Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wascolette

92% Finished White Kitchen

wascolette
15 years ago

This has been a long time coming (5 years), but I thought I should post these now as it may be much longer before the kitchen is 100% finished. We are using the kitchen now and the remaining things are minor, toe kicks, painting corbels on island, refrigerator panels, glass in cabinets, etc. My wonderful DH who has done the whole house construction almost single handedly (except kitchen cabinets which a friend of ours made w/ DH helping) installed the soapstone. We did have the marble yard mitre the island top edges and install. They did a beautiful job. It's wonderful to actually be using the kitchen after all these years. My range sat in our garage for at least 2 years! Surprisingly, one of my favorite features is the pull out garbage/recyle bins. It's such a simple thing but I really love it.

Cabinets - custom

Cabinet paint - BM Atrium White

Wall paint - BM Barley

Isand paint - P&L Copenhagan blue

Range - Lacanche Cluny

Ventahood

Refrigerator - Kitchenaid

Dishwasher - Kitchenaid

Faucet - Hamat

Sink - Shaw 30"

Counters - Soapstone (Black Minas) www.shadleyssoapstone.com

Island - Calacutta Marble

Backsplash - 3x6 handmade subways from local tile shop

Floors - Kahrs

Stools - Ballard Designs catalog

Pendant Lights - Washington by R.A.M. Lighting

(purchased online at Lighting Universe)

Knobs & Pulls - Amerock Ambrosia in Weathered Nickle

{{gwi:1595237}}

{{gwi:1595239}}

{{gwi:1595241}}

{{gwi:1595243}}

{{gwi:1595245}}

Comments (32)

• tigernyc
    15 years ago

Awesome! Can you please tell me the color/material of those backsplash tiles???

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the blue on the island and the splashes of color on the hood, and the marble is gorgeous. The whole kitchen seems well designed. It was worth waiting for!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS, baby!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I think I remember sighing over your blue island a while back. Your marble is gorgeous. Do you have any beige veins in it?

Congratulations on your fabulous new space!

Erika

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Wascolette,
    What a gorgeous kitchen you have given your Lacanche! The preview pics you've posted in the past, were but a tease! I love everything about it. And to think your DH did most of it. Truly amazing. Well worth the wait and one of the prettiest kitchens I've seen. Congrats:)

• alice462
    15 years ago

What a beautiful job this is. What a telented DH you have! I have seen your pics before and am so happy for you that you are actually in it!

Nosy question - can you tell me about your table? It is one of the few square ones that I have seen and square is what I am trying to do in our breakfast area. I really love all of your elements together in this space.

• hamsundm
    15 years ago

wow, simply beautiful. I love it.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I LOVE this kitchen! What a beauty! An inspiration kitchen for sure!

• wascolette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all!

As to the backsplash tiles, they are from a local tileshop and had no mfg. name on them. The color was simply white. I will try to make it over to the tile store and ask them the mfg. and color.

Our unusual kitchen table has a funny story. My company downsized offices a few years ago and we had two large conference rooms with huge conference tables. When we moved space they were going to dump almost all of the furniture. My DH, the pack rat he is, had to come in and look over everything first. The conference tables were actually made up of 3 of these 5'x5' squares. So we took two of them home. I'd like something a little more rustic but this works for now. It can seat 8 and if we have a really large crowd we can pull out the other square and make it even bigger.

As to the marble, yes, it does have beige veining in it too. Here is a closeup:

• ourfixerup
    15 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen, really nice....I love the yellow
    on the walls.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

WOW! You have made a beautiful kitchen! So soothing and calm. Your blue island is an oasis. Great choices, beautiful work!

• caligal
    15 years ago

Really, really, nice...
    Love the arches, the windows,
    the range, your art, the
    desk area... I could go on and on.
    Great job, enjoy!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Everything is so beautiful! It looks very similar to the kitchen we're working on so I'm pleased to see so many familiar things working together so nicely. Wonderful job!

