Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorado_plantswoman

Sealer for leathered granite countertop

Deb
10 years ago

Hello. I need to seal my leathered granite countertop. My research indicates that Miracle 511 Impregnator is a good sealer for polished granite, but I can't find any information as to whether it's safe and effective for leathered granite. Do any of you have experience with leathered granite, and if so, is there a penetrating sealer that you can recommend?

Comments (7)

• Deb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help, hollysprings!

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

My granite and quartzite are going in today. I am assuming the fabricator will seal it. Should I reseal it about once a year? I have leathered antique brown and macaubus quartzite. Is "Miracle" a good product for both of those?

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Sealing is a very confusing topic-the sealer companies and human nature makes it that way.
    The question of sealing if it hasn't been addressed by your stone pro get informed about what you are buying and what role sealing will play.
    Simply stated every stone will have its own characteristics regarding porosity and mineral composition.
    There are several simple tests that you can do so that you are informed.
    A water test will tell you just how porous or not your stone is. A lemon test will tell you about porosity and also acid sensitivity.
    The glass test will tell you if you are dealing with a true quartzite or not.
    Taking a sample home to work with and test is key.
    When dealing with the confusing nature of stone or any natural product you must be an "educated consumer" .
    You can be mislead by the most sincerest experts that have been misinformed regarding stone.
    Regarding sealers most main stream sealers are fine to use-Its all about the application. How many applications will you need for a porous stone?
    How often should I be sealing or not?
    Why am I sealing a stone that exhibits no porosity when tested?
    All the answers can be found online or on the forum.
    Getting back to the original questions-sealing every year is overkill. A sealer should last anywhere from 3 years and on.
    You must use neutral ph cleaners that wont degrade the sealer. Doing this will extend the life of the sealer.
    As far as the Macubus do the porosity test and see what you get.
    Your leathered antique brown isn't very porous but the fabricator may use a color enhancing sealer on the surface to bring out the depth of color. This product on that stone will sit on the surface and will have to be maintained over the course of its life.

• hank-mountainmarble
    10 years ago

Denver_Designer I have been using 511 for close to 30 years. As a pro I keep trying other products and keep coming back. It's a good product and will work fine on both stones. Be sure to wipe off all excess. Simple test to know when to re-seal. Take a handful of water, lay it on your tops, wait 5 minutes and wipe dry. If the stone is darker where the water was reseal otherwise forget it. srosen has good info, but the above test will suffice. We recommend plain dish soap and windex for cleaning these particular stones.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

I think the stone should be tested prior to applying sealer.
    The water test should be at least 15 minutes before wiping off the excess.
    Some stones are just to dense to be technically sealed.
    Porous stones need to be correctly sealed.
    A customer should know which type they have.
    We have many customers that have long term granite installs that have never stained and have never been sealed.
    If a stone is porous and needs to be sealed the ammonia in the Windex will degrade the sealer much faster than neutral ph no rinse cleaners.
    Soap over time will leaves residues that attract soils.
    Sorry I just don't think there is a cookie cutter approach to this. Each stone should should be properly treated for its characteristics.

• Deb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, srosen and hank. I've got an extra piece of the granite that I can play with.