Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmelt_gw

Space between hood bottom and cooktop?

azmelt
14 years ago

I can't seem to find the thread discussing the optimal space between the bottom the the hood and top of the cooktop. Our installer has asked me how far from the cooktop I want the bottom of the hood installed.

We will have a Zephyr Typhoon (36") over an electric cooktop. I want to make sure I take advantage of the cfm of this hood (850), but at the same time I don't want to bump my head into it as I cook, nor do I want to be blinded by its lights because it is placed too high.

I'm 5'9.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Comments (7)

• ellabee_2016
    14 years ago

Zephyr (and other hood mfgrs) will specify a recommended maximum distance from the cooktop for best functioning. Local code may specify a minimum distance. So that's the range of possibilities within which you need to work.

I've been investigating this same question, though my next vent hood installation is a lot further in the future than yours. When cooking, you want if possible to be able to lean forward to have a look at the contents of tall pots on the rear burners. I'm 5'9", and my current vent hood at 23" above the cooking surface is too low to allow that (we have a 7ft ceiling and it's mounted under a small run of cabinet). I'm pretty sure 30" would be fine. Try it with cardboard standing in for the hood edge and see what height allows you to lean in without bonking your head; use pots partially filled with water for realism. Then have someone hold the Zephyr up at that height to see if the lights will be a problem.

If the lights are slightly recessed in from the hood edge nearest you, I wouldn't expect there to be excessive glare when standing normally at the cooktop. But if the height needed to let you check on the back burners does result in too much light in your eyes, you could always hang a strip of coordinating cloth or foil along the front hood edge as a "light shield".

Best luck with the installation!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Our hood is 30" off our cooking surface (flat electric cooktop) and we have no problems w/bumping our heads or seeing what's cooking. Height in our family ranges from a low of 5'10" (me!) to my DH at 6'5" (someday soon my DS will pass him, but not yet!)

• ajard
    14 years ago

My appliance company told me 30 inches - 33 inches is the normal distance

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

The under-cabinet version of a typhoon says 24"to 32".(I'm not familiar enough with the zephyr line to know if there is some other version of a 36" typhoon).

• sue36
    14 years ago

Do not exceed the manufacturer's specs. I went 2" higher than recommended (due to DH's height) and regret it. I know it would work better if it was closer...and DH never cooks! I think 30" was the max for mine.

• azmelt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thx everyone. I'll do a mock-up with the cardboard--great idea--as well as trying to dig out the installation manual somewhere for the hood!