You really can't match hardware to the exterior of the house if it doesn't match the interior of the kitchen. I wonder if that is why you are getting those odd looks. A photo of your current kitchen and knowing the countertop would make it or break it. I would consider putting them with inset door period cabinets but probably NOT raised panel traditional or colonial or arched panel cabinets. If you are just doing a refresh and not a remodel then you really have to work within the style you already have, and some are more versatile than others.

JMHO

Sue

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I've seen quite a few kitchens with cream cabinets, black hardware, and soapstone counters. Spray painting the old hardware black works, if you want to save money.

Here's the link to the FKB, and the picture on the front of it has such a kitchen. Another is orchidluvr's kitchen.

• november
    15 years ago

I have cream cabs, dark bronze (ORB) hardware, and matte black countertops. Not original, but so peaceful and pretty - I love it! My kitchen is in the FKB - November's Kitchen.

• cimmaryn
    15 years ago

mdmc -- is your glaze on the whole cabinet, or just in the detailing? Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! If I were doing my own home, I would want it to look just like yours!

Kimberly

• mdmc
    15 years ago

cimmaryn- the glaze is only in the details. I love the fact that they don't show little dings and dents. I would get them again in a heart beat.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My kitchen is a 1940's throwback. The house has not been updated much over the years, though I am aware of a partial remodel of the bath and attic in the 60's. The cabinets run to the ceiling, they are flat doors and quite tall and deep, unlike a lot of the newer ones I've seen in stores. the hardware is all art deco, empire state building look, which I like as well, but is in in a shiny silver tone. I don't mind the 40's style, and it is very charming. Back then they didn't have a lot of cabinetry and I need more, as well as counter space and the little hexagon tile counter top is a real pain to keep clean. the kitchen is almost completely white and although this looks quaint, I need more color.
    As far as Tuscan style. I may have misspoke, it is Italian built, but not the romantic Tuscany that is so popular in decorators magazines. It is a brick house with wrought iron features and stone accents. No golden plaster walls and terracotta tile roofs here, unfortunately. I do have black accents in the living room decor, so I think it will be a good mix. I do like the oil rubbed bronze, it is practically as dark as black only softer.
    mdmc, your kitchen is just beautiful, I do really like the counter tops there seems to be a very dark, almost black spots throughout or is that just lighting? Is it mostly tans and browns?
    Thank you everyone for the pictures, I did not even know there was a finished kitchens blog!

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

Go to the "Read me if you are new..." thread. There's a link to the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB). Also instructions for posting links to your photos.

• kgsmom
    15 years ago

we also have white cabs, soapstone and ORB cabinet hardware and I love how it looks still 2 years later :-)
    I'm in the FKB and you can also see my photobucket site

Here is a link that might be useful: kgsmom's kitchen

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow what great pics! kgsmom, can I ask what the red sign is over your sink?

• equest17
    15 years ago

I think your color scheme sounds really nice. If you want to paint and reuse your original hardware, you might try Rustoleum's oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I used it on my (new) hardware that wasn't quite the right color. It is a very dark ORB, almost black, not the lighter reddish brown some bronze is. It sprays really well and has a very realistic metallic look, neither matte nor an overly shiny "painted" look.

Sarah

• kgsmom
    15 years ago

thanks cateyann-I do LOVE my kitchen- wouldn't change a thing. The red sign is a Julia Childs quote- "the only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook" :-)
    words to live by at my house!

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a fabulous quote, I love it! Thanks so much equest, for the tip on paint, I'll try that.

• kittymerr
    15 years ago

I have cream cabinets with ORB hardware from RH and I love how it ties my soapstone countertops in. I have pictures posted of the dark hardware and an antique pewter which is what I originally purchased. You can see them both in the link below. The Antique pewter is in the older post. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy white Kitchen with ORB hardware