Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tea4all

Favorite apps for iPad to use in kitchen?

tea4all
11 years ago

I received an iPad for Christmas and just know that some of you will have knowledge about great apps to use in the kitchen. I'm new at this (no iPhone or smart phone) so could use any advice you have.

Last night a friend told me that Pepperplate would be a great resource for me. Does anyone have experience with this app?? I'd really like to have recipes on my iPad. What do you use?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Comments (31)

• KAREN
    11 years ago

I use Paprika, I really like it. I'm in the process of transfering all my recipes to the iPad. I find it very user friendly. I think it was a $10.00 app.
    Parts

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I keep them in the cloud - currently using DropBox - but might look into a few of these apps for our ipad (which I hardly ever get to touch!)
    How do you support your ipad in the kitchen? I am thinking of mounting it inside a door - I don't want to cut a hole in the door!

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Glad you asked. I was looking for an app but couldn't find one. Didn't search correctly. Found more than 30 "recipe manager" apps. Very handy those. Question is how well they work.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Parts and A2gemini. I'll look into Paprika and also the DropBox. I have a lot to learn. It should be fun exploring these.

A2g-- At the link below they show 6 different mounts for the iPad and a 'sleeve' to protect it from spills in the kitchen. Seeing that my plastic coated recipe cards get messy, I think I better check into the sleeve as well as some kind of mount. Also Amazon had an interesting looking undercabinet mount for the iPad @ http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Mount-Original-Ipad-Black/dp/B004ADY2C0/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

I hope other GW iPad users will chime in with good ideas on mounts.

Here is a link that might be useful: iPad accessories for kitchen

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rococogurl--I was posting as you posted so missed your entry. Yes, you are right that the "Question is how well they work". That is why I figured an experienced GWer iPad user would surely know and share with us.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Paprika has been my favorite recipe app. It's great taking pictures of a finished item and using your own picture along with the recipe. I use the grocery list feature, and with a copy on my iphone, it is very convenient. Other than that, I have a few coupon apps, namely one called Grocery, I think (I just go in it, I don't remember its name).

There's a free app called Apps, I think (I can look it up if it sounds interesting), that is an aggregate of a bunch of reviews of apps. Very convenient. But when I'm looking for an app review for a specified item, I just google search and get a bunch of tech feeds that are very helpful.

I'm on my ipad all the time (with work mostly - & checking GW...), but find I don't use it in the kitchen other than listed above. I do use it extensively to map out and chronicle my garden...very convenient and fun. The list could go on and on re all that I use it for, but since its kitchen use is minimal, I have no need to permanently hang it somewhere, although the thought did just cross my mind.

You are in for a whole new world of apps! Have fun!

• az88
    11 years ago

Another one you might want to check out is The Recipe Box($4). I started using it when I wanted all of my Christmas cookie recipes in one location. My favorite feature is the ability to import recipes from some of the popular recipe sites, like allrecipes. For a few I had to type the recipe into the app, but for most I found them online and either imported or did a quick cut and paste.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AnnaA--Paprika definitely sounds intriguing! Maybe I'll have to get an iPhone too. And Oh My Goodness I hadn't even thought about coupon apps. Wow! My little world is going to explode. I can see the iPad could quickly become an appendage. ;) Thanks!

Az88--The Recipe Box sounds great. Thanks for sharing. Importing recipes will save a bunch of printer ink and paper for me.

• Sherriode
    11 years ago

I just purchased Recipe Box a few days ago, and I really like it. As az88 said, importing recipes is super easy. Another feature I noticed today- the screen does not shut off if you haven't touched it in a while. When I was just reading recipes from the Internet, just using the web browser, the screen kept shutting off while I was cooking. Then I'd have to touch it to turn it back on. Usually with messy fingers. With this app, the recipe stays up with no touching.

• artemis78
    11 years ago

I really like the two Mark Bittman book apps, How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. We have the HTCE book, though an old edition, but I find the apps really helpful with the various built-in gadgets (timers for steps, etc.) and don't use the book much anymore.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sherriode--Recipe Box sounds like a gem. I will certainly check it out. Thanks for sharing the helpful info about it!

Artemis78--gadgets sound like a plus to the Bittman book apps. The books sound very interesting. Tomorrow I'll be checking on those apps.

GWers you are wonderful to share all your info. Thanks so much. This is very helpful to me.

• artemis78
    11 years ago

Oh, and I like Pepperplate a lot too! I chose it mainly because it was the only one at the time that was compatible with a couple of sites I use a lot, but I'm curious to know how well Paprika does at clipping recipes from other sites--that seems like a neat feature.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Artemis78 for adding about Pepperplate. All this is a new world to me and I feel like I'm in over my head.

