Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evasmama_gw

Help me renovate

evasmama
9 years ago

We are looking to give our kitchen a much needed facelift to match the rest of our house which is pretty transitional. It is a 1965 colonial in New England and doesn't get a ton of light. We opened the wall in between kitchen and dining room, which helped but needs lighter cabinets ASAP.
Am thinking of refacing cabinets (white wood shaker) instead of replacing because we'd like to keep costs down as well as keep granite. Also want to do back splash, get a counter deep fridge, maybe change window to a bay window and change out light over sink. Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• herbflavor
    9 years ago

a close up or better description of cabs would help. Noticing off hand the door hinges are conspicuous- probably an easy fix. I Like the cabs however-thinking these are cherry and you are right it's a transitional doorstyle so I might leave them-depending on condition of course.Spend money on very light/white counters and textural or great tiles also light/white for backsplash. New handles for cabs. How about some roll out inside "add-ons" for those bottoms if you aren't going to replace with base drawers.If you want lighter ambience then replace a few upper doors with glass doors. Light counter and backsplash will play up the cabs/along with under cab lighting and some glass doors will lighten up the space. Refacing??-personally I probably wouldn't.... but am thinking the cabs are quite acceptable-need more info. Price out a new window...what is there now?...provide more pics.....is the kitchen configured the way you want...is this an "interim" activity till you move or gut everything?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

is it a 1 story house? if so, maybe a solar tube in ceiling?
    cabs look good. how about silver looking knobs? yours look goldish - or is that the lighting?

what is on the floor?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

From the photo, I see no reason to spend the money on refacing. There are plenty of ways to brighten up your kitchen... Backsplash, lighting, cabinet hardware, etc :)

• evasmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. The house is a 2 story colonial so a solar tube wouldn't work. And I don't hate the granite, but I do hate the cabinets, so am much more likely to change those over counter top. I don't know why I want white cabinets so badly, but I just do. It is a semi temporary fix. We think we'll stay 5-10 more years unless the housing market changes a lot . Definitely replacing hinges and hardware.,.weve already put in so much lighting (pendants, recessed) the only thing worth changing is the ugly light over sink.

• evasmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. The house is a 2 story colonial so a solar tube wouldn't work. And I don't hate the granite, but I do hate the cabinets, so am much more likely to change those over counter top. I don't know why I want white cabinets so badly, but I just do. It is a semi temporary fix. We think we'll stay 5-10 more years unless the housing market changes a lot . Definitely replacing hinges and hardware.,.weve already put in so much lighting (pendants, recessed) the only thing worth changing is the ugly light over sink.

• evasmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA