Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xoxosmom_gw

Do you think this backsplash is going to be too busy?

16 years ago

I originally planned on a serene backsplash. I wanted the granite to be the focal point, cabinets and then backsplash. But like most of my other decisions on this kitchen my plans change.

Dh thinks this is the perfect backsplash because it incorporates all the hues. I picked it so I like it, but I am worried that it might be too busy and in a year I will grow tired of it. What are your thoughts?

Comments (33)

• 16 years ago

I like the colors together, but I think you are right that it might look a little busy. Are those glass tiles? Do there come in a bigger size? I think the small size of the tiles competes with the granite, whereas a bigger scale backsplash might better complement it.

• 16 years ago

Great job bringing all your colors together! I esp. like the way the sienna (? not sure what to call the darkest tile in the backsplash mosaic) incorporates the color of your cabinets to your granite.

I think you're seeing it now in small-scale (the samples), which is why you're worried about it being busy. I think when it's in as your backsplash you won't find it busy or boring in a year. I think if you went with all one color then you'd grow bored in a year!

Although with that being said, I am really partial to what appears to be the sage green tile in the mosaic. If you change your mind (which is absolutely your prerogative!), that color alone could prove to be the serene backsplash of your original vision.

• 16 years ago

I feel your pain. I spent 10 minutes picking granite, 5 minutes picking cabinet doors and have been trying to pick out a backsplash for weeks. My feeling is that yes, it's too busy. I think a small amount of it used as an accent or just behind the stove would probably be fine. Otherwise, just one of those colors (or a variation thereof), would be perfect.

• 16 years ago

I like each of the elements separately. But, somehow, I don't like the backsplash next to the granite. Perhaps the ratio of the tones is off? I don't know. But, you've got it positioned all on the same plane in the photo. The BS will be perpendicular to the granite, so that may change things- the way light hits each one, the way the eye perceives it, etc.

I also have to admit to a BS bias, I'm not keen on BS's taking away from the gorgeous (and expensive) granites, SS whatever. I personally lean towards what you're calling serene. I agree with rm and fran that one of the sages/tans in solid would make a good BS.

But, of course, it's your kitchen, and what you like goes!

• 16 years ago

I'm partial to glass tile and drawn even more toward earth tones. I admire many kitchens that have alot of contrast however; when I browse kitchens for personal inspiration I'm always drawn more toward those with a more monochromatic scheme. Look through the FKB and see which kitchens hit you when your thinking of your own living space. I'll stop at many I think are beautiful but know it doesn't match my personal style. The ones that make me say, I WANT THAT!... are the ones I look for color inspiration from. Try looking through the backsplash slideshow and see what makes you stop and say,... HMMMMM...

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash slideshow

• 16 years ago

First of all, make sure you look at these samples on a surface that is not similar in color. When picking out things I will try and make my decision with the samples placed on a backgroud that is similar in color to what the walls will be painted.

From what I can see on the screen, it looks beautiful and I don't think the two will compete. You have to remember that you see the backsplash and the counters at two totally different angles. The mosaics bridge the light value of the cabs and the counters.

Take your samples and set them up the way they will be in your kitchen--put the mosaic upright at a 90 degree to the counter--same with the cab sample. The granite is going to reflect more light from above than the backsplash so it might not look as busy as it looks side by side.

The mosaic sample is going to look out of proportion to everything else because it is such a big sample. When you view it from 3-4 feet away it really is more homogenous than it looks when you have everything side by side.

• 16 years ago

What about using a larger field tile and the glass mosaics for bling in a design (such as a glass mosaic behind the range, or a strip of the glass tiles a 6-9 inches above the counter with subways in the more serene tile you were originally thinking going up to the upper cabs? That might give you both the bling and something that doesn't feel too busy.

• 16 years ago

Your colors are great they match perfectly and I love warm earth tones....but to answer your question I do think the tiles are too small so yes it will look "busy", I think my eye would be drawn more to the backsplash then anything else. Would you consider bigger tiles in one of the lighter colors with a row of the small ones as an accent border. I linked a design below but imagine it with your tiles/colrs.

Here is a link that might be useful: sort of like this

• 16 years ago

I think the backsplash tiles match wonderfully, and yes, I think they're going to be too busy :)

I agree with Sarschlos about using a strip of the mosaic. Either with plain field tiles, or with a lighter mosaic.

You can probably get just the light colors on a mesh, and then throw in strips that include the ocher and dark shades. You'd still have a lot of movement, but by limiting the heavy contrast to a detail you cut down a lot on busyness and get more of the serenity you're looking for.

• 16 years ago

I don't like it, myself, although I do see how it's more of the same.

I'd go for a crackle subway tile in a creamy off white and let your granite shine. Those glass tiles may also reflect your UC lighting in an annoying way.

• 16 years ago

We have a similar backsplash, though in darker colors that are more or less in the same palette as yours. Whether it will be too busy in your kitchen also depends on how much surface area it will cover - I don't think it is too busy in ours, but maybe that is because it really isn't that much surface area compared to the cabinets, counters, etc., which are all more solid in color. Here are a couple pics, though to help you visualize what those little tiles look like on a wall (and ours are the littlest of tiles - less than 1/2"). We get a lot of compliments on the backsplash, but I don't think it overshadows the counter, for example, as lots of people notice it and comment on that as well.

• 16 years ago

I don't think the size is the problem, it's the contrast that will add to busyness or lack of serenity. Smaller tiles can use a combination of colors to give an overall blend and singular look, as opposed to big tiles, where each calls attention to itself. It think maybe you could use all of these same colors, if you could just sprinkle in the red ones, rather than have them have such a strong presence...But I suppose this is a predone mosaic, where you can't change the color proportions.

• 16 years ago

Like raehelen, I'm not liking the splash with the granite, though separately, they are both nice. I think the splash has too much going on with that granite. I'd keep it simple, but incorporate a colored tile here and there if you are going with 1" tiles.

Also, the thing that may be making it appear busy IS the 1" tiles. Larger ones might just be what you need.

• 16 years ago

I like the responder's suggestion who said try a stripe of it with a neutral field tile. The neutral field tile we found and used is Juperana Gold, a tumbled marble. In the Finished Kitchens Blog look at Patti_B 's kitchen because she did it with subway tile. We didn't do a stripe but we mixed neutral field tile with darker glass tile and red limestone tile 2 x 2 inch pieces. The kitchen designer sketched it out for me a about 2 minutes after I showed her the color tiles I really liked be told her I thought they were 'too much' and I'd get tired of it after 2 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchen blog to backsplash use of dark glass tile

• 16 years ago

I think the colors in each look great together, but agree it's too much of a good thing. I think the larger tiles might work, with mainly the plain glass and a little of the gold and red thrown in here and there. I also like the idea of just a strip of the little ones with a plain field tile.

Your granite looks similar to mine (Santa C.?) as does your wall color, and I had the worst time finding a back splash that wasn't too busy for my floor tile and granite. I finally went with a full granite back splash and took the easy way out - I was exhausted! :-)

• 16 years ago

I like a little action going on in the backsplash. atsmith--i love the look with your hood and the basksplash, very nice. Ours is similar to many of yours as well. It is a mix of travertine and smoked glass and regular glass:

• 16 years ago

I like the colors, but I wonder if there is too much of the darker (deep amber?) tiles. It might depend on how much you have and how it is placed.

Atsmith's splash tiles have less contrast between themselves and a lot more between the splash and the counter, so the look is calmer. You have more contrast in your sample and less between the main tones in the tile and the grantie -- so the darker tiles pop. The question in my mind is whether you would have enough of those darker tones to be popping all over the place or whether you have limited splash and it's more like some aded interest. Unless your splash is pretty limited and on only one or two sides of the room, I'd favor something will less pop factor.

While we were in progress with our kitchen, I saw links to a glass tile source where you could get customized mosaic mixes. I think it might have been Susan Jablon. I hope that is at least close enough to spark someone else to rememebr and be able to post a link for you or enable you to google it. If you could customize a mix of the same colors but with less of the darker one, that might work.

The accent of glass tiles is another possibility. You could also order extra tile and have your installer replace some of the darker ones with the lighter ones -- a bit labor intensive, so make sure your installer is up for it or that you are prepared to sit and pop out some and figure out how to stick in the new ones until you are happy with them (and realize they may not all be perfectly placed, in case that would bother you -- some might be slightly off center).

