Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandylandy

kitchen corner cabinet: lazy susan or magic corner pull-out?

dandylandy
13 years ago

Which of these would you or did you choose and why?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Magic corner for us, because it made the space on the opposite side of the corner more usable. (Lazy susans need some space on both sides, so in our small kitchen, we could only fit large pot drawers in by going the blind corner route, which concentrates the corner access on one side of the L.) I like the magic corner solution---seems to hold a lot! Wish we'd had room to do the one that doesn't attach to the door, though. Ah, well.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

My bottom diagonals are not as wonderful as I expected. I didn't want a lazy susan. Is it possible to put one of thoe corner pull outs in a diagonal?

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

I have the Le Mans, otherwise known as the peanut thingy. We like it quite a bit. I keep mostly small appliances on it:

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I've had two corner susans, and they're fantastic for holding pots and pans. For efficiency, you want the kind with the door built into the pie, so you just push and it turns in one step.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I have drawers.

• cabinfo
    13 years ago

Those corner susans that marcolo mentions don't quite look like the rest of the kitchen, unless you've got inset doors all around.
    I think these are the ticket:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blind Corner with Chrome Pullout

• cheri127
    13 years ago

We had a super susan and I really liked it but then again, I really don't like fiddling with pull outs of any kind.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OP here! Wow, thank you all so much! These are very useful ideas to show our kitchen guys.

Honeychurch, how did you guys pick the Le Mans over the magic corner - is it a space issue?

I love seeing how many kitchen electrics you fit on it, as that is what I plan to put in my blind corner, too! :-)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Hi dandylandy,

To be honest we chose it because our cabinet maker said he had the best luck with it. He said he used to specify lazy susans, but had a few complaints (he didn't go into a lot of detail about what they were, I think it was stuff falling off) so he switched to these.

I'd never had anything in my blind corner cabinets before (just a dark cave) so this is a huge improvement! I have two--the other one holds more small electronics on the bottom shelf and mugs on the top shelf (it is under the coffee maker, easier for the kids to reach for hot chocolate and tea).

Seems to me it really depends what you are putting on these things, susan/peanut/magic corner whatever. Lighter taller things may be more apt to fall off. I don't believe my appliances will, but I don't think they'd fall off a lazy susan either.

Sorry if that is absolutely no help whatsoever.

• puppeez
    13 years ago

I'm putting in the same as honeychurch -the peanut thingy. It gets installed Monday, so I don't have any experience with it yet. Like artemis, I didn't have room on both sides of the corner for a lazy susan. I had one just like Marcolo shows, and I really really hated that thing because it was too easy to catch your fingers when swinging it around. If you want one, I'd look at the super susan with 2 doors.

• dandylandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is so-o-o-o helpful. We were just told the corner susan is out, b/c we will only have one door. The Le mans peanut-thingy looks fantastic, but our kitchen is so small (an apartment) that the cabinet maker thinks the door wouldn't open wide enough to make it useful. He is pushing the magic corner like Artemis78 has, b/c he thinks it is better if the door pulls out and gets out of the way. It opens less than 90 degrees to the left (b/c my range is there and the range handle sticks out) and it could open to the right, but that is the direction that the racks have to pull into the room, so the door would block the racks. :-( Wish he could have explained this earlier.

Artemis78, please let us know asap how you like it if you start to put things in even before your kitchen is done!
    :-)

• jess_tn
    13 years ago

I had the things that artemis has. I liked them initially but then they started sticking and I really came to hate them, because I had to wrestle with them any time I wanted to get to something on one of the back shelves.

We just moved and I am planning on the lazy susan this time. The ones I have looked at are much more sturdy than the ones I saw several years ago, and I think a little loss of storage is worth the loss of hassle I had with the pull out shelves.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

This is one of mine. It's a Magic Corner II unit. The door is NOT attached to the unit. In fact the door opens one way, and the unit pulls out in the opposite direction.

The first part comes out in one piece from the cabinet but the part that then comes into the opening has drawers which can be pulled out individually.

Actually, we have two in separate corners. They use up all the space and nothing falls off. DH cut some masonite to cover the bottoms of the drawers so stuff wouldn't fall through.

