Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyurcisin

My before and after. Thanks GW

nyurcisin
10 years ago

It feels a bit awkward posting these pics but since viewing so many of your photos helped me immensely through our reno, it's my little way of saying thanks and hopefully helping others. This site was truly invaluable. :) Peace ~Nan
ps- can't figure out how to post multiple pics in one post so posting separately..

Comments (81)

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Sharp - which is my current go to word for something I REALLY like.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Wow! What a lovely update! I'll bet that kitchen will be a joy to work in.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

That is an awesome transformation. I love, well...everything. I am curious about the size of your island. That's a really nice uninterrupted expanse of counter....the perfect party house!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! Great job.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are so kind with your comments! This reno was something we dreamed of for years, and thanks to this forum we learned so much and avoided possible problems.

We were very happy with the design service at Cliq. No matter who you end up purchasing cabinets from, it will obviously save you time and frustrations if you have a clear idea of how you want to use your space. Throughout this project my hubby's favorite line to me was 'you're over thinkin' it'. ;) I say it pays to over think! And you will be much happier in the end if you try and think of ALL the details beforehand, large and small.

The island counter is not a waterfall on one side. One side has a 36" cab and the other I had them design to neatly tuck one stool under for more comfortable conversation during quick meals when it's just the two of us. It can also seat three on the long side. Total dimensions of the island are approx 8x3'. I will take more photos when my stools and dining table come in. :)

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy, thanks! the pendant light fixtures are called Sayre by Kichler and available online in a pewter or bronze finish and 3 sizes. We found the best price at Littman Bros

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Lovely! Enjoy

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Love this! Please share details about flooring and wall color? This is just the right blend of elegant and comfortable, congratulations!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Really like the contrast of the island. Beautiful granite choices! Enjoy your kitchen.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Wow - what a beautiful transformation! I can't believe it's the same place!

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Looks great! Do I see a window seat in the living room, flanked by cabinets? Could we see a picture of that, please? Thanks!

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks kksmama :) the flooring is a laminate by Quik Step..it's their Reclaime line and the color is Flint Oak Planks. I used BM Rockport Gray in the kitchen and BM Revere Pewter in the living and dining areas. I absolutely labored over paint colors and happy to say these two compliment each other very well and look really nice with the flooring.

scootermom yes, that's exactly what you see ;) I will take some photos and post very soon..thank you!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Nan
    Great remodel! Losing the walls - genius! Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Love the island granite and the fireplace. What stone surrounds your fireplace?
    Unbelievable that its the same space, but that's what remodeling done right can do. Really nicely done.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

nan57 - lovely and serene. It's great!

• LE
    10 years ago

What? You're sure you didn't move? Nice job! Since today's obsession is vent hoods, is that the Venezia? Did you do the cupboards on the side right up to it or leave breathing room? (Sorry, next week I'm planning on moving on to the next item to obsess over-- I'm sure you know how it is...)

Enjoy your new space! It looks like it would make a lot of difference to your everyday life.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ppbenn thanks so much. losing the wall that divided the kitchen from living room was the single most positive improvement we made. I no longer feel alienated when family and friends gather (or claustrophobic because everyone is in the kitchen!;)

thanks oldbat and lori. lori I completely understand obsessing over details. Leaving no stone unturned makes for far less surprises and disappointments later. Try to get all the 'what ifs' worked out before you make decisions. I smiled when I read your post as the placement of the hood was another detail I wrestled with. In the end, we decided to do the cabs right up to the hood to give us as much upper cab space as possible. If I had more upper cabs, would probably have opted for some space around the hood. Hope this helps..good luck with your plans :)

• dccurlygirl
    10 years ago

Nan, do you have a photo of the view from your front door, towards the kitchen? I'd love to see what your guests see when they enter your home. Thanks!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

This is an amazing transformation! You must feel 20 years younger! Everything looks great.

I absolutely love your desk area, and the cabinetry above it, and the graphic rug right there.

Speaking of rugs, I just bought a big shag rug from Home Goods that looks exactly like the one in your living room...wondering if its the same?!