• 16 years ago

Hope this helps, From Mag - Kitchen and Bath Ideas June 07

{{gwi:1594850}}

• 16 years ago

I don't know about Susan Jablon, but Hakatai allows you to make a custom mix and fiddle with the colors with their Custom Blend Tool. We didn't get ours from them, but we did look into it and order samples as their prices are very reasonable. . .

http://www.hakatai.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Hakatai site

• 16 years ago

What is the name of the paint colors and granite?

• 16 years ago

I think it will be great! But be careful with your grout selection. I did a glass mosaic from Hakitai and used a light grout. I think it would have been better with a dark one-less busy.

• 16 years ago

Yes it is amazing how the grout color can affect the overall look. That custom blend tool is good for experimenting with that as well.

• 16 years ago

It all seems to look lovely together but for me personally it would probably be too busy. I think a "busy" countertop material and a "busy" backsplash are just too much - but that may just be me. I tend to like things that are more simple and less "fussy". If it were me I'd want to be looking at some photos of kitchens with something similar on the counter along with a multicolor mosaic backsplash - to see if this look was appealing to me. I've seen some beautiful mosaic backsplashes here but the ones I really loved were the ones where the other elements (like counters) were plain or very subtle pattern.

• 16 years ago

I prefer the "busy" look to be in either the countertop OR backsplash, but not both. If you look at the pics above from atsmith, brosamj, and vwhippiechick, you see backsplashes like that one paired with quieter counters, and they all look fabulous. I would go with one busy surface or the other--whichever you like more--but not both of them.

• 16 years ago

Like holligator, I think that two "busy" surfaces tend to compete with each other for your attention, and they tend to cancel each other out. I always thought of the backsplash as a "bridge" between the upper cabinets and the counter top and lower cabinets. My backsplash is similar to sue b's. I used a row of 4 x 4 inch field tiles, with three rows of 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch mosaic, then 3 x 6 inch subway tiles the rest of the way. I wanted something different above the range, and that led me to the final design, which incorporates the mosaic tile. I was initially not happy with the grout lines I ended up with, but I think it makes the kitchen look more "old fashioned", which was the look I was going for. While my backsplash seems to work in my kitchen, I don't think it would look good in a more modern kitchen.

I really like your granite, and if you want it to be the focal point of your kitchen, a more neutral backsplash will certainly bring it to the forefront.

You're certainly not alone in changing your mind about your vision for your kitchen. I can't tell you how many times I changed my mind about nearly every element of my kitchen. The way my kitchen turned out looks nothing like my original vision. I found the backsplash to absolutely be the most agonizing decision of all!

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics

• 16 years ago

I like the colors you chose, however, the pattern would make me sick. Bring your color into your kitchen in your window treatments and accessories. I'd rather go for a classic, sophisticated 'background', than one that is too trendy. You'd be so tired of it in a year or two and would want a 're-do'.

• 16 years ago

I like your granite, it's very similar to mine but I think the 1" mosaic tiles will be too busy. Have you considered a more neutral tile in a larger size and then using the mosaic as an accent strip? How big is the backsplash area you are planning to tile? The size of the area will make a difference in the intensity of the pattern....yes, size does matter :=)

• 16 years ago

I love the granite you picked. What is it? St. Cecilia maybe?

Laurie

• 16 years ago

I love the granite- and I'm not a granite girl, and I love the mosaic tile- but together- I do think they will be busy. I think it may be all a little to much. I know what cabs you have ( we have the same style) so I think you may want to go w/ something a little more subtle for the backsplash- OR if you love that backsplash and just have to have it, a granite that is a little less busy would complement it. All of your choices have been so classic so far- do you think a glass mosaic tile may be too modern and trendy for the look your going for?

• 16 years ago

I had a similar situation. I wanted the full mosaic, but my husband did not. This is what we came up with!

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Backsplash

• 16 years ago

Atsmith, I have always loved your backsplash (and kitchen).

Xoxosmom, Your glass tiles are very nice but not with the countertop as others have mentioned. So here is another vote to not use too much of it.

• 16 years ago

Too busy. You need to either choose solid colored backsplash or solid colored countertop. The colors are awesome though. Good luck!

• 16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I forgot to post an update, I took the backsplash back with the intention of going for my original plan of a serene backsplash. I am waiting for the granite to be installed so I can get an idea of the true background color I want to pick up.

I haven't looked for backsplash inspiration because I had a panic attack earlier this week about our floor tile and wall colors. So I am still dealing with my apprehension on that.

You all are the best.