I wondered if you might be able to share a straight-on shot of your Minas, if it's not too much trouble. We're having a heck of a time choosing our soapstone.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Very nice! A white kitchen looks so wonderful with inset cabinets.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen and it makes me all the more ready to get mine going!!

Can you please tell me about your windows? I am putting 3 casements in above my sink and wanted to know what brand they are and if they are casements. I like that grill pattern, it's exactly what I'm looking for. Are the grills between the glass?

Thanks!

Kat

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Amazing that your DH did most of it himself. There are so many things to admire and the overall effect is definitely a wonderful place to work in. Our chambers stove stayed in the garage for a couple of years, too, and is now sitting hooked up in our just started kitchen renovation on a dolly to make it easier to move around when we need to work. I will be so glad when we get to 92%!!!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Beautiful!

• nutherokie_gw
    15 years ago

Gosh, what a beautiful kitchen! And do I spy pullout cutting boards? Perfect. Did you have trouble installing your integrated Kitchenaid dishwasher? That's what I really want but I keep reading that it's difficult to get them to look good with inset cabinets. Yours looks great.

• zeebee
    15 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! It looks like a magazine photo. I love the backsplash, the island and the detailing on your cabs.

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I think that doing a faux marble finish on your corbels to match the countertop would be stunning.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I looked at your photos earlier today and, incredibly enough, was rendered speechless (I am the original chatty cathy). Even without the background info your kitchen is fantastic, but reading how you and your partner have done it all makes it even more spectacular.

I remember your earlier post about your marble and I think the mitering is a fascinating idea -- what a way to give a beefier look. I wish I'd known about it -- please be v. vocal about it here!!!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the story. I wish you happy cooking!

Love it!

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

OMH. I just said a dirty word in my head. What a beautiful kitchen. It's an absolute show-stopper. And it's a perfect example of how a b/w kitchen can be really, really warm. And sophisticated. And timeless. Congratulations!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Mitering marble?? What's that about? Tell me more please!

• alice462
    15 years ago

I just knew you were going to tell us that your DH made that table -- to bad for me. It is just great!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Beautiful kit. You must be thrilled.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I want to know about the "mitering marble", too!! I will be having our marble for the island templated tomorrow and would love to find out about yours.

• nauset
    15 years ago

How beautiful! Love your stools!! I have been looking for pics of yellow paint in a kitchen. I am leaning toward BM Straw which is very similar to Barley. Your kitchen gives me inspiration!

Carole

• wascolette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Below is a link to different edge options. Mitre edge is similar but very different from a straight square edge. In square they cut horizontally another piece and clue it together. Whereas with mitre they cut the marble diagonally at the corner. Mitre is more expensive but very worth it because they can match the marble veining so it looks like one thick piece. With the straight edge they will not be able to match the veining perfectly. Definitely ask your fabricator about this option.

As to our windows, we had them custom made to match the existing windows in our 1926 house. There are two separate "lights" or pieces of glass in the top separated by a piece of wood. It is not one piece of glass with wood on top of the glass. The decision to have them custom made was because we wanted the new 2nd floor to be consistent with the existing bottom floor. They are all wood and will have to be painted and maintained on a regular basis, but DH is up for it.

About the KA DW, I think it looks fine with the inset cabinets and as my DH is a plumber, he had no problems at all installing it. It works great and is very quiet.

Posting these pictures and hearing the great feedback has inspired me to try to get those last little details done so I can post over on the Finished Kitchens. Thank you to everyone here over the years who helped me with the myriads of decisions that went into our kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edge options

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and it looks 100% finished! Great job!

• wascolette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of how the mitre edge makes the stone look like one big thick slab. The veining continues smoothly.

{{gwi:1595249}}

And a closeup of our Minas soapstone.

{{gwi:1563378}}

• BirchPoint
    10 years ago

Would love to see this kitchen as it has elements that I am considering but the pictures have been deleted.