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

homebuyer23 that's too funny! I got that rug at HG too..bet it's the same one! We love it. But the rug search was quite the fiasco. Long story short..bought three others (yep, THREE), hated em, returned all and finally got this one and so happy with it. Talk about obsessing! ;) LOVE your new kitchen btw.

dccurlygirl..sure! I'll take some pics of that view tomorrow

• NewEnglandgal
    10 years ago

Wow!!! Nan, so impressed! I love it! You did a great job picking everything out and putting it all together.
    I am just starting my renovation and having such difficulty knowing what I want. It really looks fantastic!

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dcgirl, sorry, this isn't the greatest pic, but this is the view from just inside the front door.

Thanks, sammy62 :)

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

Your (very prettty) kitchen just showed up on my pinterst board. Did you pin it? Just wanted to let you know in the event you are not aware.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sparklebread really? I did not pin it. Hmm not sure what that means. Haven't been on Pinterest in months.

• BEG17
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your kitchen! It is beautiful!
    More details please.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some details for those interested:
    - Floors: Reclaime laminate by Quick Step, Flint Oak Planks
    - Pella cottage windows
    - Perimeter Cabs: Dayton White painted from Cliq Studios
    - Island cabs: Dayton style in Birch Sable from Cliq
    - Basic subway tile from HD, color Snow White
    - Brushed SS pulls by Liberty from HD
    - Range: Electrolux gas with warming oven
    - Range hood: XO brand from Itlay
    - Kraus 70/30 SS sink
    - Delta Ashton SS pull-down faucet
    - Kitchen Aid DW
    - Kitchen Aid SS Fridge
    - Island counter: Viscont White granite
    - Perimeter counters: Brushed Black Pearl granite
    - BM Rockport gray in kitchen
    - BM Revere pewter in dining and living areas
    - Island pendants: Sayre by Kichler
    - Rugs: Home Goods :)

This post was edited by Nan57 on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 21:13

• sundownr
    10 years ago

What a transformation - I love it!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I love your hood. I have had my eye on that one for a couple of years and plan on doing that this year if I ever get around to it. I have tile behind my stove all the way to about 8" from the ceiling. It has a crown tile piece on top that will have to be removed and that is the holdup. I just love how it looks in your kitchen and that gives me some inspiration to go forward. Your kitchen turned out so beautifully. It looks easy to work in, too. Good job!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Nan, so funny about the rug. It must be the right choice bc we both chose it to go in a room painted Revere Pewter with chocolate brown sofa and beigey/ivory window shades!
    Do you look as ridiculous vacuuming it as I do?! Its quite a workout!

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Wow, what an amazing transformation! It looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

So lovely! Everything is stunning!

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@homebuyer23 I laughed when I saw your living room photo..there was my shag rug and wall color! You know what they say about great minds.. ;) And yes, it's a workout to vac, although I just got a super lightweight Windtunnel bagless and it zips over it much easier than my old clunker!

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. We're really enjoying the space now. We went back and forth with aisle spacing and glad we ended up going a little wider between perimeter and island. And purchasing the double door fridge (I originally wanted a single door) really helps with traffic passing behind when someone has the doors open. (Another great tip from GWers :)

This is a closer pic of our pantry/desk wall area. Almost everything I read about having a desk area in the kitchen was negative! Folks seem to mostly hate them and advised against them for various reasons, mainly cosmetic because they do tend to look cluttered. After a few do-overs on the design, I realized I personally needed a space for all the daily paper that we sift through, and I sure didn't want it to be on my new island top! I'm so happy I listened to my gut on this one...it's my command central and I love it. Plus, during the holidays I cleared it off and made an awesome beverage bar!

