Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow_house

need vintage green paint color for cabinets - recommendations?

bungalow_house
10 years ago

House was built in 1930, so something generally appropriate to the era but still pleasing to today's eye is what I'm looking for. I am going to grab a sample of Ben Moore Guilford Green and Hancock Green later today. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. The Sherwin Williams store is just 2 doors down from Ben Moore.

Comments (23)

• drhomeideas
    10 years ago

BM Hampshire Gray is very nice. More green than gray in my lighting.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

BM Camouflage 2143-40. I used it on bath cabinetry in our old house (1889) and it is nice and subtle. Very gray/beige/green but still predominately green.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I loved the green that lisa_wi had in her kitchen. It is probably a S-W color; she was able to match the cabs to paint the peninsula. Maybe she is still around to tell the color?
    I had a sample from cliq in the tea leaf and it is not quite as gray as it appears in her photos but was a lovely, vintage-y looking color.

Here is a link that might be useful: green kitchen cabinets

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My grandmother always had her kitchen painted a bright apple green. My MIL always had her room painted more of a minty green...both stuck deep in the 30s.

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure my bathroom closet was last painted then -- do you want less punch than a 1930s green?
    If not, here's a gardenweb discussion:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0114360424462.html

An a pinterest link that gathers up some samples (UK paint companies seem to do more of this than those in the US).

Here is a link that might be useful: pinterest 1930s

• NWRain-Gal
    10 years ago

Hi,

We used a SW match of BM Texas Sage on the body of our 1925 Bungalow 4 years ago. I have enclosed a photo of the house just painted. The trim is SW match of Navajo White and SW Roycroft Red.

The green is a olivey grey sage color. There are a lot of Bungalows in our neighborhood with similar colors inside and out. Unfortunately our SW Texas Sage color match has not held up well in color retention since it was painted....faded dramatically! Much more yellow now. Will pursue with SW.

For an inside color, it would be very age appropriate for that era house. It is a very nice muted, soothing color. Would work well in a kitchen.

P.S. Please excuse the stair slope that is still in the original ugly grey paint. We hadn't yet painted it the SW Cocoon foundation color.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Texas Sage link

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Van alen green! So pretty. Or Hollingsworth? Reminds me of the kitchen in the Ringling mansion in Sarasota although that was completed ~mid 1920s. Dear giant sink and servants, get in my life. Pretty glass, you can come too.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 22:47

• uther
    10 years ago

I used "Fortress Stone" from Behr. It's one of those colors that changes all day. Sometimes gray, sometimes sage, sometimes khaki. In photographs it always shows more green. I'm really happy with it in my 1923 house.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Oh, I love green kitchens! I used to have a bunch clipped, but got rid of them when I finished my (not green) kitchen. Two I remember are 1929Spanish's and mama_goose's. Don't know their paint colors though.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1929's kitchen

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

And mama_goose's...

Here is a link that might be useful: mama_goose's kitchen

• Bunny
    10 years ago

BM Camouflage is lovely. That's what I have in my bedroom, my first foray into color on the wall. It's chameleon-like, but never seems to stray into blue.

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!

NWRain-girl, such a cute house! And robotropolis, that is a fantastic kitchen.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

uther, nice floor! What kind of wood/finish?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

So many beautiful kitchens! :)

I love vintage kitchens....and I've thought about warm white cabinets with Jadite green accents (island, plate rack, shelves, etc.) Would something like that work for you? {{gwi:1595086}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{gwi:1595087}}From 1920s kitchen project

• uther
    10 years ago

Thanks, linelle! They are actually 6x36 tile planks by Marazzi. Saddle is the color. I love it with my greenish cabs.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

uther, whoa! Very nice indeed.

• californiagirl
    10 years ago

Take a look at the Fine Paints of Europe and Farrow and Ball colors for that period green look. We have used both. We love Farrow's Vert de Terre. Also, don't be afraid to pick a color you like and then cut it with white to lighten it up.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Oh, hi. I just responded to your other post on decorating. Mine were the factory finish, not painted on site. Dynasty Omega in Pesto.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Best vintage green I ever found was on an old 1920's cake tin with a glass knob. I took it to the paint store and they matched it and I still love that color green. Maybe you could find a wonderful vintage green in an older item and have it matched?

• eam44
    10 years ago

I love, love, love Lavender's green bowl. The colors you are looking at are much greyer and more subdued; vintage doesn't have to mean dull. In fact they had a penchant for saturated color in the 1930s. I'll show you a couple of happier shades. The colors below yours are Farrow and Ball (a UK company) and can be color matched beautifully in SW paint.

Hancock Green

Guilford Green

Below are : Green Ground, Pavilion Blue, Cooking Apple Green, and Teresa's Green

• Gooster
    10 years ago

When I was researching my 1930s kitchen, I found colors that were a bit more intense than the muted shades of earlier periods. I still see the mint greens in original tiles in some homes in the neighborhood.

Here is a link that might be useful: somebody's 30s pinterest

• bungalow_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It is very helpful.

Here is the Guilford Green sample. At night it looks much more apple green. I might have to lighten it just a bit, but I think I am going to use it. The room is a NE and NW exposure, so it's somewhat dark. I think the grayishness of this color is really needed to keep it from being too garish. I want a nod to 1930, but yes, they used some pretty intense colors back then!

Now I'm having second thoughts about green cabinets/white walls vs. white cabinets/green walls. I posted that quandry over on the decorating forum...

This post was edited by bungalow_house on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 10:23

• jessicaml
    8 years ago

Bungalow_house, what did you end up doing?