Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassieanne3_gw

How to use dedicated pantry space best?

cassieanne3
15 years ago

Hi all.

We are currently in the building process of a new home. I have space set aside for pantry space. It is approximately 13ft wide by 3ft deep. I do not have to use all the space, and I can split it up into 2 pantry closets, etc. I have much flexibility in my decision. However, I do not know how to best arrange this space.

What kind of doors should I use? Bifold? Sliding? Regular door? What would look good in a kitchen?

My cabinets will be dark cherry with a cream island.

I would love any and all advice you can give.

Disregard the small walls in the storage/pantry space. I could do something like that and split them up, but right now it is all open.

Comments (9)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You are fortunate to have such nice storage space!
    -Do you need a closet by that back door?

-Could you benefit from storing things specific to bbqing or outdoor dining?

-Do you need a broom and cleaning supply closet?

-Do you need cookbook storage?

-Do you need pet supply storage and/or feeding station?

All things you could think about in deciding how or if you want to break it up.

French doors would look gorgeous, but not be too practical. It seems bifold doors would allow you to see the most at a time, and also get out of your way best, and they are available in lots of styles, so don't need to be the ugly, regular closet kind.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

I would want lots of strong, adjustable, solid shelving that is not too deep.

Door choice depends on how much traffic you will get vs. access to the space. For example, a full swing out door might give you quick & wide access but block the traffic pattern. Split doors give you the same wide access with less blockage but require two pulls instead of one. Sliders don't block but don't let you see the whole space.

Another idea you might consider are built-in pull-outs, "door" attached, either full height or split into bottom & top units. These let you pack the shelves & you can still get to the "back" easily.

I'd probably install a mix of pullouts along with one or two closet style spaces with adjustable shelving. I'd use the pullouts for cans, boxes, jars, & bottles, and the closet shelving for things like small appliances, stock pots, linens, bulk items, etc.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Have you seen his awesome thread on pantries? They're not all the style of yours, but it may be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: pantry interiors shared

• rhome410
    15 years ago

trying again?

Here is a link that might be useful: pantry thread

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Probably not your style, but an interesting pantry nonetheless

Here is a link that might be useful: General Store

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

We have a pantry with strong fixed shelves. I didn't want adjustable shelves because I don't think they are as strong, and honestly, I generally set my shelves once and then never ever adjust them. What we did was figure out what we would store in there, and then make the shelf heights fit. For instance, we keep large cereal boxes in there, so we made a shelf that would accommodate those. We made lots of space between the top shelf and the ceiling so we could stack things that are seldom used up there, like big plastic bowls I use for chips etc. when we have outdoor parties in the summer.

On the other side, we made a shelf that is more of a table. We keep an extra microwave here. My husband insisted that he wanted a second microwave because there are times when you want to warm something up in one and cook something in another at the same time. I refused to have a second microwave in my kitchen, so we put it in the pantry. We don't use it often, but we do occassionally use it, and it has come in handy at parties, etc.

We have a large space under that shelf for bulk items, like giant packs of papers towels from Costco, etc.

Over that shelf, we have hooks for hanging barbecue tools, some other tools that are a bit too big for keeping in the kitchen drawers.

I also keep small appliances that I don't use often, like my crockpot, etc. on the shelves, paper goods, etc. Things that I don't use all the time, but I want easily accessible when it is time to use them.

I have a swinging door into my pantry. It has a handle so I can either push it in, or pull it out, depending on what I am carrying etc. And the hinge has what my KD called a positive stop, so I can push it open, or pull it open, and it will stay open. It is perfect.

I also have a window in my pantry, which is a nice feature, I think. I don't always have to turn the light on, I can just dash in and out.

I have never taken pictures of the inside of my pantry. I'll have to do that one of these days.

• cassieanne3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the ideas.
    I think that shallow shelves are a must for me. I tend to lose track of things very easily if they are stacked behind other things much.
    Rhome410...I will be printing this page out to keep your list of ideas for storage of things such as dog food,etc. I would never have thought of that. I definitely think that I would like a dedicated space for that. Also, thanks for the link you posted. Such great ideas. I only wish my space could be more "walk-in".
    I do need ideas of doors. One of my main concerns is not having the "ugly" bifold closet doors in my kitchen. What kind of decorative bifolds have you seen?
    Jeannie...you sound very organized. I see that I will need to make a list of what exactly I need to store. Good advice, thank you.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I know that almost any door company will offer different styles of bifolds, but in a quick internet search, I found this page showing 3 different attractive styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: nice looking bifolds

• jessicaleigh
    15 years ago

jeannie_kitchen

i would LOVE to see a pic of your door that leads into your pantry!