• Mimou-GW
    11 years ago

I didn't buy a sleeve. Someone on GW said they slip their iPad into a gallon ziplock bag. I do that all the time now.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nan--what a super idea!! That,s so easy and something I have on hand. Thanks for such a useful tip!

• bons
    11 years ago

I use YummySoup. I have it on my MacBook, my iPhone (handy when I shopping and forget my shopping list) and on my iPad. New and improved version coming out in a few weeks. I like it on my MacBook because it's real easy to scale recipes. I'm hoping it can do the same on the new iOS version.

Bonnie

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Almost forgot, my favorite ipad kitchen-oriented magazine is Cook's Illustrated. Embedded videos, beautiful graphics and color. I have a subscription to MS's ipad magazine as well, but like the CI better. But both are fun, educational. I love flying now and having a whole archive of my books and magazines - and games and.., yes, it's become an appendage.

Oh, and the YouTube videos demonstrating various ipad covers - there might be videos demonstrating kitchen mounting devices for the ipad?

• KAREN
    11 years ago

Paprika does a great job of getting recipes from many popular websites. It is so easy, very cool!!
    Parts

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bons--Scaling recipes would be a really nice feature. Love the name YummySoup! How will I ever catch up with all the technology?!

AnnaA--My house will surely go to pot while I enjoy learning and exploring on the iPad. CI sounds marvelous! I had not even thought about magazine subscriptions. Ooohhh what a delight! Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Another feature I noticed today- the screen does not shut off if you haven't touched it in a while.

This is a nice feature when an app has it, but if not, you can do it yourself by going to the settings and choosing Never for Autolock.(I'd put it back on when you're done cooking, though, or you may find the battery's down way sooner than normal.)

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Parts--EASY, cool, and "does a great job" sounds good to me! Thanks!

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Writersblock--Thanks for telling me how to change the Autoblock. I'm a real novice. And sometimes I find how to do something on the iPad and then the next day I cannot remember how I did it so it takes me longer to hunt around. Hopefully the learning curve will get shorter.

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

I will have to check these apps out! The only one I use is Evernote. I scanned all of my paper recipes in and dropped them into Evernote. Now they are all searchable because of OCR and I can access my recipes from my CPU, iPad or anywhere with Internet access. It has been nice to pull up my best pancake recipe on vacation without having to think ahead to take it. I also clip recipes that I find on the net and put them in Evernote. It is a very easy system without many bells and whistles like above.

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

I'm another Paprika user. I love it.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Momto3kiddos--searchable, easy, and quickly available with Internet access--Evernote sounds very good and I will check it out. thanks for your input!

gin_gin--I'm so glad for you response. Paprika seems to be very popular. It's going to be hard deciding between all these apps! That's a nice problem to have. Before I posted this thread, I had now idea which apps were worth getting. GWers are the best!!!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Not sure if there is an app but a website that has been discussed on this site is eatyourbooks.com. You list the cookbooks you own on the site and then you are able to search for recipes in your own cookbooks without having to open up each book. Great for someone who owns a lot of cookbooks.
    One app I love for the kitchen for both design ideas and recipes is pinterest.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Tea- thanks for the link- I bought one from the apple store but returned it - it was well built but just too much in your face. I like the look of the steelie- but counter space might be too limited- so will check out some others on the list!

Also love the app name paprika - so will have to check it out along with some of the others.

Nan - wow an iPhone bicycle bag on steroids. Most serious bicyclists who carry a phone put it in a zip lock to protect from moisture (and also have a zip lock "wallet")

Has anyone downloaded the Bon appetite app?

• ljcrochet
    11 years ago

I just started using Pepperplate. I love how easy it is to enter recipes from websites on the computer, and how easy it is to see them while cooking. I do wish it gave the nutritional info for the recipes as well.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Camphappy--oh yes, Pinterest. Love it too! I need to explore the eatyourbooks site. We live in an amazing age!

A2gemini--I'm sure there are lots of different under cabinet mounts. That link just happened to be something I had been reading about that sounded interesting. I would sure like to know what you end up with.

A Bob Appetite app??? Oh my, there are more apps than time available to check the out! ;). Oh dear, a silly typo--I meant Bon Appetite. I haven't figured out if it is possible to back up on this iPad keyboard w/out erasing to make corrections.

1jcrochet--nutritional info is very helpful! I would like that too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>I haven't figured out if it is possible to back up on this iPad keyboard w/out erasing to make corrections.

To make corrections when you've typed on beyond the letters you want to change, put your finger on the typo and hold it there. A magnifying glass will appear showing you a larger view of where the cursor is. When the magnifier is visible you can slide the cursor around till it's just to the right of the mistake. Then just backspace over the wrong letter(s) and retype.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Writersblock you are a lifesaver!!!! You have just made my day! Thanks.