Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seliles

Need pictures of your lighting over the sink

seliles
14 years ago

I am trying to decide whether to put just can lighting over my sink or a pendant or maybe sconces. So many choices. My kitchen will have off-white creamy cabinets, Bianco Romano countertops, and hardwood floors ... kind of a transitional look. If any of you have some pictures, I'd love to see them. Just wondered what would look great and provide good lighting as well!

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Pardon the picture, there is no window treatment, paint is old, no crown, etc etc etc. But I love my light. I have 2 Irish crystal chandys in the kitchen--one over the island and one over the table. So this light works well:

{{gwi:1594116}}

Here is a profession picture:
    {{gwi:1594117}}

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks beekeeperswife! I love that.....haven't seen one quite like it. Can you tell me who the manufacturer is?

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Thanks. It is by Elk Lighting, The Modena Collection. It came with a 40 watt bulb--it was as if you were looking at the sun if you tried to look at it. It was rather distracting. We put in a 10 or 20 watt bulb, much better. The crystal actually acts as a magnifier.

There are other lights in the collection too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modena collection

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Here's mine. I have recessed Cree LR6 LED's for most of my lighting and I love them. Over the sink there was not room for two cans in the ceiling and I was afraid that one would not be enough. I got this from Schoolhouse Electric. It has two bulbs. If you look at the upper part of the room, i.e., the wall above the window, it looks a bit dark, but the lighting for working at the sink is fine - I never notice a lack of light, but I still would have preferred two more Cree LED's.

Schoolhouse Electric and Rejuvenation allow you to choose you fixture, choose the color, choose the globes, choose the length of poles, sometimes the number of lights, etc.

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks mamalynn.

I have the same situation; I don't think I have room for 2 cans over the sink. I really like your Schoolhouse Electric fixture. And I also love your leaded glass!!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

C'mon GW'ers let's see some sink lights...mine are not yet installed so I can't help, but I too want to see more pics!

• katiee511
    14 years ago

Here's mine. One can light over sink, on it's own switch, no dimmer. The rest of my kitchen also has can lights, but on a dimmer. It's enough light for our small kitchen. Although I love the look of pendants I chose not to have anything hanging due to the height of our faucet. We raised our ceiling and I wanted it to be as open as I could, given we were re-using our old cabinets and lay-out.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Here is mine, single pendant from Schoolhouse Electric. It was a custom made one, combination of their Willamette with a different canopy. I love it.

Good luck!

{{gwi:1594119}}

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

don't have pic of it up [still remodeling] yet...

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

tntw, that pineapple light almost looks like mercury glass. Is it? Just wondered how much the light bulb shines through. I love it...it's very different.

• prill
    14 years ago

Here's mine.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

when the light shines through it's spotted. it's very cool. I was nervous about it but it makes ME happy [and my kids love it]. looks great with the stainless stove across from it....

still staining cabinets...pics soon.

Trish

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

so pretty. love the stone, and backsplash...but tell me more about your paper towel holder? i'd love to have mine up like that.

Trish

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

This photo is mid-construction, but it shown the can lights on. You just see light, not the source. There are two 4" cans above the farm sink, and 9 5" cans throughout the ceiling. I used the black Alzak reflector trims to eliminate glare.

This is with just the sink lights and under-cabinet xenons, a little later in the process. A pair of light sources over the sink is better because they cancel each other's shadows.

Casey

• seliles
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks prill and sombreuil_mongrel.

What are black Alzak reflector trims ?

Ant tntw, could you tell me the name/manufacturer of your pineapple light? It's really growing on me.

Thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Alzak is a brand name of a type of recessed trim generically called "specular reflectors". I used black, but they are made in mirror-finished silver, and a champagne gold as well as matte finish.
    Link to halo alzak trims below.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo Gold Alzak Trim

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Is this for a "straight" window that's flush with the exterior wall? Or, is it a bump-out of some type (square, bay)?

Is it a window down to the counter? Or, is it raised a few inches above the counter?

My window is a bay window that's down to the counter. I have two pendants in the window well and 3 recessed lights in the ceiling above the sink...set back towards the wall so someone working at the sink will not block the light.

This are the best pictures I can find that shows both sets of lights...

(Yes, I need to work on "decorating" my kitchen!)