Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Please help! Which of these sealers is best for Danby marble?

Madeline616
12 years ago

I've read so many threads on the various sealers, and still can't figure out which one (or maybe which combination of 2) would be best for my Danby Olympia White marble.

I've narrowed it down to this list...need to order the sealer now, as the countertop installation is fast approaching. Any advice would be appreciated!

1) Porous Plus 511

2) Porous Plus Impregnator

3) 511 followed by impregnator

4) STT SB...maybe followed by FE...

5) Akemi

BTW, Danby is more porous than other marbles, but Olympia white is a little more porous than some other Danbys (although still not as porous as Carrera/Calacatta).

Also, I read on one thread that 3 coats, applied with 72 hours between coats, is recommended for the best seal. My fabricator says this is overkill--any opinions? I'd rather overkill than under seal!

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I like the STT SB sealer (Deluxe). We used it on travertine and White Thassos (and our grout). It was very easy to apply and had extremely minimal odor. I know rococogurl liked the Akemi Nano for her marble.

If you call STT and speak with Stephen (company owner and developer of the products), he is a fountain of info and very helpful. There are new application instructions (since we'd last used this sealer) that were not on the can when I ordered more of the SB Deluxe last fall, and Stephen took the time to explain them to me. Basically, depending on how porous your material is, you just apply the sealer until the surface glistens, and then let it sit for 3-8 hrs until the stone appears to be mostly dry (maybe a few wet spots here and there, but nothing too much). Then buff the stone (back and forth a few times with a cloth) and that's it. If you need to apply another coat, I think you just do the same thing again (we didn't need to, as our new travertine tile throughout our downstairs is apparently not overly porous).

I really, really liked how easy the stuff is to use (I didn't like the Porous Plus, if that's the stronger of the two-- a bit of a PITA to buff off the excess), and really appreciated the low-odor.

So far the White Thassos in the bathrooms is holding up very well, and I imagine our new travertine floors also will.

• sail_away
    12 years ago

What is the STT SB? I have asthma, so the idea of an effective sealer with minimal odor sounds good to me. I was thinking of using this on our backsplash if we end up using the Carrara marble. Will it need to be reapplied periodically? Any tips for application?

• sayde
    12 years ago

I was surprised to see your statement that Danby is more porous than other marbles. I'm sure there are some marbles that are less porous than Danby but I thought I remembered reading that Danby is generally more dense, and less porous than many/most marbles.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I don't think it needs be reapplied very often, I had discussed this with Stephen when I'd called to order sealer this past fall, and don't remember how many years is the norm. I might have written it down somewhere--can look if you need me to. In any event, it probably depends on the particular material you are sealing.

STT is just a brand of sealer; SB is just one of their sealers (we used the SB Deluxe).

I've applied it using a rag (old white T-shirt, ripped up) and by using foam brushes. It really is easy to wipe or "brush" on and buff off.

Here is a link that might be useful: STT Sealers

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to call Stephen, so glad for te recommendation.

Sayde, sorry, that was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was Danby is *less* porous than many other marbles, but the Olympia White Danby is more porous than most of the other Vermont Danbys. So, Olympia is the most porous of the less porous marbles, but still leas porous than Carrera, Calacatta, etc.

Sorry for the confusion!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Yes, Danby should be less porous.