We've had them for over three years now and they still work perfectly. No issues with them at all

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@dandylandy, we have really only played with it so far, but I will say it fits a lot and seems very sturdy. My only issue/concern with it is that it takes a good tug to pull it out (moves beautifully and smoothly, but needs a start) and I worry that this may wear on the door over time. However, we have painted frameless cabinets, so worst case scenario---we replace the door at some point down the road, which isn't hugely expensive. After some finagling, we did manage to get the handle mounted on the same side as the hardware so that it is pulling on the mechanism rather than on the opposite side of the door, if that makes sense.

I am curious about how the size of MC 1 and 2 compares, though. We skipped Magic Corner II becaue the specs said it needed a minimum opening of 19.5" and we only had 18". But MCI looks like it has enough space that if you were creative, you could attach a handle, set it slightly back into the cabinet, and have a traditional door on it, and it would still be able to operate. So if the dimensions on the two are the same (not sure they are?), you might get away with MC II in a smaller cabinet.

I liked the LeMans "peanut" one a lot too--the main reason we didn't choose it was that we missed the middle size by an inch of clearance, and would have had to get the tiny one, which didn't really give us any extra storage over just having a true blind corner.

Not sure that helps much--sorry! :)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

"...corner susans...don't quite look like the rest of the kitchen..."

Huh???? They looked just fine in our old kitchen w/partial overlay doors. Our lazy susan was the only thing in our kitchen that looked and performed as well at demo as it did at installation 13 years earlier. I wholeheartedly recommend corner susans.

As to stuff falling off, if your cabinets are made so the back and side walls closely follow the contour of the round shelves, there are no problems. However, I don't know if all cabinetmakers, especially small custom shops, are able to (or willing to) make them that way.

We had that kind (curved walls) in our old kitchen w/builder-grade cabinets...and that susan was great! It held all our pots & pans, colanders, cake & pie tins, and various serving pieces. Everything was in front...you simply rotated the susan, the doors rotated inside, and you stopped where the item you wanted was...and it was right in front of you...no digging around for things.
    Nothing ever fell off.
    The hardware worked smoothly the entire 13 years.
    No taking up aisle space in front of the cabinet when open.
    No door-banging b/c the door was attached to the susan (like Marcolo's picture).

Be aware that if you store smaller items on a blind corner pullout and something falls off, you will have to crawl inside to retrieve the item b/f you will be able to close it.

My KD strongly discourages blind corner cabinets b/c of all the complaints she's gotten from customers who insisted on them and then later regreted them. (I thought they looked "cool" the first time I saw them and asked about them. After she showed me how they work, told me about the pitfalls, and told me about all the complaints she's gotten, we decided not to get one.)

Other good uses of corners:
    Drawers (Plllog's kitchen)
    Corner sink bases (b/c under sink storage is usually poor so you combine them to give you better storage everywhere else.)
    Installing a 27" or 30" cabinet and turning it 90 degrees to face the back side of the corner...but this only works if the back side is open, like in a peninsula.

Yes, some people love their blind corner units, but, to me, they're a "last resort" option...only if absolutely nothing else works. YMMV

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

We have two Magic Corner units; for the sake of symmetry (because of sink placement in one corner) we went with the MC. We had a lazy susan in our old kitchen and I LOVED it - had really wanted to get super susans for the new kitchen.

Having had both, if I had a choice, I would go with a super susan. I realise the OP can't go with that option, so I'd consider doing what we did: maximising the storage space of the MC units. It took me a while to convince our cabinetmaker that the Magic Corner units simply did not hold as much as a SS, so he came up with a brilliant idea - he made us custom wood shelves for the bottom of the Magic Corner unit.

I'm probably not doing a good job of explaining this - so photos may help!

View of Magic Corner with door open. Note tha bottom shelf is not metal, but custom

The shelf from a closer angle. Note that the lower shelf is longer than the metal one, taking full advanatage of the cabinet space

Another view

The wood shelf is also wider than the shelves that came with the unit, so holds more. Even though I miss my susan, I do like this hybrid!

Eliz

• cabinfo
    13 years ago

buehl, does your whole door rotate, or open? If it rotates, can you post a picture of it somewhere? All the ones I've seen ended up looking like inset doors.