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@gr8day thank you! We shopped and researched a lot for the hood. We especially love that this one is not too loud and the lighting is excellent. Here is a closer shot of the area and backsplash. Good luck with yours

• Jordan E
    9 years ago

I almost didn't believe this 'after' photo!! It literally looks like a magazine, Nan! It also just happens to be almost exactly what I was picturing for my reno... We're shopping cabinets now and I just stumbled across Cliq and I'm quite intrigued! Are you happy with the quality?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Glad this resurfaced as you posted a few new pics since my first look. Love the wide open shot of the whole kitchen with the pantry/desk area. Beautiful rug.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing where you bought your cabinets as I love them! I think I will call them after all for a price. I love how everything goes so well together. Are you happy with the cabinets and the soft close? What height is your cabinets? Is the crown molding from Cliq Studios? How is the finish on the cabinet? I love the beautiful rug! I wish I had room for an island.

What color grout did you use with your subway tiles? It really looks so nice with the cabinets and counter.

I love the white pots! How do you like having dark counters to work on? They sure look beautiful. I love the counter on the island also.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

P.S. Is there anyway to show what the inside of the corner top cabinet looks like and the lower corner cabinet? Did you design for a trash can in one of the cabinets? I am still deciding if I will just continue to use my Simple Human Stainless Steel Trash Can that I love.

• heidia
    9 years ago

Amazing transformation!!!!

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

What a transformation. I love how light and airy it is now. You must be delighted with it.

• stealthecrumbs
    9 years ago

Nice job! How open and light. This is a really striking before and after.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Nan, it's gorgeous! Looks like a ton of work too. It really does look like a magazine shoot. Did you lose space in another part of the house to expand the kitchen?

• deedles
    9 years ago

Somehow I missed this reveal. A big WOW. I can't believe that is the same kitchen! It's really beautiful and so spacious now.

I'm sure you are having a great time enjoying yourself in there!

• kateshome
    9 years ago

What a wonderful job you did! So open and airy! I hear you about "over thinking". We are getting close to the end of our remodel and sometimes I feel like my head is going to pop off from all the thinking and rethinking I keep doing.Tonight I had my husband take me straight to the tile store, before we went out for dinner, just so I could order the tile and stop over thinking it!I'm just using white subway tile, what was there for me to keep thinking about! I hope my kitchen will look as welcoming as yours does.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the really nice comments. Glad I checked back in..I'll try and answer some questions if anyone is still out there :)

JoJoDIY Thanks for your comments! we are happy with the quality of cliq. I will admit that I have a wicked 'talent' for picking out imperfections and found a few with the cabs. Cliq was excellent, however, in standing behind them and making things right. For the price we paid I was willing to make peace with the little imperfections. Overall they look and function great. My feeling is if you have the money AND you're a perfectionist, you will probably want more custom cabs. If you're looking for bang for the buck, Cliq is a good option.

lyn2006..thanks for the kind words! the height of our cabs is 36" with a 6" crown. Cliq didn't offer a crown that I was in love with so I worked with the designer to come up with the look you see...it is a combination of both the base/toe-kick moulding (placed upside down) with the curved crown on top. (My husband/installer was just thrilled with that decision ;) I'll try and take a closeup for you to see.

The grout color was a light gray. We did work in a trash/recycling cabinet next to sink and I love it. The dark counters are great to work on..happy I went with the brushed/leathered finish as it hides everything. I'll try and take some pics of the corner cabs for you.

marti8a..we didn't lose any space by expanding the kitchen. We did however take down the wall that divided the kitchen from our living room and did a 4 ft addition out the front of our house. This provided the room we needed to include a dining area and proper traffic space.

• pamkcs
    9 years ago

Nan - Your kitchen is lovely. Looking at you fireplace, did you cover up a brick fireplace? I'm considering that...

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@pamkcs we did cover up a red brick fireplace. My husband took out a hearth and mantle then built out the surround with heavy smooth plywood and trim to mimic the cabs. He used the same crown moulding we used in the kitchen since we had enough materials left over.

• nyurcisin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*correction from above: the crown to ceiling has a straight edge, not curved

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

So pretty, light and airy! You must be so happy with it.

• Kim Benoit
    7 years ago

Can you tell me what the name of the colour for the countertop on the island? Love it!

• Jennifer Weinman
    7 years ago

Wonderful transformation! I'm trying to convince my husband to take out a wall in our 1902 victorian to open up our dark and dreary closed off kitchen to our dining room....he's not convinced. But maybe I'll show him this!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms