Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metal2

gizmonike-- question about your layout

metal2
16 years ago

gizmonike-

I saw a picture of you kitchen on the 'rectangular island' post and am thinking about a simialr layout for my kitchen. How do you like it and would you do it again? What would you change? What about the prep sink on the stove counter? How big is your space, aisles, island?

Thanks! Gorgeous kichen!!

Comments (4)

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We love our kitchen layout! We originally planned for two islands, but ended up choosing the one big one to get maximum contiguous prep and plating countertop space. We also have better storage there, I think. Our kitchen is "inside" of a great room that includes our family room, breakfast area, and a self-serve beverage bar. I was tired of being in the kitchen & everyone else in the family room, so we made the kitchen the center of our new home. Parties & family gatherings always seem to end up in the kitchen, and we finally have enough space. We put the "business" end of the kitchen towards the range, and everything was placed by function into zones. We worried about the island being a barrier but the zones take care of that. A few things we have simply duplicated, like measuring equipment & a few tools like bowls & spoons.

Sorry about the small photo; I scaled it down too much. Our prep sink is actually on the corner of our island. Here's a photo looking in from the other hallway:

Here's the clean-up sink wall:

Our range, flanked by an induction cooktop & teppanyaki grill:

• metal2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the extra pics! Glad to hear that you like the layout. In my current layout I have the clean up sink placed halfway down the island and after seeing yours, I think I will move it down the wall closer to the stove/ en of the island. How far is the stove from the end of the island? Do you use your prep sink very much and lastly, how much overhang do you have on the island- 12"?, 15"?
    Love the modern design.

• sjerin
    16 years ago

And may I ask what kind of cabinets you have?

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

The island is 46" away from the range, although its oven handle protrudes 3", or 43" away.

We use our prep sink a lot, & love that it is accessible from two sides of our island, close to the cooktop/range as well as our refrigerator, freezer, & pantry.

Our island overhang is 16", which gives us plenty of room for counter-height stools & kneespace.

Our inspiration was initially Bulthaulp, a German cabinet company, but it proved too expensive to implement in our kitchen. Our interior designer has an architect-trained associate who is very kitchen-savvy & did our final drawings, and we had a local cabinet maker construct the cabinets. They were built in the cabinetmaker's shop & installed on site. The face wood is Douglas fir.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH